Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjenIsM3

Not going to comment on the other nonsense, but why does anyone care about if we could get rid of Rojo or Jones? No, Manchester United should not care if a player still has resale value or not and neither should the club care if a worse player sits on the bench or in the reserves. Smalling wasn't loaned because nobody wanted Rojo, he was loaned because Ole thinks the latter is better. Yes, he actually is that dumb.
Another newbie bites the dust. Shame.

R'hllor

The fans who are more knowledgeable and close to the club in your eyes seem to be supporting more. The fans with looser bonds to the club and on Twitter seem to be a majority Ole out.

There will be people who overlapping on each side. I respect RAB for example, who goes to plenty of games and loves the club. But the Twitter mob and the fans who don't have the deeper connection really struggle to see the bigger picture.
:lol:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
No, he fecking won't. He is the least inspiring manager we've had since 2013, neck and neck with David Moyes. He has absolutely nothing about him and his demeanour in the dugout is a perfect personification of his 'spark'. Drab, lifeless and lacking impetus. In 2021 when we have a new manager, we will look back on this period as our worst since SAF retired. David Moyes left us in 7th, we'll look back at the time we were 10th with horror.
I always think pressers and post matches tell a lot about a manager..there’s something different between the presses/post match of great managers and the the rest. ( exception made for language barrie)

Ole‘s pressers are dull, lack engagement, show someone who has difficulty expressing himself..yet this is someone who we expect to excel in the most fundamental part of “football MANAGEMENT” the management and coaching of different players and personalities.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I always think pressers and post matches tell a lot about a manager..there’s something different between the presses/post match of great managers and the the rest. ( exception made for language barrie)

Ole‘s pressers are dull, lack engagement, show someone who has difficulty expressing himself..yet this is someone who we expect to excel in the most fundamental part of “football MANAGEMENT” the management and coaching of different players and personalities.
The press conferences are literally the least important part of football management.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Okay. But you’re not actually making sense. If we can identify a forward we can do the same to identify a midfielder. There’s not one position more harder than the other. I mean you identify Haland who you said is not a back up but then also said we might be able to get him if we offer to loan him back. What the hell would be the point in that. Just means we are in the same position with a lower bank balance. Loan him back to train and play a Europa league game? There season starts in March.
Isn't the second bolded obvious? Liverpool did the same with Keita.

You buy the player now, before he has another half year of building value. But MORE importantly, and by some margin, you avoid a potentially costly bidding war in the summer with clubs who might identify a need then and not now. It's also very possible that the player wants this. He's in a familiar environment and takes strides more or less every week, he might be inclined to continue there for the season. This solution has also been brought up by a couple journos that have some credibility.

IF the club is ok with this, it's solely to secure a potentially gamechanging player to sign now and not risk losing him to a better offer in the summer. That is the reason why such deals are made.

As for the first bolded:

We HAVE done that. We even TRIED to buy one in the summer window. We made a bid for Sean Longstaff, and we made an approach for Christian Eriksen, and we made an approach for Jadon Sancho. That's three players.

How many do you want us to identify? 5? 10? The club has set eyes on Jadon Sancho and will be pursuing him again in January (Note: There's a TON of noise around this particular player, Sancho is disgruntled with Dortmund, it's the perfect window to target him in) Christian Eriksen MIGHT be a target again, but nothing reputable on that front yet.

But then again, the club may very well have midfielders that they are looking at. Fact remains that the January transfer window is a VERY hard window to do business in. We can think the staff is inept for not signing the need WE so very very evidently see but not they for some magical reason, but fact remains that business in January is hard, the club may very well already be working on offers for a CM, and that's pretty much that.

It's also easy to say that we should have had MORE CM's with both Pogba and McTominay out, leaving us with Fred, Garner, Matic and Pereira in the midfield. Normally those should be enough, but Matic has lost a step hasn't he. Easy to complain about that after the season starts.

To quote someone wiser than me: "If only they'd built it with 6,001 hulls!"

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Mourinho’s work in the transfer market was (and still remains) atrocious. He replaced the entire first team and complained that he wasn’t able to do it again (by buying players that were older than those he was trying to dismiss).

Ole has (so far) done a great job of sorting out the recruitment failings.
Pretty much. Ole's signings have

a) All played very well up to half way through the season.
b) All should be able to play at this level for the forseeable future.
c) Gone some way to justifying their fees.

Ole's sold players

a) Had underperformed at the club and were costing a lot of money to keep
OR
b) Were asking for too much money for their squad position.

His squad management has been great.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
New fans will only be around Manchester. I dont think any little kid without a family member supporting utd will support utd. To a 10 year old or less all they will be aware of is city liverpool chelsea and liecester winning the league if you take 5 as a year a kid is aware of football. I live on the outskirts of Wolverhampton. We have kids in our street and I havent seen a utd shirt for ages. 10 20 years ago you would have seen quite a few.
I grew up in London during 1980s when United were rubbish and all the London glory hunting kids supported Liverpool who were boss.

