Ole's Press Conference | 05:30 BST

Reddy Rederson

No, it means you lost your cool and lost all credibility/respect/whatever. Other people being annoying/failing to change something or do something doesnt mean that shouting at them/shitting on everything is the right thing to do (or is in any way productive). Just creates a toxic atmosphere with no benefit. Like all the people who shit on players on their social media accounts... literally serves no purpose.
Yes, it does serve a purpose. It gets the frustration out. We arent robots, we have feelings and emotions and we express them. Being "cool" isnt a measurement of credibility. Its something that some wum made up to annoy a person with a good argument.

haram

Thing is - I doubt Ole visits Redcafe, and if he did, I doubt he'd be bothered by the minority of fans who *question* his appointment...!

Match going fans have given him nothing but support so there's no way he can feel slighted himself by the fanbase - ludicrous to suggest so.
I also sung the Ole chant just as loud as everyone else at Old Trafford but if people want to be sensitive to me asking genuine questions, then that’s on them.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I also sung the Ole chant just as loud as everyone else at Old Trafford but if people want to be sensitive to me asking genuine questions, then that’s on them.
He isn't talking about a few fans on a footy forum mate, cmon.

He's talking about the very loud, very current, trending on social media shouting that is happening right now.

haram

He isn't talking about a few fans on a footy forum mate, cmon.

He's talking about the very loud, very current, trending on social media shouting that is happening right now.
Which is most of the fanbase.

KristianMackle

Yes, we should start a petition for Ed to step down and discuss it behind closed doors in annual meetings. This is how changes come to the fore.

Without those fans that voice discontent at how the club is ran, why should the management change anything? We can continue in the same mold for the next 10-20 years. They are filling their pockets and as Ed said the club is maintaining the profitable commercial level.

The club is ran through the commercial side. Sponsors come here because of that huge moaning fan base. Signing players comes from whose who go to games, so naturally they will have some expectations. I don't defend those abusing Pogba but they are a minority IMO(or at least I hope so).
You can only hurt owners by not spending your money. Protests change absolutely nothing. This club is a money making machine and Ed is the perfect person for them to keep money coming in. Boycott will be more effective. Not "shouting" per se.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Good presser. Ole seems to know how to draw the line between what should be said publicly and privately. Wish our fans could make the distinction too. This was all mostly a message to other clubs and to the agents, simply setting up a negotiating position. As it stands there are no bids for our players, thus putting paid to all media and agent games, and saying stop talking and start bidding. And trying his best to talk up the price of Pogba and Lukaku rather than damage their potential sale value. Just because he publicly says that doesn't mean privately he doesn't want rid or would be happy to let them go. But when there are no bids received, he also has to prepare for the possibility that this squad might all stay, and then it's his job to get the most out of them and boost their morale. Applying the whip at the end of the season to try and spur them on is only good at that time, and even then as a last resort, but its stupid to use it in pre-season when you are trying to build up team spirit and morale. But by upping Greenwood and emphasising each forward getting 10 goals and asking for them to get 20 he is implicitly challenging all of them to up their game or lose out to Greenwood.

He can't be ruthless by waving a magic wand to produce buyers out of nowhere. To sell a player you need a buyer, and that buyer needs enough money to be able to make a satisfactory bid. That's where we are stuck, as the transfer market is itself stuck with many clubs also waiting on other clubs to buy their players first (i.e. Inter Milan and Real Madrid and Barcelona and Juventus). Its because of this that transfers mostly take place at the end of the window, but also why having the UK window different to the European one is a massive stupid own goal. All Ole can do is try to jivvy opposing clubs to make actual bids and stop trying to just use the media to test the water, while upping the value of the players he wants to sell yet being stern about not overpaying for players we want to buy. As such, it was a great press conference.

Agree with all the points. Our squad is not as bad as people make it out. I admit, the quality of the squad talent wise is not adequate for challenging City, Liverpool and may be Tottenham. However, it is good enough to win a race against Chelsea and Arsenal. Given their situation this window, we should aim higher than both, and try to challenge Spurs for the 3rd place. Transfers are one of the two instruments to improve the squad's ceiling. Another is youth development.

