Ollie Watkins / Villa Player

PoTMS

I'm a fan. For £50m, we could do a lot worse. Yes, he's not at the level of Kane, Lewandonwski, etc. but he's a step above any striker we currently have.

Joel Miller

That was a great finish with the left foot. Just sheer power beating the keeper.

Leg-End

Started off in League Two, his Brentford replacement Toney made his mark in League One.

I’m honestly confused why more Prem sides don’t take chances on young talents in our lower leagues, they come cheap mostly built on add ons or sell ons because most of League One and Two need to sell every summer and winter, talents are there to be had.

Ronnie Edwards (defender) will be the next talent that goes with people scratching their heads how he went for £4-5 million and now he’s worth £60 million + in a few years.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That was a great finish with the left foot. Just sheer power beating the keeper.
This is what bizarre about him. How can he score that, yet miss the target completely when in the middle of the goal, 8 yards out?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Good player but given he has indeed underperformed his xG in every PL season thus far, the stick he gets for not being clinical enough isn't unwarranted.
he isn't a natural goal scorer by and means. He has improved his goal ratio by improving his finishing technique and the quality of his in box runs. Thanks to Emery's coaching instruction

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
he isn't a natural goal scorer by and means. He has improved his goal ratio by improving his finishing technique and the quality of his in box runs. Thanks to Emery's coaching jnstruction
To be fair, there was a twitter post from a personal coach who posted a clip of him training the exact movement of his near post goal. Credit probably has to go to that guy.

Oranges038

He's no better than the likes of Robbie Keane, Darrent Bent, Kevin Phillips etc etc.

He's a decent striker for a upper midtable team, but he's not good enough for a top side.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He's no better than the likes of Robbie Keane, Darrent Bent, Kevin Phillips etc etc.

He's a decent striker for a upper midtable team, but he's not good enough for a top side.
I would agree with this. If someone takes a big money punt on him, they will be disappointed.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Calum Wilson scored 18 PL goals last season. 5 already this season.

A similar level player to Watkins.

ROFLUTION

I think Watkins have more to his game than Wilson and the other mentioned who could be a bit one-dimensional at time. Besides scoring goals, he's quite involved, can take a man on (which Wilson's not that great at) and uses his physique good while also having acceleration and links up well with almost every player he's sat next to.

He's just a really good allround player and has shown it consistently for around 2 years now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm a fan. For £50m, we could do a lot worse. Yes, he's not at the level of Kane, Lewandonwski, etc. but he's a step above any striker we currently have.
We signed him for 28-30m.

Since then he's hit double figures in prem in three seasons and well on course to do it this year.

As said above just signed a new 5 year deal (no idea if there's a Grealish style release clause).

I don't really understand how that's just a 50m valuation.

Rashford had a poor start to this season but you wouldn't be selling him for that amount would you? He'd still be in the 70-80m bracket based on age, commercial opportunities and what he's achieved in previous seasons.

Spurs only got someone like Maddison for 40m because he'd just been relegated and had 12 months left on his deal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think Watkins have more to his game than Wilson and the other mentioned who could be a bit one-dimensional at time. Besides scoring goals, he's quite involved, can take a man on (which Wilson's not that great at) and uses his physique good while also having acceleration and links up well with almost every player he's sat next to.

He's just a really good allround player and has shown it consistently for around 2 years now.
Calum Wilson is a really good striker. Makes so many intelligent runs off the shoulder of last defender and I'd actually say he's a better one on one finisher than Ollie is tbh.

Downsides are his injuries and coming up to 30 now.

Funnily enough we actually wanted to sign him on top of Watkins in summer 2020 but he preferred to go to Newcastle to play for Steve Bruce at the time so would've been intriguing to have both in the squad.

Ollie has been in great form under Emery but the only issue is he does miss big chances regularly and that can impact in tighter games. At 0-0 on Sunday he scuffed shot wide of the post when he was only 12 yards out and central. Against Wolves he headed against the post unmarked from the penalty spot and that was the last kick of the game. Also missed a few for England v Australia so those misses would get far more scrutiny if he was playing for a Man. United, Chelsea or Liverpool.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Good player that’s plays for a good side that create good chances. I doubt he’d be close to those numbers playing for us under ETH.
He’s definitely the kind of striker that creates more chances for the entire team, stretching teams with this runs, taking players out of the game with his dribbling, providing a focal point under pressure, and generally using the ball well.

Jev

So what would it take to get Villa to sell this guy? I wanted us to see whether the Højlund money would have tempted them last summer when he only had two years left on his contract. Since then he’s signed a new long-term one. Is he just going to spend his prime at Villa, knowing he’s good enough for a top club? Surely he’ll want to make the jump? He’d be a fantastic signing for PSG, Arsenal, Liverpool, United or Chelsea this summer.

Patchbeard

I've always found him underwhelming when I've seen him live for Villa or England, but as I rarely watch any other teams live anymore I will concede that is a small sample size!

Just looked up that he has 1 goal in 10 games against us, so it's no surprise he's been underwhelming when I've seen him live. He does have 5 in 7 against Liverpool and 4 in 8 against Arsenal though so not a complete flack track bully, but similarly poor records against City and Chelsea.

Got to admit his record of assists this season too is impressive, and hadn't really noticed how he now has the most G+A overall and is in with a great chance of the golden boot which looked nailed on to be Haaland or Salah.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If we were going to sign an ex Brentford striker, I'd prefer it to be him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Villa would probably want same kind of money they got for Grealish, seeing as he’s basically as important if not more than Grealish was to them.

