Omar Berrada | Man Utd CEO

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Long story short. Is it good? Or is he the Woodward internal promotion of City?
I don't recall Woodward ever being tapped up by top European clubs or NFL franchises. I also don't recall Woodward putting in 7 years of work at another top club before landing a job at United. Woodward was a banker that landed a job because he helped the Glazers take over United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's probably one of those things. I reckon he knew the club was dodgy but was so focused on his job that he just pushed it to the back of his head. Same with the rest of them. Pep, the players, the ceo, Txiki.
Some of that lot have to be up to their guts in it though.
Unless you think everything was the owner's doing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't recall Woodward ever being tapped up by top European clubs or NFL franchises. I also don't recall Woodward putting in 7 years of work at another top club before landing a job at United. Woodward was a banker that landed a job because he helped the Glazers take over United.
We already paid him top bill and he was top man.
There was nowhere else to go even if he was moderately able.

Marcelinho87

Not gonna lie, I wasn't for Ratcliffe/INEOS because it wasn't a 100% buyout and there was no official commitment or plan laid out to address the debt and I definitely still have concern because the money sucking Glazers are still involved and the possibility INEOS will just use us like the Glazers did.

But fairplay if this is how they do their business, no weeks/months of dragging on only for it to not happen It just happens out of nowhere without even a hint. Hopefully Berrada will take the next 4 months and have a list of what players to target and what players to get rid of and have plan to have the majority of our business done by the start of the pre-season tour.
For what purpose would INEOS need to use Manchester United?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How can you be so adamant about that? What kind of public CV did Isho bar-Maryam have when he first popped up by Lake Galily back in the day?
Finally someone is asking the tough questions. Blud was a carpenter and had no experience as a messiah.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Would it have been possible to do any better? Pretty huge move from the club. Fair fecking play.
It's hard to say if we could have done better. Always a possibility, but considering reality - I am surprised how well we did, resume-wise. :lol: Now time to see what it means in reality

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not gonna lie, I wasn't for Ratcliffe/INEOS because it wasn't a 100% buyout and there was no official commitment or plan laid out to address the debt and I definitely still have concern because the money sucking Glazers are still involved and the possibility INEOS will just use us like the Glazers did.

But fairplay if this is how they do their business, no weeks/months of dragging on only for it to not happen It just happens out of nowhere without even a hint. Hopefully Berrada will take the next 4 months and have a list of what players to target and what players to get rid of and have plan to have the majority of our business done by the start of the pre-season tour.
Not a shred of evidence of that being the case.

Grande

This is how I see it. Sporting director sits at the very top of the football pyramid and is answerable to the CEO who tackles business as well. He's basically the CEO for the sports section. Below him there's the manager (tactics, team morale, coaching), head scout (scouting), head of academy (academy) and technical director (who monitors the transition of academy players to first team) etc.

The advantage of that setup is that it protects the manager on many counts Take Antony for example. ETH keeps playing Antony because he is 'his signing' and if he tanks then that reflects badly on him. Also note that if an influential player gets too old and he doesn't deserve to keep earning his huge salary then its easier to get rid of him without the manager suffering the repercussions of player power. That's because if morale tanks then the maximum players can achieve is to sack the manager whom (99%) will take the players side. That what happened at Juventus when they decided that it was time for Del Piero to go.

The trouble with that setup is that the departments are so distinct that they do not work with one another. That what happened at Inter for example during Silvestre's time. The manager would ask for a striker only for him to end up with 2 LBs simply because Branca (DOF/Sporting director) believed that the squad needed a LB more then he needed a striker. United had struggled with this as well. For example its evident that VDB (Ole) and Fred (Mou) weren't wanted by the manager.

Thus you need someone whose role is to coordinate all stakeholders (manager, scouts, head of negotiating, academy, data analysts) and make sure that everyone is on the same page and aiming for the same goal. His also on the constant lookup on bargains (ie he would want to be the first to know that player X wants to leave), building relationships with clubs and agents and to know if player Y who seem a genius on the pitch has any negative character traits (ex he tend to play FIFA till early morning). Let's not forget that the average player today cost 60m + will probably earn 150k a week for let's say 5 years. That's another 40m. So the last thing the club wants is to spend 100m on the wrong type of player.

Now the sporting director has too much on his plate to go through every transfers and involve himself at every step in every deal (ins and outs). The scouts, the data analysts and the transfer negotiator can tackle an aspect of a transfer. What brings all together transfer wise is the head of recruitment or something of that kind (clubs might have different titles for that type of job)
Well written. My suspicion is that this whole coordination has been hampered from the top down at Utd since well before Ferguson and Gill quit. I buy that we have invested in some managers and players not at the top of the charts in this times, but I don’t buy that we have systematically found duds for all roles. Rather, I believe the culture coming from the top and the set up and matching up of personell has been so badly done that probably no manager or group of players would have made a huge deal of change on the years we have seen. If this is correct, it would probably mean we are a couple of years away from settling with a new top-down implemented culture.

