Oliver Glasner

Red Star One

There is already a Crystal Palace thread, but I think Glasner deserves a separate one. Austrian manager, former defender with over 500 caps for SV Reid.

After the initial stint in Austria he took over VlF Wolfsburg in summer of 2019. In his first season he finished 7th and reached round of 16 of Europa League. In the second season he finished 4th and qualified with Wolfsburg to the Champions League for the first time since 2014/2015. Two really good years in Wolfsburg, he moved to Frankfurt, where in his first season with Eintracht he finished 11th in the league, but won the Europa League - beating Barcelona and West Ham in two-legged ties - and got Eintracht their first Champions League participation in over half a century. In the second season he managed to reach the R16 of Champions League, got to the final of DFB-Pokal and finished 7th in Bundesliga.

He was appointed Crystal Palace manager in February 2024 and replaced Hodgson. Palace were having a dire season and sitting at 17th place in the league. In his first 12 matches as Premier League manager, Glasner got 6 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses - a very good record that includes a win at Anfield and the recent 4-0 trashing of United. Under his rule Olise looks five times the player he was before, Eze is as slick as ever, and he reintroduced Mateta to the starting XI, with the French striker banging the goals for fun. Not to mention Palace look really fun to watch.

Surely one to watch and potentially an elite manager in the making. Is he destined for glory? Will he ever get a shot at one of the top clubs? It's quite unlikely he'd leave Palace so early, but would you fancy him at Old Trafford? I'd definitely prefer him over the likes of Southgate.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There is already a Crystal Palace thread, but I think Glasner deserves a separate one. Austrian manager, former defender with over 500 caps for SV Reid.

After the initial stint in Austria he took over VlF Wolfsburg in summer of 2019. In his first season he finished 7th and reached round of 16 of Europa League. In the second season he finished 4th and qualified with Wolfsburg to the Champions League for the first time since 2014/2015. Two really good years in Wolfsburg, he moved to Frankfurt, where in his first season with Eintracht he finished 11th in the league, but won the Europa League - beating Barcelona and West Ham in two-legged ties - and got Eintracht their first Champions League participation in over half a century. In the second season he managed to reach the R16 of Champions League, got to the final of DFB-Pokal and finished 7th in Bundesliga.

He was appointed Crystal Palace manager in February 2024 and replaced Hodgson. Palace were having a dire season and sitting at 17th place in the league. In his first 12 matches as Premier League manager, Glasner got 6 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses - a very good record that includes a win at Anfield and the recent 4-0 trashing of United. Under his rule Olise looks five times the player he was before, Eze is as slick as ever, and he reintroduced Mateta to the starting XI, with the French striker banging the goals for fun. Not to mention Palace look really fun to watch.

Surely one to watch and potentially an elite manager in the making. Is he destined for glory? Will he ever get a shot at one of the top clubs? It's quite unlikely he'd leave Palace so early, but would you fancy him at Old Trafford? I'd definitely prefer him over the likes of Southgate.
I’d prefer him over Southgate but I think this is a case where he might be the right manager for a mid table prem team. They’ve obviously had the new manager bounce with their form. Let’s see how he fares next season and in the transfer market, if teams sign their star players how will he replace them. He didn’t do to well with Frankfurt. Did alright with Wolfsburg getting them into top 4.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes I would be prepared to take a punt. He seems to have more about him than DeZerbi for example. The challenge for him will be trying to keep the main players together and seeing how they can build

Shinjch

Best to wait until next season before making minds up on him I would think. He came in when Olise and Eze were fit together for a spell, which really ups the level of that Palace side.

It's more difficult to keep it going than it is to get off to a good start.

Red Star One

He didn’t do to well with Frankfurt.
In the league maybe not, as they were doing quite well under Adi Hutter before Glasner came (5th, 9th, 7th) but I am pretty sure that Frankfurt fans must appreciate him for the European glory and trophy, memorable away night at Camp Nou (memorable also for the Catalans who are now paranoid they'll be outnumbered at their own stadium again) and good showing in the Champions League.

Teja

They play some really sexy stuff. I'd suggest go watching the highlights for a bit to look at their play. It's too early to take a punt for me - let the other sides digest his tactics, come up with counter measures etc. but definitely worth keeping an eye on in-case our next managerial appointment does not work out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Too slow. No way he goes in the summer unless someone pays a ridiculous fee.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He didn’t do to well with Frankfurt. Did alright with Wolfsburg getting them into top 4.
You are really underestimating his achievements with these clubs. Frankfurt hat to wait 42 years for an international title which he got them, that is absolutely exceptional. Reaching a cup final is also very good for that club. Surviving the CL group stage with a club that's playing in it for the first time is also a very rare feat, extremely few clubs managed it this millenium. Admittedly his league campaigns weren't excellent, but still more or less on par for what they usually do (for comparison, they are currently the probably weakest 6th place team in the leagues history).

Getting Wolfsburg into the CL also is something nobody else did in recent years, so that league performance there surely was better than just "alright", it's very good.

