Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

United_We_Stand

David McDonnell: "Caretaker boss Solskjaer is set to be confirmed as United’s permanent boss on an annual salary of £7.5million. Managerial rock-star Mourinho, sacked last December, was getting a huge £15m-a-year."

Irrational.

One manager played down these young players, other manager thought it was good opportunity for these young players to show what they are capable of.

Jose is just the most anti ManUtd manager we have ever seen.
He started this season with no intention to finish it. The toys were out of the pram from pre-season.

Feck him.

Canagel

he's also still unbeaten as quite a few posters have mentioned. The 0-2 was only the 1st half. it doesn't count .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have to commend Ole for opening my eyes towards a new tactical approach that I was not that aware of before. Going into the second league, I taught we will play more like Ajax recently or like most top teams that are in need of goal. As in, we press high, control the game, and show more urgency to get a goal.

However, what Ole did last night is something, I rarely see. Which was(or as I coined it), “let PSG shite themselves.” He let psg have control and as if he was Nostradamus, knew that PSG will get complacent and shoot themselves in the foot. 9/10 times this tactics will probably not work, but it did last night. I doubt we will see it again, but I m interested to assess such tactical play if we get into a similar situation in the future.

Ole has amazing luck and most good managers does. So, credit to him for getting us past PSG.
Strangely enough, this is LITERALLY Mourinhos philosophy in action. He must have had wet dreams over that performance. He even praised Solskjaer!. It was very risky but he knew they would get scared.

Seven Seas Sardines

Seeing that Chelsea can overtake us with their game in hand makes me feel uncomfortable, although have to give credit to Ole for where we are atm.
Relax, we play them at Old Trafford in the end of April. Two weeks after they've gone to Anfield. ;) Tottenham are only 3 points ahead of us and they have to go to both Emptihad and Anfield.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

One manager played down these young players, other manager thought it was good opportunity for these young players to show what they are capable of.

Jose is just the most anti ManUtd manager we have ever seen.
Mourinho was a disgrace.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You know that the "real test" will come in the next round of the Champions League, absolutely convinced that Man Utd will face Tottenham. The ultimate Ole vs Poch!

If this doesn't happen there are no football gods, or maybe there are and they will save this for the final after you've knocked out pool and city :devil:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You know that the "real test" will come in the next round of the Champions League, absolutely convinced that Man Utd will face Tottenham. The ultimate Ole vs Poch!

If this doesn't happen there are no football gods, or maybe there are and they will save this for the final after you've knocked out pool and city :devil:
I would love to play against Spurs. Would be one of the easier games to play in the CL, no mickey mouse stuff.

moodyred

1. Luck
2. New manager syndrome. Everything will fall apart next season.
3. Any other manager could have done it as Jose was so poor and toxic (e.g. Paul Ince)
4. Done nothing tactically except unleashing the players to do what they do best.

That's what most non-United fans are saying. I would like to see another caretaker do a job like OGS. :)

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
1. Luck
2. New manager syndrome. Everything will fall apart next season.
3. Any other manager could have done it as Jose was so poor and toxic (e.g. Paul Ince)
4. Done nothing tactically except unleashing the players to do what they do best.

That's what most non-United fans are saying. I would like to see another caretaker do a job like OGS. :)
They. Are. Scared.

OldRed1

My new son-in-law, a Liverpool supporter, hated it when United appointed Ole, not for what Ole would do but because he liked him so much and he found it very easy to hate all previous United managers he'd known. A little like me when Robson, then later, Klopp went to Liverpool, I still like Robson as a man but I've gone off Klopp with his weird excuses every time they drop points.

Natener

12min mark, Ole talks about Molde and implementing the United way there making Molde a smaller scale Man United. Won the league dominated by Rosenborg in 2011 and defended it successfully in 2012. Kept them challenging for the title still, and been quite impressive in europe as well. So, not a bad trial run for long term with mini-Manchester United.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
My new son-in-law, a Liverpool supporter, hated it when United appointed Ole, not for what Ole would do but because he liked him so much and he found it very easy to hate all previous United managers he'd known. A little like me when Robson , then later, Klopp went to Liverpool, I still like Robson as a man but I've gone off Klopp with his weird excuses every time they drop points.
Which Robson went to Liverpool?

SqueakyWeasel

midnightmare

My new son-in-law, a Liverpool supporter, hated it when United appointed Ole, not for what Ole would do but because he liked him so much and he found it very easy to hate all previous United managers he'd known. A little like me when Robson, then later, Klopp went to Liverpool, I still like Robson as a man but I've gone off Klopp with his weird excuses every time they drop points.
Do you mean Roy Hodgson?

Sterling Archer

He’s made absolute fan girls out of his players. Pogba lukaku rash martial and lingard just love him. Anyone see lingards snap story this morning? He has ole as his phone background
Thing about this is, we've got this generational shift in the lives and attitudes of these young players that seems to often clash with some of the older, more traditional manager types. There was a really good post here a while back getting into it, using Capello and Jose as examples. Can't recall by whom. The whole millennial thing. Anyway, it really seems that Ole is at ease with that, especially because of his time with the academy. I think that's part of the secret sauce to his success so far. He can relate and manage the old guard as well as the young mavericks

Sterling Archer

What was worse when they were first dating, imagining your [presuming] daughter having intimate relations with this chap or them cheering on Liverpool together? :p

Pearson

As a fan from China, yesterday was like a real Spring Festival. I could not concentrate on my job in office.

