Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

The nature of the performances of others this season means top 4 is still a genuine possibility for the team which can put a run together. With the improvement in Man Utd’s attacking play recently, I don’t see why it couldn’t be them. Tottenham are going to become a winning machine now mind.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The nature of the performances of others this season means top 4 is still a genuine possibility for the team which can put a run together. With the improvement in Man Utd’s attacking play recently, I don’t see why it couldn’t be them. Tottenham are going to become a winning machine now mind.
With a couple of midfield additions in January of the required quality it's theoretically plausible. Ole will need to figure out an alternative to the counter attacking setup though.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Of all the reason people have been saying we should keep Ole you hardly hear we should keep him because we are finally playing attacking football again. I mean that's what most of us have been crying out for from our previous coaches. Ole isn't given us that even though that's what he promised. I mean maybe our squad isn't good enough for top 4 but I'm sure they are at least good enough to attack with urgency.

It's rather easy to sign England's best defender, Premier Leagues most promising right back and a recommendation from your previous teammate. It's rather easy to talk about the vision of the club and bringing it back to its glory days. It's also very easy to play youth depending on whether that's your kink. But it has proven difficult for us to play attacking football. Attacking with urgency rather than complacency. Couple that with bad results and a terrible position in the league... that for me is enough to want him gone

I mean from Moyes Van Gaal and Mourinho we've always complained about how passive or boring our style of play was. Why then do we ignore this when it comes to Ole. Why does he get a pass when the other managers we've had equally never gave us the attacking play we wanted

We also need to stop acting like Ole is the only manager out there that can sign good players, play youth and have a vision. There are managers that do this while also giving you attacking football. Sticking with Ole is like sticking with Pereira as no.10 because he came from the academy and has shown little flashes of brilliance while we could easily get a Bruno Fernandes or Van De Beek who press equally as much as Pereira and in addition would give us that creativity we need

Last edited:

Mainoldo

I’m really not that partisan on the matter in all honesty, so I wouldn’t reject him unless he was serving up the same big budget, short term dross that the other two had.
I see Woodward got you with this long term jibberish. How does it feel to be caught in the propaganda?

Mainoldo

With a couple of midfield additions in January of the required quality it's theoretically plausible. Ole will need to figure out an alternative to the counter attacking setup though.
We use to say the same about Mourinho. If he will just changed his tactics he’ll turn this around. Ole ain’t changing no bloody tactics. Does he even get a different hair cut?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We use to say the same about Mourinho. If he will just changed his tactics he’ll turn this around. Ole ain’t changing no bloody tactics. Does he even get a different hair cut?
I'm not expecting it.

fps

Exactly. Not likely or a done deal, but plausible and despite the odd regression there’s been progress recently.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the real question is.. if he’s still here. Will he actually by midfielders that suit his double pivot counter attacking style.
I think those waiting to see him blossom into a good manager would contend that he's using this double pivot for the counter attack because he hasn't got too many other options. But I shouldn't really put words in their mouths :wenger:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question: Why do you imagine that being negative in a press conference is going to have any type of positive impact on the playergroup?

And for that matter: There is a distinct difference between being against a manager, and being a complaintfountain that rivals the supervolcano under Yellowstone
Ha ha, good one( not on sarcastic way).
Man management is not only; " bravo boys, good one boys, you are the best etc". And when your coach is happy after draw against SU then players will be also happy. Which again is not good if you are Man Utd ffs. For Cardiff manager it is great result.

And yeah, i have agenda against Ole. Because he is bloody not good for Man Utd. If people can moan about Glazers, Ed or Phil Jones then why should Ole be excused? Because he is a fecking legend? I don't care for that. He is today Man Utd manager and he is doing awful job

TheReligion

Abusive
You consider losses against Astana (youth team, granted), Newcastle, Bournemouth, West Ham, Palace and draws against Wolves, Southampton, Rochdale, AZ, Sheffield United over the course of less than half a season a good job for a Manchester United manager?
United beat Rochdale FYI. This is like an election campaign. Fetch the bar charts!

Anustart89

United beat Rochdale FYI. This is like an election campaign. Fetch the bar charts!
If you'd put money on United winning the game, you'd have lost your money. Because it ended in a draw, which is not a win.

We progressed in the cup against Rochdale, but that's not what I was arguing. I was pointing out that we didn't beat them, with the obvious implication that it was over 90 minutes of football.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you'd put money on United winning the game, you'd have lost your money. Because it ended in a draw, which is not a win.

We progressed in the cup against Rochdale, but that's not what I was arguing. I was pointing out that we didn't beat them, with the obvious implication that it was over 90 minutes of football.
You say potatoes I say potato. Really who cares?

It was a crap performance, there's been plenty this season, but there's also been some good ones. We don't need to fudge things to tell people that. We all know it's a mixed bag at the moment, it just seems some people weren't expecting that so are a bit peeved about it.

Anustart89

You say potatoes I say potato. Really who cares?

It was a crap performance, there's been plenty this season, but there's also been some good ones. We don't need to fudge things to tell people that. We all know it's a mixed bag at the moment, it just seems some people weren't expecting that so are a bit peeved about it.
I'm not the one fudging things though.

The reality is that over 90 minutes of football, which most games of football consist of, we couldn't beat a League One side. The poster I was responding to was saying Ole was doing a, and I quote, "good job" with this team. That game was just one of the examples over less than half a season where I was asking him whether it really constituted doing a good job getting the results that he has got.

Edit: You said it yourself, plenty of crap performances and some good ones. Is that a 'good' job? Is it even an acceptable one? Not for me.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not the one fudging things though.

The reality is that over 90 minutes of football, which most games of football consist of, we couldn't beat a League One side. The poster I was responding to was saying Ole was doing a, and I quote, "good job" with this team. That game was just one of the examples over less than half a season where I was asking him whether it really constituted doing a good job getting the results that he has got.

Edit: You said it yourself, plenty of crap performances and some good ones. Is that a 'good' job? Is it even an acceptable one? Not for me.
I was fully expecting a mixed season and I'm quite happy to have one if it means we make long term improvement. For the mixed results on the pitch I do think we are heading in the right direction moving forward. The squad is being slimmed down and we are making better choices with personnel. This process will be long but there's lots of changes taking place internally with regards to our structure and development - this isn't an overnight process. Does that excuse some of the results you mention? No it doesn't but it should help explain them.

People need to be patient and keep faith with what's going on. Ole might not be the one to complete the project but he's certainly got it started.

Cathy Ferguson

It will be interesting to see if the return of Pogba, our most creative player, at the expense of our weakest link, Pereira, is going to be a great improvement or not. If we also can add a quality player in January, be it a CM, or ACM, or RW, or a striker then things might be a bit more rosier. I think Ole is a decent manager, not world class but better than he gets credit for. Main problem is still a poor squad of players.

Untd55

We beat them on penalties. We couldn't beat them in the match; I wouldn't say it is the best thing to argue about.

Awful to need penalties to beat such dross.

SteveW

Changes? Yes.

By improving the selection process, not stupidly refuse to sign another top manager because the previous 2 doesn't work. For what its worth, Jose works in my eyes (2nd and Europa cup with our squad is indeed a job well done. can't expect him to beat the GOAT city team).

Plus, going for championship rejects ex legend Ole works for us eh?
Jose's achievements are overestimated. The EL covered a 6th place finish. The 2nd place season was fecking awful as well. We lost the league by millions. It just happened to coincide with the usual top 4 challengers being equally shit. Jose also wasted half a billion on crap players like Bailly and Matic. If he'd even got a few of his signings right we'd be far better off now.

90 + 5min

Barcelona change managers every 3 years sometimes less.
They don’t change the style and mentality. They pick a manager that suits their team and not like us who were damaging and destroying structure with so many different styles.

