Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

rotherham_red

If he is going to be our next permanent manager is really not the question any more. How long his contract is going to be really is.

I would prefere if we gave hime a two year contract with an option for another year. That would mean that we trust him enough.

Ole and his coaching team has done a wonderful job so far, but there are still things we need to improve on obviously. I think once we give him a summer of traning, with some new additions we can really flourish. We need to be able to have more controll of the game, keeping posession a bit more, especially against smaller teams. We must dominate them in order to be real title contenders. Against bigger teams Im completely fine with the counter attack strategy, its kinda funny when fans of opposite teams are salty after they lost against a counter attacking United side.

The most important thing thas has happened after Ole took over is the change of atmosphere at the club. Under Mourinho we looked like a bunch of mercenaries and I agreed with that statement at that time. Now if you look at the reactions from players after the PSG the atmosphere is totally different. The players, and fans also, seems to buy the philosophy of Ole to 100%. Just look at eg. Rojo. The guy has barely played a minute at the club since Ole took over and he is celebrating like he just won a world cup. Another example: Sanchez. The guy has played extremely poor and has been critized, rightfully so, by fans and the media. He also cheers like there is no tomorrow. On the field he might show of like a diva from time to time, but I really think he really cares about this club. Hope he can turn it around.

Ot:

Im sorry for all the misspellings since my first language is not english, hopefully Im being clear enough about my ideas so everyone here can understand them.
3 year contract is the right length to give him. Shows that we trust him and will give him the necessary time to develop the club on the pitch and off it.

Dve

It´s made clear today that Ole does it fact not have a contract with Molde. His new contract (from early December) was terminated when he signed for United - simply because you as a manager cannot be contracted to two different clubs at the samt time. So it looks to be a complex situation, as I do not believe Molde would have agreed to let him go for free. Is the agreement that Ole has to sign a new contract with Molde whatever happens when the season is over? And then United will have to buy him out of the new one?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
12min mark, Ole talks about Molde and implementing the United way there making Molde a smaller scale Man United. Won the league dominated by Rosenborg in 2011 and defended it successfully in 2012. Kept them challenging for the title still, and been quite impressive in europe as well. So, not a bad trial run for long term with mini-Manchester United.
This was a point I brought up back in 2012 when some were wanting him to move to a small premier league club. What Ole did at Molde is far more important for a Manchester United Manager, learning how to rotate squads and still win trophies and fight for a league. Playing in Europe and having that schedule. Yet people thought he should move to Aston Villa. :houllier:

More Managers should do what Ole did, its far more important for a Manager to learn how to rotate squads and fight for a league title and motivate the players. It's good practise for a Manager who has ambition to move to a top club as the methods you use can be transferable.

Jomini Da Tactician

Ole's tenure reminds me of the TV show Gotham. The rise of various villains makes it necessary for a figure like Batman to exist. Mirroring this, Bruce Wayne's struggles set him on course to becoming the famed vigilante. Similarly, Ole's own trial of fire has seen him continue to prove himself against some of the toughest opponents in world football. We have had encounters with some of the most deviant creatures known to man. These include the Joker (Klopp), Two Face (Pochettino), Penguin (Sarri), Ras Al Ghul (Tuchel), and Riddler (Emery). Bane (Pep) will come later. Solskjaer has held his own against them. From the ashes of ruin, he has caused United to rise like a phoenix. He is our Dark Knight :devil:

Last edited:

Gator Nate

Good article-much more than an MEN style one line bullet point

Very good. My favorite:

There are no square pegs in round holes. Paul Pogba sees himself as an attacking midfielder so Solskjaer uses him as one. Romelu Lukaku, despite his size, isn’t a hold-up centre-forward so the manager doesn’t employ him that way. Marcus Rashford isn’t a winger, so Solskjaer trusts him to play up front.

For all the stupidity of the "smile and make everyone feel good" comments (that can really only last a couple of weeks, if at all), I think the thing that facilitated the across-the-board improvement of the players has been his fitment of them into his system, and the adjustments to the system for the players at hand. Also never liked the accusation that players were downing tools. A player that works best in position A is not going to be best in position B. To put him where he can't be the most comfortable, then accuse him of intentionally playing sub-standard, is sheer foolishness. Even at PSG, you can't blame Bailly for intentionally playing poorly at RB. Either he wasn't comfortable there or he was just having a really off night (I think both, actually), but I don't think he wanted to play that way.

Lj82

I have to commend Ole for opening my eyes towards a new tactical approach that I was not that aware of before. Going into the second league, I taught we will play more like Ajax recently or like most top teams that are in need of goal. As in, we press high, control the game, and show more urgency to get a goal.

However, what Ole did last night is something, I rarely see. Which was(or as I coined it), “let PSG shite themselves.” He let psg have control and as if he was Nostradamus, knew that PSG will get complacent and shoot themselves in the foot. 9/10 times this tactics will probably not work, but it did last night. I doubt we will see it again, but I m interested to assess such tactical play if we get into a similar situation in the future.

Ole has amazing luck and most good managers does. So, credit to him for getting us past PSG.
How did you manage to make your post sound app condescending when you looked as if you are praising Ole? You are unreal.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The next Dark Lord. In 10 years' time, it's gonna be fun on RAWK. Devil in disguise.

Red_Beans

I have to commend Ole for opening my eyes towards a new tactical approach that I was not that aware of before. Going into the second league, I taught we will play more like Ajax recently or like most top teams that are in need of goal. As in, we press high, control the game, and show more urgency to get a goal.

However, what Ole did last night is something, I rarely see. Which was(or as I coined it), “let PSG shite themselves.” He let psg have control and as if he was Nostradamus, knew that PSG will get complacent and shoot themselves in the foot. 9/10 times this tactics will probably not work, but it did last night. I doubt we will see it again, but I m interested to assess such tactical play if we get into a similar situation in the future.