Too slow. No way he goes in the summer unless someone pays a ridiculous fee.
Reportedly Bayern approached them about him and they either straight denied or set a fee of 100m, depending on what you believe.

Red Star One

You are really underestimating his achievements with these clubs. Frankfurt hat to wait 42 years for an international title which he got them, that is absolutely exceptional. Reaching a cup final is also very good for that club. Surviving the CL group stage with a club that's playing in it for the first time is also a very rare feat, extremely few clubs managed it this millenium. Admittedly his league campaigns weren't excellent, but still more or less on par for what they usually do (for comparison, they are currently the probably weakest 6th place team in the leagues history).

Getting Wolfsburg into the CL also is something nobody else did in recent years, so that league performance there surely was better than just "alright", it's very good.

Reportedly Bayern approached them about him and they either straight denied or set a fee of 100m, depending on what you believe.
Agreed 100% - his record in Germany is nothing short of very good, to call it merely decent is an understatement

Nickelodeon

It was a coup for Palace to get him. But let’s wait for more evidence before declaring him as the next messiah.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Athletic said they rejected an 18m offer.

tomaldinho1

With all these newer manager coming in late season, wait until this time next season to judge. Partly because anything novel they do will be worked out by then, like Ange to a point, and also just because, specific to Palace, they were underperforming quite badly so is this just a bounce?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Real nice incremental progression to his career thus far.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
With all these newer manager coming in late season, wait until this time next season to judge. Partly because anything novel they do will be worked out by then, like Ange to a point, and also just because, specific to Palace, they were underperforming quite badly so is this just a bounce?
The current level (16 points from last 6 matches) is probably unsustainable, but in general against United they looked quite similar to his Frankfurt team (that's their only match I watched recently), so I think it's less of a bounce and more his ideas really working. How long this continues until someone finds a reliable recipe to stop them has to be seen, but it feels less like "bouncy vibes" and more like actual tactical changes that lead to their current form.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
"He didn’t do to well with Frankfurt." :eek:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Fair enough. Still doesn’t mean he’s good enough for us. Let’s wait and see what he does next season first

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Best to wait until next season before making minds up on him I would think. He came in when Olise and Eze were fit together for a spell, which really ups the level of that Palace side.

It's more difficult to keep it going than it is to get off to a good start.
Wharton looks to be coming into some great form too. It’ll be much more interesting and telling to see how they start off next season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Fair enough. Still doesn’t mean he’s good enough for us. Let’s wait and see what he does next season first
Also fair. To me his preferred style looks excellent to get a mid table side (over)performing, especially in a cup run, but I'm not so sure about him managing a club that wants to dominate a league.

Godfather

Yes I would be prepared to take a punt. He seems to have more about him than DeZerbi for example. The challenge for him will be trying to keep the main players together and seeing how they can build
I agree with this. Worth a punt. But I was of the same opinion with EtH so what do I know.

AndySmith1990

I wonder if Palace fans were hoping Hodgson would stay because no better managers were available

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's how quickly he's got Palace playing his style of football that's really impressive

BarryWinks

Tbf it does look like Palace always gets a new manager bounce then descend into mediocrity after a while. Wouldn't make any judgement about him until mid next season at the earliest.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wonder if Palace fans were hoping Hodgson would stay because no better managers were available
Of course not. They just had to replace some random bloke, while United would have to replace a manager who almost reached a CL final once. No way you can just pick some other random bloke like Glasner who has actually won a European trophy and expect him to do better.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wharton's been a superb signing for them. Will be in the England squad at some point next season.

Yeah we were still intoxicated but everyone knows Eze and Olise elevate their levels up significantly.

They've actually finished in the top half so on the face of it their best season at this level since the early 80s (?) even if it didn't feel like that up to March!

They coped fine without Zaha in the end but losing both their crown jewels in the same summer would put them back to square one so need to avoid that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Most of them wanted him out around November/December. It was a surprise he actually lasted as long as he did this season.

GlasgowCeltic

Tbf it does look like Palace always gets a new manager bounce then descend into mediocrity after a while. Wouldn't make any judgement about him until mid next season at the earliest.
Not sure they've had three players as good as Eze Olise and Wharton at the same time in the Prem before though, would be great if they could keep this team together for another year if just cause they're super fun to watch

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could probably cash in on Guehi I think. Hasn't he been linked to Man. United? He's barely played since Feb and they have plenty who can slot into the back 3 around Andersen.

Munoz been a nice pick up on the right for them aswell.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Could probably cash in on Guehi I think. Hasn't he been linked to Man. United? He's barely played since Feb and they have plenty who can slot into the back 3 around Andersen.

Munoz been a nice pick up on the right for them aswell.
Yeah he’s the one I’d sell, got two years left and not renewing. Would be a dream to keep everyone else together but it’s unlikely.

As for Glasner, incredible. When he came in relegation was a possibility, we could have had two points on his arrival and still stayed up.

And finished above the Seaweed for good measure. Delightful.

Last edited: