Ole interview with Rob Dawson Espn

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...e-signingsgoals-for-premier-league-seasonmore

I'll pick out some things i found interesting

Is there a chance [Jadon] Sancho and [Raphael] Varane could play against Leeds United?

OGS: They still haven't trained with us, and I need to see how they are. I can't see them being available for Everton [this weekend], but hopefully they will be ready to be on the bench [against Leeds].

You've said you couldn't have asked for more backing from the club this summer. Does that then increase the pressure on you?

OGS:
There's always pressure here to win the league and to win trophies. For me, it's the pressure I put on myself and the pressure the players put on themselves to achieve the best you can. That the board also wanted to extend my contract is proof we're going in the right direction, but we have to keep on moving in the right direction.

You still feel that pressure that if you don't start well next season, there could be questions about your future?

OGS:
You feel under pressure all the time. At this club, with this responsibility, it's not just clinging onto your job; it's about the responsibility that's in my hands. We've got millions of fans, the players, the club, the staff... and the responsibility is on getting results. As long as you get results and improve, that's what I felt that we've improved all the time. As long as you can see improvement.

We've gone from third to second [in the Premier League] and a lot closer in points; we've gone from three semifinals to a final and one kick away from winning, so it's about taking the next step now. That's the challenge.

With the new arrivals, is this squad now strong enough to win the Premier League?

OGS:
I'd rather be an optimist and be wrong than be a pessimist and be right. Of course these boys can, with a maximum effort, maximum season and maximum sacrifice. Every day is a chance to get closer to our target, and that's to come together as a team to give yourself a chance to win every game. But every day is also a chance to step backwards, so it's down to us as a coaching staff, but also the players, to keep improving.

Will we see any outgoings before the deadline? Jesse Lingard, Andreas Pereira and Diogo Dalot are all part of the squad here in Scotland after going out on loan last season...

OGS:
We need a big squad. The start is important, the whole season is important, but you need to arrive in April and May fresh and with enough options. Some might go on loan until Christmas, some might go for a season, but I don't want to be too light in any position.

There seems to be an assumption one of the goalkeepers will leave because you already had David De Gea and Dean Henderson, and you've also brought in Tom Heaton this summer.

OGS:
It depends on the characters you've got and how they gel. It's healthy competition. If you're too comfortable, I don't think you get the best out of yourself. You need an edge, and you need an edge of "if I don't perform, someone else is going to take my place," but it has to be healthy for the team and healthy for the group. If it's toxic and it's energy-sapping, that's not great.

Last year, it was a new situation for David and a new situation for Dean. This year, let's see how it works out.

Gary Neville said last season that as a defender, he always preferred to know who the first-choice goalkeeper was...

OGS:
I enjoyed having one first-choice right-back when I played, but I never had one!

It would have been easy for you to say last summer "just get me a right winger." You also refused to "panic-buy" a striker when Romelu Lukaku left in 2019.

OGS:
That's been communication and dialogue, and a plan. We know that this is what we need, and it might take a little bit longer, which means there's no point signing someone for the sake of signing someone. Yeah, we brought Odion [Ighalo] in on loan to give Anthony [Martial] a bit of a rest in certain games in that season, but it was important that we did because then Mason [Greenwood] kept developing. You know what you've got and if I suddenly signed someone who blocked the path of a young kid then we've lost a striker or forward in two or three years to come.

I manage for the club. I don't manage for me or the players, I manage for the club, and that's the whole job, to do the best for the club and not for me. That will never be me.

And finally, what are your expectations for this season?

OGS:
That we get to April and May challenging. Challenging in the league, challenging in the cups we're in and hopefully then there's another cup, there's been a final. We've lost in the semis as well, so of course we want to challenge for trophies. That's the aim.

Overall a positive interview i think. He says all the right thing so i do still think he needs to be a bit more decisivie with certain sales/decisions (gk for eg) Would love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and for us to win the league or cl this year.

Woodzy

Gary Neville said last season that as a defender, he always preferred to know who the first-choice goalkeeper was...

