Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

He made us worse points wise, by quite a margin too.

Yep. It's amazing that some fans won't accept this fact - he has made us worse than we were under Mourinho. Yes, this is partly because the squad is threadbare and not very good but this was also his bloody doing!!!!!

Pretty sure we were sixth when he took over and still good chance of fourth this season, he’s hardly made us worse in the league.
Hiding behind 5th again? 23 games, 34 points. 39% win-rate.

1 point ahead of Sheffield United.

The squad Ole took over finished 2nd just a few months before he took over + Fred and Dalot. So yeah, we're miles worse.

soapythecat

Just curious, when do Ole supporters think we will have the squad to win the league. How many players do we need and how long should it take us?
Why does it just have to be Ole in supporters that answer this question? Has the Ole out brigade suddenly come to the conclusion that if Poch (or whoever is the current fad manager) comes in they will get free reign in the transfer market and have us competing immediately? They will have just a shit a deal as Ole has - why do folk think this is going to change?
But for clarity - as an Ole in man - given what we've seen from Woodward and Judge recently, I don't expect we will have a squad to challenge for 5 or 6 windows. Broken down: 6 windows is 3 summer windows, where we will do business. 2 top players per summer. 6 top players on top of the squad we currently have, minus Pogba who will be sold I reckon, then we have a title challenging squad (as long as we don't have any cup runs or long term injuries like we are currently having).

fergiesarmy1

Hiding behind 5th again? 23 games, 34 points. 39% win-rate.

1 point ahead of Sheffield United.

The squad Ole took over finished 2nd just a few months before he took over + Fred and Dalot. So yeah, we're miles worse.
Where was it when he took over and where was it the season prior to the 2nd place finish? Maybe the 2nd place was anomaly as Jose suggested it was a miracle apparently? Still waiting for the movie though :lol:

Gator Nate

Pretty decent article, really. Ole was never going to win this and did the best possible with the tools available.

The only saving grace was that Wolves were the only other top-half club besides Pool to win this weekend. Let that sink in for a bit...

fergiesarmy1

The only saving grace was that Wolves were the only other top-half club besides Pool to win this weekend. Let that sink in for a bit...
That’s kind of the point I’m trying to make with our gold season ticket holder, no one seems capable of going on a run at the moment in the premiership apart from Liverpool.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Chelsea have won 4 of their last 11 premier league games, they are finding it hard against every team in this league as arsenal, spurs and united are.
Yeah, but there's context isn't there...

Chelsea lost their best player (by far) in the Summer and didn't make a single signing - Utd gave Ole 130m into the squad

Chelsea have a new manager who took over in August - Ole has been managing this Utd side for over a year

Chelsea are above Utd in the PL by 5 points.

AshRK

The table, win-rate and points total tell us without any doubt that they are finding it plenty less hard than United, Spurs or Arsenal.
Not a Ole supporter but why change the narratives here. We may be crap but so have been Arsenal and Spurs. Not saying they won't finish above us but so far Chelsea are less shit, we are shit and SPurs and Arsenal are no better than us. However, Rashford's injury changes everything.

fergiesarmy1

Chelsea lost their best player (by far) in the Summer and didn't make a single signing - Utd gave Ole 130m into the squad

Chelsea have a new manager who took over in August - Ole has been managing this Utd side for over a year

So we didn’t lose anyone? They keep that form up and even an inconsistent united can close that over the next few months especially if we spend a bit more than our actual net spend which you seem to want to forget to help your argument :rolleyes:

fergiesarmy1

The table, win-rate and points total tell us without any doubt that they are finding it plenty less hard than United, Spurs or Arsenal.
Plenty? I’ll wager a bet we will be above them by the end of February? I’ll even give you even money with a 5 point start and home advantage against us.

Not a Ole supporter but why change the narratives here. We may be crap but so have been Arsenal and Spurs. Not saying they won't finish above us but so far Chelsea are less shit, we are shit and SPurs and Arsenal are no better than us. However, Rashford's injury changes everything.
What? I said Spurs and Arsenal were shit?

