Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betson

It is clear now that Ole is there until the summer at least and if we get top 4(or win Europa Cup) I think he will here next season as well.

It is vital we get back in the Champions league , not because we have a chance of winning it , we don't. But like it or not it certainly helps when we are going after some of the more elite or sought after players in the transfer market.

Nickelodeon

I have learnt to live with the regular incompetence on the pitch. But the piece by piece dismantling of the squad, refusal to push for signings and propaganda-like statements are really pushing me to the edge. Ole seems like the puppet Woodward and Glazers would’ve wanted.

Zen86

I’m a supporter of Ole and what he’s trying to do at the club, but I think this injury crisis might well spell the end. It’s going to be a rough few weeks, that’s for sure. I don’t believe a new manager coming in will make things any better either, will just be the same old problems again.

The squad needs big investment, and I really can’t see it happening unfortunately.

Gator Nate

I like this paragraph in particular

Solskjaer is trying to change the culture at the club by bringing in young, energetic players determined to reach a higher level as opposed to hired mercenaries, and re-establish a playing style that has been mangled by various managers and romanticised by impatient supporters. Without players capable of performing in this way, the team can only ever function below 100 per cent, which is why United are trapped in their upper mid-table purgatory. With time, focused recruitment and coaching this can be addressed.

And the bolded part especially is what a lot of people don't seem to take into account. Without a more creative streak in the side there is a limit to what we can do both performance wise and also tactically.
Heh, yeah, I almost quoted that one myself. He's very specific in his wording, though, "upper mid-table purgatory." Rather implies, rightly I believe, that Ole is capable of staying in the 5th-8th spot with inferior players.

Foxbatt

I like this paragraph in particular

Solskjaer is trying to change the culture at the club by bringing in young, energetic players determined to reach a higher level as opposed to hired mercenaries, and re-establish a playing style that has been mangled by various managers and romanticised by impatient supporters. Without players capable of performing in this way, the team can only ever function below 100 per cent, which is why United are trapped in their upper mid-table purgatory. With time, focused recruitment and coaching this can be addressed.

And the bolded part especially is what a lot of people don't seem to take into account. Without a more creative streak in the side there is a limit to what we can do both performance wise and also tactically.
Sorry to say what a load of tosh. Bringing in young energetic players is not going to take us forward. It is the " mercenaries" that won us the first league under SAF. What we need are technically competent players to compete and then one or two outstanding players who can tilt a game on their own along with a world class manager who also has the knowledge and experience to react to what is happening on the pitch and bring about changes to win a game.
Nothing so far has shown me that Ole has any clue how to do it.
Yes I agree that his heart is in the right place and everyone here at CAF also wants to win but the competency is what is missing in him to do such a huge job. A job that is made a lot worse by Woodward.

redshaw

I remember Ole saying we just have to make it to January in the first quarter of the season. implying the feck up of the summer ins and outs would be helped. The injuries are worse and no sign of anything.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You are looking at results and league position and judging everything on that. This season is about more than that. The squad was a mess, and there was clearly a problem behind the scenes with mentality, culture, cohesion amongst the players, and a hundred other things we don't know about.

We were always looking at 2-3 seasons to clear up the mess made in the previous 5 years. The wage bill, players that needed to go, lack of leaders in the squad, lack of balance in the squad. Unless we had £400-500m sitting around last summer (SPOILER: we didn't) then it was a step by step process. Looking at what we had before versus what we have this morning I would say we are ahead of schedule. Lots of squad fat trimmed, wage bill in better shape, the group themselves seem much happier and appear to have the right mentality now. We just need to add quality & leadership.

Does that mean we increased our risk of having a difficult season? Absolutely. Get on board with that notion and suddenly everything is easier to digest, that much I promise you.
I do find this "there was a bad a culture and mentality" stuff quite funny. I dont think a single person thought that when we beat PSG. Hell, it looked like that exact opposite - the likes of Lukaku and Fred playing out of their skins and winning against all odds. We won 12 out 15(?) - was the culture negative then too?

