Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Tony247

He’s really no bigger a gamble than Pochettino now. If he can revitalise the club structure like he has the first team...
he is no longer a gamble mate. Poch is now a huge huge gamble. Like staking your both kidneys on 10000/1 odd.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I'll never forget the day I met Sir Alex in the reception area. I was going in to hand in an application for match day steward, went to the desk, spoke to the receptionist that day...and then like an apparition, who came around the corner and into view?! Sir Alex. He must have seen some emotion on my face because he looked straight at me, walked towards me, said "hello son" and I said "Hello Mr Ferguson".

In the moments after I wondered whether there was any element of disrespect from me, considering his Knighthood and being a 'Sir'. But in the moment I went for Mr Ferguson to refrain from using his first name.

Lovely little experience. He was wearing a bright yellow jumper. Just thought I'd throw that in there. :D
I used to be a steward and had a similar encounter with Paddy Crerand and Gordon McQueen whilst waiting to go on shift. They approached me and my work mates! Absolute gentlemen.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not bad, I found a pretty good one I posted 7 years back. :cool:

He needs to stay at Molde and win back to back titles, if you want to be the best you need to show consistency, I still think it's inevitable he'll be the united manager one day. The fans would love him, I'd rather have him then someone like Moyes.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This time last year we were knocked out by Sevilla, and man like Mourinho was chatting about football heritage.

Tonight we knock out PSG, finishing the game with Chong and Mason :drool:

Ole's at the fricking wheel yo.
I was thinking that earlier. The difference really is night and day isnt it? I remember being livid at Jose after that Sevilla game, like the most angry i've been as a fan.

minoo-utd

Almost same time last year we were knocked out by Sevilla, Jose declared then that we don't have football legacy or something like that. It was down to the manager eh!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Was a really dark night for us then, and that cloud never really lifted until that sour faced arse-hat left!
In time, i'm sure i'll remember Jose's time here slightly differently, as he did bring some success. But as a man he really was toxic, just never once understood imo what this club is about. Just a very bad fit ultimately.

Seven Seas Sardines

Avram probably joined in. :D
Maybe even the Glazers will feel more attachment to the club and its results in the future. Hopefully this will spur them on to recruit a DoF and give Ole a big budget since they know he'll make good use of it.

However, I now only feel like we need a left-footed RW and back-up LB to complete the squad this summer. If McTominay, Fred and Pereira can beat PSG away, who needs midfield signings?? Dalot will make the RB spot his for years to come and Young will still be a decent backup next year.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
In time, i'm sure i'll remember Jose's time here slightly differently, as he did bring some success. But as a man he really was toxic, just never once understood imo what this club is about. Just a very bad fit ultimately.
Agreed. While we were about 'us', he was all about him and didn't even care to hide it in his pressers.

On to good times :D

Westlie

Allright, im going to read through the thread tomorrow. So if someone can remind me to start at page 220 via private message, that would be great!

Because, as a newbie im not sure if this is going through, or if im even writing this correctly (and im sorry, but this is intentional caps lock:)

FCCCCUUUUUUUUUK YEEEEEAH! Motherfnucking Solskjær! Holy fcuking shit! I study in a small village in Norway (8000 inhabitants) and today, at the "town hall", it was 1500 people gathered to watch the match. As United went through, so did the beer. Which means i am fcuked up.

God damn, hats of to you Ole. Youve done it again, and on behalf of Volda; thank you, thank you very much. As an 11 year old boy i got permission from my parents to stay up late and watch you put in the second goal against Bayern in 99'. As a 30 year old man, youve made my heart melt again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. As they say in the US of A; God bless you. And god bless these United players of Manchester.

Reactions: KM

deafepl

What have you done, Ole? Put pressure on Glazers to invest 200m in summer transfer window please, we need more quality from all over pitches and squad depth. I hope our win result is not distracting Glazers from our performance especially we had 10 injuries out, if we had Herrera, Matic, martial, Pogba, etc, we'd be ripping them apart.

king_dinho

Whatever happens for the rest of the season, Ole gets the job. I have a test tomorrow but there is no way I can concentrate now. Im just going to believe I can pass and Ole proved thats all it takes in this world.

