Ole in? Some surprising stats that reveal another side to Solskjaer's management performance

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
World stars? What world stars has Ole signed excluding last summer? Maguire? AWB?

You can say Bruno but we had no competition for him so he was hardly nailed on to have the impact he’s had, and on that point what we are good at is pointing out how managers like Klopp have bedded players in and brought them on to another level, well that’s exactly what Ole did with Bruno.
Unless it’s another case of ‘Bruno bailed Ole out’ instead of giving the manager any credit for identifying the player and helping him hit the ground running and even go to another level like he has.

Yes Liverpool bought extremely well and had the best coach in the world to bed them in. That should make this stat more impressive, not less.

I’m literally trying not to defend Ole here but the double standards on things like these stats and spending etc irks me because it doesn’t bode well for the next manager either.
Just stop with this Ole elevates players bullshit, especially with players like Bruno. Bruno was the highest scoring/ assist midfielder in Europe for a couple of seasons before he even joined us. He was looked at in the summer of 2019 but was deemed to risky in his passing and very nearly joined Spurs which is well documented but Sporting where asking too much money. Ole then went on another one of his bad runs and the club as a last hailmary decided to take a punt on Bruno in January which thankfully (for Ole) paid off.

How can you say he elevated Bruno when he hit the ground running from the very first game unless you're insinuating that a half hour training session with Ole turned him into that player?

Put it this way. If Bruno had of went to Spurs Ole would of been out of a job some time ago.

RUCK4444

Just stop with this Ole elevates players bullshit, especially with players like Bruno. Bruno was the highest scoring/ assist midfielder in Europe for a couple of seasons before he even joined us. He was looked at in the summer of 2019 but was deemed to risky in his passing and very nearly joined Spurs which is well documented but Sporting where asking too much money. Ole then went on another one of his bad runs and the club as a last hailmary decided to take a punt on Bruno in January which thankfully (for Ole) paid off.

How can you say he elevated Bruno when he hit the ground running from the very first game unless you're insinuating that a half hour training session with Ole turned him into that player?

Put it this way. If Bruno had of went to Spurs Ole would of been out of a job some time ago.
Not sure why you bump this post now? This was posted in a pre-liverpool-game era my friend. :lol: But still, I stick with the fact that it usually takes players time to adapt to this league, you need to do everything you can to ensure they hit the ground running and we play to their strengths, we played with Bruno as the focus of our attack, the manager did his bit to integrate him well, the player has said as much as well.

It's ok to admit he's done certain things well in his time here ya know. Spending all day shooting down old posts that give the manager any shred of credit for his rebuild job etc is a tad silly to be honest because whoever inherits this team have a great group to work with regardless of some of the nonsense threads suggesting otherwise.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Not sure why you bump this post now? This was posted in a pre-liverpool-game era my friend. :lol: But still, I stick with the fact that it usually takes players time to adapt to this league, you need to do everything you can to ensure they hit the ground running and we play to their strengths, we played with Bruno as the focus of our attack, the manager did his bit to integrate him well, the player has said as much as well.

It's ok to admit he's done certain things well in his time here ya know. Spending all day shooting down old posts that give the manager any shred of credit for his rebuild job etc is a tad silly to be honest because whoever inherits this team have a great group to work with regardless of some of the nonsense threads suggesting otherwise.
Fair enough. Pre Liverpool seems like a life time ago.

I just don't think Bruno is a good example. It is possible to come straight into a team and play well which is exactly what Bruno did. There was nothing extraordinary done by Ole or the coaching staff for Bruno to rack up the numbers so I really don't think giving credit in this case is that warranted.

If you had of said Rashford or Martial in the 2019/20 season then I'd totally agree with you but you didnt so I don't. For me Ole is now burning a lot of the bridges he's built up so maybe you're right. It is getting harder and harder to give Ole credit for the job he's done which is why personally I think he has to go now before all that good will is gone.

RUCK4444

Fair enough. Pre Liverpool seems like a life time ago.

I just don't think Bruno is a good example. It is possible to come straight into a team and play well which is exactly what Bruno did. There was nothing extraordinary done by Ole or the coaching staff for Bruno to rack up the numbers so I really don't think giving credit in this case is that warranted.

If you had of said Rashford or Martial in the 2019/20 season then I'd totally agree with you but you didnt so I don't. For me Ole is now burning a lot of the bridges he's built up so maybe you're right. It is getting harder and harder to give Ole credit for the job he's done which is why personally I think he has to go now before all that good will is gone.
Yeah to be honest I randomly selected Bruno during the convo I was having, purely because some players who are doing great elsewhere come in and don't quite hit the ground running, Bruno has a brilliant attitude though so it's that as much as anything.

On the bolded I agree. It will get to a point where none of the good he's done will be appreciated if he's not careful. No managers sack themselves though, I suppose.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
VDB is painfully average even if technically better than McFred both of whom are also not good enough.
If he's so painfully average then why did Ole brought him in? For the record he's not half as bad as you're making him to be.

OrcaFat

If he's so painfully average then why did Ole brought him in? For the record he's not half as bad as you're making him to be.
He’s not terrible, he’s average.

Of all the sticks people are beating Ole with, the non-selection of VDB is the most bizarre of all in my opinion. But it does look like poor judgment to have bought him, which may well be Ole’s fault for all I know.

I don’t rate Donny but I will happily eat my words if Ole’s successor gets him to play well.

fastwalker

This is interesting. You cannot deny the empirical data. However, the other key measures are 'base' and what I describe as 'capacity to improve'.

In terms of the base I think Ole has under-performed by failing to get the best out of average players and not being able to turn good players into great players, By contrast, Klopp has over-performed, by turning average players into good players and good players into outstanding players. The likes of Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Firmino and Robertson have emerged as world class and were nothing like that before they arrived. Salah, Van Dijk (voted by their peers) and Henderson (voted by football writers) have all gone on to become player of the year under Klopp. Aside from Bruno, I am struggling to see who Ole has elevated to world class level. Not Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Van De Beek, Fred, Lingard nor Martial. Even Pogba who is an undoubted world class player and Rashford, who has world class capability, Ole has singularly failed to get consistent world class performances out of them.

So that leaves 'capacity to improve'. Well that is where there is a no contest. Klopp arrived in the Premier League with a proven reputation from a major European League. Ole has not. Klopp has demonstrated almost from day one that he has a specific philosophy and playing style 'gegenpressing'. This took time to embed and is likely to have contributed to teething issues early on (injuries and losses). I still do not know what Ole's playing philosophy is and I suspect, neither does he.