Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Because flexible is a way you would describe recent PL champions: Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea, Man City.

I’m not saying it’s good or bad yet. I thought my post made it pretty clear that there are some things that make it tough to evaluate.
City under pep are very flexible tactically. I'd argue Conte was too for Chelsea.

rotherham_red

Anyone putting the blame on Ole's tactics for that need to realise that the sport of football isn't for them. Arsenal were shit, and there for the taking but our finishing let us down and we were equally as poor as them in general play.

The gameplan was spot on; the execution of it, wasn't.

Revan

Assumptionman
We still most likely will be on top 4, and a defeat was eventually going to happen. We were unlucky today same as we were lucky in a few matches including Wednesday. Nothing to get worried about.

Fridge chutney

Does every game have to be micro analysed?

We would have won on another day. A large part of football is luck, believe it or not.

Move on.
Very true. Also, when you factor in randomness (as @Lentwood eloquently articulates in his post) looking at a 1-off match really isn't instructive.

We had a European hangover, Arsenal were gifted a goal and dove to get a penalty, and our finishing was poor.

There isn't much else to say other than that we probably would have won that match 9 times out of 10.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We still most likely will be on top 4, and a defeat was eventually going to happen. We were unlucky today same as we were lucky in a few matches including Wednesday. Nothing to get worried about.
I think we've got a good shot at it, but right now I wouldn't have us as favourites.

Arsenal and Chelsea have very favourable run-ins, and both are likely to be above us once we've all played 30 games. Spurs could be in free-fall, but they've got the quality to stop it. Top 4 is on, but it's going to be really tough.

Mr.007

Well, at least the xG showed Utd played the best game :) Too bad it doesn't count for much...being the morale winner...but it was exciting at least, and not scoring a single goal was a miracle for Arsenal this time. Utd don't have a freepass for miracles after all :)

Revan

Assumptionman
I think we've got a good shot at it, but right now I wouldn't have us as favourites.

Arsenal and Chelsea have very favourable run-ins, and both are likely to be above us once we've all played 30 games. Spurs could be in free-fall, but they've got the quality to stop it. Top 4 is on, but it's going to be really tough.
Spurs and Chelsea are losing points left and right, with Spurs having to play both City and Liverpool, while Chelsea having to come at Old Trafford. Arsenal has 5 away games in the remaining 8 games.

It is open for all, and we have good chances of ending there. I think that it will be us and Arsenal who will qualify for UCL.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Spurs and Chelsea are losing points left and right, with Spurs having to play both City and Liverpool, while Chelsea having to come at Old Trafford. Arsenal has 5 away games in the remaining 8 games.

It is open for all, and we have good chances of ending there. I think that it will be us and Arsenal who will qualify for UCL.
Hadn't realised Arsenal had so many away games left - they travel so badly.

Spurs are in free-fall, but have more than enough quality to turn it around still. Chelsea will be interesting to watch. They seemed to have a mini-revival after the League Cup final, although today's result wasn't ideal. Be interesting to see how they get on. Whatever happens though, it's going to be one hell of a run in (top 4, title and relegation), and we have so much to be grateful to Ole for for ensuring we're a part of it.

We could end up with a very odd Manchester derby where a win for us gets us top 4 but wins Liverpool the title. Sophie's choice right there.

Seven Seas Sardines

I don't want his children.
Want him sacked. Bite bite
Wasn't expecting white text since it's now more or less redundant because 50% of posts on here are taking the piss now! However, the reactions on here are ridiculous. We'll learn a lot from this disasterclass, and I believe we'll see a different side against Wolves in terms of attitude.

We'll probably spend 50k a week less on De Gea's contract now too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You can criticise the players but not the coach? I just think United are a better team than Arsenal right now, and despite De Gea making a wildly uncharacteristic mistake I thought we should have controlled the game better but we allowed them to get into the game more than we should have.

Main one for me was the change in setup. It made Pogba peripheral and allowed Xaka and Ramsey to get more joy than they had in the last game.

Criticising the manager doesn’t mean we want him out, he’s the man for the job - but this game wasn’t his best.
Of course in this case I can criticize the players because it's the individual mistakes that cost us. De Gea's mistake was huge and the reason they scored. Our players failing to finish on multiple chances were the reason we didn't. It happens, it's not a huge thing but it is on the players. In terms of how the game flowed/our control over it, I don't think we can have too many complaints. Arsenal are a good side with a terrific home record. We are a better side than them but at the Emirates they are always going to be slight favourites over us. It's the way it is for every big team playing at home. Even with that we limited them to not really that many chances (of course they didn't need to after they scored), while we created many but just didn't take it. If one of our 2 posts went in, or one of the other 3-4 chances were taken, we're not having this conversation.

hocane

Shit day at the office. Wasn't like a Jose defeat though where we didn't register a fecking shit on target. We were unlucky.
I don't understand. If it was a shit day at the office then why were we unlucky?