Oaencha

What have you done, Ole? Put pressure on Glazers to invest 200m in summer transfer window please, we need more quality from all over pitches and squad depth. I hope our win result is not distracting Glazers from our performance especially we had 10 injuries out, if we had Herrera, Matic, martial, Pogba, etc, we'd be ripping them apart.
While I agree with most of your post, I disagree with the last bit. This result was a perfect storm of everyone playing for their lives, PSG underestimating our back-up players, and a healthy dose of luck. I actually think we would have lost if we were at full strength. We hardly ripped them apart in the first leg, did we?

deafepl

While I agree with most of your post, I disagree with the last bit. This result was a perfect storm of everyone playing for their lives, PSG underestimating our back-up players, and a healthy dose of luck. I actually think we would have lost if we were at full strength. We hardly ripped them apart in the first leg, did we?

I think I was overestimating but PSG is not at their best and made many mistakes but if we had Martial, Pogba, Herrera, and Matic, we'd be countering properly and more control in midfield, Pogba's long creativity passing would help us better when we capitalize on their misplaced and try to play out from back to attack. We lost many balls in midfield especially Andreas and Young rushing when we need to slow tempo sometime. I think we'll play better with Herrera, Pogba, and Martial in the team.

el3mel

I'm tired and read this as Avram Grant and got very confused for a good 10 seconds.
Rest assured you are not alone. Every time I see "Avram" , my brain completes it subconsciously to Avram Grant.

Ferginolol

Solskjaer was genuinely happy for Pereiras performance against Southampton when he came off, although we were in desperste need of a winning goal. Today he put in two youngsters when we were striving to get that last goals. Thats how you earn respect from your players, and thats how you remain in a club for years instead of months.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
After the first PSG game I felt Ole got a number of things wrong, and I also felt the 0-0 against Liverpool was treated as a better result than it was.

But the Palace and Southampton games both impressed me given the players available, and then this tonight is just another level.

Last edited:

PepsiCola

His tactics worked a fecking charm

I counted 3 different formations through that game

Players must have complete trust in him

I love it

Flytan

I love it
I mean I dunno if it was the formation early or just Bailly/Young not being good, but that wasn't a very good period.

Otherwise a masterclass.

Brightonian

I love it
Haha very charitable to praise him for the first 'formation' when Bailly and Young had absolutely no idea what they were doing and we could easily have gone 3-1 down! But he did have the balls to fix his mistake and after that everything worked flawlessly, it was a masterclass.

Makalu

It felt like the plan for the 2nd half was to ride out the first 20-25 minutes, keep solid, not concede and not really try to score either and then try and grab a goal in the last 15 mins. Smart. Obviously I would have taken a goal earlier in the 2nd half but I do think we would have struggled to keep out the ensuing onslaught from PSG for long. Really good game management. Obviously a huge slice of luck helped with the pen but if that's what Ole brings then the future is bright.

Canagel

It felt like the plan for the 2nd half was to ride out the first 20-25 minutes, keep solid, not concede and not really try to score either and then try and grab a goal in the last 15 mins. Smart. Obviously I would have taken a goal earlier in the 2nd half but I do think we would have struggled to keep out the ensuing onslaught from PSG for long. Really good game management. Obviously a huge slice of luck helped with the pen but if that's what Ole brings then the future is bright.
it was very obvious what the plan was. we came on very strong in the last 15-20 minutes and ole already pre planned the subs of Chong and Greenwood to attack in this period. they looked more tired actually and out of ideas. We got opened up only once/twice despite conceding the ball 70%.

Ciedre

Supports
Liverpool
Sigh, this man is gonna be the bloody death of me. Not sure I've ever had more mixed feelings about a football player ever...

Loved him as a Molde striker
Respected and feared him as a United striker.
Loved him as a Molde manager.
Felt sorry for him as a Cardiff manager.
Liked him when became the Molde manager again.
And now, just sigh....

Reactions: jojojo