Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
I'm sure there is a list but what if the names on that list are already employed elsewhere? This sort of sh*t can't happen in an instant.

Jose needed removing immediately due to the toxic environment he was creating. Ole is a safe pair of hands till a replacement is found. A smooth transition is better if possible.
In any sizeable business, succession plans are updated whenever the circumstances of the potential successors change (so on a daily basis if that were required). The plan covers all senior management, not just the coaching staff, and is a discussion topic in every monthly management meeting.
Most clubs maintain an ongoing discussion with the agents of potential replacements, as they need to be kept informed of changing circumstances. Whenever the likelihood of a change increases the level of discussion increases and it would be unusual for less than 3 potential replacements to be involved in those off-line discussions.
That’s why you generally find that a club has been talking to the replacement manager for many months before triggering the change, quite often at the same time as telling the media that they have complete confidence in the guy they’re replacing.

I wouldn’t move Ole on at this juncture either. I think he can get you 4th at least, maybe even win a pot.

Rolaholic

Supposedly Fergie wants him to have another chance too. Also a middle-finger?

That said, I feel like this time Ole’s goose is cooked. I seriously doubt he’ll get through the next month. Fergie was prone to holding on to certain players too long, might be something akin to that.
He's looking out for his mate, doesn't mean he's right the same way that Gary Neville being loud and bemoaning everyone under the sun but the manager doesn't mean he's completely right either.

Sentiment is a big part of why we're in this mess so of course we return back to sentiment in times of crisis :lol: :rolleyes:

A 5-0 home defeat to our blood rivals would've been enough for me in a vacuum, add in the context of gaining 1 point out of 12 and 5 defeats in the last 9 games and it's completely unacceptable and untenabl at a club like this.

Other clubs have sacked bigger club legends for less but United seem to believe they're somehow better than that in spite of being the least successful of those clubs over the past decade.

It's mind numbing really

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Look at it this way, whatever way it goes, there's going to be an end to this mood/mess soon.

We get a rocket up the ass and we start actually playing well and everyone is happy and we climb the table.

Or

We lose a few more matches and Ole inevitably gets the sack.

It can't and won't go on like this until the end of the season. So either way there'll be an ending in some form or another before December I suspect.
Who's going to give the rocket up the arse? You think the players are going to listen to Oles bs when it's more than obvious that he's the problem. He's lost the players. There's no way back from this and the only way we are going to start playing well is if the players totally disregard Oles instructions and go rogue. If that's the case there's still no point in keeping Ole.

It's an absolute disgrace and the only thing thats keeping me going is thinking that Ole is already gone, it's just a question of when.

Real Name

Only for you youngsters :smirk:

Casting doubt on his judgement regarding alleged managerial preferences is hardly “turning on” him. I thought he was daft to get rid of Peter Davenport in 1988*; does that make me not a Proper Fan?

* a decision he came to regret, if you can believe his autobiography
Dont remember that story from his book. Can you remind me please?

Didnt mention anything about being or not being a proper fan.

Anyone can cast a doubt on his judgement but it was on Woodward to make a decision and it is now too. Saying he's responsible for everything whats happening now or half of it even is turning on him though.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You're pre-supposing that same spirit and attitude is still in them after the biggest humiliation some of them have ever experienced in their entire professional careers. That I can say that solemnly should tell you how bad things are right now and what you're suggesting could compound that further and lead to a point break where the season is a complete write off, and a new manager is having to pick up the pieces back to even a neutral marker from a severe negative, just to get things underway.

It's a calamity, and keeping the man responsible for it in charge for further potential humiliation(s) makes no sense on any level given if the worst comes to the worst, it's not even a case of told you so's over gross, gross negligence and incompetence.

New men in charge for an interim brings a modicum of new hope and belief, and at the very least, acts as a reset and clean slate from the doldrums of yet another repeat of a well-worn script that has reaped hardly and dividends for the season up to now.

To your bolded - Ole is the man in charge who ultimately makes the decisions that everyone else has to abide by; you're assuming those men you mention follow the same ideas and notions when in fact they may have their own vision and idea of what they want to do with the team, tactics, formations, personnel, in-game actions and so on and so forth. We also have no idea if they are as rigid and inflexible as Ole and persistent in trying the same things, repeatedly, in the face of them failing conclusively.

Normally, there is merit to the other side of such a discussion, and if desired, I could argue it from your POV or from the POV of it being beneficial for nothing to change, but I am certain any point in favour of Ole staying on I could absolute tear to shreds such is the disparity in what he is giving as opposed to what is needed. We're under-performing by such margins it is indefensible by now. We are not good at anything, anything at all, to even clutch onto and have as a hill to die on for, or in favour of, Ole.

