On This Day in 2004

SirAF

Ageist
One of my favorite matches of all time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Great game, terrible season. We effectively kicked and battered Arsenal off the pitch that day.

If memory serves, we went and lost to Portsmouth the week after that. Couldn't get any consistency going.

Remember it like it was yesterday though, scary how fast time goes.

SirAF

Ageist
Great game, terrible season. We effectively kicked and battered Arsenal off the pitch that day.

If memory serves, we went and lost to Portsmouth the week after that. Couldn't get any consistency going.

Remember it like it was yesterday though, scary how fast time goes.
Absolutely, I loved it!

Most of the season was pretty naff yeah - except the reverse fixture at Highbury! Another classic.

big rons sovereign

What a day that was. Never a pen in a million years, but who cares? Arsenal had it coming, having had so many dodgy pens that saved their "invincibles" season.
I seem to remember there was a foul on Rooney about 2 minutes later but that wasnt given.

I also remember promising my sister I wouldn't let her husband get drunk that day and pumped him full of stella. Haha, left him in a right state.

It was United/Arsenal back in the day. You had to get pissed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobski

Absolutely, I loved it!

Most of the season was pretty naff yeah - except the reverse fixture at Highbury! Another classic.
The return fixture, the 4-2?. Pretty much showed Utd the way forward and away from RVN, very important fixture for what would happen over the next 5 years.

SirAF

Ageist
The return fixture, the 4-2?. Pretty much showed Utd the way forward and away from RVN, very important fixture for what would happen over the next 5 years.
Yes! Epic match.

Actually I think he’s screaming “Come ooooooooooooonnnnnnn” :)
I thought it sounded almost like Chewbacca taking a dump, but I’ll take your word for it!

Siorac

It was also one of Roy Keane's last great performances. Starting in the tunnel.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
That was a different match at Highbury that you’re thinking of. Unless he did something in the tunnel for this game that I don’t recall? :confused:

Siorac

That was a different match at Highbury that you’re thinking of. Unless he did something in the tunnel for this game that I don’t recall? :confused:
It was the 4-2. The bust-up with Vieira, with the ref pulling them apart.

big rons sovereign

Was that the same season? I thought it was the 2-2 with their 2 offside goals and Campbell getting sent off. Also a great match. Either way, the Arsenal/United rivalry was epic.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Was 2003-2006 worse than it is now? That was a horrible period.
Can't remember personally, but looking at the 04 team, it wasn't great, yet still better than now. I know I always felt like Fergie had everything under control.

Side note, I always find it weird seeing Pique in our squad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

One of my favorite matches of all time.
Our attack was irresistible. I mean you have a prime Rooney and RvN (who I rate as the best striker to play for us).
Imagine having the luxury of taking off RvN before 90 minutes.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It was the 4-2. The bust-up with Vieira, with the ref pulling them apart.
Yeah that was the battle of Old Trafford. After the match, was the pizza thrown? Is that the game?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Makes a massive difference when you are handed your scoring opportunities on a plate.
I saw RvN make/score goals out of nothing.
I remember in one of the games in the CL, we were playing him as a lone striker and he had to make something out of nothing himself. He did so. Twice. We won 2-0 and he had virtually no attacking support (similar to what we have currently in our squad, except Lukaku is useless). A lot of people remember our match play under SAF as all rosey - it wasn't. There were matches when we basically parked the bus and relied on the individual skill of our striker to win us the game.

Mainoldo

Our attack was irresistible. I mean you have a prime Rooney and RvN (who I rate as the best striker to play for us).
Imagine having the luxury of taking off RvN before 90 minutes.
We finished 3rd lol.

SirAF

Ageist
I remember in one of the games in the CL, we were playing him as a lone striker and he had to make something out of nothing himself. He did so. Twice. We won 2-0 and he had virtually no attacking support (similar to what we have currently in our squad, except Lukaku is useless). A lot of people remember our match play under SAF as all rosey - it wasn't. There were matches when we basically parked the bus and relied on the individual skill of our striker to win us the game.
Basel away?

stevoc

Not worse no, it was bad but not as bad as now in my opinion. During that period we went on bad runs like we do now and there was no guarantee we would get back to the top and the squad wasn't as strong as it had been.

Having said that though when you look at the team in that game it was still pretty good. G.Neville, Silvestre, Heinze, Ferdinand, P.Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, RVN, Saha all involved. Of those players at least 7-8 of them walk into the current side, which is depressing. And thats not even counting the likes of Brown, Smith, Keane, Forlan, Fletcher and O'Shea.

Red_Ramirez

Replacing Beckham with Djemba Djemba and Kleberson etc in 2003. Chelsea looking like they'd dominate for the next 10 years. Calendar year 2005 was the worse . The Glazers took over and fans starting to turn on Fergie and the team, I'll never forget Lille away in the Champions League...tbf results were not good and the football was frustratingly bad. The ABU media were loving it of course. Ageing star players and the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo and Fletcher looking light years away from carrying the team forward....

