Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Patrick08

It is not just one bad game. Spurs, Leicester, Psg home and away and Southampton were not that good also. We just had more luck in those games. And after dire Jose's football, everything looks better and more attacking.
Again, i don't know is he good or not. I am just trying to be objective. Maybe our players are not good enough. I don't know. I think that Allegri or Poch would be better because with them we know what we are getting. With Ole, we don't.
[/QUOTE]

Tactically he has done nothing wrong bar one or two games. The players represent themselves with all these up and down performances.

JohnnyKills

Who gives a feck. It's the FA Cup. When we get back on top we'll be fielding a team of kids in this competition.

Looks like quite a few of our players need a break though.

NJM78

With three defeats and a draw in the last eight games and Barcelona and City to play next month, I can really see us struggling for form and consistency in the final two months of the season. I actually believe we will lose all three of those games.
As I had never thought from the beginning of the season we would get top 4, I will not be overly bothered if we do not make it. Ole of course gave me a glimmer of hope but I still think we will narrowly miss out.
I’m also not swayed either way by him staying or not but my biggest concern is we need at least three top class players to come straight into our starting 11 if we have any aspirations of winning the biggest honors. If we do not buy well it doesn’t really matter who will manage us as we are simply not as good as the best teams and I do not see it changing anytime soon.
Let’s hope I am completely wrong.

Last edited:

wolvored

Because the fa cup is a trophy that should be very low on our priorities (lvg got sacked after winning it (his championship!!) and Saf didn’t even enter it one year). Top 4 is our major ambition now, especially after drawing Barcelona in the last 8. Today players should have been rested, instead he rested our goalkeeper, who would have probably saved both goals (certainly the second)!
Utd didnt enter it as the Premier League/FA wanted us to be the trendsetter in a new competition. VG got sacked as he had had 100's of millions of pounds on garbage players and still couldnt finish top 4. We had to go for this as its the only realistic chance of winning anything this year.

Ban

It is not just one bad game. Spurs, Leicester, Psg home and away and Southampton were not that good also. We just had more luck in those games. And after dire Jose's football, everything looks better and more attacking.
Again, i don't know is he good or not. I am just trying to be objective. Maybe our players are not good enough. I don't know. I think that Allegri or Poch would be better because with them we know what we are getting. With Ole, we don't.
Well you cant expect us to be great in all games. Overall we've been good and are now in top 4 battle which was unthinkable before Jose was sacked. And as you said club needs investments. With Ole I think we can get and idea already what we're getting, with Pochettino actually not cause it will be the 1st time he'll be at a truly big club. He's a good coach and I can get why people would take him but I dont think it's fair to Ole to panic after one truly bad game. Sure in some games we werent good and were lucky but it seems to me like some were just waiting for a game like this. All that honeymoon rabble and so on..

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I ain't overreacting about tonight's game. Ole's still the guy for me.

crossy1686

career ending
We were fecking poor tonight. Players look like they're still dining out on the PSG performance or looking ahead to the Barcelona game and expected Wolves to roll over for us. We haven't got anything on the bench to bring on and it looks to me like a few either aren't fit or are carrying something.

I'm just glad this wasn't the league otherwise we'd be in serious trouble now. We have to get back to winning ways ASAP.

Manny

Grammar Police
But there was no one on the bench to replace him. Also rashford wasn't going to get space in behind wolves defense.
True, but Rashford has been getting away with stupid decisions for a while now and it doesn't help the rest of our attack get going.

Ole really needs to get Rashfords ego in check, especially if he's low on other attacking option.

Patrick08

True, but Rashford has been getting away with stupid decisions for a while now and it doesn't help the rest of our attack get going.

Ole really needs to get Rashfords ego in check, especially if he's low on other attacking option.
I don't think its an ego issue with him, he us young player and English you get up and down performances with this combination. He needs a rest but injuries aren't allowing him that .

