Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
From a game theory perspective, surely it was more wise to wait with the contract stuff till the summer break?

Dansk

Unless Eriksen and Kane leave Spurs, Poch would be a fool to switch to United. It's entirely within the realm of possibility for Tottenham to win trophies next season--even this one, for that matter, being halfway in the CL final already. Why should Poch gamble on United where one manager after another has failed in the last six years? Everybody with any sense knows that the manager is not the problem at United, it's something else, so any competent manager knows that they can't just expect things to work out even if they do their job right. He could become Tottenham's most praised manager and usher in a new era for them and their new stadium if he wins either the CL now or the PL next year, both of which seem more likely right now than him turning United around where all others have failed. No way in hell would I give up the Spurs job unless they lose their two best players in the summer.

Sweet Square

We've lost something like six games since the start of March and we're getting absolutely horsed by an Everton side that lost to Fulham last week. If he can turn things around before the end of the season then I'm all for him staying on and doing what he can to improve us, but it's fairly clear there are some glaring problems emerging and if we want to heap praise on him for when he does well, we need to be willing to give him flak when he isn't doing so well.
People on here think he should be sacked.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Looks like he has lost the players. Even before everton scored i was looking at us and we were second to every 50/50. Perfect day for football as well, not like its rainy. Players just cannot be bothered. Most of them just strolling around the pitch.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Nobody will be allowed to sell all the crap, the club is run to make money for the owners. They mainly want to invest in marquee signing that can sell shirts and they can include on the adverts for the various commercial deals. The Glazers just want to keep the club ticking over in to the top four without having to seriously invest. This is the reason Ole was given the job in the first place - they thought they could get away with minimal investment in the summer.
Absolute joke and they are running the club into the ground.

Skills

Snitch
Aye, we backed Mourinho to the hilt. The creeping revisionism that our previous managers weren't responsible for their own failures is baffling. It's possible for our issues to both stem from board level and from the managers as well.
I think some people still have 2.5 years of Mourinho spunk dribbling down their mouths.

BulgarianDevil91

The problem is all that you have listed. Hence, the solution is to hire a proven, experienced coach, someone not past it like LvG or Jose, but who has been successful working with average players, keeps a cool head and is willing to take on the job. Pochettino was perfect.

In contrast, Ole is an unknown quantity. Can we gamble with that when the squad is already so poor? Not unless he did the impossible like winning the CL or making top 4 atleast, but even that is gone now. Hiring an inexperienced or incompetent manager is going to compound the problems.

Nobody is blaming Ole. Woodward gave him the contract too early. Probably the only club chief in history to have cocked up next season months before it even began, a new record.
You're probably right, but as I said in another reply, he might not be the best manager out there, but he'll definitely make it his task to lay solid foundations for whoever replaces him in the future. I am 100% sure he is as big a fan of this club as any of us and wants only what's best for the club.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I agree they should have broke the bank for Poch and let him sell all the crap at this club and build his team.

Now next season is a leap year because United wont get top 4 Ole will be sacked by Christmas and the cycle continues again.
I'm not even sure Poch would have been the answer and that is what scares me.

The football side of our club needs a revamp starting with Woodward stepping aside.

Classical Mechanic

We've lost something like six games since the start of March and we're getting absolutely horsed by an Everton side that lost to Fulham last week. If he can turn things around before the end of the season then I'm all for him staying on and doing what he can to improve us, but it's fairly clear there are some glaring problems emerging and if we want to heap praise on him for when he does well, we need to be willing to give him flak when he isn't doing so well.
I think if the slide continues and there is a proven manager that's available then we have to get rid. This performance is up there with the worst of Moyes.