OGS:
I enjoyed having one first-choice right-back when I played, but I never had one!

:lol:

red_de_pologne

GK situation is a mess, however it is portrayed. 500k/pw for two goalkeepers is bonkers.

Some experienced goalkeepers have said they always prefer to have a clear situation who's the number one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole always says the right things, and that's because he genuinely does understand the situation and the way to take us forward.

He might not be the best tactician in the league, but he's got the right mentality and personality for it. No doubt we will have bumps along the road but he's the best manager we've had since Fergie, no doubt about that.

I'm really happy the club has backed him and got him the 2 players he really wanted.

GK situation is a mess, however it is portrayed. 500k/pw for two goalkeepers is bonkers.

Some experienced goalkeepers have said they always prefer to have a clear situation who's the number one.
Let's be honest I'm sure he wants to move DDG on also, but we can't. We just have to live with the situation and he's making the best of it IMO

SirAnderson

Not sure how people can't understand the need for competition. Clearly none of them demonstrated they are clearly number 1, as Ole alludes to the fact that it was both new for them and then goes on to say let's see how this see how it works out.
For me I love the situation De Gea has been too comfortable, same thing happened with Shaw and when competition came, he's solidify his place as first choice. I fully believe that will happen this season with Dean and De Gea. What club can say they have 2 great keepers. Sure, the one that ends up being back up may feel they need to move on, and that can be then dealt with then, but I see what Ole is trying to do and I think he will get it right.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Buuuuuurn.
Loved the interview.
I didn't really get that. Neville was mr consistent at right back for us for a long time. Plus obviously a defender wanting one keeper is completely different to a striker and a right back even if ole played right mid for a season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I didn't really get that. Neville was mr consistent at right back for us for a long time. Plus obviously a defender wanting one keeper is completely different to a striker and a right back even if ole played right mid for a season.
It was a joke to avoid the question. Looks like it worked.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

OGS:

:lol:
I like Ole but this is just dodging a difficult question and he does this a lot.

SirAnderson

I like Ole but this is just dodging a difficult question and he does this a lot.
I feel he already answered it in the previous question and wanted to move on, hence the joke.
Its clear he expects for one of them to establish themselves as the No1 this season. What that means for the other player, time will tell.

red_de_pologne

Not sure how people can't understand the need for competition. Clearly none of them demonstrated they are clearly number 1, as Ole alludes to the fact that it was both new for them and then goes on to say let's see how this see how it works out.
For me I love the situation De Gea has been too comfortable, same thing happened with Shaw and when competition came, he's solidify his place as first choice. I fully believe that will happen this season with Dean and De Gea. What club can say they have 2 great keepers. Sure, the one that ends up being back up may feel they need to move on, and that can be then dealt with then, but I see what Ole is trying to do and I think he will get it right.
Do some research, GK is a different situation than any other position entirely, there's a reason most big clubs now and historically have/had one clear no1 choice.

Not to mention we're paying either 350k/week or 150k/week to a substitute player who rarely plays.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I still worry he doesn’t really believe he can win the big trophies. You need to believe you can or it’ll never happen.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I know it was meant as a joke just a bit weird seeing as Neville was literally our right back for a decade plus.
It would have been better if it was Neville who directed at OGS, I will give you that. Guess it was all about avoiding the question really, and that all sense went out the window.

flappyjay

I manage for the club. I don't manage for me or the players, I manage for the club, and that's the whole job, to do the best for the club and not for me. That will never be me
This is my favorite thing about him. If he left the club the next manager would find a good squad waiting for him.

SirAnderson

Do some research, GK is a different situation than any other position entirely, there's a reason most big clubs now and historically have/had one clear no1 choice.

Not to mention we're paying either 350k/week or 150k/week to a substitute player who rarely plays.
Uhm I don't have to do research? I am literally saying what Ole is saying.

It is clear based on Ole's words, that that is his intention for this season.
I know what you want, and what your thoughts are on a GK position and all that...and what Ole and what I said Ole said, isn't going against that. It's to establish that.