Also, who were the players behind this? During Mourinhos reign, he was the cause of toxicity and rightly so. Once he left, he looked for sure that the toxicity had diminished. And thats what almost everyone was saying. So I'm wondering how it returned?

How can you tell its improved? Results and performances are worst in years. Surely that'd point to the opposite of what you're saying?

peridigm

I’m a supporter of Ole and what he’s trying to do at the club, but I think this injury crisis might well spell the end. It’s going to be a rough few weeks, that’s for sure. I don’t believe a new manager coming in will make things any better either, will just be the same old problems again.

The squad needs big investment, and I really can’t see it happening unfortunately.
I'm supporting Ole as well but I don't agree that it will spell the end, unless he starts calling out the lack of transfer activity. As other's have stated, he's the YES man and loves United to the core so I can't see him saying anything overly negative about our lack of deals. I only see him being sacked if we plummet down the table over the next month or two.

Our injuries keep piling up and losing Rashford is a huge loss of goals. I don't think signing an injury prone Cavani is the answer either. We need creativity in MF and on the flanks to give Martial and Greenwood chances. We don't have the players to consistently offer that. No idea whether Bruno is that player but we need someone in that area as well as a winger. Without Rashford, we're now going to see more of Chong I'd imagine plus James on the left and Mata on the right. Maybe Dalot as a winger as well. William's as a winger does not impress me. He should be playing LB over Shaw.

I don't know what to think anymore. This season just needs to end already.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I'd really like to know from the stauncher Ole In posters, at what point does Ole become accountable for something in this mess?

He's publicly told us all that the funds are there and he's happy with the way the board have/are backing him. So you can't lump the blame on the board regarding a lack of signings and/or poor usage of funds in the summer.

The injury crisis we're currently in, he is not entirely blameless in this either, is he? Pogba, McTominay, Rashford - three crucial first teamers who he has worsened by playing them when they were not fully fit.

What exactly does this bloke need to do, before some of you will say "right okay, enough is enough, Ole has made a proper balls up here."
Well i am not a staunch Ole in, more of a "i dont really care, hes not the best manager around, but not the biggest problem at the club right now". Anyways
  • Lack of available funds cant be blamed on him. Considering we sold Lukaku our net spend the past two years have been nothing reminiscent of a club trying to do a "rebuild". The past two summers we have spent less than 150 million net, which is less than both Jose and LvG were given in each of their first two seasons
  • The state of the squad when he arrived cant be blamed on him either. Some deadwood are gone, but there is still plenty left and there was no way he could realistically get rid of all of them in one window unless he would have us play with U16 players
  • Our ridiculous wage bill cant be blamed on him either. The board are the ones who negotiates contracts and wages, and we have overpaid for dross for years now
  • If we dont make any signings this window he should be unhappy and voice his concern and if he does not that is something he should be lambasted for. Not necessarily go full Jose and breathe fire in the media, but he cant go on pretending everything is fine, because it is clearly not
  • Hes partly responsible for injuries, but not as much as some people would have it. The biggest culprit is simply the lack of squad options, secondly the medical/fitness team are culpable since we having injury trouble is nothing new and they should have done much better with preventative care and identifying players who were at risk of injury. Of course in hindsight it was stupid throwing Rashford on vs Wolves, but if it went to extra time that would have been pretty bad as well.

It’s open to you pal @Rhyme Animal saw what I saw ;)
I would, and rather large too, even with the fixtures.

But then I'd be split between desperately wanting United to catch Chelsea and take 4th, and money. So no, I don't ever bet against United.

I just can't see us putting any run together under Ole, we haven't in almost a year now. I hope we do, I hope we absolutely twat it until the end of the season and take 4th, but I've a feeling it'll be like last year, Chelsea will stumble, we'll get giddy, stumble ourselves... rinse and repeat until we're at best 5th again.
Wouldn't at all be surprised if we end the season in 7th and you lot still want to give him another year.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
You've looked at the fixtures haven't you, you cheeky scamp...

