Ole/McT is the new Jose/Fellaini

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really doesn’t offer anything but physicality & hard work yet seems to be a big favourite of the manager. At least Fellaini could be a good target man, Scott can’t even do that.

A lot of fans are starting to backlash against this now. Scott still has it far easier than Fellaini since he’s a local lad from the academy & a lot of fans have unconscious bias to white british players but online particularly with fans that aren’t local to Manchester people are starting to ask questions.

Just what does he offer us? He’s a central midfielder who can’t pass or tackle, he’s not a big goal threat, he gives away silly fouls. I just can’t wrap my head around this. Yes people questioned Fergie with Fletcher, but he had 20 years of experience managing the club & had won is bucket loads of trophies, he was also playing in a team full of leaders so his technical limitations were well hidden, so don’t try to kill the argument with a false equivalency.

regarding the “unconscious bias” comment, yes, that’s absolutely true. I live in Manchester, I’ve gone to games, I’ve watched plenty in the pubs. Players like Scott & James escape any criticism while Pogba, Martial, Fred, Lingard take genuinely sickening abuse. Particularly with older fans this is just a fact I’m sorry if it hurts your feelings.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just like fletcher, people can’t see what McTominay brings to the squad. You lost me at “can’t tackle”

its generally not the McTominays and the Fred’s that are letting the side down. It’s the Pogba’s and co who are supposed to be the creative fulcrum

Denis79

Really doesn’t offer anything but physicality & hard work yet seems to be a big favourite of the manager. At least Fellaini could be a good target man, Scott can’t even do that.

A lot of fans are starting to backlash against this now. Scott still has it far easier than Fellaini since he’s a local lad from the academy & a lot of fans have unconscious bias to white british players, but online particularly with fans that aren’t local to Manchester people are starting to ask questions.

Just what does he offer us? He’s a central midfielder who can’t pass or tackle, he’s not a big goal threat, he gives away silly fouls. I just can’t wrap my head around this. Yes people questioned Fergie with Fletcher, but he had 20 years of experience managing the club & had won is bucket loads of trophies, he was also playing in a team full of leaders so his technical limitations were well hidden, so don’t try to kill the argument with a false equivalency.
Work-rate, think that's the reason he's being played so much. When you have offensive players who only 'activate' when they have the ball you need hard working players negate that lack of work-rate.

Nickelodeon

It's actually Pogba who's closest to Fellaini right now. Giving away stupid freekicks and penalties regularly like he has no sense of what an opponent is trying to do.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I think Mctominay and Rashford are his darlings. Most coaches have this I think
I agree but at least Rashford is a flair player with the ability to bang one in from 40 yards after doing nothing for 89 minutes. With McTominay he’s either decent, below average, or shit. He doesn’t offer that potential moment of magic to persist with him through a shit performance like Rashford or Bruno or Pogba for example.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There definitely is an unconscious bias with academy players. They get a bit more patience in most cases, but I also don't see that as a bad thing. That said, I think McT has earned some of that patience as well, he's had quite a few very good performances, but it's been a little while since his last one. He was poor yesterday and should have come off, but he's still a good player and a good option.

He looked lost in the diamond, as if his natural instinct was to sit next to Fred rather than operate in that right midfield space. He looked more comfortable when the shape switched in the 2nd half, but he probably still should have come off as it just wasn't his day.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Just like fletcher, people can’t see what McTominay brings to the squad. You lost me at “can’t tackle”

its generally not the McTominays and the Fred’s that are letting the side down. It’s the Pogba’s and co who are supposed to be the creative fulcrum
He can’t tackle well though. He gives away needless fouls all the time. If he attempts 10 tackles & wins the ball cleanly twice that’s not a good tackler. When going for the ball he is far more likely to foul or get skinned than he is to win it. I feel like everyone is blinded by the passion with this guy.

Idxomer

It was hilarious yesterday seeing him try to "tackle" Saka.

Judas

Open to offers
The comparisons to Fletcher are so lazy to me. Fletcher technically, while massively under appreciated in his early days was so much better in every department.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Well said geebs. McTominay is developing into an excellent young player. A match where our attacking players were woeful isn’t the game to criticise him. We also had Fred, Pogba and Bruno in there who all could have done much better.

Deery

Dreary
Fred was totally right to go off, he was shocking. But VDB should have replaced Scott. When we were chasing the game he offered nothing whatsoever.
I think that pass at the end summed him up really needed to keep possession and create a chance and he tried a through ball from about 40 yards away. Even the commentary was bemused by it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He can’t tackle well though. He gives away needless fouls all the time. If he attempts 10 tackles & wins the ball cleanly twice that’s not a good tackler. When going for the ball he is far more likely to foul or get skinned than he is to win it. I feel like everyone is blinded by the passion with this guy.
Yeah but when the player wins 70% of the tackles, that means he is a good tackler.

spiriticon

A lot of posters seem to be allergic to hard work and physicality on this forum...

