Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Acquire Me

To be honest, I'm not sold on Ole until he wins Mr.Olympia and Mr.Universe. Poch just won another trophy, the win games with injuries trophy. That's another one added to his impressive collection, which includes the beating Real Madrid in the group stages trophy and the 5 points behind 1st place trophy.
:lol:

SirAF

Ageist
It´s not so straight forward as one might think. His family is settled in Kristiansund (a town close to Molde), and Ole being abroad comes with a cost for the family. It´s not said that he e.g. would chose Gent or Basel over Molde.
I know where Kristiansund is :lol:

I agree he’s not leaving Molde for a club like Gent if he doesn’t get the Unitd job, but I believe he’ll have bigger offers than that.

Dve

I know where Kristiansund is :lol:

I agree he’s not leaving Molde for a club like Gent if he doesn’t get the Unitd job, but I believe he’ll have bigger offers than that.
Highly hypothetical, of course, since he´s going to be the manager of Manchester United :)

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
To be honest, I'm not sold on Ole until he wins Mr.Olympia and Mr.Universe. Poch just won another trophy, the win games with injuries trophy. That's another one added to his impressive collection, which includes the beating Real Madrid in the group stages trophy and the 5 points behind 1st place trophy.
He he. Very good.

Gator Nate

We are not a pressing team. We get tired after 65-70 mins if we keep pressing high tempo game from go.

instead our strength is to move ball quickly into spaces and run with it like there is no tomorrow.

I am pretty sure Ole will make Arsenal out of PSG.
I think we might be better than 65-70 minutes now (I've been waiting for the 8-10 week mark to really start seeing any improvement in fitness), and if we can score 3 (very possible), then we only have to hold them off. I think you'll see them channeling the ball way from Mbappe to take him out of the equation when in defense. With the improvements we've seen in the defensive line and DDG behind them, 3-0 or 3-1 is a realistic expectation. Can't start like the first 5-10 minutes on Saturday, though...

Tony247

I think we might be better than 65-70 minutes now (I've been waiting for the 8-10 week mark to really start seeing any improvement in fitness), and if we can score 3 (very possible), then we only have to hold them off. I think you'll see them channeling the ball way from Mbappe to take him out of the equation when in defense. With the improvements we've seen in the defensive line and DDG behind them, 3-0 or 3-1 is a realistic expectation. Can't start like the first 5-10 minutes on Saturday, though...
in pressing you usually keep a high line. And if you lose the ball you never want to chase a speedo player like Mbappe who also loves one on one. That would be suicide. Instead, you trap such players in triangle as soon as they approach. Usually with a FB, a DM and someone from midfield or forward. Mostly midfield. Expect pogba to manhandle Mbappe with Luke and Matic forming other points of triangle. And then martial or rash waiting for killer pass.

If the ball is with Verratti then expect herrera, matic and rashford take care of him. They will keep shifting that triangle until psg loses the ball. And then bam.

Last edited:

Canagel

We are not a pressing team. We get tired after 65-70 mins if we keep pressing high tempo game from go.

instead our strength is to move ball quickly into spaces and run with it like there is no tomorrow.

I am pretty sure Ole will make Arsenal out of PSG.
I get you but at home with their key players missing we must take the iniative and not just wait for counter. Those tactics will be suited to the 2nd leg away. To protect a lead if possible .

Revan

Assumptionman
If he defeats PSG (both legs), City, Chelsea, Liverpool and all the other teams we face this season, while scoring at least 3 goals per match, and keeping clean sheets in all of them, assuming that Pochettino refuses us, I think that we need to consider offering him a one year contract.

Revan

Assumptionman
PSG likes to play. Ole should employ similar tactics against Arsenal. Let them have the ball and we should hit them on fast counter.
We have a better midfield than them. They lack their two main goalscorers. Providing that we can starve them of the ball, there is not much they can do. We should go toe to toe with them at Old Trafford, I believe that without Neymar and Cavani, we have the better team.

Revan

Assumptionman
:houllier: Better managers than Pochettino?
Klopp definitely, Emeri and Ranieri probably.