Chelsea play -

Arse
Foxes
Utd
Spuds

Utd play -

Burnley
Wolves
Chelsea
Watford

Fair play to you - though I still wouldn't be too confident of it.
In March/April they also have: City(H), WHU(A), Palace(A), Sheffield(A) + Liverpool(A) in May. Not that i am confident as i sure we will do out best to make things difficult for ourselves, but they have pretty tricky run in of the season. London derbies are always open and Sheffield are really hard to beat at their own ground

Zen86

I'm supporting Ole as well but I don't agree that it will spell the end, unless he starts calling out the lack of transfer activity. As other's have stated, he's the YES man and loves United to the core so I can't see him saying anything overly negative about our lack of deals. I only see him being sacked if we plummet down the table over the next month or two.

Our injuries keep piling up and losing Rashford is a huge loss of goals. I don't think signing an injury prone Cavani is the answer either. We need creativity in MF and on the flanks to give Martial and Greenwood chances. We don't have the players to consistently offer that. No idea whether Bruno is that player but we need someone in that area as well as a winger. Without Rashford, we're now going to see more of Chong I'd imagine plus James on the left and Mata on the right. Maybe Dalot as a winger as well. William's as a winger does not impress me. He should be playing LB over Shaw.

I don't know what to think anymore. This season just needs to end already.
It could happen. There’s an air of negativity forming again off the back of these injuries, and our inability to make signings. We’re going to be relying on kids who probably aren’t ready to make the step up yet, or Lingard.

I'd really like to know from the stauncher Ole In posters, at what point does Ole become accountable for something in this mess?
It's rather obvious now that the answer to that for most is: May 2021.

If he's not accountable for anything now in their eyes, how can he then be accountable until the end of next season? Although I'd imagine even then, they'd proportion most of the blame at Woodward and the owners.
By May 2021 he'll have gone directly from the Molde dugout to 30 months :eek: as manager of one the 3 biggest clubs in the World. That idea just blows my mind, I can't blind myself to the sheer incompetence of how it sounds when said out loud.

Fair play to these lot, they are a patient bunch and can't see any long term damage being done by then. It's annoying for me, I'd have been right behind a Poch rebuild, or even a Nagelsman or Laurent Blanc rebuild, just anyone with the CV.

Foxbatt

It could happen. There’s an air of negativity forming again off the back of these injuries, and our inability to make signings. We’re going to be relying on kids who probably aren’t ready to make the step up yet, or Lingard.
These are decision made by the manager for short term self interests. It is not only Rashford. It was the same with Pogba. The same with Scott. He played Maguire with a hip injury too. Now Rashford. He culled the squad. I am extremely sure that if Ole had wanted to get a player for not a ridiculous amoun the club would be happy to pay.
The Ole in squad are saying that we probably the worst midfield. ( I do not agree at all) But if that is the case, whey doesn't he buy one from anywhere else instead of tilting after windmills?
By the way when we have a decent game, it is the Manager who gets the credit. When we have a bad game, it is not the manager's fault but the players.

dove

Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea are in the same boat, can’t think what the similarities are between us all.
I don't give a shite about Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. The only way we are still in 5th place is because these 3 are similarly shite like us but it doesn't change the fact that we are on track of lowest points in PL era.

fergiesarmy1

These are decision made by the manager for short term self interests. It is not only Rashford. It was the same with Pogba. The same with Scott. He played Maguire with a hip injury too. Now Rashford. He culled the squad. I am extremely sure that if Ole had wanted to get a player for not a ridiculous amoun the club would be happy to pay.
The Ole in squad are saying that we probably the worst midfield. ( I do not agree at all) But if that is the case, whey doesn't he buy one from anywhere else instead of tilting after windmills?
By the way when we have a decent game, it is the Manager who gets the credit. When we have a bad game, it is not the manager's fault but the players.
Ole’s short term interests? He is the only manager that cares about where this club is going since Fergie. If Jose was here in this situation you can bet the bank we would be bringing in over the hill players with no thought to the following season.

Ole’s short term interests? He is the only manager that cares about where this club is going since Fergie.
Well that aint true, where have you gotten that idea from @fergiesarmy1 ?