A problem that OGS should solve this season is reaching the ceiling of the current squad's ability. It's the matter of motivation, preseason preparation, and coaching. In my view, nothing suggests that Ole is failing on these issues. More to it, I like the signals we get from Solskjaer. As for his tactical soundness, I am more than confident. He was tactically astute both against small and big teams, when he had time to prepare players for specific opposition. Once the schedule became more intensive and senior players became jaded, the panic mode crippled in. Remember, that cowardliness was trained into the players during both LvG and Mourinho. Their style of coaching was based on authoritarian and limited "philosophy" denying players any decision making on the pitch. That's why our team looked disjointed when things gone not according to the plan. The game against Spurs is a good illustration. OGS was spot on with tactics in first half, but Poch made changes and United could't change the game. OGS didn't have a luxury of plan B or C because flexibility has to be trained.

P.S. Fonts messed up. What is the standard size and font?

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
You can only hurt owners by not spending your money. Protests change absolutely nothing. This club is a money making machine and Ed is the perfect person for them to keep money coming in. Boycott will be more effective. Not "shouting" per se.
You can't start a movement without 'shouting'. One man boycotting will do nothing. In order to become effective what are you going to do without 'shouting'? Go door to door?

Reddy Rederson

I never said wrong. But when you're shouting, the fact is, you will not be heard. And you'll look silly.
No, you dont look silly. You look angry. You look frustrated. Going into a conversation like that wont help, but the conversation driving a person to that is a different thing. Being "cool" is over rated. At a restaurant, if you found a fly in your soup would you be calm? Would you still be calm if your replacement soup had a fly in it also? Anger is part of our wide range of emotions, and I think its pretty harsh to have a go at people that have been frustrated for seven years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good presser from him and it was surely difficult to deflect all the Pogba questions. Not sure I agree with his point about the loud fans not being the best though. That won't sit too well with the fan base if it was any other manager saying it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes, it does serve a purpose. It gets the frustration out. We arent robots, we have feelings and emotions and we express them. Being "cool" isnt a measurement of credibility. Its something that some wum made up to annoy a person with a good argument.
Really not the case. Pretty much anywhere you go, if you start shouting, your credibility starts going down and people start losing respect. Might help you get frustration out, and it is hard to "stay cool", but it's never productive to lose your cool.

Giggsyking

What the feck kind of leap is this? How in earth did you get to this conclusion :lol:. He's very clearly talking about the general group of fans that every club has who complain about every little thing all the time. Which every manager has at some point, in some way, referred to that group as "that small group who complains loudest but complain about anything" essentially. Actually can't believe I have to explain this.
How are you sure that those fans are the smallest portion. Take a look at the club's main social media accounts. Just scroll down the comments, they are the majority. If there is any simple statistical method to measure with, it is social media. I am not saying they are right. I am saying he as a manager who is his only leverage at the moment is the fans love for him. Instead of attacking them, he should dodge that question. It is not difficult. He is not stupid to dodge a simple question like that.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
but for those who want us to improve and want change for the better - then I'm sorry I can't get behind calling out those fans, as this is simply ridiculous.
In my opinion those people aren't moaning though. They're providing constructive criticism which is very different to flat out daily complaints, which I'd hope the majority find tedious.

Johan07

Good presser. Ole seems to know how to draw the line between what should be said publicly and privately. Wish our fans could make the distinction too. This was all mostly a message to other clubs and to the agents, simply setting up a negotiating position. As it stands there are no bids for our players, thus putting paid to all media and agent games, and saying stop talking and start bidding. And trying his best to talk up the price of Pogba and Lukaku rather than damage their potential sale value. Just because he publicly says that doesn't mean privately he doesn't want rid or would be happy to let them go. But when there are no bids received, he also has to prepare for the possibility that this squad might all stay, and then it's his job to get the most out of them and boost their morale. Applying the whip at the end of the season to try and spur them on is only good at that time, and even then as a last resort, but its stupid to use it in pre-season when you are trying to build up team spirit and morale. But by upping Greenwood and emphasising each forward getting 10 goals and asking for them to get 20 he is implicitly challenging all of them to up their game or lose out to Greenwood.