Looking back on last couple of months, it was a pure dream.

Such a giant club with such as glorious history at such a disasterous point when he came in, he single-handedly turned it around, bringing us back to the right track exactly as the old Manchester United under Fergie. The fact that many former players were shouting "This is Manchester United" yesterday just proves what he's done is meaningful.

and he is such a lovely man. A baby face with a steel heart striving for glory, and a warm-hearted man.

What else can we expect as a Manchester United fan?

Kapardin

12min mark, Ole talks about Molde and implementing the United way there making Molde a smaller scale Man United. Won the league dominated by Rosenborg in 2011 and defended it successfully in 2012. Kept them challenging for the title still, and been quite impressive in europe as well. So, not a bad trial run for long term with mini-Manchester United.
I like the way he adapts as well. Against PSG, we were very defensive minded without actually parking the bus. He appears to have told the players to defend as a team but if they get the ball, to just go forward taking a bit of risk, as opposed to passing sideways or booting it long. So even our defensive approach against better teams isn't cowardly by any stretch of the imagination.

mikemandey

Quote from The Guardian:

Solskjær left Romelu Lukaku out there for the final 20 minutes, even when his legs had almost gone. But he also brought on Mason Greenwood with a brief to run in behind PSG’s defence, as Lukaku had in the first half. Instantly that high defensive line dropped 10 yards, a move that led indirectly to Diogo Dalot being close enough to goal to try the shot that led directly to the VAR-assisted penalty that sealed the tie. Sometimes luck is often just another word for managing the small details.
This is why I love him!

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nature-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-manchester-united

moodyred

The video is supposedly about football yet the background music is that of Kitchen Nightmares. And Why is Bear Grylls narrating?

Edit: Good interview.
First time I am watching this. You just love the guy a bit more every day. Great interview.
Particularly like the part where he said: When the team is 1 nil down, players should want the ball and not disappear from the game. Before OGS, I felt that our players were so uncomfortable on the ball and most just want to get it away from themselves instead of taking charge. The side and backward passing days are over.

Tiber

Good article-much more than an MEN style one line bullet point

Kaos

The only negative I can think of if appointing him (and I’m really clutching here) is if he does poorly and we’d have to sack him. That would break my heart :(

Tiber

Confirmation once again that Ole is not a Molde employee

Presumably why that 8m figure was floating around when we hired him, a gentleman's agreement to compensate Molde if we keep him would be required

Lelouch geass

That's okay. Don't take match day thread too seriously. Those are spontaneous reactions without much analysis. That is what watching live is all about. It gets your adrenaline pumping. Those posts are emotions. Enjoy the thrill. You will have plenty of time afterwards to ponder.
Bit like neymar

RedRotorhead

Ole's masterstroke last night was to know exactly the only way we were ever going to get a result and then drilling that into the team.

Push hard early, get a goal and rattle them. Weather the inevitable storm, stay in the game until the last 10 minutes and then pray for chaos. It requires a lot of luck, but that was the only way we were ever getting through and he prepared the team perfectly to execute that plan. He never once gave up on the tie, he knew it was possible and as soon as that first goal went in the players believed too.
Had a god laugh in second half when big Lukaku went down in a duel, for no reason at all, obviously to give Ole two minutes with the team on the sideline. Ole with written memo in hand so he wouldn't forget anything. Brilliant dedication, and always believing!! Must feel so good to be on the team, especially for the academy players now stepping up in big games. This is really going somewhere!

sp_107

I am happy to see SAF enjoying football again, He might have a slight guilt feeling for recommending Moyes and how it went since but he redeemed himself by bringing in Ole/Mike

Hope we see some success and he will enjoy his later years with a smile and pride on his face

Reactions: Akshay

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
If he is going to be our next permanent manager is really not the question any more. How long his contract is going to be really is.

I would prefere if we gave hime a two year contract with an option for another year. That would mean that we trust him enough.

Ole and his coaching team has done a wonderful job so far, but there are still things we need to improve on obviously. I think once we give him a summer of traning, with some new additions we can really flourish. We need to be able to have more controll of the game, keeping posession a bit more, especially against smaller teams. We must dominate them in order to be real title contenders. Against bigger teams Im completely fine with the counter attack strategy, its kinda funny when fans of opposite teams are salty after they lost against a counter attacking United side.

The most important thing thas has happened after Ole took over is the change of atmosphere at the club. Under Mourinho we looked like a bunch of mercenaries and I agreed with that statement at that time. Now if you look at the reactions from players after the PSG the atmosphere is totally different. The players, and fans also, seems to buy the philosophy of Ole to 100%. Just look at eg. Rojo. The guy has barely played a minute at the club since Ole took over and he is celebrating like he just won a world cup. Another example: Sanchez. The guy has played extremely poor and has been critized, rightfully so, by fans and the media. He also cheers like there is no tomorrow. On the field he might show of like a diva from time to time, but I really think he really cares about this club. Hope he can turn it around.

Ot:

Im sorry for all the misspellings since my first language is not english, hopefully Im being clear enough about my ideas so everyone here can understand them.