One-man teams

Irrational.

Is there a bigger example of a one man team than Barcelona? They look like utter shit when Messi is out of form or not playing, and the man has single handedly carried them ever since Xavi and Iniesta left the club.

I struggle to think of other one man teams that rely so much on a single player. Maybe Arsenal with Aubameyang?

MrEleson

the man has single handedly carried them ever since Xavi and Iniesta left the club.
That's such a hyperbolic statement. Suarez won them the league in 15/16 with his 40 league goals (finishing just 1 point ahead of RM). Neymar also carried them earlier on in that very season when Messi was injured and starred in the 0-4 drubbing of Madrid at the Bernebeau (in Messi's absence). That MSN trio won the treble the previous season. In 16/17, Neymar carried them again in that historic comeback against PSG. So yeah, he's been their best player but by no means did he play with bums throughout.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's such a hyperbolic statement. Suarez won them the league in 15/16 with his 40 league goals (finishing just 1 point ahead of RM). Neymar also carried them earlier on in that very season when Messi was injured and starred in the 0-4 drubbing of Madrid at the Bernebeau (in Messi's absence). That MSN trio won the treble the previous season. In 16/17, Neymar carried them again in that historic comeback against PSG. So yeah, he's been their best player but by no means did he play with bums throughout.
To be fair Iniesta left the club in 2018 and between 2018 and 2020, Messi has almost singlehandedly made that team competitive. The 2018-2019 season was ridiculous in that regard.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They seem to be absolutely awful whenever he's not at his best
I think Palace are just one of those teams that look shit whoever is playing for them but I think Zaha actually had a really poor output last year and they could probably be alright without him.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I think Palace are just one of those teams that look shit whoever is playing for them but I think Zaha actually had a really poor output last year and they could probably be alright without him.
Dunno, he gets double and triple marked every game because everyone knows he's their only real threat. That should leave space for others and probably helped Ayew last season to score a few goals. I think they'll be dreadful if he leaves

MrEleson

To be fair Iniesta left the club in 2018 and between 2018 and 2020, Messi has almost singlehandedly made that team competitive. The 2018-2019 season was ridiculous in that regard.
Yeah he was critical to their success but it's not the biggest carry job. Suarez scored 25 goals in 18/19 (21 in the league).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Leicester with Vardy.
It’s actually a shout. He’s the only one who got double figures in the league, and only Tielemans and Barnes got more assists (Vardy’s 5 vs Tielemans‘ 6 and Barnes’ 8) than him this season.

Their abysmal run from January until basically the end of the season coincided directly with Vardy looking really shite. Without him there’s nobody else in the side who even looks like they can score.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Shearer at Blackburn. Surely wouldn’t have had a sniff of the league without him

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ronaldo with Inter in 1997/98

Serie A Context

97/98: Ronaldo scored 40 goals with Inter Milan - all competitions - with a dysfunctional team (for many reasons). Zamorano & Djorkaeff were able to score some goals but let's be clear: the only offensive threat was Ronaldo. No collective play. Add the fact that refereeing has changed since to protect talented players subject to assaults. Seria A was the best league in Europe.

Top scorers Inter Milan in Serie A - 1997-98

• Ronaldo 25 goals
  • Youri Djorkaeff 8 goals
  • Diego Simeone 6 goals
  • Álvaro Recoba 3 goals
  • Zamorano: 1 goal

Lebo

Barca is not a one man team. That’s just what people say when they don’t want criticism on Messi. That team has Ter Stegen, Pique, Umtiti, De Jong, Rakitic, Griezmann, Suarez , Dembele etc. those players can get top 2 in Spain with a half decent coach. Same with people pretending that Portugal and Argentina are average sites. They aren’t at all. Sure they aren’t France or Germany but they are by no means average as people want us to believe.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You could argue Danny Ings had pretty much single handedly kept Soton in the league... Though they do have a good manager.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes I am.:D
Now seriously they actually had a decent team with Luiz Gustavo, Arnold when he was decent, Ricardo Rodriguez when he was decent, Schurrle, Perisic and Benaglio. De Bruyne was by far their best player but it wasn't a one man team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Gerrard for a lot of his Liverpool days.

It's what hyped his rep up to sky high levels. Like if some of us hung out with some seriously ugly fellas and looked hot.

Or something.

Chief123

Is there a bigger example of a one man team than Barcelona? They look like utter shit when Messi is out of form or not playing, and the man has single handedly carried them ever since Xavi and Iniesta left the club.

I struggle to think of other one man teams that rely so much on a single player. Maybe Arsenal with Aubameyang?
Maybe in the last couple of years since they’ve regressed so much.

But I don’t believe Barca have been a one man team throughout Messi’s career.

Neymar, Suarez, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Ronaldhino, Eto, Henry who have all played with Messi at Barca have been incredible world class players. It’s just Messi was something the world has rarely seen.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Now seriously they actually had a decent team with Luiz Gustavo, Arnold when he was decent, Ricardo Rodriguez when he was decent, Schurrle, Perisic and Benaglio. De Bruyne was by far their best player but it wasn't a one man team.
how good was Naldo generally for them? When I watched them (admittedly not that often) he always looked really good, he seemed to score in every game I watched too. I don’t know if it was a case of catching him on his best days.

JPRouve

Scout
how good was Naldo generally for them? When I watched them (admittedly not that often) he always looked really good, he seemed to score in every game I watched too. I don’t know if it was a case of catching him on his best days.
He was pretty good for a while but if I remember correctly he started to seriously decline with them when he lost a bit of pace.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There's never a true one man team. But De Bruyne was absolutely their main guy.

el3mel

France with Zidane. They had super stars everywhere on the pitch but they only clicked when Zidane was on form. Check 2006 WC when they started really poorly because Zidane wasn't in form and when he kicked on from first KO stage, they made it to final.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My youth team when I was 7. We had the coach's son in our team, who also played higher up. He scored about 15 goals every game untill the oppo's parents complained and he was benched. We lost 4-3.

Also, Maradona at Napoli.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Pele and late 50s to early 70s Brazil. shite for years when he declined.

Cruyff and early 70s Ajax/Netherlands.

Van Basten and late 80s-early 90s Netherlands/Milan.

Beckenbauer and 66-74 Germany and mid 70s Bayern ( Monchengladbach were greater in the league at the same time with no good players at all though, which was even more impressive).

Puskas and the Hungarian early 50s team and first legendary Real Madrid team ( Di Stefano was a balding fraud).

Sindelar and the Austrian Wunderteam (not really a team at all. just one man doing everything).

France with Platini in the 80s and Deschamps in the 90s.

Germany without Uwe Bein was really bad too. They only got to three finals and a semi-final, but i think i got the main ones. Maybe the Barca dream team and Pep Guardiola?