Ole's four summer signings

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
In Simon Stone's BBC article covering the Sancho deal, he writes,
"United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has identified four key positions he wants to improve as they look to build on their progress last season.

After steering his side to second in the Premier League and the Europa League final, the Norwegian is looking to strengthen the right side of his midfield, then the central defensive, midfield and attacking areas.

Sancho fills the first of those."
We've seen in the past that positions are touted as a smokescreen to complete deals for other players in other positions, but taking this statement at face value, who do you think we will bring in?

I'll go first: Ramos, Kristoffer Olsson and Malen.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Wonder what they mean exactly by "attacking areas".

Is that for instance the reason behind the Trippier pursuit?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That quote doesn't really make sense, right side of midfield? Do you mean right wing Simon? Attacking area's? Well right wing is an attacking area or do you mean CF Simon?

We won't sign 4 first XI players, I'd even still tread cautiously as to whether we'll even get 1 more in

Chairman Steve

Based on media reports, it seems the club wants Sancho, Varane, Camavinga and Trippier as their first choices.

My hunch is Utd were taken aback by Atleticos high valuation of Trippier and have put that at the back of the line, while the other 3 get prioritised. Maybe Trippier will be taken on following the sales of current players like Lingard.

I would rank that currently hypothetical dream summer window as up there with 2007 when we got Hargreaves, Tevez, Nani and Anderson.

Pressure would be on OGS then though to deliver good football and importantly results. Any excuses about not being backed in the market and being new to the job wouldn’t wash after that.

Flying_Heckfish

Surely the targets are becoming clear now?

RW, CM, CB, RB

I guess it will depend on outgoings too, but Varane and Trippier look very solid links to follow Sancho. We've seen with the Sancho deal we will negotiate stubbornly though so might take a while.

The Camavinga links are hotting up. We were after Bellingham last year so there's reason to belive we are still looking for a young CM.

Withnail

That quote doesn't really make sense, right side of midfield? Do you mean right wing Simon? Attacking area's? Well right wing is an attacking area or do you mean CF Simon?

We won't sign 4 first XI players, I'd even still tread cautiously as to whether we'll even get 1 more in
Yeah it's doesn't make much sense.

The attacking areas bit is the last one in the list and would be the lowest priority so I'd say it'd be more of a case of getting any kind of an attacker in depending on who's available and who we sell.

If we got a CB and a midfielder I'd be delighted and I'd also be sceptical we get those two done.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In: Sancho (73m), Camavinga (50m), Varane (40m)

Out: Pogba (50m), Lingard (25m), Martial (35m), Dalot (8m)

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred Camavinga
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Cavani

Sub: Greenwood, Diallo, James, Mctominay, Lindelof, Telles, Henderson
Do not want to sell Pogba to be honest, as I really believe he is our most talented player, and by far the best when he is in peak form. 2nd half of last season and Euro proved that he is the best. But I don't believe we could fit him with Bruno, unless we bought Kante type of player to cover his ass, which we won't. Also, don't think he wants to extend his contract this summer, we just can't risk letting him go for free again next summer. If he is not signing within next few weeks, just sell him. Maybe a swap deal with Varane?

Another thing is, Greenwood can't play lone striker role yet, he isn't good enough for that role, can't hold up play on his own and his movement isn't as good as Cavani. His best position is wing forward who cuts in and shoots. But his time as future no.9 will come, maybe we will play him as sub first and give him more time to develop into no.9 role.

Camavinga is a good tackler, decent dribbler and not a bad passer, he has talent and would be an upgrade to Mctominay in that role. While Sancho will replace Pogba creative/playmaking role, Camavinga would be an upgrade in defensive role.

Last edited:

kidbob

As others have said I think Varane and Camavinga are the obvious targets with RB being a if we can get one position. Hopefully Laird can stay fit and make the back up RB position his own. Regardless of what people think of Ole as a coach if we pull of those signings then at the very least he'll be the first coach who will leave his sucessor in a very good position. I just hope that Pogba isn't one of the ones to leave. And I'd rather Martial to stay if possible but expect him to go. At the end of the day we need a really good squad to compete with what City have and there is plenty of deadwood to get rid of before considering Pogba and Martial as outs, although perhaps we need the funds from at least one of them.

Edit: I'd love for us to try for Mahle in the RB role. He looks sensational for Denmark, albeit as a LB but he is right footed. Maybe Atalanta couldn't demand the smae type as fee as Atletico.