Ole's Touchline Performance

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
And it was a terrible philosophy.
Totally agree. If a manager can see something isn't right from the sidelines then why sit there and not organise the team better? There's always tweaks to be made during a game which can't be done if your sitting in the stand.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
This is the same nonsense as whoever is the captain. It doesnt matter. It sure as hell shouldnt make a difference for our players. If they need some guy standing on the sideline yelling at them to focus up and do their job, they shouldnt be anywhere near our club anyway.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Well, what about Klopp then? He never stops yelling at anyone within sight, yet they shipped 7 goals.
Dude is a certified wierdo. He was laughing when 4-1 down to Villa. I don't think anything he does should be considered a viable example to use in the land of the clinically sane.

United Hobbit

His body language is starting to remind me of Moyes' "defeated" demeanour. The way they both sit slumped in their seats can hardly be inspiring to the players. (Yes im aware multi million pound football players shouldn't need a manager screaming and shouting to show some effort but it all contributes)

I hate to use him as an example, but when Liverpool were losing Klopp was out of his seat on the touchline gesturing away. I know the camera doesn't always show him so he may do but Ole barely rises from his seat, show a little passion and urgency it just adds fuel to the fire of him being out of his depth and not knowing what to do. There's no chance Sir Alex would be sat slumped in his seat if he was presented with yesterday's "performance"

I know he apparently screamed at JLingz once but he just comes across too passive. I know it may be his style but he needs to get after them a bit.

Thats why I'd love one of those documentaries like Sunderland have, not only would it highlight just how bad the board and Ed are but also show if Ole really does have the hairdryer people say he does. On the City one they lost and you saw Pep go berserk would Ole do this. Also does he actually sit the team down and disect poor performances like yesterday?

He just comes across a bit too nice and keen to keep the players on side. He's almost like the fun supply teacher when the strict one has gone away. Im sure he's fun to work with (unfortunately so must Klopp be and it will always be Ed's biggest failure that we didn't get him) but unfortunately that isn't always enough

Last edited:

amidnorthern

He's glued to his screen like he's hypnotised. Players look to him and he could be checking texts from woodward for all they know. It's embarrassing.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is the same nonsense as whoever is the captain. It doesnt matter. It sure as hell shouldnt make a difference for our players. If they need some guy standing on the sideline yelling at them to focus up and do their job, they shouldnt be anywhere near our club anyway.
You must think footballers are some kind of robots, digital machines that you program and then they execute. These are humans, FFS! They have bad days, sometimes they have their heads up their ass and it's more than reasonable to scream at them to snap out of it. I don't know what kind of sport is a sport without any passion, calculated, cool-minded football is, what - curling?

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
You must think footballers are some kind of robots, digital machines that you program and then they execute. These are humans, FFS! They have bad days, sometimes they have their heads up their ass and it's more than reasonable to scream at them to snap out of it. I don't know what kind of sport is a sport without any passion, calculated, cool-minded football is, what - curling?
Bad day? They have been horrible since the season started. Remember these players under Mou when things got rough? They are frauds that will take any chance they get to hide and let media and fans alike go after the more likely person to get both blamed and fired.. the manager. Did it to Moyes, did it to LVG and they did it to Mou. Maybe Ole finally realized what kind of spineless weaklings he is dealing with, because he was yelling at the sidelines the first season he was here..

Imagine not being up for it vs Spurs, at Home vs their former manager who they really didn't like. You would think this would be one game all of them would be fully up for.

Foxbatt

We should sack Phelon. Ole does not need a minder to calm down, unlike Sir Alex.
He is not even entertaining anymore. He should burst a balloon under Ole's arse so he may get a bit more active.

Denis79

He loves watching his Norwegian soap operas on that screen, sometimes he remembers to celebrate a goal ffom us, sometimes not.

Greck

Yeah I can't get behind this one as we don't know what difference it actually makes. Only credible thing is Ole's in-game management in general is subpar. If we're leaking in the 22nd minute it's a safe bet we're still going to be leaking in the 85th minute. We scarcely turn the tides or stopped the bleeding during matches. How no one on the bench could proffer a solution to stop our right side leaking chances against Brighton was a huge disappointment

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t know if ripping him a new one may have helped but subbing him off couldn’t have resulted in anything worse than conceding the second so sloppily.

Gopher Brown

I know I always do my best spreadsheets when I’ve got some twat yelling in my ear at work

Green_Red

I cant imagine being in his position and not be on the touchline losing my shit when things were going the way I wanted them to be.

Maybe he spent so long warming the bench jn his career that he's more comfortable up there.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The truth is there have been great managers who yelled a lot while standing on the touchline, managers who stood a lot and yelled sometimes, and managers who sat most of the match and didn't say much unless the ref made a poor decision. Don't grade a manager based on his sideline behavior.