Like I said previously, really examining what's gone on is dragging him over hot coals for no good reason by now. I'd like to point to there being benefit to him staying, even in the interim, but there aren't any - the players have lost faith in him, and our football has not a single redeeming factor to it. Not one. Do you know how rare that is? The worst kind of bingo full house you can get in football.
Precisely what I think, but worded 200 times better.

padzilla

Hipster
Well for one it was before the game and as such got the game called off. If you can't tell the difference between protesting the ownership of the club and the manager then I don't really know where you've been for the last 15+ years.

And what makes you think people singing songs basically so we didn't have to listen to the away end means they think Ole is the right man for the job long term? I don't know anyone I go with or stand near that thinks he'll be here much longer?
Hey I suspect you're right about a great many of these things - sorry for being a whingeing twat - Sunday's result has me all over the place mentally and ranting like a gobshite.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck off, we are so incompetent. Thought I will get the news of Conte taking over

Chip

It feels like Conte is inevitable, and will inevitably be deemed as yet another mistake in two years time. Except he'll have dismantled the otherwise exciting young team with bags of potential in the process.
What exciting young team?

Revan

Assumptionman
It feels like Conte is inevitable, and will inevitably be deemed as yet another mistake in two years time. Except he'll have dismantled the otherwise exciting young team with bags of potential in the process.
Where is that youth team? Greenwood and Sancho are the only players who are not yet at their respective peaks.

saivet

If reports are to be believe, it seems like they already decided to sack him, but want to take more time assessing the options, which is baffling that until now, the board haven’t discussed a successor to Ole, given that the writing has been on the wall for a long time now.. I also feel bad for Ole, at the end of the day, this is his level, and it’s all on the board, now he’s a sitting duck just waiting for the sack, and has to be super embarrassing for him with all the leaks and stories about him.. what a shit show.
This is the crazy thing but also not a surprise.

Lentwood

Jose was 363 million that doesn't include the 25m Ibra contract. This illusion Jose wasn't backed is a lie. Also you have to remember the Market for Gaal isn't the market we have today. Inflation in football year on year has been insane. We have backed every single manager.
Plus @Revan , Ole sold Lukaku to fund Maguire. Jose had a net spend of £285m (+ two MASSIVE contracts for Ibrahimovic and Sanchez on free transfers), Ole has a net spend of £323m, so the difference is negligible really. Especially because I *think* (could be wrong) that Ole has overseen one more window?

RUCK4444

And the incoming guy of the same mind too.

So we’re now hoping for Joel Glazer to see sense and save the club from the lunacy of the two bean counters…
Well they’ve spent a lot of money last window, the one thing these Glazer leaches respond to is money, maybe the form has been enough to p*ss them off.

We will have to wait and see, either way I hope there’s a planned approach to this.

padzilla

Hipster
Plus @Revan , Ole sold Lukaku to fund Maguire. Jose had a net spend of £285m (+ two MASSIVE contracts for Ibrahimovic and Sanchez on free transfers), Ole has a net spend of £323m, so the difference is negligible really. Especially because I *think* (could be wrong) that Ole has overseen one more window?
What a great bit of business - feck me!

Chip

I wonder if we'll see an actual mutiny against Ole and his staff in the next few games. Almost looked that way on Sunday.

Revan

Assumptionman
It is one window more if you consider the first one when he was a caretaker, and we did not buy anyone. So 50m net spend more in around the same amount of time they were here. Significantly higher salary bill. It also needs to be said that the squad he took was better than the one Mourinho took, to some degree because Mourinho and LvG were backed heavily.

Look, my point is not that Mourinho and LvG were not backed. They were. Just that Ole - who does not have their CV in the first place - was backed even more, and was afforded even more time. Somehow, we gave the largest backing to the worst manager. Which is typical United, to be fair (see Jones staying longer than Evans and Smalling).

yipthatman

Ole reached his level over a year ago. Its ridiculous to think of the managers that have moved clubs that we could have possibly attracted in that time. Very amateur

RUCK4444

Don’t mate. This is word for word what I’ve been fearing.

I just couldn’t go through the whole rebuild process again.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
You're pre-supposing that same spirit and attitude is still in them after the biggest humiliation some of them have ever experienced in their entire professional careers. That I can say that solemnly should tell you how bad things are right now and what you're suggesting could compound that further and lead to a point break where the season is a complete write off, and a new manager is having to pick up the pieces back to even a neutral marker from a severe negative, just to get things underway.

It's a calamity, and keeping the man responsible for it in charge for further potential humiliation(s) makes no sense on any level given if the worst comes to the worst, it's not even a case of told you so's over gross, gross negligence and incompetence.

New men in charge for an interim brings a modicum of new hope and belief, and at the very least, acts as a reset and clean slate from the doldrums of yet another repeat of a well-worn script that has reaped hardly and dividends for the season up to now.

To your bolded - Ole is the man in charge who ultimately makes the decisions that everyone else has to abide by; you're assuming those men you mention follow the same ideas and notions when in fact they may have their own vision and idea of what they want to do with the team, tactics, formations, personnel, in-game actions and so on and so forth. We also have no idea if they are as rigid and inflexible as Ole and persistent in trying the same things, repeatedly, in the face of them failing conclusively.