Doracle

I think he’s probably a Villa player now for the rest of his top level career. Would take huge money to prise him away and I still think he’d be a bit of a risk (for that type of money). Having a wonderful season though. Would be brilliant if he could snatch the golden boot.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
So what would it take to get Villa to sell this guy? I wanted us to see whether the Højlund money would have tempted them last summer when he only had two years left on his contract. Since then he’s signed a new long-term one. Is he just going to spend his prime at Villa, knowing he’s good enough for a top club? Surely he’ll want to make the jump? He’d be a fantastic signing for PSG, Arsenal, Liverpool, United or Chelsea this summer.
If Villa make the CL I would be stunned if he left this summer.

buckooo1978

Harry Kane situation with Watkins

Villa don't need to sell so he'll stay as long as he's productive....

If he's motivated to win trophies he might comsider a shorter contract than the 6 year one Kane signed

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A very good ST at prem Level. There’s a few we should be looking at, he’s one of them, Toney is another.

Lee565

3 English strikers in the top 5 goalscorers so far this season, watkins, palmer and solanke, when was the last time that happened?

England strength in depth in attack is up there with france

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I've always found him underwhelming when I've seen him live for Villa or England, but as I rarely watch any other teams live anymore I will concede that is a small sample size!

Just looked up that he has 1 goal in 10 games against us, so it's no surprise he's been underwhelming when I've seen him live. He does have 5 in 7 against Liverpool and 4 in 8 against Arsenal though so not a complete flack track bully, but similarly poor records against City and Chelsea.

Got to admit his record of assists this season too is impressive, and hadn't really noticed how he now has the most G+A overall and is in with a great chance of the golden boot which looked nailed on to be Haaland or Salah.
He's like a Welbeck. Got great attributes and technique but the finishing can be a bit off and he has games where he's randomly bad. But a very solid team player.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What’s with all the clamour for us to sign expensive strikers in their peak (Toney, Watkins)? Can we really afford to sign an expensive striker who would want a starting spot? It’s not like we have £60-£80m we can gamble on a “squad player”?

Hojlund should be cemented number one and agreed that we do need a backup. Shouldn’t we rather be looking at a value for money experienced backup or even a “hidden gem” talent rather? Of course I wouldn’t say no to either but considering our cash position and other priorities I don’t think it’s realistic. Unless there’s a major list of outgoings generating loads of cash.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What’s with all the clamour for us to sign expensive strikers in their peak (Toney, Watkins)? Can we really afford to sign an expensive striker who would want a starting spot? It’s not like we have £60-£80m we can gamble on a “squad player”?

Hojlund should be cemented number one and agreed that we do need a backup. Shouldn’t we rather be looking at a value for money experienced backup or even a “hidden gem” talent rather? Of course I wouldn’t say no to either but considering our cash position and other priorities I don’t think it’s realistic. Unless there’s a major list of outgoings generating loads of cash.
Hojlund hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be 'cemented' as a starter yet.

Jev

Watkins is a lot better than Højlund, though, and considering how raw Højlund is, I think it would be suitable for him to be first sub rather than starter at this stage. Watkins could also play from the left (with Højlund through the middle) and give more flexibility and depth to an attack that’s lightweight on both.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Hojlund hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be 'cemented' as a starter yet.
I’d think he needs some time to adjust to the league and with a team less shite (at creating chances anyway) than us - who he’ll hopefully be next season. (Fingers crossed). But your point is valid, I just think we might have to prioritise our funds to other key areas.
Watkins is a lot better than Højlund, though, and considering how raw Højlund is, I think it would be suitable for him to be first sub rather than starter at this stage. Watkins could also play from the left (with Højlund through the middle) and give more flexibility and depth to an attack that’s lightweight on both.
Yeah I figured there’s some tactical flexibility (including going 2 up top) with his (& Hojlunds) profile. Like I said, I wouldn’t say no to the signing but the economics just doesn’t add up.

Jev

I’d think he needs some time to adjust to the league and with a team less shite (at creating chances anyway) than us - who he’ll hopefully be next season. (Fingers crossed). But your point is valid, I just think we might have to prioritise our funds to other key areas.

Yeah I figured there’s some tactical flexibility (including going 2 up top) with his (& Hojlunds) profile. Like I said, I wouldn’t say no to the signing but the economics just doesn’t add up.
I’m just not sure I agree that attack isn’t an absolute priority. These are the established attackers Ten Hag wanted to start this season with:

Rashford
Højlund
Garnacho
Antony
Martial
Sancho

Assuming the latter two are out of the picture, I don’t see how we can go into the next season without a high-quality addition to our attack. Obviously we also need at least one central defender and one central midfielder.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’m just not sure I agree that attack isn’t an absolute priority. These are the established attackers Ten Hag wanted to start this season with:

Rashford
Højlund
Garnacho
Antony
Martial
Sancho

Assuming the latter two are out of the picture, I don’t see how we can go into the next season without a high-quality addition to our attack. Obviously we also need at least one central defender and one central midfielder.
Oh yeah, let me qualify - I think we need a class wide attacker - if we are to spend the money on any attacking position - you can add MG to that list of who EtH/the club wanted to have at their disposal. So if we spend anywhere in attack it should be a winger. My priorities are DM, RCB, RW (or left wing depending on where Garnacho develops. I’m not overly convinced with rashford, nor Antony - but I don’t think we’re selling either due to a combination of factors). I’m just not convinced Hojlund himself is the issue - I think those are structural/tactical and the lack of chances we tend to create by dominating the match.

Pintu

If it’s for a bigger CL club then he might. Could see him at Arsenal. They need a proper ST.
I can’t see your Villa selling him this summer, specially if they have the CL... he is under contract until 2028.