He can't be ruthless by waving a magic wand to produce buyers out of nowhere. To sell a player you need a buyer, and that buyer needs enough money to be able to make a satisfactory bid. That's where we are stuck, as the transfer market is itself stuck with many clubs also waiting on other clubs to buy their players first (i.e. Inter Milan and Real Madrid and Barcelona and Juventus). Its because of this that transfers mostly take place at the end of the window, but also why having the UK window different to the European one is a massive stupid own goal. All Ole can do is try to jivvy opposing clubs to make actual bids and stop trying to just use the media to test the water, while upping the value of the players he wants to sell yet being stern about not overpaying for players we want to buy. As such, it was a great press conference.
Yeah, good post.
If I could have wished for something more it would be him drawing a line at when we would not consider offers for our star players like Lukaku and Pogba anymore.
Since the PL-window closes that much earlier than the other leagues nowadays, we shouldnt consider selling any player that we would need to replace before the closing of the PL-window - which is 8th August me thinks - without the transfer being done at least 10-14 days before that date. And thats not so far away.
Otherwise he handled the situation very well. Neither Pogba and Lukaku has any leverage to force an exit anyways. Treat them with respect.

Reddy Rederson

Really not the case. Pretty much anywhere you go, if you start shouting, your credibility starts going down and people start losing respect. Might help you get frustration out, and it is hard to "stay cool", but it's never productive to lose your cool.
Yes, thats why we have equal rights for women and people of colour now right? All those calm and quiet people who whispered their outrage. :rolleyes:

ottosec

Mate, he is full of shit... These are his recent quotes. Probably woke up today with split personality or something.
How the feck does that even contradict what I said?

If I don't approve of people haunting players on social media and booing them in games does not mean that I am an idiot who thinks we have a top squad.

KristianMackle

You can't start a movement without 'shouting'. One man boycotting will do nothing. In order to become effective what are you going to do without 'shouting'? Go door to door?
Ok tell me this, how long have the fans been protesting the Glazers? What has it changed? Why will it change now if you continue doing same thing?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If he means to disrespect the fan base, the largest portion of the fan base, then he will not be here for a long time, being an as* kisser to Ed and the Glazers will not save his job if he fail and talk shit like this.
Do you feel as he is talking directly to you when he says "the loudest fans"? Because the loudest fans only complain.

Do you expect the manager to applaud your complaints?

KristianMackle

Yes, thats why we have equal rights for women and people of colour now right? All those calm and quiet people who whispered their outrage. :rolleyes:
Yes because we can compare hundreds of years of subjugation and oppression to being a supporter of a football club.

bosnian_red

How are you sure that those fans are the smallest portion. Take a look at the club's main social media accounts. Just scroll down the comments, they are the majority. If there is any simple statistical method to measure with, it is social media. I am not saying they are right. I am saying he as a manager who is his only leverage at the moment is the fans love for him. Instead of attacking them, he should dodge that question. It is not difficult. He is not stupid to dodge a simple question like that.
It's pretty common knowledge that the comments sections on team posts, player posts, media/instagram/YouTube comments is basically the cesspool of humanity that literally nothing should ever be taken from.

buckooo1978

watched the Presser and Ole dealt with things well......

most interesting point was addressing issur of shifting dead wood

pretty obvious that he was inviting teams to bid for some of our players - stated a number of times we've had no bids yet

in a window where Morata and Mings are moving for the fees they did I think we need to be patient but it is essential we get some ins and outs

We've been absolute mugs in the Transfer market since Fergie left- overpaying for players, under-selling our own and giving stupid wages.....

I think we have to have a line we don't cross and if it means we dont get shot of all the players we want right away then so be it - theres certainly some that need to go and we might need to bite the bullet

teams interested in the likes of Darmian/Rojo etc can wait to the 11th hour before making final offers

haram

It isn't really mate - the fanbase is multiple millions of fans.

There's prob 50,000 fans that are actually vested in the #Glazersout stuff - which are obviously the 'loud ones'.
Most of the fanbase want the glazers out.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Seen a lot of people saying Ole isn't Ruthless enough, and I guess its because Young and Jones were given new contracts rather than be sold, but I think when one looks at the overall picture, he is being ruthless.