Ole has amazing luck and most good managers does. So, credit to him for getting us past PSG.
It's almost like Ole developed a specific plan to beat a specific team and it worked! Weird right? If only other managers showed that much tactical flexibility perhaps they would have better results when it mattered.

Love your new tag line by the way

sp_107

Ole said he wants players to take ball forward to the opposite team box ASAP which is same as Moyes philosophy of crossing bi-line ?

Redlyn

Nah, 14-2-0. One aggregate win doesn't turn into two.
If we had won both games we'd certainly saying 15-2-0. Seems we have just decided to pretend that game never existed. Not that I am complaining or I care either way just saying...

Canagel

This is the press conference that did it for me. Still wanted him to succeed with us as I always want us to succeed but he really should have been sacked after that. Worse than anything Moyes ever said
this wasn't actually the one. it was the other post match conference when he boasted about knocking us out in the CL.

bleedred

1. Luck
2. New manager syndrome. Everything will fall apart next season.
3. Any other manager could have done it as Jose was so poor and toxic (e.g. Paul Ince)
4. Done nothing tactically except unleashing the players to do what they do best.
5.Its actually SAF in the background

That's what most non-United fans are saying. I would like to see another caretaker do a job like OGS. :)
And the media have been hounding on that as well. Its so disrespectful to Solskjaer and his backroom staff.

Seven Seas Sardines

If we had won both games we'd certainly saying 15-2-0. Seems we have just decided to pretend that game never existed. Not that I am complaining or I care either way just saying...
I think the asterisk is perfectly fine in the thread title. Once Ole's beaten in a game that isn't a reversed knock-out game, it can be removed. Hopefully the asterisk will stay there til the end of the season!

peridigm

Hypothetically, if we make it to at least the CL semi's, finish the season top 4 or even 3rd with a great record for the remaining games, plus get to the FA Cup semi/final, would Ole deserve manager of the season?

Why or why not?

IronTulip

Belatedly changed my vote from No to Yes. Sorry I ever doubted you Ole <3

Unbelievable how one man can change things so much in such a short space of time! He has united United. Players & fans are happy again. He's earned the job at least three times over by now.

Kudos to the backroom staff too. Thanks for giving me back my club. Instead of hating getting up for the early morning matches (4:30am), I now can't wait for the next match.

The only downside is I can't get Ole's at the wheel song out of my head.

Reactions: Akshay

Canagel

1. Luck
2. New manager syndrome. Everything will fall apart next season.
3. Any other manager could have done it as Jose was so poor and toxic (e.g. Paul Ince)
4. Done nothing tactically except unleashing the players to do what they do best.

That's what most non-United fans are saying. I would like to see another caretaker do a job like OGS. :)
the comparison with di matter is also very annoying. ole has consistently produced wins in every competition whereas di matteo was great in the cups but average at best in the league gaining only 18 points from 11 games in the league that season , winning less than half of them. ole on the other hand won 29 points from his first 11 games and has continued the winning runs.

FujiVice

I think a lot of the media have been very kind to Ole (and rightly so.) He's a nice chap. Not only that, he's a Premier League legend. Scorer of the winning goal in a Champions League final, yet he's got no ego. He didnt as a player, he doesnt now. He respects everyone. He's nice to the tea ladies and he's humble and interesting and friendly in interviews and in press conferences. Journalists really like him. Pundits really like him. If Mourinho would have pulled off that PSG result, you can guarantee there'd be way more said about VAR and the possession percentage we had, but Ole's intentions are so good and he is so likable and unselfish people genuinely seem to want him to get the job.

Mourinho was a massive negative influence on anyone that spends time with him. He was such an aggressive, miserable personality. Patronising, abusive, thinking his way is the only way. Massive ego. Solskjaer is the opposite to him in every way. He's united the fans, the dressing room, brought a fear to playing United again, brought the respect back to the club after years of egotistical managers still trying to convince themselves they are still top men in the game (Van Gaal and Mourinho.) I have no doubt in my mind he will bring the good times back to this club. He takes great players and makes them play to their potential and he takes mediocre players and forces them to work hard to get everything out of them. We're a team lead by a man. Not a man who moans about his team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If i were Glazer/Ed, this is a manager worth to invest, timewise and moneywise.

L1nk

An added great thing about hiring Solksjaer full time, in my opinion, is that IF, and its a big IF, he should start to dwindle or things don't look so good, I can't see Solksjaer trying to cling to power for too long, being the person he is and his love for the club he would step down I think and let someone else take the chance before things got ugly.

Of course i'm not saying I want this to happen. But that realistically there is a possibility.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Good to see Ole always talk about distance covered, work rate. We have improved but out fitness levels are poor. Think preseason will be intense to improve fitness levels.

Mr Smith

Nah, 14-2-0. One aggregate win doesn't turn into two.
Lets not behave like Bluemoon or RAWK. The fact that we won the tie doesn't eradicate all record of the fact that we lost the first leg. It does mean the first leg doesn't matter, but it shouldn't ever mean that we pretend the first leg never happened.

On another note, I'm really curious to see the length of Ole's contract. Someone mentioned 2 years with an option for a 3rd; I think maybe I'd go 3 years with an option for a 4th.

Sereques

The only negative I can think of if appointing him (and I’m really clutching here) is if he does poorly and we’d have to sack him. That would break my heart :(
The way he thinks is the reason he will be a very successful manager for Manchester United. Obviously, there will be bumbs on the road, he will learn from it and we will thrive. I’m very confident we have the right manager this time and we’re very lucky.