"It depends on the characters you've got and how they gel. It's healthy competition. If you're too comfortable, I don't think you get the best out of yourself. You need an edge, and you need an edge of "if I don't perform, someone else is going to take my place," but it has to be healthy for the team and healthy for the group. If it's toxic and it's energy-sapping, that's not great.

Last year, it was a new situation for David and a new situation for Dean. This year, let's see how it works out."

The bold bit in the end is not my words, but Ole's. He is literally using this season to determine who that No1 will be, as clearly neither of them grab that spot last season, as Ole says it was new for both of them, but again, expects to see how it works out.
I know not having a clear No1 isn't good, but again that's Ole intends on determining this season.
Hope that clears it up.

SirAnderson

And then the fact that 1 is on 350k and the other 150k. Yeah, that's accountings problem, nothing Ole or any fan can do about it, so not sure why we even need to bring it up. 1 of them will hopefully come out as the clear No1 and the other will be the backup. If that's De Gea, I expect he would want to move on, we still need a decent back up though.

Kajus

Well, what is he supposed to do? Be honest and straightforward?

”Yeah, I want to feck off Dave as soon as possible, but no one will take him with those wages so I’ll just have to rotate them to avoid sulking and a toxic dressing room”.

Yeah, sounds good for the morale.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well, what is he supposed to do? Be honest and straightforward?

”Yeah, I want to feck off Dave as soon as possible, but no one will take him with those wages so I’ll just have to rotate them to avoid sulking and a toxic dressing room”.

Yeah, sounds good for the morale.
He could say “I agree and we want that to be the case eventually. Both players have the opportunity and I want one of them to grab it and force themselves to be first choice”

Something along those lines. It’s obviously a difficult situation but the amount of times he makes a joke when people want an actual answer.

SirAnderson

He could say “I agree and we want that to be the case eventually. Both players have the opportunity and I want one of them to grab it and force themselves to be first choice”

Something along those lines. It’s obviously a difficult situation but the amount of times he makes a joke when people want an actual answer.
He literally says that in the previous answer. I think the Dawson just wanted to push him to say more and Ole thought he gave him enough so didn't bother repeating himself and gave a joke to move it along.

But the guy you responded to interestingly assumes he wants to get rid of De Gea. Ole doesn't seem like the agenda or mind games person. He literally wants the GK position to be competed for and hopes for the best man to win, whether it's De Gea or Henderson.
In terms of longevity of that position, I would like it to be Henderson because his younger, but if De Gea comes back to us world class form, then it is what it is.

red_de_pologne

Uhm I don't have to do research? I am literally saying what Ole is saying.

It is clear based on Ole's words, that that is his intention for this season.
I know what you want, and what your thoughts are on a GK position and all that...and what Ole and what I said Ole said, isn't going against that. It's to establish that.

"It depends on the characters you've got and how they gel. It's healthy competition. If you're too comfortable, I don't think you get the best out of yourself. You need an edge, and you need an edge of "if I don't perform, someone else is going to take my place," but it has to be healthy for the team and healthy for the group. If it's toxic and it's energy-sapping, that's not great.

Last year, it was a new situation for David and a new situation for Dean. This year, let's see how it works out."

The bold bit in the end is not my words, but Ole's. He is literally using this season to determine who that No1 will be, as clearly neither of them grab that spot last season, as Ole says it was new for both of them, but again, expects to see how it works out.
I know not having a clear No1 isn't good, but again that's Ole intends on determining this season.
Hope that clears it up.
Let's see how it works out..

I'm not blaming Ole for the situation, but I think he's just talking good game, I don't believe it was his intention to keep both DDG and Hendo, considering their position, ambition, wages.

If I'm wrong and that was his plan for the GK situation then I think it's a bad idea and we won't benefit from that. Just my opinion.

Kag

The joke was fine and he answered the question perfectly reasonably prior. What an odd little whinge.

Kag

Ole deals with press phenomenally well. The implied vaccine hesitancy is a little off, mind you.