Fridge chutney

:lol: at morons who think 'tactics' had anything to do with us losing against Arsenal and tonight.

We lost at Arsenal because our strikers couldn't put the fecking ball in the net despite dominating the play. We lost tonight because our attitude stunk and we produced feck all quality.

Ole is 100% responsible for results - that's the same for all managers in the game but let's see how things go before we start pretending we're experts in football tactics.
Well said. And the truth is we were never going to continue winning every game. Ole will be taxed for how high he's raised expectations.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Tough loss but our draws in FA Cup were absolutely brutal. We managed to knock out Chelsea and Arsenal at their stadiums and still went out to Wolves who are a very good team as well.

He’s still the man for the job and deserves the contract.

wolvored

We havent got a 25-30 premier goals a season striker. We havent got a backup/2nd striker to score 15-20 premier goals a season. We havent got a midfield capable of scoring the other 20-25 goals pressing and controling a game against the big teams. We havent got a superstar who can create something out of nothing like Hazard for example. We havent got 2 strong CD who can control the back. We will probably need 2-3 transfer windows to build a title winning team regardless who comes in. I do have my doubts whether Rashford or Martial will ever get to the level that we need. They both still way too inconsistant and have been playing at the top level for 3 years now.

Paul_Scholes18

Going to be weird appointing Solskjær over the international break on the back of a loss...
Yeah I have my doubt over him. I think he will do well, but would probably be better to wait and see how we do against Barcelona. That is a massive test for how strong we are.

el3mel

Because the fa cup is a trophy that should be very low on our priorities (lvg got sacked after winning it (his championship!!) and Saf didn’t even enter it one year). Top 4 is our major ambition now, especially after drawing Barcelona in the last 8. Today players should have been rested, instead he rested our goalkeeper, who would have probably saved both goals (certainly the second)!
Except we played our best team today, bar De Gea who was poor last game.

That's a pretty poor and weak excuse for tonight defeat.

Abhinav

The 1st half today was one that we have seen multiple times under SAF. Then SAF would have his ht talk and the team would come out with more urgency and tempo. Unfortunately, didn’t happen for us today. Don’t think it has much to do with Ole’s tactics. Rather, these players are really inconsistent and not good enough to play possession football when the opposition sits back. To do that you need players who retain the ball even when they play at a higher pace. The only thing Ole could have done was to take off one of Matic/ Herrera earlier and brought on Mata. But that’s not a substitution that would really inspire much optimism.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Except we played our best team today, bar De Gea who was poor last game.

That's a pretty poor and weak excuse for tonight defeat.
That’s not what I was saying. I was saying we should have rested players tonight and played youth. I was saying that ole seems intent on running our players into the ground.

AndyJ1985

That’s not what I was saying. I was saying we should have rested players tonight and played youth. I was saying that ole seems intent on running our players into the ground.
Probably because he - like the rest of us - can see how dreadful most of our squad players are. When we have to resort to using dross like Mata to liven up the attack you know we're in trouble

el3mel

Fa Cup is an important competition. No big club wants to end its season trophyless, and no big club complains about competing in different competitions with a thin squad. Actually bar City all big clubs in England don't have a big squad.

Also there's no running them in the ground. Our last game was 1 week ago, and and we have 2 weeks break after tonight.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
We better wait until the end of the season for any contract talks. Let's not be daft. This is our future we're talking about.

Trizy

Despite results going in our favour, I feel that the football is on a constant decline for a while now. Honeymoon is over, Ole needs to step up.
This.

We were also incredibly lucky in most those games too (as the xG stats show). Our luck ran out.

All 3 United

Probably because he - like the rest of us - can see how dreadful most of our squad players are. When we have to resort to using dross like Mata to liven up the attack you know we're in trouble
Mata would have been 100 times better than lingard at number 10 ! That’s not even debatable.

All 3 United

Fa Cup is an important competition. No big club wants to end its season trophyless, and no big club complains about competing in different competitions with a thin squad. Actually bar City all big clubs in England don't have a big squad.

