Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Disappointing today, looked devoid of ideas, wrong subs, wrong time, seemed resigned to loosing. This was his chance to show he can pick the team up after an unfortunate loss against Arsenal, unfortunately he stumbled. Hope he learns his lesson here.
Bolded part fills me with optimism. Fighting for titles with coach who must learn things. Great

TRUERED89

Matic is just horrendous, too slow. He was shocking vs Arsenal as well. Mctominay was good against Palace, Southampton and PSG, he should have started today, why persist with Matic. Terrible performance and result, everyone was just static, passing sideways with no runs in behind or passing in between the lines. Very reminiscent of LVG and Jose football. Awfully disappointing, Lukaku was actually a miss today; Our front 3 did absolutely nothing.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
We are still a very fragile team. We came out flat against Arsenal, a game we should have been smashing as they had one day rest/preparation. Soon as you lose that momentum, we looked nervous and just really poor tonight.

We need to see how Ole can get us to react now and get back on track as this could go downhill fast.

ZupZup

Wolves are a good side... their results this season have shown it. We needed to be right at it if we were going to win tonight and we just weren’t at all. Too many players performing so far below what we know they can.

The team looked lethargic and we moved the ball far too slowly. We played like it was a friendly rather than our best chance of silverware. Perhaps some of it can be put down to all the players coming back from injury and not being physically 100%... but the attitude really needs to improve for the matches we have coming up.

BaseFishing

We can't put this one on Ole.

This very game is what I would show to the board in a meeting. I'd make them sit and watch the whole thing. And by the end I'm sure that a £200m cheque for transfers will be signed.

We need to re-assemble a top squad full of great young players who have, most importantly, a great attitude. This process needs to be done with great care, and I do believe Ole is the right guy to do this.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
We lost due two stupid individual mistakes, failed to clear a pass and then conceded at the near post. Our attacking was always breaking up as we couldnt finish any buildup. Arrogant at times too, the front three should have done better, cant blame Ole for this as on paper this is our strongest 11 bar the GK, we just didnt turn up.

dove

We lost today because we didn't put all our effort into the match, nothing to do with Ole or the 'tactics'
We'd be silly not to keep Ole on after the end of the season, Iregardless of tonight's results.
We would be more silly to offer him a permanent job with at least 10 more games to play this season.

Cloud7

They look fecking knackered. They’ve been run into the ground and most of them are injured or lacking fitness as a result.

That said, the fitness will come. He’ll add to the squad and we’ll be in much better shape next season.
Yeah this summer is very important in terms of getting the fitness levels up to play a more aggressive game. Definitely a blessing for us that there’s no tournament this summer.

OneUnited24

I hope the PSG game has not drained the squad. 2 consecutive loses after Paris can't be a coincidence.
I think that plays a part but the performance against arsenal wasn’t bad and today he got it wrong with his selection. Martial, Lingard and Herrera looked like players who were half fit and they are.

Pogba and Rashford just look shattered which has been the case for sometime.

I’ve always been on the fence about ole. My heart wants him to stay but my head says something else. That said some of the reaction on here is laughable

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We would be more silly to offer him a permanent job with at least 10 more games to play this season.
I agree. Need a response.

All the goodwill with the press and fans is wonderful but if we play like a Jose mark 2 side then there should be a question mark

Trophy Room

I think the problem with the 2 lossess are that it signifcantly impacts end of season goals. We are out of a winnable tournament and lost a six pointer against a top 4 rival. I agree that it is 2 games but consecutive results such as this prior to an international break affects confidence and we all know how that can snowball.

Ole has done a magnificent job since he has come in and perhaps because of his own success hopes have been raised that the old United are back. This is obviously not the case. If we fail to get top 4 and barcelona kick us out of the champions league then we start next season on the back foot whoever the manager is. Honeymoon is done. Now for real marriage!

Eddy_JukeZ

I wouldn't make a decision until the end of the season.

I'm worried that our general performances have been trending down for a while now.

We need a huge summer.

Un4givableB

Reactionaries? As in reacting to what we're all seeing? Let's be honest, we were super lucky against PSG. We did OK against Arsenal but were pretty woeful in front of goal. And tonight we simply did not show up, like many many times this season pre Ole appointment.

Also, Ole did not manage to change things tonight to figure out a way to better counter their game plan.

Surely we can speak about how things are without being knee jerking.

HERETIC

I'm one of the 6.3% but l accept that Ole will probably get the job and we will waste another couple years, while City gets stronger & stronger.

Stacks

His biggest mistake is that the players coming back from injury have just strolled back into the starting 11.They look out of form because they haven't had a chance to work they way back to form.
Agreed. Threw them in too willy nilly. No reason why McTominay has lost his place tbh. He was one of MoTM vs PSG and now a ghost.
This is exactly what my assessment was about. No doubt that Wolves is a tough team, but can we really say that Ole is as tactically competent as the other proven managerial candidate?

I want United to have a manager where we can go to a top team and take control of the game, rather than putting an emphasis on a tactical approach of letting our players enjoy our football. I still don’t understand what our philosophy is under Ole. It seems it changes with who our opponent is. Tuchel outplayed us, but we won, Pochettino outplayed us, but we won. What I am getting at is, our football needs to improve from a philosophical perspective where we are the team that dominate all aspect of the game. Although, we did this early against the weaker team, but it seems our football has been on a decline since then. This will be another test on Ole, towards how he will get us at the level where we were when we were at our honeymoon period.
Pochettino hasn't won many games recently and Ole has actually made up 10pts on him. Poch has also won nothing with this philosophy. He is not the example.
Both the club and the fans are in for a rude awakening next season. I've very carefully expressed my concern before with regards to his tactics and if that is good enough.