We weren't shit we had the best chances in the game and should have been 2-0 up at the brake, but if you don't put your chances away at this level you get punished.

Good game, poor finishing.

Lentwood

If this argument were correct, it would essentially imply who the manager is has no effect on whether a team wins or not.

Were you saying the same on Wednesday or when we beat Arsenal in the FA Cup? Because if you're going to give Ole credit for those wins, we also need to consider the possibility his decisions might have an effect when we lose too.

He made a mistake today IMO, but that’s okay.
It doesn’t imply the manager has no impact at all. I’m saying don’t assign huge meaning to events that came about randomly and don’t go back after the fact and fit a narrative to these events as if they were all the result of a linear event path once Ole had selected his team

The point is to collect the biggest Data set you have (all of Ole’s results not just one) BUT be very, very careful about making judgements based solely on results because the point is Ole could do absolutely everything right in a game and we could lose or Ole could do everything wrong and we could win.

A football match is the outcome of millions of decisions and actions by 23(+) human beings and two sets of coaching staff.

The “fooled by randomness” part applies because when teams win, the “fools” praise the manager and when teams lose, the same fools criticise the manager and point to all kinds of mistakes they made which had the ball bounced differently, they would have lauded as great decisions

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It doesn’t imply the manager has no impact at all. I’m saying don’t assign huge meaning to events that came about randomly and don’t go back after the fact and fit a narrative to these events as if they were all the result of a linear event path once Ole had selected his team

The point is to collect the biggest Data set you have (all of Ole’s results not just one) BUT be very, very careful about making judgements based solely on results because the point is Ole could do absolutely everything right in a game and we could lose or Ole could do everything wrong and we could win.

A football match is the outcome of millions of decisions and actions by 23(+) human beings and two sets of coaching staff.

The “fooled by randomness” part applies because when teams win, the “fools” praise the manager and when teams lose, the same fools criticise the manager and point to all kinds of mistakes they made which had the ball bounced differently, they would have lauded as great decisions
This is my type of poster. Need this sanity when we have five days until our next match and the best part of three weeks until our next league match.

Andrew~

Of course in this case I can criticize the players because it's the individual mistakes that cost us. De Gea's mistake was huge and the reason they scored. Our players failing to finish on multiple chances were the reason we didn't. It happens, it's not a huge thing but it is on the players. In terms of how the game flowed/our control over it, I don't think we can have too many complaints. Arsenal are a good side with a terrific home record. We are a better side than them but at the Emirates they are always going to be slight favourites over us. It's the way it is for every big team playing at home. Even with that we limited them to not really that many chances (of course they didn't need to after they scored), while we created many but just didn't take it. If one of our 2 posts went in, or one of the other 3-4 chances were taken, we're not having this conversation.
I think we would be having this conversation. There’s a reason why we have separate threads to discuss the performances of different players - very rarely is it ever one single factor that leads to us losing, but they are all worth talking about.

Yesterday we lost because of multiple reasons, primarily individual mistakes but in some part also because the boss made a tactical decision that didn’t work out. This is a thread about Ole so we’re talking about that.

I didn’t make a judgement because of results, I watched the game and I thought we would have performed better if there was a tactical change. We might not have won (that’s happened before), but we would have played better and restricted Arsenal more.

That’s not being ‘fooled by randomness’ - it’s called watching the fecking game.

Even in chaotic systems, there are factors that play into the ‘outcome’ more than others. And the decisions of the manager are those.

That’s why the manager rightly gets credit for amazing performances like Paris, and should also have some questions asked in games where we don’t play as well. It’s not a big deal, just like that mistake from De Gea doesn’t make him shit, a mistake from Ole in one game doesn’t make him shit either - we just have to be honest about that if we want to get better.

Sauldogba

I thought we was a little bit unlucky yesterday but that being said i do think he should shoulder some of the blame.
Playing Fred,Matic and Pogba together was a mistake.
As was not starting Martial.
I also find that he does leave it a bit late to bring on substitutes.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought we was a little bit unlucky yesterday but that being said i do think he should shoulder some of the blame.
Nothing that hasn't been said...about 1000 times!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Critics being critics.

We had more than enough chances to score 2-3 goals and there was some very good last ditch defending from arsenal

Don’t feel disappointed personally, was kinda expecting that a European hangover and injuries would catch up on us

Not Oles fault, tactics were good. If Lukaku has scored that early chance probably it would be a different conversation entirely

GBBQ

Yesterday was the first time that I thought Jose would have gotten a better result than Ole. Would have probably packed the defence and nicked a goal and then shut up shop.

However that's just in isolation, no way Jose would have made up the points difference to even have us in touching distance, no way he would have gotten past PSG. No need to over analyse a single match, even SAF had his bad days at the office. Its about how we get back up and keep putting the pressure on.

