Ole Gunnar Solskjaer criticises some players from time in charge at Old Trafford

Kostov

I would like Mitten to show some balls and next time ask him if "being a nice guy" warrant paying 80m for Harry Maguire, since he obviously was part of that transfer. Everything else we already know one way or the other.

Tarrou

You're talking to Mainoldo who hated Ole the moment he stepped through the door and would post negative shit daily throughout his time at United. I also vaguely remember that he's a Jose fan boy.
yeah I remember it all, just needed to say it once again!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Weird to think it was only Ole that talked to Sancho for 2 years.
Oh I am not blaming just him mate but the entire football structure behind him. If you follow my posts you'll know I am not a big fan of Murtough as well. However don't you find it weird that we chased a player for 2 years and we spent 70m on him only for the manager not to be arsed to ask him if he's happy to play as RW? I mean we're not talking about an injury he had at 7 which might come back to haunt him when he's at his 30s. This is a big thing.

luke511

We discussed Moises Caicedo, but we felt we needed players ready for there and then.
In other words, the scouts pushed forward the recommendation but Solskjaer wanted a more experienced player, so there wasn’t as much motivation for the club to put in the groundwork. Sounds about right.

RedDevil@84

Oh I am not blaming just him mate but the entire football structure behind him. If you follow my posts you'll know I am not a big fan of Murtough as well. However don't you find it weird that we chased a player for 2 years and we spent 70m on him only for the manager not to be arsed to ask him if he's happy to play as RW? I mean we're not talking about an injury he had at 7 which might come back to haunt him when he's at his 30s. This is a big thing.
Oh it is weird. And I believe I posted something yesterday, saying the same thing. Even the club narrative and the fan narrative changed immediately after he signed. And suddenly he was not the RW we have been wanting for years, but he was competing with Rashford on an already crowded left side.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Journalists don't decide when something publishes, editors do.
Editors are journalists, not to split hairs.

The story is really a retort to ETH's comments, so you'd want to run it pretty soon after that. It can be hard to plan when you'll run a piece cos big news can break and you have to hold it.

BootsyCollins

Can we put a notification on top saying Mitten did this interview weeks ago and have no/little control in when its released.
Then we dont have to read people bashing Ole or Mitten for their timing.

Anyway, he said nothing wrong imo. He also gives me the impression that he knows he did not do well enough to keep the job and not trying to find excuses.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Editors are journalists, not to split hairs.

The story is really a retort to ETH's comments, so you'd want to run it pretty soon after that. It can be hard to plan when you'll run a piece cos big news can break and you have to hold it.
The comments where he said the club was a shambles before he took over? Wouldn't this be more supportive of that notion than a retort?

flappyjay

My guess on captaincy is probably Ronaldo. Maybe Bruno or De Gea as an outside shout. It would have had to have been somebody more senior than Maguire.

I think we know who the players that wanted to force a move are, they've practically admitted it in the media ages ago. Think Lingard and Henderson were two, who were unhappy that Ole promised them chances if they came back but never followed through. There were a couple of others too, but doubt they refused to train. VdB was one.
So he was going to strip maguire of the captaincy? I took it to mean that Maguire was 3rd option for the captaincy in 2019. Which would mean it had to be turned down by either De Gea, Matic, Mata,Pogba . Can't think of anyone else who would have made sense for captaincy in 2019.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can we put a notification on top saying Mitten did this interview weeks ago and have no/little control in when its released.

Anyway, he said nothing wrong imo. He also gives me the impression that he knows he did not do well enough to keep the job and not trying to find excuses.
If that's the case then the publication who decided to put this interview hours before a crucial game should be banned from getting anywhere near to United.

The Irish Connection

Havent read it yet but if Rashford is amongst the dissenters he needs to be fecked off as much as anyone else.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Agree with this. Let the Ole bashing commence. :lol: :(

Real Name

All good comments although some of it is just to portray himself in a good light. Like when LVG said he wanted about 10 players and never got one. Of course he'd say that after he was sacked. Of course he wanted Haaland, Rice and Bellingham..

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The comments where he said the club was a shambles before he took over? Wouldn't this be more supportive of that notion than a retort?
ETH saying that there was 'no good culture' when he took over was a slight on Ole though, who retorted that loads of the players screwed him. That's how I read it from an admittedly cursory scan of the article anyway, rather than it all being Glazer-related.

BootsyCollins

If that's the case then the publication who decided to put this interview hours before a crucial game should be banned from getting anywhere near to United.
Its the Athletic and they published it on a time when they think it will get alot of clicks. Bad United press is so hot right now, even more than usuall i guess.

It sucks for us that we are the punching bag right now, and as someone said before, this would never happen under Fergie as he would do exactly what you are suggesting.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Ole’s a clown. He’s a big part of why we have so many issues now. With is poor squad building a lack of authority.
Tell me you didn’t read the article, without telling me you didn’t read the article.

So he was going to strip maguire of the captaincy? I took it to mean that Maguire was 3rd option for the captaincy in 2019. Which would mean it had to be turned down by either De Gea, Matic, Mata,Pogba . Can't think of anyone else who would have made sense for captaincy in 2019.
Maguire wasn’t captain before he took over. Ole gave him captaincy & by the sounds of things Harry wasn’t his first choice.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Fair enough.

Athletic have certainly stuck the boot into United unnecessarily in previous weeks.
I’ve read and reread the article and all I read is an ex-manager giving some support to your current manager.
If your reference was towards dirty washing then, from what I could make of it, Oli didn’t reveal anything that hasn’t been hung on the line, in full public view, and blowing about merrily in the wind for many years.

In fact I can’t see any sign of a boot being stuck anywhere unless you consider the talk about Utd being limited financially to be some kind of a slur?

If I’ve missed a gem then please point it out to me because I do like some juicy gossip but couldn’t squeeze so much of a droplet out of that yawn-worthy dry fare.

Flanders Devil

So who do we think turned down Ole's offer of being captain?
I was trying to figure this out as well...could only have been DDG or Pogba I'd say....but I'm sure I've seen both captain the team when the regular captains weren't available

kaku06

Personally think it's poor form from journalists to release an interview on the day of big games like this.

If this is from the same interview with Mitten then he should know better.
A part of me thinks it’s calculated given ten hag is under so much pressure and history might repeat itself with some of these players might do the same thing again by throwing the manager under the bus.

Velvet Revolver

Tell me you didn’t read the article, without telling me you didn’t read the article.

Maguire wasn’t captain before he took over. Ole gave him captaincy & by the sounds of things Harry wasn’t his first choice.
This is the perfect example of how we as fans judge before we know even 10% of the facts. And good on ole to not make it public. Also like some of the other posters mentioned, nice time to release an old article like this. This ABU agenda and piing on misery seems to be getting out of hand.

JB7

The poster was responding to someone saying Ronaldo, Bruno or De Gea. Two of which hadn't joined the club when Maguire was made captain.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
All good comments although some of it is just to portray himself in a good light. Like when LVG said he wanted about 10 players and never got one. Of course he'd say that after he was sacked. Of course he wanted Haaland, Rice and Bellingham..
Haaland and Bellingham are ones we at least know for sure tbf. Though why he then mentions respecting the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Dan James for choosing to come here is more of a mystery.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I hate interviews like this. It's very easy as a failed manager to point and say "yeah I wanted these players but was told I couldn't get them" and stuff similar, Ole isn't the first to do this. And I do agree he wasn't as backed as ETH (some of that could be his fault too though). But he also brought a lot of issues on himself. His lack of authority has been well documented at this point, and he failed to ever implement any sort of system of proactive play in game. Our build up structure was so bad that teams like Southampton could make life hell for us just with a simple high press, and the only time we really thrived as a team was as a transitional/direct team against better sides.

hobbers

Sounds like he's distancing himself from making Harry captain. And generally making excuse for how Vibez FC ended up shit on a stick.

Who else turned down capt then?

Pogba, De Gea, Shaw?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
De Gea or Pogba would be my guess. We are talking late 2019/ early 2020 as Young left in January 2020.

These two were the only ones at the time who you would reckon would have had a shot at being captain. Shaw might be an outside bet but I doubt it as he was only really establishing himself the past 12 months after being out in the cold under Jose.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’ve read and reread the article and all I read is an ex-manager giving some support to your current manager.
If your reference was towards dirty washing then, from what I could make of it, Oli didn’t reveal anything that hasn’t been hung on the line, in full public view, and blowing about merrily in the wind for many years.

In fact I can’t see any sign of a boot being stuck anywhere unless you consider the talk about Utd being limited financially to be some kind of a slur?

If I’ve missed a gem then please point it out to me because I do like some juicy gossip but couldn’t squeeze so much of a droplet out of that yawn-worthy dry fare.
Crofton's general reporting of the Greenwood situation was opportunistic. And them choosing to release the Ole interview on the day of the Bayern game is distracting to say the least.

And no, he wasn't just giving support of the new manager, he said that some players who wanted out refused to play for him. That brings on whispers of which players, why did it get to that stage, are those players still there etc etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Gotta be Pogba (understandably). He wanted to leave as we all know, wouldn't make sense to accept being captain and then leave, would be like a betrayal to the fans. Other options would've been De Gea or less likely Matic or Mata. But given Ole wanted someone to play regularly, my guess it was De Gea or Pogba.

Lee565

Turned down caicedo because of lack of experience at a time when we were down to mcfred as first choice....., is he talking about the same type of experience that players like cavani and ronaldo offered because they turned out to be great for the long term vision of the team rebuild.

hobbers

Have to appreciate the irony of Ole being brought in specifically to appease Pogba (and Martial) after they were Mourinho'd.

Then Pogba goes and turns down captaincy and keeps up engineering a move away.

Dannn411

Solskjaer's problem was he did not have the balls to take the big decisions. The same mediocre players kept playing even when it was clear that they did not deserve to. He was too nice and wasn't a shark.

Jev

So many fragile comments suggesting a publication should go easy on us when we're down or show consideration for our match schedule, even suggesting they should be banned from press conferences. Snowflakes.