LvG built for the future, no question about that at all. Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Martial, Morgan, brought through Rashford, played tonnes more youth,

Moyes wouldn't even buy anyone he wanted to be so sure about them being right for the team.

fergiesarmy1

Well that aint true, where have you gotten that idea from @fergiesarmy1 ?

LvG built for the future, no question about that at all. Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Martial, Morgan, brought through Rashford, played tonnes more youth,

Moyes wouldn't even buy anyone he wanted to be so sure about them being right for the team.
LVG stumbled upon Rashford due to another injury crisis.

Falcoa, Schweinstiger and Di Maria who didn’t actually want to come? Not to forget his my captain shall always play when he was clearly done.

Moyes nickname from back when is dithering Dave and if fellaini was his plan for the future he can keep it.

Can see you haven’t even bothered with 3 season max Jose, might be 2 season Jose soon now everyone can see he’s been left behind in this game.

LVG stumbled upon Rashford due to another injury crisis.

Falcoa, Schweinstiger and Di Maria who didn’t actually want to come? Not to forget his my captain shall always play when he was clearly done.

Moyes nickname from back when is dithering Dave and if fellaini was his plan for the future he can keep it.

Can see you haven’t even bothered with 3 season max Jose, might be 2 season Jose soon now everyone can see he’s been left behind in this game.
Ole stumbled on Williams, agreed to renew Jones, kept Pogba against his will. Plays Andreas or Lingard most weeks when both have clearly never been done.
Falcao was loan signing that didn’t work out, worth a chance. Similar to what Ole tried with Mandzukic last summer.

You sound like a Ole fanatic/disciple when you say such things, of course LVG was looking to the future. He had a small squad as well so that in his own words he’d be forced to use the academy, much like Ole now.

fergiesarmy1

Ole stumbled on Williams, agreed to renew Jones, kept Pogba against his will. Plays Andreas or Lingard most weeks when both have clearly never been done.
Falcao was loan signing that didn’t work out, worth a chance. Similar to what Ole tried with Mandzukic last summer.

You sound like a Ole fanatic/disciple when you say such things, of course LVG was looking to the future. He had a small squad as well so that in his own words he’d be forced to use the academy, much like Ole now.
You sound like your willing to blame Ole for everything, kept Pogba against his will? For us to let him go we need someone to actually stump up the money that doesn’t seem that forthcoming. Didn’t you also say Ole was happy with his squad but yet your bringing up a signing he might have wanted in the summer?

You sound like your willing to blame Ole for everything
No, I agree that Ole is looking to what is best for the future, in his eyes.

But to say only he has cared about the future since SAF makes you sound like a lunatic.

The Pogba comment was an example of how anything can be twisted, like trying to make out that LVG didn’t care about the future and using silly examples to twist them to your logic.

LVG cared, Ole cared. I’d argue Moyes cared too hence why he dithered so much.

fergiesarmy1

No, I agree that Ole is looking to what is best for the future, in his eyes.

But to say only he has cared about the future since SAF makes you sound like a lunatic.

The Pogba comment was an example of how anything can be twisted, like trying to make out that LVG didn’t care about the future and using silly examples to twist them to your logic.

LVG cared, Ole cared. I’d argue Moyes cared too hence why he dithered so much.
I saw no passion from LVG as manager of united, he looked as bored as most of us watching it. You clearly agree Jose is a narcissist only interested in himself, that rant after we got beat by Sevilla should have seen him sacked there and then if we had competent owners and CEO. Moyes was a clown who surrounded himself with people not up to the job and never looked comfortable getting through season one which is of course how it turned out.

peridigm

I'm sure Ole wants players that want to play for United and not just collecting a fat check. We don't know whether he wanted to keep Pogba or not. It could have been the board's decision to keep him to protect the investment. Perhaps Ole was okay with letting him go if he was going to be replaced and those targets were not obtainable. Lukaku didn't want to be here. He either didn't have Smalling in his plans or Smalling wanted out. Sanchez requires no words.