No, he isn't. We're 9th. No idea why you mentioned Ronaldo. Or any other of the players.

SAF was a young manager who broke the Old Firm stranglehold in Scotland AND won a European trophy with Aberdeen. Of course he deserved it.

EDIT if you want the name of a manager way more qualified than Ole, Allegri, for one. It's not exactly difficult.
I mentioned them because just that someone doesn’t know or believe in those people it is not always a bad choice.

Ole broke dominance by Rosenborg and made Molde best team for years to come setting standards

So if Allegri comes we win the League instantly and with same team as Ole has now. You can promise that?

You consider losses against Astana (youth team, granted), Newcastle, Bournemouth, West Ham, Palace and draws against Wolves, Southampton, Rochdale, AZ, Sheffield United over the course of less than half a season a good job for a Manchester United manager?
Do you see what you write? Why don’t you mention injuries? Or the team? Why don’t you mention going through to next round in Europa League and still in League Cup? Why don’t you mention beating Chelsea, Leicester and being only team so far that have taken points from Liverpool?

Please explain the good job he's doing with this team? We're conceding goals left, right and center and relying on 10 minutes of individual brilliance to scrape a draw against a newly promoted side. We've gone backwards since Jose's sacking, not forwards.
Looking at results yes. Looking at bigger picture as a club we are on the right way.

Any manager that understands tactics would be a good start. After a year with Ole at the wheel his only tactic seems to be, give it to our fast forwards. Surely there's more to football than that? With the odd exception like Liverpool in the first half or the cup game against Chelski he hasn't showed anything near good enough to be our manager. The first 70 minutes against Sheffield were a disgrace and the worrying thing is it wasn't a one off.

To say he's doing a good job with this team is just wrong.
So if we had another manager we’ve be going for PL title right now with the players we got? Oh yes. We had even better managers and players and still didn’t manage to get near title.
Everyone knew that results would be up and down. It is about having patience.

Sterling Archer

So this actually is not true. Eight of the starting eleven in that game are in our official first team squad. Our manager deemed them good enough to be first team players on a regular basis for Manchester United. On that basis alone, you have to wonder how that team couldnt comfortably beat a team from Khazakstan...unless the manager was wrong about the kids being good enough to handle that kind of load on their own.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I was fully expecting a mixed season and I'm quite happy to have one if it means we make long term improvement. For the mixed results on the pitch I do think we are heading in the right direction moving forward. The squad is being slimmed down and we are making better choices with personnel. This process will be long but there's lots of changes taking place internally with regards to our structure and development - this isn't an overnight process. Does that excuse some of the results you mention? No it doesn't but it should help explain them.

People need to be patient and keep faith with what's going on. Ole might not be the one to complete the project but he's certainly got it started.
Indeed. Unfortunately some fans don't believe in patience, which is highly ironic because if you want to give our youth a chance you have to be patient. So ultimately it seems like a clash of attitudes, some want to bring through youth and seem to be fairly sensible in regards to what the entails. Others want results and therefore youth should be cast aside in favour of senior players who will be consistent. The problem being that we have very few seniors in the squad who are capable of playing football. Therefore another long rebuild required. Joy.

Stick with Ole till the Summer and if there's no clear signs of progress by May, bring in another with the same ethos to continue the project.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Jose's achievements are overestimated. The EL covered a 6th place finish. The 2nd place season was fecking awful as well. We lost the league by millions. It just happened to coincide with the usual top 4 challengers being equally shit. Jose also wasted half a billion on crap players like Bailly and Matic. If he'd even got a few of his signings right we'd be far better off now.
If his 2nd is awful and lost the place by millions what do you call ole's season?

I dont mind if people think 2nd is nothing, but the double standard for ole is sickening.

For jose it's title or sacked. For ole is 3 years as long as we're not relegated.

Hawks2008

If his 2nd is awful and lost the place by millions what do you call ole's season?