Rojo and Darmian are transfer listed, which is all Ole can do, it's up to Woodward and Judge to find buyers and not price them out of the market. Valencia, club Captain, was released. However bad Jones and Young are, Rojo and Darmian do need to be sold before them. Young and Smalling are also being demoted to squad players, with AWB and Maguire replacing them. Changing half a back line in one window is already a lot of change. When looking at the overall churn and how difficult it is to get quality defenders, this is a good and ruthless upgrade already of the defence.

Fellaini was immediately sold, Herrera was offered a paycut ie. demoted, Pogba is most likely being allowed to leave and for all the public comments of Ole I do wonder what might have been said behind closed doors to make Pogba want to leave, but regardless, seems we will entertain genuine offers. Yes, perhaps we could have not renewed Mata, but with 3 out already it is hard to have enough midfielders in the squad as it is, and Mata has been an exemplary professional compared to our other midfielders. There has been frequent reports that we would let Matic go too, indicating he might be transfer listed and potentially demoted. We might be seeing Bruno, James, Savic, Longstaff coming in meaning our entire midfield 3 would have been axed, Savic Longstaff Bruno instead of Pogba Matic Herrera. Can't be more ruthless than that. Whether this will prove to be better, and whether we manage to get the replacements over the line remains to be seen and again depends on Woodward and Judge.

Lukaku was dropped immediately and told to get fit, and is being sold, which is very ruthless. James has been bought I suspect to push Martial to try harder or actually replace him. I think we will see James oust Martial this year. If we buy Ben Yedder too we could conceivably see Rashford out of the team. I think the right wing will go to Greenwood and Chong more than Lingard and Mata.

So we have Darmian, Rojo, Valencia, Fellaini, Herrera, Pogba, Matic?, Lukaku, 8 players out or transfer listed. Plus a number of demotions or increased competition for places. Considering Ole hasn't even been here a year I think that is as ruthless as he can realistically be. Whether Woodward will be as ruthless in successfully selling remains to be seen.
You make a lot of good points and I’m in agreement with most of it but my concerns regarding Ole is that he’s a inexperienced communicator. And I think it’s fair to believe that some of his comments will haunt him when our results doesn’t match expectations.

I will give you a few examples.

In his first month as a caretaker his positive approach to the challenge in front of him was just fresh air compared to Mourinho. Supporters and media liked him as a person and at that time he didn’t have any expectations on his shoulders. Just smiling and saying good thing was enough.

When he started to win and got his job as a permanent manager the supporters raised their expectations and suddenly he was accountable for the results and what he said. So when he started to lose games the positivity wasn’t enough. Supporters and media started to want answers to how he should turn this around. At that time his inexperience started to become visible. His body language changed, gone was the initial positivity and suddenly he started to question his players and his squad.

His words about changes raised expectations about a clear out, new players and something new. We all remember last summer with no new CB and a manager who was let down by Woodward and the owners. With Ole in charge many of us expect something better this window, and rightly so after our managers comments at the end of last season.

In his first interview with MUTV before our pre season tour his tune was different. The positivity was back and no future problems whatsoever. A few hours later Pogba come out that he wanted to leave and suddenly Ole Gunnar’s positive words sounded false.

In his first presser on our pre season tour he started with talking about Pogba and his words didn’t rime with the reality. Without reasons he starts to talk about internal fights between players. But his worst blunder was to criticize his fans. Why? What good can come out of this?

I’m afraid that this comment about laud supporters will haunt badly him the second the results go south.

Ole is a good guy. I like him as a person and ex player but as a communicator he has a lot to learn. That’s what I’m concerned about. He lacks authority and his charm don’t help him when the press starts to turn the heat up. Sir Alex owned his pressers with his authority, charm and strict body language. A black eye from Fergie and the journalists was shrinking in front of him. So those of you who don’t thing body language counts should learn from the best.

I hope Ole rethink his words and starts with a apology to his supporters. He lives and falls with us. Secondly he must be more careful with his words. Better to say less then to be out of control. In today’s presser he was all over the place.

Finally. We all want him and the club to succeed. Nothing else.

Jeffthered

So our fans are at fault for our struggles post Fergie?

They are at fault for playing tumescent stuff, for employing wrong managers, for investing in wrong players, for not having a proper structure or clear style on the pitch?

The vocal ones are obviously the ones that stand in the way - those who like to have a DoF and not Woodward to puppeteer every footballing matters, regardless of him not having a clue about the sport, only the business side.