Red_Ramirez

Not worse no, it was bad but not as bad as now in my opinion. During that period we went on bad runs like we do now and there was no guarantee we would get back to the top and the squad wasn't as strong as it had been.

Having said that though when you look at the team in that game it was still pretty good. G.Neville, Silvestre, Heinze, Ferdinand, P.Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, RVN, Saha all involved. Of those players at least 7-8 of them walk into the current side, which is depressing. And thats not even counting the likes of Brown, Smith, Keane, Forlan, Fletcher and O'Shea.
:lol:Fletcher, O'Shea, Smith, P.Neville, Forlan even Ronaldo was given so much shit on here

The mentality of those players so much better than the current snowflake bunch that's for sure

Red_Ramirez

I remember in one of the games in the CL, we were playing him as a lone striker and he had to make something out of nothing himself. He did so. Twice. We won 2-0 and he had virtually no attacking support (similar to what we have currently in our squad, except Lukaku is useless
). A lot of people remember our match play under SAF as all rosey - it wasn't. There were matches when we basically parked the bus and relied on the individual skill of our striker to win us the game.
??
Van Nistelrooy was the type of striker who relied on service. Remember when he went all incredible sulk when we sold Beckham?? His movement and finishing was 10/10 though. WORLD CLASS

nice pointless dig at Lukaku if it makes you feel better though

I agree with you on people thinking it was rosey throughout the Fergie era though....it wasn't..

Josh 76

Worst season ever.
I hate looking back to that time.
2004-05 ...
.prem winners Chelsea
Fa up winners Arsenal
And not going to even mention the other winners that season!

Amir

Having said that though when you look at the team in that game it was still pretty good. G.Neville, Silvestre, Heinze, Ferdinand, P.Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, RVN, Saha all involved. Of those players at least 7-8 of them walk into the current side
And right away look like crap :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
No way in my opinion. A mate I walked to school with, who is still a good friend actually, wanted Fergie out around this time but that kind of entitled garbage was very much from a minority of our fans as far as I can recall. Most people relished the battle we'd had versus Arsene's Arsenal (what a superb tussle it was) and were concerned by Chelsea's rise but again were relishing getting back at them (which we bloody well did).

BarstoolProphet

What a day that was. Never a pen in a million years, but who cares? Arsenal had it coming, having had so many dodgy pens that saved their "invincibles" season.
I seem to remember there was a foul on Rooney about 2 minutes later but that wasnt given.

I also remember promising my sister I wouldn't let her husband get drunk that day and pumped him full of stella. Haha, left him in a right state.

It was United/Arsenal back in the day. You had to get pissed.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We may have kicked Arsenal off the park that day, but we played them off the park in the 4-2. May have been my favourite United game ever in terms of entertainment. Rooney and Ronaldo showing their promise, Scholes and Keane dominating the midfield, Giggs flying....What a game that was!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
We may have kicked Arsenal off the park that day, but we played them off the park in the 4-2. May have been my favourite United game ever in terms of entertainment. Rooney and Ronaldo showing their promise, Scholes and Keane dominating the midfield, Giggs flying....What a game that was!
Even down to ten men IIRC - Silvestre was sent off wasn't he?

But yeah that game had everything. The 2-2 with Arsenal at Highbury in 2003 is also up there.

I miss when watching football used to be good :(

Yagami

Good post resistant
Even down to ten men IIRC - Silvestre was sent off wasn't he?

But yeah that game had everything. The 2-2 with Arsenal at Highbury in 2003 is also up there.

I miss when watching football used to be good :(
I believe so after a foul on Henry. Then we brought Saha on to try and hold the ball up and press their defence.

It's kinda similar to our current squad in that our defence back then was shaky (Silvestre, Barthez, Rio was good but wasn't at his peak yet), but instead of going ultra defensive we attacked them (putting a lot of trust into Rooney and Ronaldo in doing so) and it provided one of our best games ever. I wish we'd go into games like that now, trusting our attackers to get the job done rather than this conservative approach. I mean, when we've done this after already going a goal or two down, we've shown we can go toe-to-toe with any team in the league - even City.

Yes, the 2-2 was good viewing, too! I have that match downloaded actually. I used to have the 4-2 match as well but the laptop I had it on died and I haven't been able to find it since. I was going to eventually upload it to YouTube for those that may have never seen it because it's so good but, alas, it was not to be! I was also going to do one of those individual highlight videos of Keane and Scholes in said game because they were amazing that day. Scholes is still the best CM I've ever seen live.

Things look grim at the moment but hopefully we'll get back to playing some good stuff. I still have faith that we will if we make the right appointment after José. It does feel like it's been donkeys years since we've been fun to watch, though :(