Ole's at the wheel... but god help us if we forget Mike Phelan

Ranchero

Don't you just love this buzz.
Even before the miracle of Paris, while the Liverpool home game was always going to have Old Trafford alight, it was against Southampton last week - a bog standard Prem home game - that I noticed the euphoria that is about the place.

After the game, there was impromptu singing of Ole's at the wheel while leaving the Stretford End, out in the concourses and streets, a complete contrast to the frequent bursts of aggressive, expletive strewn moaning about Jose Mourinho and "this is sh*t football" that I had become used to. A Jose, who is, by the way still uttering poison (on a Bein Sports chat) about the club basically being more interested in their commercial interests than the on-field interests.

But in the golden aura that is surrounding us all, amidst all the songs worshipping the godlike Norwegian legend, that I am more than a willing party to as my hoarse throat will testify, we must NOT forget, like we did when employing Moyes, the people who are not sung about.

And one key figure here is Mike Phelan. Make no mistake about it, as much as we must sign Ole up - and surely the fact he is the main man in the season ticket promotions means he will be our next manager - we must also remember that this has been a team effort. And Ole will be the first to admit it, and has.

Anyone who has been at Old Trafford at all, will probably have noticed that it is Phelan that often stands in the technical area, directing tactics during matches and instructing the team. He is that backroom staff link to those glorious Fergie days and, for me, a massively underestimated key component of what has made us work.

Mike may not have the fame of Solskjaer, but is far more experienced with superior qualifications, and reconnects the management team of the Fergie era with the present, having served as reserve and first-team coach and assistant manager from 2008-2013, earning promotion when Carlos Queiroz left.

Ole and Mike are different but complimentary characters. As much as we need Ole good cop, we need that pragmatic, challenging flip side provided by Phelan. The two of them with the coaching staff are crucial combination that has us playing the United way again and it is imperative that we keep the whole set up, not just Ole, together.

I remember saying on the official site that I thought we had made a massive mistake in getting the backroom staff, including Phelan, when Fergie retired. Moyes or not, we had a setup, a way of doing things that was thrown out for a new way.

When he assumed command in that summer of 2013, Moyes removed Rene Meulensteen, Phelan and Eric Steele from the coaching staff and brought in Steve Round, Jimmy Lumsden and Chris Woods, as well as appointing Ryan Giggs and Phil Neville. Moyes was advised not to fire Phelan, who won a Premier League medal as a United player. He didn't listen.

If Moyes had been astute, he would have gone in with no ego, and worked with the staff that were there taking a 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' mentality. But he didn't and paid the price.

Ever since we have been trying to get back that ethos, that golden glow that makes ordinary players (like Darren Fletcher and Wes Brown) become Champions League winners. They were players who played beyond their capabilities because of that winning mentality aura around Fergie. If you don't agree, ask yourself, were they ever as good when the left Old Trafford. The answer, I'm telling you, is definitely not.

We are seeing that aura return under a new regime. Last night was magical. I felt the same way as when Ole scored that winner against Bayern 20 years ago. Everything went right for us, because we have the right mentality, that 'who dares wins' complex that I feared had been lost.

Let's not forget, like we did when Fergie retired, that we have to do everything to keep ALL the backroom team together.

Last edited:

Heardy

@Ranchero Great post mate and I totally agree. One of Ole’s qualities is that he will recognise the likes of Phelan! See the MOTM photo he had with the staff - he knows the importance of those around him!!

mufc1445

You can see the Fergie/Gill influence also. Someone made an astute decision to pick Ole as the FACE loved by everyone including the media, Phelan Carrick McKenna Dempsey and Alvarez backroom staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

Think we need to add in Carrick and McKenna as well as Emilio, you watch them all together and it really is a team, a proper coaching unit and they all seem to be sharing ideas and taking the work load. Seeing them all celebrate goals together like they just scored them themselves is something, absolutely love that coaching unit and I hope it stays together as in contrast to what we’ve had over the last few years this lot look like they absolutely love it there.

They all seem to be doing brilliantly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think we now have a great bunch of coaches, with a manager who allows them to have input and he listens to their points of view and advice. Take note Moyes and Jose.

crossy1686

career ending
Been saying it for a while now but we absolutely have to keep this collection of staff together for as long as possible. This is what we've been missing for the last 6 years. No more of this popular manager and all his own staff bollocks, it doesn't work.