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think Pogba was our worst midfielder yesterday, I don't like the 2 of Mctom & Fred, I'd like Matic at the base against top opposition but Mctominay isn't playing great, can say the same thing about lots of players of late but he does have potential, I don't think he's a deep lying player, reminds me of Gibson a bit with better passing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

The comparisons to Fletcher are so lazy to me. Fletcher technically, while massively under appreciated in his early days was so much better in every department.
I agree, people got on Fletcher because he wasn’t as good as Scholes & Keane & was Scottish so it was easy to say “Fergie’s playing favourites” but yes even at a young age he was much more technically sound that Scott.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

A lot of posters seem to be allergic to hard work and physicality on this forum...
A lot of posters seem to favour hard work and physicality over flair and quality on the ball.

I thought it was supposed to be the beautiful game? Donny can do more with a marble than Scott can with with a football yet he’s sat on the bench while Scott stinks the pitch up game after game.

Fred works hard, Bruno works hard. Hell, Donny works hard, & he is actually good at passing to players wearing red...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Comparisons between Fletcher and McTomminay are somewhat lazy. Fletcher was twice the player McTomminay is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I made this comparison yesterday. I think there are definite similarities between Fellaini and Mctominay. Both are decent options but technically mediocre.

amolbhatia50k

He’s still young but Fletcher used to get dogs abuse too at his age.
As did Carrick. It doesn't make all these players equals. Fletcher was a far better and more complete footballer. He had good technical qualities to match the effort and grafting aspects. Mctominay doesn't. He's useful and can make an impact in certain games. But we need to see him for what he is. At one point the caf compared him to Keane FFS.

GBBQ

He's young and still learning his trade. We've seen plenty of high points from him and he acquitted himself particularly well in Paris not so long ago.

He's clearly not a right sided player in a diamond and he wasn't helped in that AWB is also not an attacking fullback but surely that's on Ole for the team selection and formation. There's many to blame before I'd be pointing fingers at mcTominay for yesterday's result.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

He's young and still learning his trade. We've seen plenty of high points from him and he acquitted himself particularly well in Paris not so long ago.

He's clearly not a right sided player in a diamond and he wasn't helped in that AWB is also not an attacking fullback but surely that's on Ole for the team selection and formation. There's many to blame before I'd be pointing fingers at mcTominay for yesterday's result.
He’s 24, the same age Beckham was in 1999. Was he “young & learning” too?
Nonsense of a post, McTominay has played well in the CL games. The entire team were shite yesterday and as many people pointed out, Fred should have played in his position.
What is he good at? Other than “running around”

cyberman

Nonsense.. He actually has value. Scott gets the blame for every ill frpm bad performances, he was the least of our problems yesterday

Deery

Dreary
As did Carrick. It doesn't make all these players equals. Fletcher was a far better and more complete footballer. He had good technical qualities to match the effort and grafting aspects. Mctominay doesn't. He's useful and can make an impact in certain games. But we need to see him for what he is. At one point the caf compared him to Keane FFS.
I think he’ll get better tbh, but his passing has been very suspect recently and didn’t offer much on the ball. I like his tackling sometimes but he needs a few big games to get his confidence up.

Chabon

He’s still young but Fletcher used to get dogs abuse too at his age.
It didn’t help they played almost exclusively on the right wing, often in place of Ronaldo, for his first few years. Fletcher was never as bad as the moaners said, but he certainly wasn’t a winger..

I’m not at all sure if McTominay can ever reach the level of the Darren Fletcher who in his mid-20s was first choice for a United team which won multiple titles and reached multiple European cup finals (and but for his illness would surely have become United captain), but he is very much the all-time top argument in favour of having patience with academy players.

Idxomer

You can count on one hand the good games he had in the last 12 months but somehow you'll always see him in those lists of players improved under Ole.

Deery

Dreary
Scott is not a youngster he’s 24 next month. Fletcher was Scott’s age in 2008. He was getting calls shit in around 2005.
If he had been introduced into the squad earlier we would be seeing a different player now, he’s still learning and I can see him getting better.

amolbhatia50k

I think he’ll get better tbh, but his passing has been very suspect recently and didn’t offer much on the ball. I like his tackling sometimes but he needs a few big games to get his confidence up.
He'll get his confidence up and I'm sure will contribute in the future to good United peformances. But his passing has always been poor for a midfielder. And I don't think expecting him to suddenly become good on the ball is going to help. That's the important thing with Mctominay - are we going to consider him a starter who can be a great player or should we understand that he limited and try and make him the best version of the player he can be? (And for him to constantly prove he's good enough) For me, putting limited players on padestal just hurts the team and nobody else. Like Periera was never worthy of being in our squad, Mctominay is at best a squad option and not a genuinely quality player in the making. Maybe he'll surprise me with a development spurt but based on what I've seen, I don't think he will.

Deery

Dreary
It didn’t help they played almost exclusively on the right wing, often in place of Ronaldo, for his first few years. Fletcher was never as bad as the moaners said, but he certainly wasn’t a winger..

I’m not at all sure if McTominay can ever reach the level of the Darren Fletcher who in his mid-20s was first choice for a United team which won multiple titles and reached multiple European cup finals (and but for his illness would surely have become United captain), but he is very much the all-time top argument in favour of having patience with academy players.
Yeah, Fletcher was a really good player will be a big ask for Scott to reach those heights I don’t disagree with you.