Skills

Snitch
It was widely acknowledged that selling Pogba was a mistake once he went on to become a key player at Juve. He's frustrating but his quality has often been fairly evident.
We never even sold him. He left on a free

Look-a-Hill

But that's often because said managers are appointed with the presumption that they're good enough to do the job. Ole was literally brought in as a stopgap to get us to the end of the season - his early good performances were what eventually earned him the main role, but now that good form has gone away it's increasingly a lot harder to justify why he should warrant extended faith. What's he done to earn it? I don't want to heap all of the blame on him because the club has systemic problems which run much deeper, but if we're going to condemn the players when they hit poor dips of form I don't see why the manager should be any different. You can't have it both ways: if he gets praise for improving us, he needs to take flak when we fall to shite. Otherwise we're being far too selective.
Why does Ole have to share the blame for players not paying attention, being unable to pass 5 yards or trap a ball? If he was playing these shitters whilst Messi was sat on the bench I'd understand but he's essentially trying to make a meal with rotting food and semen stained utensils.

Ludens the Red

The players have been a complete and utter disgrace this last month and blame should lie squarely on their shoulders, however.... my god how fecking stupid are we? What was there to gain from making Ole the permanent manager when we did?

The whole rise in form came off the back of the new manager bounce, an experimental hiring, why not wait and see what happens after that bounce? It was a perfect situation, nobody had over committed. We were in a perfect situation. The season could have petered out and Ole would have quietly left with no dramas. There was no pressure.
If the form carried on great, we decide in the summer.

Now we’re stuck in this completely stupid of what was an avoidable situation.
Simple fact is Ole will have far more leverage than Lvg and Mourinho did, which means we essentially have to give him as much time as possible of this three year deal.
Now again, yes the players are a shambles at the moment but we’ve been soundly outplayed and outfought by Wolves twice, Watford, West Ham and Everton. Being comprehensively beaten by Barcelona can be expected and accepted, getting routinely outdone by the sort of teams we have been don’t put Ole in a good light.

It just sums up this shambles of a football club and once again Ed Woodward.

Romez

This has been coming for a long time.

People were just blinded by the results.

Halfway between that winning/unbeaten run we have been playing like shite, people ignored it because we kept winning.

Where has that attacking football gone from the first few weeks? When we pressed high, the defensive line was high, the fullbacks were high and we scored or at least created a nice passing move practically every game.

No reason why we shouldn’t have waited until the end of the season to make a decision.

Now we’re losing Herrera, will probably lose De Gea and could lose Pogba too. We’re such a mess from top to bottom.

WPMUFC

if he doesn't start 5-6 academy players against city, his words are meaningless. He said the players needed a reality check, they stopped playing for him. If he has any balls, we will put an academy team out there against City and not even have those players on the bench.

We have nothing to play for. It's time to make a stand against these charlatans.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think if the slide continues and there is a proven manager that's available then we have to get rid. This performance is up there with the worst of Moyes.
There's an argument it's our worst result of the post-Fergie era. Struggling to think of a more embarrassing one.

Zoo

It’s humiliation today and Ole needs to front up to this. It’s completely unacceptable and he shouldn’t hide away from this in the press.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why does Ole have to share the blame for players not paying attention, being unable to pass 5 yards or trap a ball? If he was playing these shitters whilst Messi was sat on the bench I'd understand but he's essentially trying to make a meal with rotting food and semen stained utensils.
He was doing fine when he came in, no manager controls individual passes or moves on the pitch but it's their job to motivate players properly and to get them performing. Again, if he warranted praise when he came in for doing well, he has to take criticism when things begin to fall apart.

The Purley King

The concerning thing is the motivation levels.
This was a fecking massive game, crucial for top4 hopes and people aren’t giving anywhere close to 100%.
This was supposed to be the part that ole can do. I can forgive some tactical naivety but the basics, like fecking trying hard we should be doing.
That is down to the manager I’m afraid.