I mean, Ranieri has multiple second-place trophies (for which Poch gets praised) with clubs who weren't in top 3 of their countries, plus an actual league title and some cups. Emeri has 3 Europa Leagues and a league title.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I dislike the article. Its a puff piece. Like one of those on a club website. Someone is preparing the stage for him to be hired full time.
Someone? Like the results, the players , the fans, the pundits(most of them at zny rate) etc

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It’s not the biggest job in football, we are not the biggest club in the world etc

I’m from London, but I live in Manchester.

Like I said, I’m not necessarily against the appointment, I’m questioning the supposed “thorough search”, considering that according to that report it’s already decided, but at this point, let’s just see what happens
I would advise getting out of England just to see how big our club is.

Being a Manchester United supporter is like owning a Ferrari or a Ducati. When you're a part of it or own one of those vehicles (I own a Ducati for example), you dont realise just how desirable they because you're not seeing it from the external point of view. But i'll sit in a coffee shop with my bike out the front and just see waves of people passing buy, looking at it, some even go up and admire it.

Every club in England wants to be us. Even city for all their recent success, are not Manchester United famous. If they were, they'd fill their stadium every single game.

This to me is why Ole is a great fit. He gets that. He understands that our club isnt just Manchester, its a global phenomenon that is underpinned by a tragic but incredibly romantic story of survival and determination.

And I think our last three managers have walked into this club thinking it was like any other and it just isnt. We have our own philosophy - identity - way of playing football. We're not a pragmatic club and our supporters will respond as much. I think that is the difference between us and Liverpool from the 80's and hopefully Ole has finally given them an understanding of that fact and makes them consider the type of person that should be in charge of our teams and the type of players we should target.

Last edited:

TsuWave

I’d advise not giving advice to people you know nothing about. I’ve lived in 4 continents and speak 3 languages fluently. If anyone is familiar with how big United is, it’s me.

Also, you edited your post and I just want you to know I stopped reading at something about Ducattis and Ferrari’s, if you guys wanna pretend United is the biggest club in the world then be it.

Loon

:lol:
I imagine the Dippers want him appointed because they hope he’ll Souness the club.

TsuWave

Then you should be able to comprehend why this is one of the top jobs in football and virtually equal biggest in the world.
Not once did I dispute it being one of the top jobs/a top job. I disputed it being the biggest job in football, much like I disputed the notion of United being the biggest club in the world. Hey man, this got boring quick, you’re moving goal posts, assertions are being changed, metaphors about ducattis and ferraris, etc. It’s just boring.

Rossa

I’d advise not giving advice to people you know nothing about. I’ve lived in 4 continents and speak 3 languages fluently. If anyone is familiar with how big United is, it’s me.

Also, you edited your post and I just want you to know I stopped reading at something about Ducattis and Ferrari’s, if you guys wanna pretend United is the biggest club in the world then be it.
Sounds like that fourth one was one too many, mate:D

United are one of the biggest clubs. Real Madrid are probably bigger, but we are close with Barcelona ahead of Bayern and Juventus. Do you think there are bigger clubs in England? PL is arguably the most popular league. Bigger doesn't have to mean better.

TsuWave

Sounds like that fourth one was one too many, mate:D

United are one of the biggest clubs. Real Madrid are probably bigger, but we are close with Barcelona ahead of Bayern and Juventus. Do you think there are bigger clubs in England? PL is arguably the most popular league. Bigger doesn't have to mean better.
some languages are spoken in more than one place :wenger:

Yes, United is indeed one of the biggest clubs around. I didn’t dispute that. And no, I don’t think there’s a bigger club in England. The only one close to United in terms of history/trophies, Liverpool, doesn’t have the same worldwide appeal and following, and is dwarfed commercially/financially. They also seem like a relic from the past although Kloop has them challenging now. I’ll say though that the football landscape has changed a lot, attention spans and patience seem shorter, and if you’re not winning in the now, you risk a rapid descent into doomsday narratives.

minoo-utd

Being a Manchester United supporter is like owning a Ferrari or a Ducati. When you're a part of it or own one of those vehicles (I own a Ducati for example), you dont realise just how desirable they because you're not seeing it from the external point of view. But i'll sit in a coffee shop with my bike out the front and just see waves of people passing buy, looking at it, some even go up and admire it.