I dont mind if people think 2nd is nothing, but the double standard for ole is sickening.

For jose it's title or sacked. For ole is 3 years as long as we're not relegated.
That last sentence is spot on. The ole cult want to keep lowering the bar til it's low enough for him to reach it, we could finish 10th and they will spin it as if that's the best result any manager on the planet could deliver. It's always everyone's fault but Ole's. Standards have gone and too many are letting their heart rule their heads.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
So this actually is not true. Eight of the starting eleven in that game are in our official first team squad. Our manager deemed them good enough to be first team players on a regular basis for Manchester United. On that basis alone, you have to wonder how that team couldnt comfortably beat a team from Khazakstan...unless the manager was wrong about the kids being good enough to handle that kind of load on their own.
He's had poor judgement about a lot of things unfortunately. It's why we are where we are.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Say it louder for the people at the back!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Indeed. Unfortunately some fans don't believe in patience, which is highly ironic because if you want to give our youth a chance you have to be patient. So ultimately it seems like a clash of attitudes, some want to bring through youth and seem to be fairly sensible in regards to what the entails. Others want results and therefore youth should be cast aside in favour of senior players who will be consistent. The problem being that we have very few seniors in the squad who are capable of playing football. Therefore another long rebuild required. Joy.

Stick with Ole till the Summer and if there's no clear signs of progress by May, bring in another with the same ethos to continue the project.
There's a difference between having
belief and hence patience in Mason Greenwood and the same in Kieron Richardson.

Un4givableB

That last sentence is spot on. The ole cult want to keep lowering the bar til it's low enough for him to reach it, we could finish 10th and they will spin it as if that's the best result any manager on the planet could deliver. It's always everyone's fault but Ole's. Standards have gone and too many are letting their heart rule their heads.
All the spinning in the world won't change the fact is that he's a mediocre manager if he had the City or Liverpool squad he wouldn't get into the top 4 & we will not get into the top 4 as long he's our manager.
We have the Teemu Pukki of premiership managers and that's probably not fair to Pukki.

Mainoldo

They don’t change the style and mentality. They pick a manager that suits their team and not like us who were damaging and destroying structure with so many different styles.
Well we’ve picked 4 pragmatic managers so I disagree again. The styles bar LVG have been consistent. Maybe we should attempt a forward thinking manager, might bring us success.

Eric's Seagull

Well... signing super stars Di Maria, BFS, Depay, Veron, has proven to be a failure. Let's try and sign championship players only.
I wouldn't try to sign Championship players only. Obviously if there was a very good player playing in Europe and they within our budget and we had a realistic chance og getting them then go for it.

But seeing at the amount that players cost these days maybe it would be sensible to sign some of these players from the lower League teams before a so-called smaller Premiership team signs them and keeps them for a year or two and they ask ludicrous prices.

Judas

Open to offers
Win today and Man Utd are 6th.
Yep, but we've got to win first, which is the big issue. We could have flown up the table many times in the last few weeks and stumbled.

Think Villa will be well up for it, hopefully we score first and can settle into our groove. But it could be yet another horrible day at the office if we start slow, don't take our chances and get caught out again.

AFC NimbleThumb

This comment made me a conspiracy theorist earlier on this year, glad to see more have caught up.

OgS seemed this squad good enough, he is underachieving on a weekly basis with the squad.

People want to give him credit for getting rid of the dross they didn’t like but no criticism for his inability to identify realistic targets to improve this team in the summer.

I’m not hearing the targets he wanted weren’t available when the midfield we have could be easily improved.

Cantona in disguise

I think if we dont get a result today ed will pull the trigger. 3 points today is a must then a good run or ole is just walking that plank for a few more weeks.

I could see woodward having poch in the seat in time for spurs. Seems like his style.

I'm probably 100% wrong of course.

MrVolley

Ole is not a manager for us.
In fact I'd go as far as saying he doesn't appear to have a managerial bone in his body.

Status
Not open for further replies.