Foxbatt

The truth is there have been great managers who yelled a lot while standing on the touchline, managers who stood a lot and yelled sometimes, and managers who sat most of the match and didn't say much unless the ref made a poor decision. Don't grade a manager based on his sideline behavior.
From what I have seen of the PL the Managers who rave and rant won the PL most of the times. SAF, Jose, Arsene, Pep, Klopp, Conti, Claudio all are on the touch line shouting and encouraging or arguing.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bad day? They have been horrible since the season started. Remember these players under Mou when things got rough? They are frauds that will take any chance they get to hide and let media and fans alike go after the more likely person to get both blamed and fired.. the manager. Did it to Moyes, did it to LVG and they did it to Mou. Maybe Ole finally realized what kind of spineless weaklings he is dealing with, because he was yelling at the sidelines the first season he was here..

Imagine not being up for it vs Spurs, at Home vs their former manager who they really didn't like. You would think this would be one game all of them would be fully up for.
Maguire wasn't our player under Mou. And while you are correct that we've had an atrocious start of the season, yesterday's performance from Maguire was beyond any of those mishaps. He directly caused us to concede two goals.

I am not reading into any of the rest of the 4 goals we conceded, beyond that because we were playing with 10 people and we were never going to win, it was just a matter of not losing too badly. Yeah, we failed that but personally I don't really care if we lose 3:1 or 6:1, playing with 10 players, at the beginning of the season.

VivaRonaldo85

What is he doing with that ipad of his?
I’ve always wondered what’s on that iPad. I can’t think of another manager who sits glued to a screen for the entire game. I assume it’s a feed of the game and he likes watching instant replays? Although I’m not sure if he’s another “I didn’t see it” type manager in interviews.

Lentwood

No real evidence that it helps but I always prefer a manager to be on the touchline

I think that especially if you’re trying to play with intensity it helps

soapythecat

He looks defeated all the time. Must be quite demoralising as a player to look up and see him slumped in his seat doing nothing. I hope he’s more rousing and galvanising in the dressing room.
Body language of late is worse still - maybe he knows his days are numbered.

M Utd

He famously also gave the coaches grief (if the were tasked to coach players in a particular aspect of football ) when players made errors. It made everyone feel responsible and drove success.
Players then had to answer to each coach of if things were really bad the big man himself.

M Utd

Why can't there be a middle ground?

Ole may not be a coach to scream orders but perhaps could sit closer to the action and coach in a different manner. After all there are different management styles in all industries.

A top coach needs to know his players and know which ones to give a kick up the arse and which need a different approach. Of course this takes time.

Bestietom

I get frustrated with Ole at times, especially when he leaves his favourites on the field, when they should be the ones taken off.
He also needs to let Maguire know if he is to continue being captain, he has to act like one. Control your backline and cut out your clumsy play.
Not being able to pair 2 of our 8 CBs is a big problem in our club, and we must get the coaching right.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I know the players have stated previously that it's really difficult to hear the manager when they are screaming at the touchline, so it never really makes that much impact.
However, when there are no fans in the ground, it becomes an issue. With little guidance from anyone other than Phelan, our players do seem to be out of position a lot.
This would be a great time for Ole to drill the right practices on the pitch as we are getting very little time on the training ground.

laughtersassassin

I have to admit I'm not a fan of him just sitting there. Irritated me when LVG would leave Giggs do all the talking so if be lying if I said it didn't frustrate me know.

That said it isn't a problem when we are winning.

After international break will be interesting. Very tough run and I'd say Ole is relatively close to the brink already.

I wonder if his job is in the line will he change tactic?

James Peril

What’s weird is when Ole is looking at replays on his iPad, then sees his own mug on the screen and turns into the camera angle pretending like nothing’s going on. Looks proper strange and why does he have a fecking iPad there in the first place? To be well equipped before meeting the press after the game to discuss penalties? Focus on the rest of the game, you are not a fan at home anymore, you don’t need instant replays.

Bestietom

I think Ole's job is on the line and if results don't pick up after international break, Poch will be brought in.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
I think shouting on the touch line works well if the coach has a fear factor about him and there is quality sitting on the bench.

You can shout and point all you want but if the players know there is little to no chance of not getting picked for the next game it won't work. Mourinho has a history of pulling players at half time or leaving them out all together.

And what exactly is a Plan B? I don't know any top coach that has a plan B.
Plan B is mostly getting the ball quickly into the box which is a cute way of saying "play Allardyce footie". Send your big CB or Fellani up top and lump the ball forward. Not sure some of these philosophy coaches want to be seen playing that way unless when desperate for a goal.