Every club in England wants to be us. Even city for all their recent success, are not Manchester United famous. If they were, they'd fill their stadium every single game.

This to me is why Ole is a great fit. He gets that. He understands that our club isnt just Manchester, its a global phenomenon that is underpinned by a tragic but incredibly romantic story of survival and determination.

And I think our last three managers have walked into this club thinking it was like any other and it just isnt. We have our own philosophy - identity - way of playing football. We're not a pragmatic club and our supporters will respond as much. I think that is the difference between us and Liverpool from the 80's and hopefully Ole has finally given them an understanding of that fact and makes them consider the type of person that should be in charge of our teams and the type of players we should target.
Yes. Here in Egypt we have a decent fan base and an organized union supported by the club it self gathering each game to watch United in different cities. Let alone the love and passion we carry for the club.

Rossa

some languages are spoken in more than one place :wenger:

Yes, United is indeed one of the biggest clubs around. I didn’t dispute that. And no, I don’t think there’s a bigger club in England. The only one close to United in terms of history/trophies, Liverpool, doesn’t have the same worldwide appeal and following, and is dwarfed commercially/financially. They also seem like a relic from the past although Kloop has them challenging now. I’ll say though that the football landscape has changed a lot, attention spans and patience seem shorter, and if you’re not winning in the now, you risk a rapid descent into doomsday narratives.
So that's why we learn English then:D:wenger:

Agree with you, but as I said, I can only think of RM eclipsing United, arguably Barca much due to Messi. However, United definitely need to compete again, both league and CL.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn't he do alright? Signed Suarez and Carrol after selling Torres, they were clamouring for him to stay on in the end.
Yep, he did alright as interim manager. Then he signed as permanent manager and ultimately proved a failure. Which, I imagine, is how Liverpool fans hope things go for us. Solskjaer does well without actually winning anything, we hire him as permanent manager, he fails while the manager(s) we could have had (Poch or whoever) go on to success elsewhere.

VJ1762

This graph here shows that we have been consistently overperforming for the last 2 months. The number of goals scored doesn't correspond to expected goals. Something to keep in mind.Our squad still needs work.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This graph here shows that we are consistently overperforming for the last 2 months. The number of goals scored doesn't correspond to expected goals. Something to keep in mind.

Just shows that XG is bollocks tbh. we haven’t been lucky in any sense so far

Scholsey2004

This graph here shows that we have been consistently overperforming for the last 2 months. The number of goals scored doesn't correspond to expected goals. Something to keep in mind.Our squad still needs work.

Our squad needs work so that we can make the pink line match the yellow line? Is that how football works now?

Needham

Think we have to hire him now, he's so damn childlike in his sunny outlook. Who could fire him? He'd properly burst into tears with snot bubbles and all over body shaking. No one at Utd has the heart.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
xG is a glorified nothing stat, just like pass completion percentage
or assist to assist
or assist to assist to assist

Last edited:

Tony247

So that's why we learn English then:D:wenger:

Agree with you, but as I said, I can only think of RM eclipsing United, arguably Barca much due to Messi. However, United definitely need to compete again, both league and CL.
Asia is Red.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
xG is a glorified nothing stat, just like pass completion percentage
or assist to assist
or assist to assist to assist
I have to agree with this, its meaningless.

According to the formula behind xG a player can never be expected to get better, a team can never improve, Mohammed Salah cannot exist etc.

DoubleRevv

I have to agree with this, its meaningless.

According to the formula behind xG a player can never be expected to get better, a team can never improve, Mohammed Salah cannot exist etc.
Not quite. The xG graph shown here has a historical component to it including Mourinho's time - hence the vertical line showing when OGS took over.

Think of it as Mourinho's style of football on the left side of the vertical line weighing our "normal" xG plot and so tilting the performance under OGS above what xG predicts is our "normalcy"

In real terms it implies to me that either Mourinho had us playing below our potential or OGS has us playing above our potential (the narrative the original tweeter has taken).

We know which of those is true.;)

crossy1686

career ending

Have we been overachieving? Or were we just underachieving due to poor management before? Love how when someone is good it's too good to be true but when something is a shit show everyone's like "yeah, this is us, this is how good we really are". Come on...