3KDré

Some of that lot have to be up to their guts in it though.
Unless you think everything was the owner's doing.
No of course not. I am just guessing that the owner and whoever is responsible for the club from the Abu Dhabi side is much more responsible and would have shielded the football side as much as possible. There's no doubt everyone at that club knows how doctored it all is. They probably just didn't care because they were winning.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Long story short. Is it good? Or is he the Woodward internal promotion of City?
Ed Woodward began working for PricewaterhouseCoopers in the accounting and tax advisory department in 1993, before joining J.P. Morgan & Co. as an investment banker in the mergers and acquisitions department in 1999. He got involved with United. In 2005, Woodward advised Malcolm Glazer and the Glazer family during its successful takeover of Manchester United. The Glazer family then recruited Woodward to join the club in a "financial planning" role.

In 2007, Woodward was given charge of the commercial and media operations of Manchester United. It was in this role that Woodward is credited for United's success in tying up lucrative sponsorship deals with companies around the world.

Woodward was appointed to the board of directors and named executive vice-chairman of Manchester United in 2012. After the retirement of CEO David Gill the following year, Woodward was promoted to the top operational role at Old Trafford in a restructuring of the club's boardroom

Omar Berrada has been involved in football since 2004 when he was appointed as head of sponsorship at Barcelona. Since then he went up the ranks from Manchester China forum to Head of International Business development, Director of Partnership sales, Senior VP Group Commercial Director and COO. He then moved from Manchester City to City football group (ie the main company) to become Chief Football Operations Officer.

In layman terms Omar Berrada was successful at 2 clubs and is now successful in managing the parent company who owns around 12 clubs in 3 different continents. Woodward couldn't even manage Manchester United

devilish

Well written. My suspicion is that this whole coordination has been hampered from the top down at Utd since well before Ferguson and Gill quit. I buy that we have invested in some managers and players not at the top of the charts in this times, but I don’t buy that we have systematically found duds for all roles. Rather, I believe the culture coming from the top and the set up and matching up of personell has been so badly done that probably no manager or group of players would have made a huge deal of change on the years we have seen. If this is correct, it would probably mean we are a couple of years away from settling with a new top-down implemented culture.
The need of dragging United into present time by creating new roles and hiring top people were known for years. The Glazers knew about it and that's the reason why they created the DOF and technical director role after years of pressure from the fans. Unfortunately the Glazers shortsightedness in thinking that money will keep flowing in no matter what + their paranoia in micromanaging everything lead to them always hiring either from within or unqualified people who were simply too grateful for the role to push for a change. Its said that when the DOF role was created, all reputable DOF's turned us down because they didn't want to be mere placeholders and pen pushers.

Its a shame because football and money often work hand by hand. If we're successful on the pitch then the coffers will be filled in no time

pascell

RedCafe - putting a best-in-class backroom team together is the biggest priority, no manager can succeed when forced to work under these incompetent clowns

SJR appoints industry-leading CEO

RedCafe - Haven't heard of him. How important is a CEO? It's what happens on the pitch that's important.

Some people will never miss an opportunity to be pessimistic
And it's fecking tedious and grating, it's like they want the club to fail.

We could go on to win the league this season and some would still moan like feck.

JediSith

My only question is why this happened now? Why would you go from a winning club to a giant that is struggling. If it is about new adventure, fair enough.

Is there something he knows about ManCity allegations?
Happens regularly. The bigger name/brand will always hold a bigger appeal. Look at how many players left winning teams to join Real Madrid that hadn’t gotten past the last 16 of CL for 6 years.

Kaka left Ac Milan who were still a top European team, Alonso left Liverpool (beat RM comfortably in the CL) , Ronaldo left United (equal brand but most likely better lifestyle in Madrid)

devilish

RedCafe - putting a best-in-class backroom team together is the biggest priority, no manager can succeed when forced to work under these incompetent clowns

RedCafe - Haven't heard of him. How important is a CEO? It's what happens on the pitch that's important.

The CEO is the absolute top of the pyramid. Money play a huge deal in football so he'll need to be able to bring as much money towards the club as possible. On the other hand he'll also have to make sure that the football side is not neglected.
One of my concerns about Blanc was that while he's a beast commercial wise he seem to lack the football acumen to understand when tough decisions need to be taken at football level. That what happened at Juve were his inability to change the DOF and make some tough decisions at Fitness team level ultimately costed him his role as CEO there. This doesn't seem to be the case with Berrada who had taken some tough decisions (ex the Maguire deal) that proved to be extremely wise football wise.

JediSith

And it's fecking tedious and grating, it's like they want the club to fail.

We could go on to win the league this season and some would still moan like feck.
Agreed. I have been a bit surprised by the reaction. We don’t know how this will turn out. But everything so far is the opposite of how United have done business post SAF. As this has been a deal that should give a great deal of optimism.

We’ve hired a highly rated person who has shown ability and has potential, but also wasn’t an “obvious choice”. We’ve done it without the usual noise and drag on for weeks & months.