MUM

You search the world for what you think will help you, only to find that he's been with you all the time.

Mick's the daddy.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Oh, oh, what a Phelan
And his shorts will leave you reeling.

crossy1686

career ending
What does he even do?
There are two aspects of management. The jobs/tactics and the mental side. Apparently Phelan is great at getting in people's head's, making them feel good about themselves and confident in their own ability. The guy is a snake charmer, knows exactly what to say and when to say it. Also offers excellent insight because he's close to the players and they trust him.

Ranchero

Think we need to add in Carrick and McKenna as well as Emilio, you watch them all together and it really is a team, a proper coaching unit and they all seem to be sharing ideas and taking the work load. Seeing them all celebrate goals together like they just scored them themselves is something, absolutely love that coaching unit and I hope it stays together as in contrast to what we’ve had over the last few years this lot look like they absolutely love it there.

They all seem to be doing brilliantly.
I agree. There is a buzz about that whole group. I always like to watch the training warm ups before the game, just to get a sense of the vibe that is going down. Against Southampton if you saw Lukaku's shooting practice, he was on fire. He was pinging balls into the corners and that swag that he used to have was back.

And in the game, that was all replicated... just as we saw before the game started. Lukaku doesn't lack ego... look at what happened at Everton, but he is back... oh yes, HE IS BACK. And it is testament to the management of him. I never thought I would see a man so down and desperate. It has only taken a few goals to have him up and running again and in the kind of form that had him competing with Harry Kane for top goalscorer in the Prem. Now the task is to fit him and Rash together week in and week out. It'll happen.

Ranchero

You search the world for what you think will help you, only to find that he's been with you all the time.

Mick's the daddy.
It's only taken six years to work it out. But at least we appear to have worked it out. The question over whether Ole is manager, wasn't a question before before PSG. There is no way fans will accept Ole leaving for Poch. No chance. Absolutely no chance.

DavelinaJolie

Every game I've seen he's been there on the sideline in Ole's ear, I'm sure offering tactical advice.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You're wrong if you think people forget about Phelan so easily.
He's one of them people you just can't forget, esp because of his shorts.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His twitter is very good.

Btw Ole always speaks about him very highly, he worked for SAF for so many years that says it all about his quality.

Ranchero

Every game I've seen he's been there on the sideline in Ole's ear, I'm sure offering tactical advice.
What I love is that they all feel part of it. Often you see coaches and assistants keeping their mouths shut. Often not daring to, it seems, bowing to a nonsensical hierarchy. But there is a free flow of info all the time with that team. Ultimately Ole is the man at the wheel who then filters out the stuff he doesn't need or doesn't agree with and keeps the stuff he likes. This is not management by committee, it is management that listens.
I remember working for a place where everyone from management to staff were united. There was a feeling that the company was our baby and that was a great trick (if it was one) that managers pulled that just allows you to perform at your best, to even do extra stuff you wouldn't normally do. That's what we have right now.

OldSchoolManc

Hear hear!
Phelan is a massive part of our form, he helps make Ole feel comfortable.
We need to keep ALL the coaching staff together as is.
It’s working wonders!

Wilt

Worlds greatest balloon dispatcher, sign him up.

Shark

@NotShark
I think it's proven by now that United are a very unique club and needs a unique combination of individuals to make it tick. Sometimes it's not all about the CV, but what works. United create their own legends and always have.

Woodward rather he's gotten lucky or not has finally gotten it right and is now realizing what this club is all about.

GBBQ

He needs a song! Bringing Phelan back into the fold was a master stroke by Ole
Was it Ole's decision? To me it seems like a recommendation from SAF, a player who knows the club with Phelan who knows how to run the team.

el3mel

He's a magnificent coach. Should have never left when Moyes came.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I don't think Mike Phelan is on Twitter.

I think it's a fake account.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Was it Ole's decision? To me it seems like a recommendation from SAF, a player who knows the club with Phelan who knows how to run the team.
It was Ole's decision. He said it few times that first thing he did after he got the call from Woodward was to contact Phelan. He couldn't connect with him, so he called up SAF and then contacted Phelan via SAF (SAF messaged Phelan that he should answer Ole's call, something like that).

Milo2035

The 4 of them discuss the whole match and celebrate goals by hugging each other. I'd say we have the most united coaching staff in football world.