Olivier Giroud...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with you maybe except about the defensive part. I agree that players don't have automatism at national level but it is thé same for most team really so I don't see any disavantage for France to play more proactive football.
We are very defensive in my view because of Deschamps. He is a very pragmatic coach and ever will be (he was the same as a player). That is not a bad thing as we won the world cup being very solid for most part and a very good counter attacking team. He won the world cup in kind of the same fashion when he was a player...
Most national teams do not play "proactive" football, at least not against better sides and France tend to dominate weaker sides anyway. The only good sides that constantly play/played proactively against everyone are older Brazil teams(pre 2000s), 2008-2012 Spain , France in the 80s and Germany between 2010-2014, you could add Netherlands when the team was mainly built around Ajax and the former USSR teams/countries. The European teams all have in common that they were built around a small amount of teams with many key players being teammates.

AshRK

Hindsight is funny but I really wish Jose had done a Jose and bought him in 2018 Jan from Arsenal and we had missed out on sanchez to city or chelsea. He always seemed like a typical Jose striker. And he would have done a solid job even for Ole right now. I know it would have caused a meltdown here back then but as a back up striker he is probably one of the best to have in modern era.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I hope he manage to get that record just to annoy all the haters. Benzema was, is and will always be a dickhead. He has no one but himself to blame for his failed international career and especially not a guy who had nothing, started at the lowest and built hismelf up to be where he is today.
It's been the same arguments for years and we still haven't found a replacement. Unless Mbappe changes his game and grow 15cm, shit is going to hit the fan after these Euros.
Odsonne Edouard could be a candidate but he need to move away from Celtic and grab his chance when it comes.

iHicksy

I don't really understand Giroud. He has the ability to be a very good main striker and target man for a number of teams. Yet, he seems to purposefully choose to join teams where he's going to be a back-up. Whatever team he's playing for he's constantly linked with a move away to get more playing time but he just ends up somewhere as a backup.

Is it a lack of ambition, or the opposite? Does he have such faith in his ability he believes he can displace the main striker?

Redfrog

Most national teams do not play "proactive" football, at least not against better sides and France tend to dominate weaker sides anyway. The only good sides that constantly play/played proactively against everyone are older Brazil teams(pre 2000s), 2008-2012 Spain , France in the 80s and Germany between 2010-2014, you could add Netherlands when the team was mainly built around Ajax and the former USSR teams/countries. The European teams all have in common that they were built around a small amount of teams with many key players being teammates.
I think, at least Spain, Belgium, Croatia, Brazil, Germany play more proactive football. And France played more proactive under Blanc even with an inferior team. Deschamps is a very defensive coach...every one of my mates agree with it. That is not si bad when you go far in international competitions...

JPRouve

Scout
I think, at least Spain, Belgium, Croatia, Brazil, Germany play more proactive football. And France played more proactive under Blanc even with an inferior team. Deschamps is a very defensive coach...every one of my mates agree with it. That is not si bad when you go far in international competitions...
Germany and Spain have been underperforming for the better part of the last 5 years, same for Brazil, Belgium fold against good teams and Croatia are inconsistent. As for Deschamps being a defensive coach that's not really a debate, he is very italian in his management, he has clearly been influenced by Lippi and Jacquet, but the point is about the best formula for success, pre 2016 France was a lot more open and attacking but was also very inconsistent, that team would have never won a title and Deschamps would have been sacked.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
If you compare Benzema and Giroud for thé national team then you really don't know thé complicated history of Benzema and the french team.
This guy even said he doesn't like France and won't play for the team.
Even if he aplologised after his realationship with the team and country was broken.

Deschamps cleared the desk when he was appointed and even if I don't like his style of football he did that very well. He sacked all the problematic caracters from the team and builded one with a real team spirit. As a team we never had problems since he arrived.

So no, even if Benzema is more talented, I don't think we ever win the world cup with him in the team. Giroud is much better for France then Benzema ever was purely because he play for the shirt and country. Even if I am not a fan you can't contest his contribution or the fact he give it all. That is much more important then talent as it is a team game.
What type of fake news is this?

JPRouve

Scout
What type of fake news is this?
Yeah that part is not accurate. To make it short in an interview with Luis Fernandez in 2006, Benzema said that Algeria was his country, the country of his parents but that from a football standpoint he picked France.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't really understand Giroud. He has the ability to be a very good main striker and target man for a number of teams. Yet, he seems to purposefully choose to join teams where he's going to be a back-up. Whatever team he's playing for he's constantly linked with a move away to get more playing time but he just ends up somewhere as a backup.

Is it a lack of ambition, or the opposite? Does he have such faith in his ability he believes he can displace the main striker?
When Giroud signed for Chelsea, the only real obstacle was Alvaro Morata - my memory is a bit fuzzy on that season but I think they ended up sharing first choice duties. Coming into last season, I'm fairly certain he expected to outperform Abraham and Batshuayi.

Conte, Sarri and Lampard all turned to him towards the end of the season and he became the defacto first choice for all three managers to help get the team over line. I don't think it was a poor choice coming to Chelsea and I think he can feel unlucky to not have played more, Lampard certainly should have trusted him much earlier instead of forcing Abraham to play through injuries.