That’s when I started supporting Manchester United as I became intrigued by the history of the busby babes. I hunted out books in the library on the subject and couldn’t get enough of it.

There will be plenty of kids who will be equally enthralled by the lore of Ferguson, especially in this digital age.

Last edited:

Handré1990

Not going to comment on the other nonsense, but why does anyone care about if we could get rid of Rojo or Jones? No, Manchester United should not care if a player still has resale value or not and neither should the club care if a worse player sits on the bench or in the reserves. Smalling wasn't loaned because nobody wanted Rojo, he was loaned because Ole thinks the latter is better. Yes, he actually is that dumb.
Hah, the irony! You probably won’t last long though, so it’s OK.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The rebuild was fecked up by Jose.

He had almost half a billion to spend and wasted it.

Bailly/Mikhi/Sanchez/Fred (good for the last two games), Matic and Dalot.

If you add up the money spent on them, it's roughly three times as much as we paid for Rojo and Shaw.

End of the day, Mourinho signed horrific players at a time where players were more expensive. He massively increased the wage bill, failed to develop our youth and didn't make one successful signing when you consider where they were when he left the club.
And yet that squad of players came 2nd with a points score good enough to win the league on many occasions in past years.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
And yet that squad of players came 2nd with a points score good enough to win the league on many occasions in past years.
Yes they did. In a year where we played below par, other rivals didn’t concentrate on the league and de Gea bailed us out.

That league performance wasn’t the average. We were very lucky in the league, embarrassed in the Champions league and lost in the FA Cup final easily.

DoomSlayer

Yes they did. In a year where we played below par, other rivals didn’t concentrate on the league and de Gea bailed us out.

That league performance wasn’t the average. We were very lucky in the league, embarrassed in the Champions league and lost in the FA Cup final easily.
We were also in a steady and obvious decline after the "4-0 FC" period. Like you said, De Gea was in god mode and our rivals were in transition or development stage.

Eriku

Boy, you are reaching.

90 + 5min

Why don't people see longer than one arms lenght? Why is it always black or white?

Ole is still getting my support on evidence of where we have been, where we are and where we are going. FootballManager-generation with 0 patience must learn that real life and football is not as simple as press "new game" button. When Ole came we hade enormous problems. 3 managers (+ Giggs) in 5 years time with different aproach damaged us as a team and club. We lost our compass. We still have problems but my opinion is that we are slowly getting back to better times. I accept that getting back takes time. It will be like a rollocoster but we will be back soon. Will Ole guide us to title? I don't know. What I see is that he making us a team again and not just a squad and for me that is important when you are buildning a winning team.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The midfield has been a problem area for what feels like an eternity now.

Matic, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Schneidelien, Pogba, Miki, and Fred cost the club approx £300 million combined and not a single one of them could you call an unquestionable success. Criminal.

Ole must make addressing that area has utmost priority either in the upcoming winter window or next summer latest. No excuses.
It's crazy that when you think of the past twenty years, we've only made one good, undisputed successful central midfield signing in Carrick. Our other good CMs from that period were either already here (Keane) or came from the academy (Scholes, Fletcher, Butt).

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What exactly did they go on to achieve?Like stop embarrassing yourself your out of your depth with football knowledge.
  • Welbeck - not a great deal, we did well to get good money for him, although didn’t he knock us out the FA cup?
  • Zaha - doing really well at palace, several clubs wanted him last season and made big bids for him.
  • Kagawa - honestly no idea, think he might be in Spain now?
  • Nani - went on to win the euros, and a taca de Portugal, whatever that is.
  • Rafael - not sure honestly
  • Evans - currently starts every week for a really good, solid Leicester team.
  • Hernandez - did really well in Germany, not much other than that.
Based on this list you could argue it was a mistake to get rid of Evans, Hernandez, Zaha and maybe Nani, especially given the players that replaced them.
It certainly isn’t embarrassing to suggest that getting rid of Evans and bringing in the likes of Rojo might not have been a good idea in hindsight. Van Gaal brought some decent players to the club like Martial, Herrera, Shaw. But he also let go of players that he perhaps shouldn’t have, and brought in a lot of rubbish.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
The press conferences are literally the least important part of football management.
Is English not your strong point or did you intentionally misinterpret my post? But here is what I wrote. Followed by a summary just for you.
I always think pressers and post matches tell a lot about a manager ..there’s something different between the presses/post match of great managers and the the rest. ( exception made for language barrier )

Ole‘s pressers are dull, lack engagement, show someone who has difficulty expressing himself
..yet this is someone who we expect to excel in the most fundamental part of “football MANAGEMENT” the management and coaching of different players and personalities.
Pretty clear that I said that the most important part of football management is the management and coaching of different players and personalities. As fans the closest we get to seeing how managers communicate is through press conferences and in post matches interviews.