Worse than us obviously. I mean, I said they were so shit they fired their managers. Confused here

Lee565

Either ole is either as bad as Moyes at dithering with player recruitment or he has to very soon let it be known that the likes of Woodward and glazers are holding back on player recruitment because the Ole defenders cant keep saying he's keeping it behind closed doors to protect the club as it's getting to a point now where it's doing the club more harm than good with him keeping his mouth shut as we will just keep falling and falling into being nothing but a mid-table team and having to wait as long as liverpool to get top honours again.

Rhyme Animal

Plenty? I’ll wager a bet we will be above them by the end of February? I’ll even give you even money with a 5 point start and home advantage against us.
You've looked at the fixtures haven't you, you cheeky scamp...

Chelsea play -

Arse
Foxes
Utd
Spuds

Utd play -

Burnley
Wolves
Chelsea
Watford

Fair play to you - though I still wouldn't be too confident of it.

romufc

We can all blame Ole, but th

Kovacic deal was done in the summer.
Pulisic came to the club in the summer too.

United have lost players too and have lost their best player (Pogba) to injury for the majority of the season.

fergieisold

Yep. It's amazing that some fans won't accept this fact - he has made us worse than we were under Mourinho. Yes, this is partly because the squad is threadbare and not very good but this was also his bloody doing!!!!!
Results wise yes, football wise no. I quite often went to the game and didn't even watch a load of it, preferring to stay having a beer inside rather than sit in the cold watching the shite served up by Mourinho and van gaal.

fergiesarmy1

Chelsea play -

Arse
Foxes
Utd
Spuds

Utd play -

Burnley
Wolves
Chelsea
Watford

Haha I did indeed, would have been very confident if it wasn’t for Rashford and not closing the Fernandes deal yet if it all.

Alabaster Codify7

Either ole is either as bad as Moyes at dithering with player recruitment or he has to very soon let it be known that the likes of Woodward and glazers are holding back on player recruitment because the Ole defenders cant keep saying he's keeping it behind closed doors to protect the club as it's getting to a point now where it's doing the club more harm than good with him keeping his mouth shut as we will just keep falling and falling into being nothing but a mid-table team and having to wait as long as liverpool to get top honours again.

I'd really like to know from the stauncher Ole In posters, at what point does Ole become accountable for something in this mess?

He's publicly told us all that the funds are there and he's happy with the way the board have/are backing him. So you can't lump the blame on the board regarding a lack of signings and/or poor usage of funds in the summer.

The injury crisis we're currently in, he is not entirely blameless in this either, is he? Pogba, McTominay, Rashford - three crucial first teamers who he has worsened by playing them when they were not fully fit.

What exactly does this bloke need to do, before some of you will say "right okay, enough is enough, Ole has made a proper balls up here."

AshRK

Chelsea play -

Arse
Foxes
Utd
Spuds

Utd play -

Burnley
Wolves
Chelsea
Watford

I would have been more confident had Rashford been available. Rashford's injury changes everything. I fear beating Burnley itself now will become a challenge. Martial has to step up.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Pretty decent article, really. Ole was never going to win this and did the best possible with the tools available.

I like this paragraph in particular

Solskjaer is trying to change the culture at the club by bringing in young, energetic players determined to reach a higher level as opposed to hired mercenaries, and re-establish a playing style that has been mangled by various managers and romanticised by impatient supporters. Without players capable of performing in this way, the team can only ever function below 100 per cent, which is why United are trapped in their upper mid-table purgatory. With time, focused recruitment and coaching this can be addressed.

And the bolded part especially is what a lot of people don't seem to take into account. Without a more creative streak in the side there is a limit to what we can do both performance wise and also tactically.

Rhyme Animal

Haha I did indeed, would have been very confident if it wasn’t for Rashford and not closing the Fernandes deal yet if it all.
Yeah, with Rashford fit it's a different story - but I think Watford, Burnley and Wolves might well take something from Utd.