Lentwood

I think we would be having this conversation. There’s a reason why we have separate threads to discuss the performances of different players - very rarely is it ever one single factor that leads to us losing, but they are all worth talking about.

Yesterday we lost because of multiple reasons, primarily individual mistakes but in some part also because the boss made a tactical decision that didn’t work out. This is a thread about Ole so we’re talking about that.

I didn’t make a judgement because of results, I watched the game and I thought we would have performed better if there was a tactical change. We might not have won (that’s happened before), but we would have played better and restricted Arsenal more.

That’s not being ‘fooled by randomness’ - it’s called watching the fecking game.

Even in chaotic systems, there are factors that play into the ‘outcome’ more than others. And the decisions of the manager are those.

That’s why the manager rightly gets credit for amazing performances like Paris, and should also have some questions asked in games where we don’t play as well. It’s not a big deal, just like that mistake from De Gea doesn’t make him shit, a mistake from Ole in one game doesn’t make him shit either - we just have to be honest about that if we want to get better.
So if what you're saying is correct - had Lukaku put that early sitter away and we had won 3-0 with exactly the same set-up and exactly the same XI, you would have come on here and said the tactics where wrong? I didn't see many people saying our tactics where wrong or Ole got it wrong after the PSG game but we got absolutely battered for most of that game and scored three very lucky goals.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to criticise the manager and there won't be occasions when we CAN point to potential errors of judgement (always remembering the context those decisions where made in), I'm just saying be careful that you're not judging the performance of the manager solely on results which can owe much to luck and random events

EDIT: BTW I'm not meaning to insult you by using the word 'fool', it's purely with reference to the book. We are all 'fooled' all the time in life, politics, economics, sport etc....

Lentwood

This is my type of poster. Need this sanity when we have five days until our next match and the best part of three weeks until our next league match.
I had to be 'someone's kind of poster' eventually given the number of posts I make and the number of people on this forum but still.....thanks :-)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Critics being critics.

We had more than enough chances to score 2-3 goals and there was some very good last ditch defending from arsenal

Don’t feel disappointed personally, was kinda expecting that a European hangover and injuries would catch up on us

Not Oles fault, tactics were good. If Lukaku has scored that early chance probably it would be a different conversation entirely
Yeah, we had injury crisis at very wrong time. In 15 days we played Liverpool, Palace away, Southampton, PSG away, Arsenal away. This is with players like Lingard, Herrera, Matic, Martial, Sanchez, Mata missing.

Very hard run of games with so many players missing. At least now few of them are back and we have international break after this week.

Kapardin

Yesterday was the first time that I thought Jose would have gotten a better result than Ole. Would have probably packed the defence and nicked a goal and then shut up shop.

However that's just in isolation, no way Jose would have made up the points difference to even have us in touching distance, no way he would have gotten past PSG. No need to over analyse a single match, even SAF had his bad days at the office. Its about how we get back up and keep putting the pressure on.
Packed the defense? We lost 3-0 and 3-1 against Spurs and City earlier this season under him.

Skåre Willoch

Unlucky in my opinion. Lukaku should've scored at least two, while Arsenal got lucky with a flukey shot by Xhaka, and a very cheap penalty.

The tactics were alright. We were bound to lose in a tough away fixture at some point.

buckooo1978

Ole will know better by the end of the season but may be this is an indication about the level of some of the players

at their current level I don't think we will win a league with Rashford/Lukaku as a partnership

Rashford is still developing but will be become the kind of striker to become a consistent match winner?

Lukaku has been shit hot lately and although he missed some great chances yesterday I thought his link up play was good - again though is he going to develop from a streaky striker to someone with Ruud-like consistency

time will tell

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Was just a bad day at the office. We didn't take our chances, we did not find our rhythm to build up nice attacks, it was just moments of attack that we showed. Totally unlucky with hitting the crossbar/post, had Lukaku's chance gone in Arsenal would have succumbed. It wasn't meant to be yesterday and we all know that on any other day we would have beaten Arsenal. Let's focus on the next games as we just missed an invitation to solidify our top 4 status.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Martial had just come back from injury, perfectly reasonable to give him a run out at the end.

I was initially willing for subs earlier than he made them but then had a think about it and could see his logic in holding back. We were on top of them and creating chances. Why be too hasty trying to bring on a player just because we hadn’t yet scored. It could have broken the rythum of the game and killed the momentum we had.

On another day, one of those chances goes in and we are calling him a genius for his patience.

442 was a mistake, I think we need to drop it and go back to 3 in the middle. We have struggled a bit with it in previous games too. Arsenal played very wide and stretched our midfield out leaving massive gaps. If you look at our average positions, our midfielders were miles from each other, especially compared to Arsenal. Once we switched the formation and Pogba came infield we were much better but we'd already conceded by then. I don't think the individual players have too much to do with it today, the system meant we were always going to be overrun.