Now I know that you disagree and since Ole took over think that football management is simply about signing players. But that’s your delusion and if it was true, Mark Hughes would still be manager of Man City

Judas

Open to offers
I will never forget that Hernandez penalty miss and the way LVG and Giggs looked at each other on the bench. It was without a doubt the right time for him to move on.

El Zoido

It’s really depressing to see how many of our fans are clearly desperate for Ole to fail.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Boy, you are reaching.
So you think football management is not about leading and communication with different personality types ? And you think those skills, or lack of, do not come out in press conferences?

TrustInOle

Can't wait for some people to be proven wrong, the progress is there under Ole but nobody these days has patience, which is key. The way he has the team moving forward, in all directions, is exactly what I hoped for when he came here. Yes some results may not sit well, but the players we have missed cannot be unlooked, Pogba, Martial, Shaw and now Scott, all First team players. He is bringing standards back to the club and the players, I mean, when was the last leak from the club about anything? Give the man his time, and he will do good whilst improving himself here also.

Off topic, (no access to general forums yet, 1 more like Haha) but very similar to Anthony Joshua, in that, I love seeing a fighter/ manager/ player, prove everyone wrong when written off. Come end of December I hope everyone will be looking at Ole and AJ in a better light, one they will deserve. Sorry if against rules.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Is English not your strong point or did you intentionally misinterpret my post? But here is what I wrote. Followed by a summary just for you.

Pretty clear that I said that the most important part of football management is the management and coaching of different players and personalities. As fans the closest we get to seeing how managers communicate is through press conferences and in post matches interviews.

Now I know that you disagree and since Ole took over think that football management is simply about signing players. But that’s your delusion and if it was true, Mark Hughes would still be manager of Man City
It’s just absolutely mental to base his man management ability on press conferences. Just a massive massive reach.

Marcelinho87

:houllier:

Smalling was loaned out because out of all the CBs we have he is the only one with suitors, the rest are not good enough to go anywhere else and if they are they can not be trusted to stay fit.

Eriku

So you think football management is not about leading and communication with different personality types ? And you think those skills, or lack of, do not come out in press conferences?
I do not think press conferences give any good indication on whether a manager is good at communicating with his players. I assume some of the same principles apply to interviews for managers as for players, and players are routinely coached at giving boring non-answers.

You are definitely reaching.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
It’s just absolutely mental to base his man management ability on press conferences. Just a massive massive reach.
I think it’s mental to think that football management is only about signings and that leadership and communication skills count for nothing.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I do not think press conferences give any good indication on whether a manager is good at communicating with his players. I assume some of the same principles apply to interviews for managers as for players, and players are routinely coached at giving boring non-answers.

You are definitely reaching.
Gives and indication of communication style. Press are quite relaxed with Ole and not put him on the spot. When he explains things it’s not very inspiring... but also we have the “just fecking shoot it video” which looks like he’s coaching people to be headless chickens

Eriku

I think it’s mental to think that football management is only about signings and that leadership and communication skills count for nothing.
You questioned Wumminator's grasp of English, he could very well do the same to you now. Where on earth did he say he didn't care about communication and leadership? What he said was that press conferences don't really give much of an indication when it comes to managers' skills in those areas.

Gives and indication of communication style. Press are quite relaxed with Ole and not put him on the spot. When he explains things it’s not very inspiring... but also we have the “just fecking shoot it video” which looks like he’s coaching people to be headless chickens
MAYBE it does... Most likely not. The press need to be kept at bay, and so you communicate with them in a completely different way than you would with a squad. Fergie's often said stuff that's complete nonsense. Would you infer from that senility, stupidity, or worse? No. It's just him playing the press conference game. I have no doubt both he, Ole, and virtually any other manager, approaches the dressing room talks in quite a different way.

Incidentally, as far as inspiration goes, most of our fanbase were inspired as feck by Ole's first few months of pressers. We were loving it. But I guess he's changed in the past year, huh?

If you really think you have a strong point here, then I don't know what to tell you.

RedPnutz

It’s absolutely mental to think that the way Ole speaks at press conferences is the exact same way he communicates with the players and coaching stuff.

Mainoldo

Isn't the second bolded obvious? Liverpool did the same with Keita.

You buy the player now, before he has another half year of building value. But MORE importantly, and by some margin, you avoid a potentially costly bidding war in the summer with clubs who might identify a need then and not now. It's also very possible that the player wants this. He's in a familiar environment and takes strides more or less every week, he might be inclined to continue there for the season. This solution has also been brought up by a couple journos that have some credibility.