There has been no reports Ole is only after high priced, high profile players. In fact, his transfer strategy is reported to be one that brings in youth and players that want to play for Manchester United, not just the latest world beater. It's not Ole's fault United paid what they did for Maguire. James was cheap and came from a lower league. I think AWB's valuation was close but again, it's not Ole's fault United may have paid more than another club. Ole provides a list of players he wants. Ed and his sidekicks negotiate the fees. I'd venture to say that if Ed came back to Ole and said this player you want is just too expensive for us, or he will only come if we pay massive wages, Ole would be okay with not signing him. When we're linked with Bruno for 65m and it hasn't happened yet, there are only 2 possible answers as to why. Either we're not interested and it's made up bullshit or we are interested and Ed thinks the fee is too high. Bruno would plug a hole we need to fill.

By the way, when we have a decent game, the opposite is also true in regards to claiming responsibility.

KekiZeki

That's my entire point Keki, Lıverpool have been able to sell the Klopp factor. Klopp improves pretty much every player he coaches, was the same at Dortmund, and his football must be a joy to play for.

What are we selling? How can we convince a top target to join us rather than say Spurs, or Chelsea?

If it's not wages, then what is it? Ole Gunnar? Our brand of football? Our great project that so far yields a win-rate of 39%? From the outside our project looks absolute pants.

So, yeah I agree with you, and that's why I'd replace Ole in the Summer with someone like Poch, UNLESS that win-rates spikes massively in the next 4 months and a feel good feeling is created around the club that could be attractive to our top targets. Poch might not be the best around, but top players will want to play for him for certain because he's got a reputation for improving players, he's plays nice football, his PL win-rate is massive.

You surely are not naive enough to not understand that Poch + United + 250k vs. Lampard + Chelsea + 250k is much more evenly balanced that Ole + United (in this state) + 250k?
Klopp did it by improving players. It's not that he bought them all expensive but he made them better. That is why players want to go there now. Spurs and Chelsea don't offer anything significantly better than we do atm. I think Ole has improved some younger players, even Fred looks decent under him, you gotta give him that.
There won't be any spikes, that's just how it is. We can get Pochetino in, it won't spike at all. It will take time.
If we want to switch managers then we can't expect anyone to be bought this window, wouldn't make sense buying under the manager who is here with his coffers packed.
That said, if we are to change managers why wait at all? It should be done sooner rather than later.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think the season is basically over now given the injuries. We'll do very well to finish top 6 at this point.

It's some very bad luck but mainly the effect of years of bad decisions catching up with us leaving us with a squad not fit for purpose despite having the 2nd highest wage bill in the world.

UDontMessWith24

This match was a couple of missed sitters from complete and utter humiliation in the second half. This was again a result of a team managed by someone who does not have the presence required to consistently motivate and focus his players. Spare me the we put up a fight nonsense.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Can someone tell me what Ole's philosophy is? He says he wants us to attack and play a high line but then goes on and signs Maguire who's too slow to play a highline and AWB a full back that can't attack. Two players whose abilities don't suit the style of play he wants. Why sign players that don't fit your philosophy. I need an explanation

Pearl's a minger

What staggers me is, what the hell has ole done to warrant / be entrusted with this rebuild? His managerial c.v in this country is quite frankly embarrassing. Now I know we've gone down the big name route with limited success post sir alex already. But he's been here 13 months we're something like 10 points worse off than this time last season, no actual style or fluidity in play. He's contributed to decimating the squad be it selling with no replacements or risking players who aren't 100%. And we're supposed to entrust him with a rebuild? The man's a buffoon who won the lottery. As stated a million times already if he wasn't a United legend he wouldn't of even got a look in here.

Russky14

OGS is part of the tax accountants master plan to manage the dwindling budget. Youth boys boy boys. We all love a good leg-end.

Look into my eyes, my eyes not round my eyes. 123 and you (sorry we are all back in the room). This youth carp is all part of the subterfuge by the regime. The bottom line is that we need to cut our cloth accordingly because our cash generative margin is going to drop this next 12 months. As an accountant owd Ed is doing a fine job. However, as a fan and an accountant the ex PWC (an arrogant bunch of tossers - having dealt with some of them) CEO in any normal business would have been ex-communicated. However, the business is owned by the Adams family minus Daddy Adams who was the real wheeler dealer. The siblings well are just a clueless bunch of Hill Billys.