Phil Osophy

The best news for me is the fact that we're seeing the first moves already. Honestly I can't wait for the whole structure being settled and operating, seeing their plans and their first decisions. This is the first time in a very long time I feel genuine hope about things changing at United.

FujiVice

Happens regularly.
Not in football it doesnt. This is the highest profile jump since Peter Kenyon. There's new challenges and then there is basically leaving the top team in the country for the local rivals. He either believes in Ratcliffe's project or City are in trouble.

Teja

The best news for me is the fact that we're seeing the first moves already. Honestly I can't wait for the whole structure being settled and operating, seeing their plans and their first decisions. This is the first time in a very long time I feel genuine hope about things changing at United.
This. Normally operations under Glazers would've been a protracted saga with multiple leaks about links to this guy and ultimately we wouldn't have been able to land him at all. Get a DOF in and be ready for the summer.

The crucial decisions for me are:

Will Ten Hag stay / leave? If he leaves, can we get someone of the same promise as an Alonso to be our manager?

Identify transfer targets before the summer window even begins and start approaching the clubs and players. Really don't want a repeat of Sancho saga v1 or FDJ.

CallyRed

Can people stop being positive for feck sake. This isn't the Redcafe we all know and love.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Not for long.. I reckon 3-4 years max.

What concerns do you have? What will they use us for?

Revenue/op profit… Ineos turn over tens of billions a year and gross two to three billion
Value… Ratcliffe is worth about £30Bn (net)
Quick cash take… it was Ratcliffes idea to veto dividends for three years

What is the global, multi income streamed, profitable group and the highly successful/highly rich owner going to use United for?

Or maybe, Ratcliffe is 71, can only increase Ineos/personal value so much now but as a United fan wants to use his/his teams vast experience to sort the club out?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He’s never worked as a CEO before so how can he be an industry leading CEO? :confused:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He’s never worked as a CEO before so how can he be an industry leading CEO? :confused:
If anything he's taken a demotion. COO is obviously higher than anyone else. Tis the call of the mightiest of birds, after all.

AneRu

Not in football it doesnt. This is the highest profile jump since Peter Kenyon. There's new challenges and then there is basically leaving the top team in the country for the local rivals. He either believes in Ratcliffe's project or City are in trouble.
We have the biggest wage bill in European football and regularly spend north of 150m per season - that's the basic financial muscle needed to rebuild a club if you know what you are doing. Spearheading a possible resurgence here will be more rewarding than sharing the glory with Pep, Soriano and Txiti.

Where you see a huge challenge, someone confident in his ability sees an opportunity to build a name for himself.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If nobody else leaves City then surely this theory about him knowing something is rubbish.

Let's give it 2 weeks.

Phil Osophy

This. Normally operations under Glazers would've been a protracted saga with multiple leaks about links to this guy and ultimately we wouldn't have been able to land him at all. Get a DOF in and be ready for the summer.

Will Ten Hag stay / leave? If he leaves, can we get someone of the same promise as an Alonso to be our manager?

Identify transfer targets before the summer window even begins and start approaching the clubs and players. Really don't want a repeat of Sancho saga v1 or FDJ.
Yes, completely agree.

And after all this time ruled by bankers I'm sure we'll appreciate the difference with actual football people at work. I'm really looking forward to it.

Orion.

Quite a few of them I know reckon he’d better ‘watch his back’. Something about their dictator having the capability to do whatever he wants.

Josep Dowling

Why not just go for Alonso? Ancelotti has signed a new contract with Real and Klopp won’t be leaving Liverpool so seems like we would have a good chance of getting him (his Liverpool connection aside).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Quite a few of them I know reckon he’d better ‘watch his back’. Something about their dictator having the capability to do whatever he wants.
Who is them? Who needs to watch their back?

Ole'sattheWheel

Side note but god i never realised how badly written the Daily Mail actually is (cos i never read it).

I know people always criticise the agenda it spews, but this is basically unreadable. That bit about the Stone Roses song literally doesn't even make sense

Vidooq

Does anyone know what his actual football background is? I understand he has been on the footballing side all his life, but he seems to be handling most of the commercial stuff, money flow, salries, and paying transfer fees.

Where I do think that the most crucial appointment after this is, who will identify the players we want to sign, and who that appointment would be?

I'd love me some Michael Edwards for DOF, or Dean Ashford as a back up option. I know Omar worked on the Haaland and Grealish transfer as reported per Ornstein, but I'm curious how much of say he has in identifying these players, or was it all Soriano selecting them?

Because where this guys CV is strong is 80% commercial background, where we didn't lack behind the competition too much. Where we were abysmal was selecting players(type, age, background, salaries), roster planning and panicking after every bad 2 opening games of the season.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He is the one credited for Girona success? Anybody who knows anything towards this claim?

Was Girona under his leadership?

Superunknown

Expect him to get found personally responsible for the 115 and banned for life around a month after he joins us.
It's either that, or he'll be involved in some sort of farcical scandal, like he was caught shitting into a child's lunchbox, or that he dropkicked a family of pigeons. I'm just waiting for it.