IF the club is ok with this, it's solely to secure a potentially gamechanging player to sign now and not risk losing him to a better offer in the summer. That is the reason why such deals are made.

As for the first bolded:

We HAVE done that. We even TRIED to buy one in the summer window. We made a bid for Sean Longstaff, and we made an approach for Christian Eriksen, and we made an approach for Jadon Sancho. That's three players.

How many do you want us to identify? 5? 10? The club has set eyes on Jadon Sancho and will be pursuing him again in January (Note: There's a TON of noise around this particular player, Sancho is disgruntled with Dortmund, it's the perfect window to target him in) Christian Eriksen MIGHT be a target again, but nothing reputable on that front yet.

But then again, the club may very well have midfielders that they are looking at. Fact remains that the January transfer window is a VERY hard window to do business in. We can think the staff is inept for not signing the need WE so very very evidently see but not they for some magical reason, but fact remains that business in January is hard, the club may very well already be working on offers for a CM, and that's pretty much that.

It's also easy to say that we should have had MORE CM's with both Pogba and McTominay out, leaving us with Fred, Garner, Matic and Pereira in the midfield. Normally those should be enough, but Matic has lost a step hasn't he. Easy to complain about that after the season starts.

To quote someone wiser than me: "If only they'd built it with 6,001 hulls!"
Jadon Sancho is not leaving Dortmund to play for Ole. If he does I’m sure it will be done to stupid wages and a stupid fee. As for Haland pretty similar.. they are talking about a stupid fee for an individual no-one actually knows much about. If rumours are try Ole has sent scouts out to check he’s actually justifying the fee and he’s coached him already. Make of that what you will. We lost Fellaini in January and Herrera around March. How much time do they need to identify and get a midfielder. Maybe they should have got Longstaff first if he was the main target. Instead of paying £50m for a RB and raising Newcastle’s valuation.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
It’s absolutely mental to think that the way Ole speaks at press conferences is the exact same way he communicates with the players and coaching stuff.
Did I say the exact same way? Or did I use the example of proven managers to say that the personality and the communication and leadership soft skills show up in the pressers and post matches of great managers like SAF, Klopp, Pep, etc

hobbers

This is a far more pivotal game than the Liverpool one for me.

Win and we're up level with Wolves, and Ole will probably be allowed to struggle on at least until the end of the season.

Lose and we're 10 points off the top four, sitting in 10th. With no valid excuses for how badly the first third of the season has gone. And Poch now waiting in the wings.

Halftrack

Questioning him based on results isn't enough for you? You're now actively looking for shit to criticise him for, to the point where you're looking at how he answers questions at a press conference and drawing conclusions about how he talks to his players based on that?

I didn't think you lot could stoop any lower, but boy was I wrong. Fecking pathetic.

Keefy18

Why is it impressive. This is not our first rebuild since Fergie. We gave the rebuild job to LVG and he got us top 4, managed to clear out a tone of players whilst getting a CB, CMx2, CF, LB and Di Maria. Whilst overhauling the coaching staff and scouting.

Liverpool and City are not the two best run clubs, they are just the most successful. Norwich and Brighton are very well run clubs, Newcastle aren't. It has nothing to do with their positions in the league. It's a flawed argument that always gets blown up when you are successful, it's the same reason why we believe David Gill is better than Woodward.

Peak Barca 2009, now you are just throwing everything out their and seeing what sticks. :lol:. That's actually when I did play Fifa, maybe that's my problem, i need to play the new Fifa and i might be up with the times.

Peak Fergie would have us above Leicester City because he is a better manager than Rodger and has better players than him. He was top with Anderson and Cleverly in midfield. Battered Spurs 4-0.
And who says Ole won't get us top 4? But our spoiled rotten to the core, toxic supporters won't even allow Ole 10 games into a full season and throwing him under the bus.

The whole bit in bold is genuinely the stupidest crap I've seen posted on any forum anywhere on any football site. They are clearly the best ran because they are currently the countries 2 most successful sides. Norwich & Brighton well ran?

You mean Gill who was utterly useless and simply used Fergie's genius and football ability to make a name for himself? The same David Gill who tucked his tail and ran the minute SAF called it quits. The same cowardly scumbag Gill who rakes it in with a salary from the club but offers little to nothing by way of relevant input on how the club is ran going forward? The same Gill who dropped Woodward in the shits with an ageing, falling apart squad that needed an absolute overhaul and offered no support to Gill in the transition and handover of duties... Oh yes, he's vastly superior as CEO of the club alright.

If you want to talk about better ran clubs at least use Leicester the club you then mention who are ahead of us ffs. They've won a league more recently than us, they've sold all bar 2 players pretty much from that title winning side and now rebuilt a better team again sooner than us.

You mean Fergie who took 4 years to win a trophy and 6 for a league?

You did give me a bloody good laugh mate, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.