AgentSmith

Ole always gives excellent interviews from the perspective of the club and the players. Any difficult questions are answered deftly and in a way that shut downs the negativity implicit in them. The Neville joke is the perfect example of that.

When you contrast that to the continuous shit show Mourinho would produce in interviews we should be thankful to have someone so level-headed and positive in charge of them instead.

The goalkeeper situation is a mess though and I’m sure, privately, Ole would acknowledge that fact but it’s a complex decision that is restricted by factors (insane wages) outside of his control. The fact that Henderson is also suffering from the lingering effects of Covid is just another spanner in the works.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

OGS:
Hehe.

SirAnderson

Let's see how it works out..

I'm not blaming Ole for the situation, but I think he's just talking good game, I don't believe it was his intention to keep both DDG and Hendo, considering their position, ambition, wages.

If I'm wrong and that was his plan for the GK situation then I think it's a bad idea and we won't benefit from that. Just my opinion.
I don't think so either, I think if there was a clear No1 based on last seasons performances, he would have communicated that to both of them, and the other could decide what they wanted to do with their future.
I don't think either of them did enough to make their claim for No1 so Ole had no choice but to let it drag into this season, and again, my opinion, based is man management style, I fully believe they are aware of this and know how it will be going into this season.

But I agree with your earlier argument of the GK position. It's hard to drop a GK on 1 "bad" performance, even though there were clear performance last year from De Gea that warranted dropping.
Henderson, I don't know, feels like the early inconsistent days of De Gea before he became world class. I do hope he is the one that comes out as our clear no1 and is able to do so consistently for years to come.

romufc

I know there are alot of fans who want him gone and I can somewhat understand that but when they accuse him of not knowing what to do or P.E teacher still is a bit of a joke really.

His first season came in and said its a 3 year plan, some players wont be here if he is going to be successful. He has done that, got rid and built a squad.

People say he is not a good tactician, he plays with McFred too defensive but with the signing of Varane, it's him showing that he knows that Lindelof was not good enough but he backed him last season because the others couldn't stay fit.

We conceded goals of set plays, he got a set piece coach in.

It is fair to say, he knows what the team needs.

I also saw a quote him saying he played Bruno too much last season but he had to because he was so important.

So Ole has shown that he understands where he needs improving, he did actually want a CB and RW last season. I hope we have a good season, he deserves it.

MileStolar

Well you had time to read that and evaluate and come up with the best answer, He answers questions in the spot and to be fair the question wasn't even a question but rather a statement of what Gary Neville used to prefer back when he was a player.

I'm no OGS defender but give the man a break, his dealing with the media is the last thing to be concerned about when it comes to his abilities.

Widow

Did people expect Ole to come out and say 'we need to move one of the GKs out, they're on too much money to sit on the bench'?

I mean, I can't believe he didn't come out and throw one of them under a bus. It surely wouldn't risk moral if a transfer didn't materialise. Come on folks, signing Heaton a very capable number two, pointed towards Ole wanting DDG/Hendo off the books but you rarely hear a manager telling you they want rid of a player.

Oles answer was non committal both ways.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I know there are alot of fans who want him gone and I can somewhat understand that but when they accuse him of not knowing what to do or P.E teacher still is a bit of a joke really.

His first season came in and said its a 3 year plan, some players wont be here if he is going to be successful. He has done that, got rid and built a squad.

People say he is not a good tactician, he plays with McFred too defensive but with the signing of Varane, it's him showing that he knows that Lindelof was not good enough but he backed him last season because the others couldn't stay fit.

We conceded goals of set plays, he got a set piece coach in.

It is fair to say, he knows what the team needs.

I also saw a quote him saying he played Bruno too much last season but he had to because he was so important.

So Ole has shown that he understands where he needs improving, he did actually want a CB and RW last season. I hope we have a good season, he deserves it.
He seems to have a very good vision for the team and club. But the average caftard saw those holes and issues, it is another thing to be able to put the team together to now actually go and challenge for, and win the biggest trophies with a good brand of football.