Also there's no running them in the ground. Our last game was 1 week ago, and and we have 2 weeks break after tonight.
Maybe but explain why our players have gone from looking hungry to knackered. All I can think of is the Jose effect I.e. let’s play to show how wrong he was but now that’s worn off.

el3mel

Maybe but explain why our players have gone from looking hungry to knackered. All I can think of is the Jose effect I.e. let’s play to show how wrong he was but now that’s worn off.
They aren't knackered. Many players today didn't play the last couple of games actually.

I posted about this some pages ago, but this performance is not new. We have seen it a lot, many times really it's the players problem now.

I can point several matches of last season of exactly same performance and result.

Huddersfield, Newcastle, Brighton, Bristol away and WBA, Southampton and Burnley home.

You see any difference between these games from last season and this one in terms of performance?

This lackluster attitude is on the players. After a good run of great result, we end up with matches like this, and when they believe they can win without putting much efforts in.

Our players are extremely arrogant for nothing and they need a good kick up in the arse to return to performing and putting efforts again.

Thing like this is why we will never challenge for the league

NoPace

First game I thought he didn't do a great job. Could have brought on a 3rd CB and matched them, tried to open things up.

Also it was always clear we weren't going to create much against them sitting so deep with our non-Lukaku strikers and Lingard generally being poor against those sort of setups. Mata at minute 45 would have been worth a go.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Didn't like the setup. Very ignorant to the fact this is what Wolves do. We should have focused on creating a goal or two to set us up, then defended rest of the game and hit them on the counter. They wouldn't be able to cope with that style of play. Sadly, roles were reversed and that is on Ole, imo. And I love the guy and hope he stays forever.

BurtSpangle

Ole's peak was the first game at Cardiff. We played quick, one touch football and actually created some good chances. Since then, the performances have slowly got worse, and while it was a great result against PSG it was fairly lucky. I'm really worried about next season now if we appoint Ole. He's going to stick with a lot of players who aren't good enough like Rashford, Lingard because they're homegrown and it's going to be another poor season.

I feel like the next manager has to be the right one, I can see next season being over by Christmas and Ole out of a job. I hope I'm wrong but we've seen over the past few years that it's going to take a world class coach offensively to get anything out of our current crop of players. We don't have Real Madrid/Barca calibre players where we can afford to appoint our version of Zidane.

Reactions: Jippy

Sauldogba

That was honestly one of the worst displays of football I have seen.
Even worse than Mourinho and LVG.
For me he got a few things wrong.
The tactics,not starting his firat choice goalie in such an important Fa cup game and leaving his subs too late.
I have called him out a few times on it because i noticed he leaves it way too late to make a sub.
Not calling for his head but I think we should wait till the end of the season and see where we are then before we jump the gun and give him the job

Judas

Open to offers
That was honestly one of the worst displays of football I have seen.
Even worse than Mourinho and LVG.
For me he got a few things wrong.
The tactics,not starting his firat choice goalie in such an important Fa cup game and leaving his subs too late.
I have called him out a few times on it because i noticed he leaves it way too late to make a sub.
Not calling for his head but I think we should wait till the end of the season and see where we are then before we jump the gun and give him the job
What difference would that have made? You make it sound like their goals were clangers.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Agreed.

On top of that, it feels like Rashford is allowed to do whatever we wants.
Rashford influences games even when out of form though. He forced the errors for the two goals against PSG. He scored the pen. He took a chance well tonight. That’s more than I can say for someone like Martial, who when he’s bad offers nothing.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah funny how Rashford gets so much abuse, when Martial gets away with nights like tonight too often. He was dreadful tonight.

Rashford was trying to make things happen all night and was at least involved.

Un4givableB

I'm just wondering if we don't finish in the CL places should OGS still get the job?

My position is still the same as the day we appointed him as caretaker boss, wait till the end of the season and get the best manager that's gettable.