Normally, there is merit to the other side of such a discussion, and if desired, I could argue it from your POV or from the POV of it being beneficial for nothing to change, but I am certain any point in favour of Ole staying on I could absolute tear to shreds such is the disparity in what he is giving as opposed to what is needed. We're under-performing by such margins it is indefensible by now. We are not good at anything, anything at all, to even clutch onto and have as a hill to die on for, or in favour of, Ole.

Like I said previously, really examining what's gone on is dragging him over hot coals for no good reason by now. I'd like to point to there being benefit to him staying, even in the interim, but there aren't any - the players have lost faith in him, and our football has not a single redeeming factor to it. Not one. Do you know how rare that is? The worst kind of bingo full house you can get in football.
Top post, this. @Fortitude

King_Cantona07

It’s like telling my postman is a nice person but he can’t read the address anymore. Let players invite the nice guy as best man for wedding. He is not doing his job and that demands him to be removed.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Only for you youngsters :smirk:

Casting doubt on his judgement regarding alleged managerial preferences is hardly “turning on” him. I thought he was daft to get rid of Peter Davenport in 1988*; does that make me not a Proper Fan?

* a decision he came to regret, if you can believe his autobiography
I just said it was a shame that people were turning or at least in my opinion, seemingly turning on SAF. That didn't mean I questioned yours or anyone else's status as a 'proper fan'

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You know what will happen.

We will beat Tottenham, then lost to Atlanta and get thumped by City.

Zen86

What exciting young team?
Where is that youth team? Greenwood and Sancho are the only players who are not yet at their respective peaks.
A decent attack-minded coach could work wonders with Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford. Fair enough you wouldn't count the rest of the first XI as young anymore. I highly doubt Conte would have much of a plan for them.

El Zoido

It is one window more if you consider the first one when he was a caretaker, and we did not buy anyone. So 50m net spend more in around the same amount of time they were here. Significantly higher salary bill. It also needs to be said that the squad he took was better than the one Mourinho took, to some degree because Mourinho and LvG were backed heavily.

Look, my point is not that Mourinho and LvG were not backed. They were. Just that Ole - who does not have their CV in the first place - was backed even more, and was afforded even more time. Somehow, we gave the largest backing to the worst manager. Which is typical United, to be fair (see Jones staying longer than Evans and Smalling).
I definitely think Ole has done a better job with it. His hit rate is high, he just doesn’t know how to manage them at this level. God knows what Jose would have done if given free reign. A better manager will get a really high level of performance out of this squad. In fact, the main reason Ole has done this well, is that the players have dragged the results through.

pseudo_canadian

Woke up this morning fully expecting an announcement from the club that he’ll be sacked. What a compete joke this club is.

Maybe they’re trying to buy time to negotiate/work out the details for Conte to come in? That’s the ONLY reason this would be excusable, but even that is not acceptable given that the players have clearly lost faith in him.

The club have put Ole and the players in a weird, difficult position by not sacking him before Spurs. Saturday will be interesting.

Foxbatt

I want him to be changed but it may be better to keep him for now if Eric Ten Hag is willing to come end of the season.
Or appoint interim manager. Rafa was at Chelsea as Interim Manager. I am sure Big Sam will take it as Interim Manager. It can't be any worse than this. At least we will be much better in defense and our set pieces.

largelyworried

What a shambles. I get that you don't expect to lose a manager 9 games into the season, but it really seems like they haven't so much as discussed a succession plan. How can the Board be split on other managers? Have they really not discussed & resolved this before now? A manager failing is not some unforeseeable event. Remarkable.

Flexdegea

He's not Mourinho, but I also don't think he's that far removed from Mourinho either. Either way, he represents yet another turn in direction for the club, and that's largely been our problem since Fergie retired.

I agree with what you are saying.

I see folks are bigging him up now as a attacking manager.......pointing to goals scored in some seasons. They obv stats you can't deny, but reminds me of before Jose came to when he was here, same arguments from his Madrid days and Chelsea first stint. same people trying to tell us he attacking, when the reality was he wasn't while he was mostly here.

I'm just not sure Conte the right fit at all. Rather they bring someone in that's suits than just be desperate and go against what they've been planning long term at the moment.

Idxomer

You know what will happen.

We will beat Tottenham, then lost to Atlanta and get thumped by City.
Draw with Spurs, beat Atalanta because the players wants no part again in the EL, and lose to City.

Zen86

Don’t mate. This is word for word what I’ve been fearing.

I just couldn’t go through the whole rebuild process again.
Me neither. I actually like the squad we have right now as well, despite a couple of glaring holes. It's a squad capable of winning things.

I felt very different during the LVG and Mourinho days.

Status
Not open for further replies.