Many hold to the opinion that this should have been done more even during those 3 years. Some of the stuff we played the last 6 months was just very poor, even other than the results, it shouldnt take 3 years to have a clear and attacking brand of football for example.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
It’s very difficult to understand Ole’s thought process regarding keeping, selling or loaning out some of our players.

kps88

Have you had conversations with the squad about getting vaccinated, or has it been left as a personal choice for them?

OGS: Yeah, we've informed them and some of them are already fully vaccinated, some are not sure. But we're going to have a bigger session with them now because I think it's important that everyone knows what it's about.
FFS. Everyone should have been told they need to get vaccinated ages ago.

AshRK

Frustrating how Grealish is available for the community shield this weekend but sancho not yet available.

romufc

He seems to have a very good vision for the team and club. But the average caftard saw those holes and issues, it is another thing to be able to put the team together to now actually go and challenge for, and win the biggest trophies with a good brand of football.

Many hold to the opinion that this should have been done more even during those 3 years. Some of the stuff we played the last 6 months was just very poor, even other than the results, it shouldnt take 3 years to have a clear and attacking brand of football for example.
Yeah, I agree with those points. Ofcourse he could have done more, we are a club built on trophies and that should always be the goal.

I can see the type of football he wants to play but last season was difficult, we were very disjointed as a team even though we got results. You do not win leagues with those performances, those sort of results can win you cups but not the league.

I do like the fact that none of the rivals take us seriously under Ole considering we have made 2 very very good signings. two top level elite players have come in.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Ole sounds like a politician and is very good with the press. Underneath the surface though i see a very weak management. The pre season is a mess. Selling players like Lingard, Pereira and James seems impossible. Keeping both De Gea and Henderson for a second year ? Why sign Heaton and renew Grants contract then ? What a joke.

We need a new holding midtfielder. There are several good candidates for around 40 mill available. If we need to sell first raising 40 mill is easy by selling Lingard, Pereira and James or just sell Henderson alone. We will also raise 5 million each by loaning out Dalot and Tuanzebe.

Herman Toothrot

"I manage for the club. I don't manage for me or the players, I manage for the club, and that's the whole job, to do the best for the club and not for me. That will never be me"

This is absolutely key. It's why, whether Solskjær ultimately delivers or not, he won't be leaving the club requiring a complete overhaul like it did when he arrived. From the change in the youth team, to the structure behind the scenes and long-term approach to transfers, there's a blueprint being drawn here which United should follow for the foreseeable future.

It might frustrate some, there is often a lot of noise online from the bed-wetters, but that lack of patience and vision isn't, from my experience, shared by the fans I know in real life. He doesn't have a Coca-Cola or UEFA Cup to his name yet, but to deny the progress and direction under Solskjær would be churlish.

I expect more bumps in the road, but I like Manchester United now more than I have since Sir Alex left and I'm genuinely optimistic for the future.

Reactions: Sultan

romufc

Ole sounds like a politician and is very good with the press. Underneath the surface though i see a very weak management. The pre season is a mess. Selling players like Lingard, Pereira and James seems impossible. Keeping both De Gea and Henderson for a second year ? Why sign Heaton and renew Grants contract then ? What a joke.

We need a new holding midtfielder. There are several good candidates for around 40 mill available. If we need to sell first raising 40 mill is easy by selling Lingard, Pereira and James or just sell Henderson alone. We will also raise 5 million each by loaning out Dalot and Tuanzebe.
Are you in touch with reality?

Very weak management? He managed Pogba really well, he managed Greenwood really well last year, he managed Maguire really well, he's managed Fred, Shaw and even Cavani really well. Where is weak management there?

We live in a covid era, how can you blame Ole for that?

Its obvious they see Henderson as the long term option, because the club gave DDG a big contract, they can't get rid so what do you do?

Its also obvious the club want to sell Dalot, Perreira but the right offers are not coming in... what club is paying £5m loan fee? The club want that but clubs are not prepared to pay those.