TRUERED89

McTominay should have started this game, he's been very good lately. Matic is too slow and hasn't played for weeks, he was never going to be up to speed, hence why I didn't include Matic in my lineup prediction, because I had a feeling he wouldn't be at his best.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Chelsea have to go to OT and Anfield and there next game is away to Goodison which even with this shite Everton side is never an easy game. They also have to go away to Leicester and play Cardiff and Burnley (2 teams fighting for their lives). Plus they gotta balance all this with their EL fixtures, which are gonna get tougher as they go deeper inn the competition. So I have no idea how you think they have a favourable run-in.

Alemar

We may still win a champions league to qualify to champions league

Kapardin

We may still win a champions league to qualify to champions league
We could also finish empty-handed and 6th.:lol:

But even if that happens, he has still done a brilliant job and deserves a shot next season. Even in the Arsenal game, his tactics were spot on and it was on the players that we lost.

I only have one concern about him, that whether he would drop players like Rashford for a spell if they perform badly. Rashford is from the academy and has been presented as the poster boy in a way, local and all that. Ole needs to treat him like the rest and drop him if he doesn't do well.

GBBQ

Packed the defense? We lost 3-0 and 3-1 against Spurs and City earlier this season under him.
This is correct. We also played neither of these teams yesterday. We played a so-so Arsenal team who lost to the mighty Rennes on Thursday night.

Kapardin

This is correct. We also played neither of these teams yesterday. We played a so-so Arsenal team who lost to the mighty Rennes on Thursday night.
Losing to Rennes does not make them any less a side? It's a one-off.

They raised their game with respect to their defense. Were very solid at the back, and despite that we missed 5 chances.

Our defense was relatively unperturbed. Their goals came from De Gea not moving at all to a Xhaka shot from outside the box and Lacazette taking advantage of Fred. So how would a "packed defense" win us the game when none of our defenders were responsible for the goals?

midnightmare

Same "so-so" team that's dropped only 7 points at home all season (1 loss and 2 draws) in the league? It's amazing quite how entitled some of the fanbase can be - or maybe it's a sign of how the media (and Twitter) affects rationality. Arsenal this season have been tripe on the road, but amazing at home. They may well have lost to Rennes away (they also lost to BATE away, for the record), but they're a Top 6 side and have been superlative at home. To assume that we should have rolled them over would be presumptuous to say the least.

Andrew~

So if what you're saying is correct - had Lukaku put that early sitter away and we had won 3-0 with exactly the same set-up and exactly the same XI, you would have come on here and said the tactics where wrong? I didn't see many people saying our tactics where wrong or Ole got it wrong after the PSG game but we got absolutely battered for most of that game and scored three very lucky goals.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to criticise the manager and there won't be occasions when we CAN point to potential errors of judgement (always remembering the context those decisions where made in), I'm just saying be careful that you're not judging the performance of the manager solely on results which can owe much to luck and random events

EDIT: BTW I'm not meaning to insult you by using the word 'fool', it's purely with reference to the book. We are all 'fooled' all the time in life, politics, economics, sport etc....
Probably, I was moaning about the decisions to my girlfriend during the game. If we'd won I might not have come here about it, because I'd quite frankly be too busy bantering my brother (Arsenal fan) about it. That said, we lost, and I think the tactics contributed, so we're talking about them. I did't say anything about the PSG game because I thought Ole made mostly the right decisions and he deserves a massive amount of credit for taking a team that hurt by injuries and winning 3-1. I also don't believe we got lucky in Paris, the tactics and application were very good.

On this game, you can criticise the manager for using the wrong tactics, and also the poor application by certain players - both fair.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Wasn't expecting white text since it's now more or less redundant because 50% of posts on here are taking the piss now! However, the reactions on here are ridiculous. We'll learn a lot from this disasterclass, and I believe we'll see a different side against Wolves in terms of attitude.

We'll probably spend 50k a week less on De Gea's contract now too.
Why? Ball flies towards David and then turns left, very fast and close to him, he did not have enough time to react. Pretty sure other goalkeepers would be shocked as well. He is only human and saved out asses sooo many times. Shit happens, let's move on.
I don't like reading Caf after we lose, cause I get angry at some stupid posts blaming everybody and everything, for losing a game of football. It's like the end of the world here when we lose. Like last 3 months don't count any more. Some people need to realized you can't win evey game. Could have, should have scored a few, didn't. F**k it, let's move on.
I'm not afraid of not getting in top 4 or 3, Arsenal have this thing of showing up agains us only to lose next game. Spurs gave up and probably concentrating on CL. Hazard can't save Chelsea every game. Unai Ole's at the wheel, he'll do fine, already has.
On to the next game we go.