Those who are vocal against the owners and how the club is ran into mediocrity.

It's obvious that some people want to lower the standards and turn those fans into puppets and yes men, just like our entire footballing staff is at the moment - from top to bottom.

Of course for Glazers and Ed everything will be rosy as they reap the profit from all those fans that create the inconvenience with their high expectations.
I haven't watched the Press Conference ok, so apologies for any repitition etc. But I would agree with the above statement. And I would add to that, Ole (and any manager really..) needs to be v v v v careful when calling out fans... because that is setting out a very, very fragile foundation to build a managerial career upon.

Ole DOES have something to prove, and he needs to stop focusing on fans. Not so long ago he was saying 'some players will not be at this club, and need a reality check'.

So it's players. Then fans.

I hope he knows what he is doing.

bosnian_red

Ffs :lol: not about being quiet or whispering. It's about being reasonable. But whatever. Shout if you want, just hope you know it's not a great look.

sawduck

Supports
celtic
I love Ole but i can't see him still being our manager by the end of this season. Unless we can bring in some quality players within the next few weeks we will struggle to make the top 6 this year and i feel it might be a loooooong wait until we win the league again, its painful to say and i hope i am wrong

Eriku

I'm with you. It's disappointing and disturbing to hear that. As fans, especially matchgoers, have backed every player and manager to an almost unreasonable level compared with what we see at other clubs. What are we loud about now? The club making the right on field decisions to get us to the top. To back the Glazers and throw fans under the bus there, I'm really shocked and wary of what this season holds. Did not expect that from Ole..
Why would you assume that this is what he meant, though? We’re talking about the only active player who sided with MUST when the Glazers were buying us.

haram

But they aren't 'shouting about it'.

If the majority of Man Utd's fanbase was participating in #Glazersout - it'd be front page news, and they'd either leave or begin investing very heavily to save reputation.

Neither of which they want to do.
There are no games for them to chant about it.

bosnian_red

Was asking what he meant by loudest fans in a time where most of the fanbase is “loud”, but ok.
Just listened to the presser. He was asked about fan disillusionment and what he can say to make them more positive. He responded by saying he hasn't had that feeling really that everyone is disillusioned, the small but loudest ones who complain always aren't usually the "best" fans and are always there, but most of his exposure that hes seen has been very positive.

In summary - standard media responses to be more positive.

bosnian_red

There are no games for them to chant about it.
Well it's been 6 full seasons of shite since Fergie retired and there hasn't been shite about it at Old Trafford. So you really can't say it's the loudest at all.

patty123

If the reported news was true (that Everton and Wolves wanted him and made bids for him) then we should paid small percentage of his wages to offload him.
Why should we if those are the clubs looking to buy, given the vast amounts of money at both clubs, just to leave them with extra money to spend elsewhere.We are not a charity pal.

He'sRaldo

Guys this is just a press conference. Managers rarely state their true intentions on these things.

We should all know this by now, dunno why such a big deal is being made of this.

bosnian_red

No, you dont look silly. You look angry. You look frustrated. Going into a conversation like that wont help, but the conversation driving a person to that is a different thing. Being "cool" is over rated. At a restaurant, if you found a fly in your soup would you be calm? Would you still be calm if your replacement soup had a fly in it also? Anger is part of our wide range of emotions, and I think its pretty harsh to have a go at people that have been frustrated for seven years.
If I was at a restaurant and saw somebody shout at the waiter because they found a fly in their soup, I would think they're the biggest entitled idiots around, complete assholes, etc. Would have no respect. If you find shit in your food, you politely get the attention of the waiter/waitress, you calmly tell them, and they'll sort it out for you. Nobody wants to help you if you yell at them.

haram

Just listened to the presser. He was asked about fan disillusionment and what he can say to make them more positive. He responded by saying he hasn't had that feeling really that everyone is disillusioned, the small but loudest ones who complain always aren't usually the "best" fans and are always there, but most of his exposure that hes seen has been very positive.

In summary - standard media responses to be more positive.
The fans are disillusioned and they are loud.

Giggsyking

Which is most of the fanbase.
Exactly
Just type #mufc in Twitter and enjoy. The loud fanbase is the largest. If people want to bury their heads in the ground, fine. He should have answered a diplomatic answer to that question.