I would have been more confident had Rashford been available. Rashford's injury changes everything. I fear beating Burnley itself now will become a challenge. Martial has to step up.
Indeed - I've got a funny feeling about this run of fixtures being what ousts Ole actually.

They're not big enough games for him to get a free-pass, but they're all set up to prove tricky for him...

Burnley - beat Foxes at the weekend, might be turning a corner. Game is at OT so impetus at all on Burnley to come out and play, they can sit back and aim balls toward Woods / Barnes.

Wolves - better manager imo, will want revenge after the FA Cup. Fighting with Utd for league place.

Chelsea (A) - bad record at the Bridge, Chelsea will have just played Arse and Foxes - there's a very good chance they will be looking for a reactive win.

Watford - different team under Pearson, love playing the bigger clubs.

Bizarrely, I actually wouldn't be that surprised if Utd beat Chelsea but only managed to draw / lose to the others!

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah, with Rashford fit it's a different story - but I think Watford, Burnley and Wolves might well take something from Utd.

I expect us to drop points in both league games. The Cup game is a bit of a lottery for me, unsure what to make of it. Pearson had Ole all ends up last time around though, so it might be another bad night at the office.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Come on now - its important to keep balanced in your opinion. Chelsea lost Hazard but we haven't had Pogba. Lampard was hampered by the transfer window - yes of course - but he benefitted from having a LOT of talented players out on loan that he could call on (some of whom have been amongst their better players this season) and also Pulisic.

Its drastically unfair to say that one manager should be sacked immediately and the other is safe because of 5 league points halfway through a season, and actually we should be a little embarrassed that so few fans of manager conveyor belt Chelsea are questioning Lampard whereas there is this much speculation amongst our fans about our own boss.

Rafaeldagold

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I post about Ole in his threads. It's not my problem really that there multiple threads about him in the forum which are all similar. For example what's the about of the voting thread about him being sacked or not when the vote can be done in this thread we are posting in instead of a completely separate one? Combine all the talk about him here and I won't spread negativity in multiple threads.

It's really bizarre that we have 2 previous managers who were slaughtered left, right and center here and apparently the moaning wasn't a problem back then.
Ole will take us to relegation & we still won’t be allowed to criticise.

There’s no point now trying to be logical about it. The Ole in lot are too far gone. As is our club.

I mean seriously what club would stick with such a sub standard manager? He’s fcking terrible but their minds won’t be changed

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd really like to know from the stauncher Ole In posters, at what point does Ole become accountable for something in this mess?

He's publicly told us all that the funds are there and he's happy with the way the board have/are backing him. So you can't lump the blame on the board regarding a lack of signings and/or poor usage of funds in the summer.

The injury crisis we're currently in, he is not entirely blameless in this either, is he? Pogba, McTominay, Rashford - three crucial first teamers who he has worsened by playing them when they were not fully fit.

What exactly does this bloke need to do, before some of you will say "right okay, enough is enough, Ole has made a proper balls up here."
You're missing the whole point of why he is supported. Ole is accountable for everything - that's the job. Most people who are behind Ole are behind him because we believe in the project, and also because we feel that he is the right man to deliver this stage of the project. The whole point of a long term idea is that its long term, so unless there is unavoidable evidence that the project is flawed or the guy behind it is screwing it up, all it takes is balls and patience and to wait for it to unfold. Rather than seeing evidence that it is failing I actually see mostly reasons to be confident about it. My biggest fear is the club being unable to deliver the players we need, and that's not on him at all really.

I find it 50% frustrating but also 50% hilarious (depending on my mood) watching you guys throw tantrums after every performance, analyse everything he says, question every decision, every injury, every transfer.....literally pick everything apart....because its all so unnecessary. The only way you are going to get what you want is if we fail horribly. Why not just get behind the guy and this very likeable squad of players instead of spending all day furious and trying to win an unwinnable argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.