3KDré

If there was clear sign of attacking patterns being established I wouldn’t mind this result however we’ve been getting worse offensively since the Cardiff game. It’s not good enough.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Aye, we backed Mourinho to the hilt. The creeping revisionism that our previous managers weren't responsible for their own failures is baffling. It's possible for our issues to both stem from board level and from the managers as well.
In our case, a continual and toxic mix of the two for the past 6 years. How Woodward still has a job is beyond me. We laughed at Moyes' 6 year contract.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Nobody will be allowed to sell all the crap, the club is run to make money for the owners. They mainly want to invest in marquee signing that can sell shirts and they can include on the adverts for the various commercial deals. The Glazers just want to keep the club ticking over in to the top four without having to seriously invest. This is the reason Ole was given the job in the first place - they thought they could get away with minimal investment in the summer.
I have said this tons of times. It's a complete farce. Until Woody/Glazers are shamed and rooted out, we're forever going to wallowing in mediocrity. No wonder Pogba/De Gea reportedly want out. They know we have no real intention of competing.

The fans are being taken for the biggest mugs in the world.

sugar_kane

I'm worried that he's too much of a pushover, if he had any guts about about him he would drop Pogba, Martial - feck it even De Gea, for Wednesday.

BulgarianDevil91

So it was all Solskjaer when things were going well, and it's all the players when things are going badly? OK mate.
You're saying this as if you're quoting me on something I've actually never said. I am no expert, but in my opinion it was always the players. They stepped up after the sacking of Mou to "show" the world they had a problem with him and have now settled down back to their actual level.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The players have been a complete and utter disgrace this last month and blame should lie squarely on their shoulders, however.... my god how fecking stupid are we? What was there to gain from making Ole the permanent manager when we did?

The whole rise in form came off the back of the new manager bounce, an experimental hiring, why not wait and see what happens after that bounce? It was a perfect situation, nobody had over committed. We were in a perfect situation. The season could have petered out and Ole would have quietly left with no dramas. There was no pressure.
If the form carried on great, we decide in the summer.

Now we’re stuck in this completely stupid of what was an avoidable situation.
Simple fact is Ole will have far more leverage than Lvg and Mourinho did, which means we essentially have to give him as much time as possible of this three year deal.
Now again, yes the players are a shambles at the moment but we’ve been soundly outplayed and outfought by Wolves twice, Watford, West Ham and Everton. Being comprehensively beaten by Barcelona can be expected and accepted, getting routinely outdone by the sort of teams we have been don’t put Ole in a good light.

It just sums up this shambles of a football club and once again Ed Woodward.
Shame every single person outside of our board of directors could see this. But NOOOOO, they have to ride the social media hype train, so here we are completely fecked.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's a start and something that has to be done. Of course we need an improved structure, but a DOF is hardly the answer. That's just somebody else being the guy to target players instead of the manager. What difference does that make? We need to fut the players that dont belong here. The players who see us as a pay day or are here to feck around and make headlines but not give 100% every single day. Those that arent good enough. Spending money is absolutely the answer at this point because we really do need to replace like half of them. That's the only way the mentality will change, the expectations will change, the professionalism will change, and who knows, maybe we'll be able to string 3 passes against Everton then.
We will exchange one group of mercenaries for another.

I'm not saying don't spend money. But doing it in a state of panic when everyone knows we are desperate will just see us getting fleeced in the market.

I say sacrifice next season and restructure. Woodward isn't the answer and has shown so.

kps88

Heh funny stat that Pep's City lost at Everton 4-0 a couple of years ago. Just goes to show how quickly things can change.

Yakuza_devils

Hope he does a Scholes and resign now.

The attacking game had gone after the honeymoon period.

starman

Keep Ole, but we need so many more players it's a joke that it won't be 6.
Can't just keep bringing in player after player like some conveyor belt and hoping for the best. I am happy with 3 quality players that are right.
Lukaku & Sanchez can get out however

crossy1686

career ending
I hope he comes out swinging at full time. These players don't deserve protecting, they've done him no favours today and played like they want him sacked

Skills

Snitch
Believe it or not, neither do the other 20 clubs in the league. There's literally only 1 Lionel Messi, and if no manager can perform without him they're all in big trouble ;)

Classical Mechanic

If there was clear sign of attacking patterns being established I wouldn’t mind this result however we’ve been getting worse offensively since the Cardiff game. It’s not good enough.
There's no patterns of anything. I have no clue what style we have or what we are trying to achieve tactically.

Status
Not open for further replies.