We need investment but also a manager with a very clear vision of how to play.
Zidane doesn't need one. Maybe we don't. We didn't have one under SAF. This vision stuff is hipster nonsense. Just play well, play attacking, move into space, work it into the box, take shots

Moriarty

We are still a very fragile team. We came out flat against Arsenal, a game we should have been smashing as they had one day rest/preparation. Soon as you lose that momentum, we looked nervous and just really poor tonight.

We need to see how Ole can get us to react now and get back on track as this could go downhill fast.
Lose the momentum and it can go into reverse. I hope that's not the case with us. I still think Ole will get us over the line into top four.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I agree. Need a response.

All the goodwill with the press and fans is wonderful but if we play like a Jose mark 2 side then there should be a question mark
It will be interesting to see how the players respond to these defeats. They apparently want Ole to get the job, let's see them give everything to ensure he gets it.

Ludens the Red

The main worry at this point isn’t so much the results but the dip in performances. The football has declined significantly in the last month or so and we’ve had a few players going back to their Mourinho form where there’s lots of walking around the pitch and laziness off the ball. If we get back into those habits we’re doomed regardless of who’s in charge.

As for today, Ole didn’t change it quick enough and Fred should have come on earlier to inject some energy, it was way too ponderous. Also not having any attacker on the bench. There’s also been little things like playing Pogba off the left that haven’t worked at all.

drdoityourself

When our best players all play on the same side of the field, Pogba, Shaw and Martial, it's imperative that we put some threat on the right. Lingard tucks in and does very little, making the Wolves defence able to focus solely on one half of the pitch.

We are so easy to defend against, unbelievable that Ole has continued with just abandoning the right wing. Chong or just someone who can stay out there could at least stretch the defence.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s a frustrating period but it’s also been an incredibly difficult one. Three back to back away games against tough opposition in three different competitions with an injury crisis (not so much an excuse today).

Wolves were fully committed today in a way which our players were unable to be. Fergie had moments like this and his teams always came back more determined. Now we see if Ole can get a reaction like Fergie or quickly lose the dressing room like the previous three managers.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
When our best players all play on the same side of the field, Pogba, Shaw and Martial, it's imperative that we put some threat on the right. Lingard tucks in and does very little, making the Wolves defence able to focus solely on one half of the pitch.

We are so easy to defend against, unbelievable that Ole has continued with just abandoning the right wing. Chong or just someone who can stay out there could at least stretch the defence.
But what the feck did Dalot do exactly?

Peope say that we don't need Wan Bissaka but he put in a better shift in defeat than Dalot did.

Sterling Archer

It's not Ole. It's these fecking soft skinned babies we have out there. Our response to going down a goal continues to be losing focus even more, feeling bad for themselves and conceding a second before a sense of pride and desire returns.

Palace. Newcastle. City. Burnley PSG. Arsenal Wolves. Just the last couple seasons it's a real piss poor reaction. All mental. Doesn't happen if we score first from what I recall. One of the hallmarks of that string of wins when ole first started

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We can't put this one on Ole.

This very game is what I would show to the board in a meeting. I'd make them sit and watch the whole thing. And by the end I'm sure that a £200m cheque for transfers will be signed.

We need to re-assemble a top squad full of great young players who have, most importantly, a great attitude. This process needs to be done with great care, and I do believe Ole is the right guy to do this.
1) Yes we can. He is the manager. If Jose and Lvg were blamed for shit like this, if Ole is glorified for wins against Arsenal Chelsea, Psg...then we can say that some defeats are on him. Arsenal game wasn't but this just is.
2) We will not have rebuilding. We signed new contracts with most of our players who are not good enough so this is next year's squad plus 2 or 3 new players

ManRed

Will be interesting on how Ole gets the team to respond after international break.

Halftrack

I don’t want to get too hasty, but it is a little bit concerning that for the past two games, one against a top 4 rival and the other a cup quarter final, pretty much the entire team has looked below par. Can’t say why, but hopefully this is the end of it and the team puts in a performance in our next game. The injuries certainly haven’t helped either.
I'll give you today, as several players looked shite, but Arsenal? As a whole, we played well against them, but our finishing let us down, which was made worse by De Gea dropping a clanger.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No manager can do anything when half you team perform like ours have tonight

Pogba,shaw,martial,rashford,lingard,lindelof and Herrera have been utterly shit

The rest have just been shit
He shouldn't have thrown in a load of players coming back from injury like that. He had players with momentum and dumped them back on the bench. The ones coming back from injury should have been on the bench.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Agreed. Threw them in too willy nilly. No reason why McTominay has lost his place tbh. He was one of MoTM vs PSG and now a ghost.

Pochettino hasn't won many games recently and Ole has actually made up 10pts on him. Poch has also won nothing with this philosophy. He is not the example.

Zidane doesn't need one. Maybe we don't. We didn't have one under SAF. This vision stuff is hipster nonsense. Just play well, play attacking, move into space, work it into the box, take shots
Maybe I said that wrong, but I'm not sure Ole is the right man for the job. Who knows though. We will see soon enough I guess.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
It's almost like he inherited a squad with absolutely appalling quality beyond those key players and has had to deal with an injury crisis.

No, wait, it's exactly like that.
No it doesn’t help that 90% of our players, either only play when they feel like they’re loved and wanted or are simply not good enough to be at the club. That is the problem.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There is still a lack of quality in our first XI which can only be addressed in the summer. He's doing the best with what he's got but there was an over reaction to his initial impact on individual players.