Sorry, OGS is just clueless front man to the underlying financial issues we have. The Fernandes saga is just a joke. we are in this scenario because of either OGS belief we had enough this summer re the squad and/or was it all a ruse. by the Regime.

The fact we have another PR (ex tabloid journo) come on board is just about window dressing for the City and mainly the fans. Action is required.

ENOUGH is ENOUGH

Zen86

The Fernandes saga shows just how inept we are at making signings. This isn’t a new thing (see Herrera), we’ve been terrible at it since Gill left. I know it’s easier for you to scapegoat the manager for everything though, rather than recognise just where we are as a club right now.

That said, if we are to change managers why wait at all? It should be done sooner rather than later.
Why? Because after Ole's gutting of the squad the poor fecker would inherit a lame duck.

I'd much prefer Ole to see through his season and let a potential new manager have a full Summer to beef up the squad and coach them his methods, confidence is important in football and as Mourinho is proving at Spurs, hopping in mid-season is a nightmare, you end up trying to coach on the fly.

Snuffkin

Do they themselves have capabilities to convert a good talent into world class? I highly doubt.
The best education is experience. He plays every game. If he can't capitalise on this experience then it's nobody's fault but his own. Him, awb and Greenwood have got another year before we can judge.

fergiesarmy1

What? LVG was way more passionate than Mr. sit on your arse and chat to Carrick.
Only time LVG left his seat when he embarrassed himself with that fall on the deck against arsenal or whoever it was. Ole spends way more time on the touchline, thought you would see that be a gold season ticket holder who obviously won’t be joining in any Ole songs.

vivaronaldo

what a manager we have in charge , what a culture he is instilling - pogba best performance this year comes on instgaram after an operation , luke shaw allowed to warm up with a hat , lingaard allowed to carry on like a twat , his 2 signings maguire and bissaka going backwards , rashford plays on with a stress fracture ............should i go on , the bloke, the club, the staff have nfi

this is his 3rd window ....hes had 14 months ...can anyone show me where he has shown progression??? can anyone see anything but a yes man glazer puppet ??? i cant .... a bloke who got cardiff relegated , coaching in norway landed the job because he was a past player who loved the club ...unfortunate but that isnt whats required to build the club

leave now , and get someone in with no ties that puts everyone on notice ....the players are running the show because the bloke in charge simply hasnt got it

Only time LVG left his seat when he embarrassed himself with that fall on the deck against arsenal or whoever it was. Ole spends way more time on the touchline, thought you would see that be a gold season ticket holder who obviously won’t be joining in any Ole songs.
Oh look who's acting the fecktard again @fergiesarmy1, I support the manager at the game always, that's what United fans do, we're feckwits like that, cheered Moyes, LVG and Mou to the bitter end.

Wanna go on Wednesday fella to your first game ever? My seats are free again and no fecker wants them because Ole has made us so wank, @SuperiorXI had them last week v. Wolves for a tenner each. Can barely give away tickets right now.
To you, free, just PM me and they are yours
Failing that, if Superior wants them again for 10 quid each, they are his. :)

fergiesarmy1

Oh look who's acting the fecktard again, I support the manager at the game always, that's what United fans do, we're feckwits like that, cheered Moyes, LVG and Mou to the bitter end.

Wanna go on Wednesday fella to your first game ever? My seats are free and no fecker wants them because Ole has made us so wank, @SuperiorXI had them last week v. Wolves for a tenner each. Can barely give away tickets right now.
To you, free, just PM me and they are yours.
Might be my 501st game pal stood and sat in nearly every section of the ground. :lol:. I work 500m from the ground and the company has good tickets so thanks for your offer.

You sound like your right behind Ole and the team though, keep it up!

fergiesarmy1

Sure you do. In Northern Norway I'd guess, tough to take some free tickets from there.
I’ll take a pic with a paper at lunch if you like hostage style :lol:. I’m sure some people remember me as fergiesbarmyarmy on here back in the day and can attest to my locality and match going stories and reports if it helps you sleep at night pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.