Only Fools and Horses R1 - Harms vs Synco

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Harms

Pat Jennings. 1973-1976. FWA Footballer of the Year 1972/73; PFA Player’s Player of the Year 1975/76; PFA First Division Team of the Year 1973/74, 1975/76; Ballon d’Or: 23th (1973), 27th (1975).

Bobby Moore. 1967-1970. Ballon d’Or: 2nd (1970), 22th (1968); World Soccer World XI 1968, 1969; UEFA Euro TotT 1968; West Ham Player of the Year: 1968, 1970.

Albert Shesternyov. 1967-1970. Ballon d’Or: 10th (1970), 11th (1969), 14th (1968); Soviet Footballer of the Year (1970, 3rd place – 1968, 1969); UEFA Euro TotT 1968.

John Greig. 1973-1976. Scottish Player of the Year 1975/76.

Paul Reaney. 1968-1971. // First Division 1968/69.

Nobby Stiles. 1965-1968. // World Cup 1966; European Cup 1967/68; First Division 1966/67.

Bobby Murdoch. 1966-1969. Scottish Player of the Year 1968/69 // European Cup 1966/67.

Zé Roberto. 2001-2004. Bundesliga Team of the Season 2001/02; kicker International class (2), In the wider circle (2)

Marcus Rashford. 2017-2020. Premier League Player of the Month Jan 2019; Europa League TotT 2019/20.

Andriy Shevchenko. 1998-2001. Ballon d’Or 3rd (1999, 2000), 8th (2001); CL Top-scorer 1999, 2001; Serie A Top-scorer 2000; Ukranian League Top-scorer 1999; Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year 2000; Ukranian Footballer of the Year 1999, 2000, 2001.

Denis Law. 1962-1965. Ballon d’Or 1st (1964), 4th (1963), 11th (1962, 1965) // First Division 1964/65

This is a pretty standard modern 4-3-3. In Denis Law I have one of the greatest line-leading strikers of all-time, whose work-rate and team-oriented mentality sets him apart even in this distinguished company. On either side of him we have the young prodigy Marcus Rashford and, of course, the one and only Andriy Shevchenko – Lobanovsky's ideal footballer with 127 goals in 208 Serie A games.

Midfield roles are as followed: Stiles is a ball-winning midfield destroyer, Murdoch is a playmaking box-to-box and Zé Roberto's role resembles one of Di Maria under Ancelotti – a ball-carrying semi-attacking midfielder in a hybrid wide/central role, for which he is basically tailor-made.

My defense is pretty straight-forward. Bobby Moore is partnered by a freak of nature Albert Shesternyov, tall as a tree, hard as a rock and an award-winning sprinter in his youth to boot (it's hard to find a better opponent for Ruud Gullit's unique set of qualities). Paul Reaney is very much an archetypical 4-3-3 fullback in this set up – balanced and well-capable on both sides on the pitch. In John Greig I have probably the most interesting tactical piece in this game – his partnership with Zé Roberto on the left is completely interchangeable & both can cut inside as well as stay out wide, which will cause some issues to Synco. Greig is also one of the most tactically astute players that I've seen (on the back of a very limited footage, mind), and I'm glad that this draft gave me an opportunity to take a closer look at the greatest ever Ranger.

Random compilation of the day:
In his 4th game in Serie A young Shevchenko had met his first proper challenge – Nesta-led Lazio side that will (spoilers!) win the title this season. And he didn't disappoint – in a jaw-dropping performance he had scored 3 goals and started the move for the 4th one. Peak Sheva :drool:

Team Synco

Recreating Ancelotti's famed CL-winning 4-3-3 / 4-4-2 hybrid, but this time with Darius Vassell instead of Cristiano!

Getting serious, this formation intends to put everyone in an ideal position to succeed. Obvious difference to the original is the main scorer being the CF, with the left-sided FW in a supporting role.

Player roles

Key player Di Maria reenacts his LCM/LW dual role from Real's 2014 side, offering either wide or central presence in cooperation with Vassell and Gemmell.

Gemmell as an attacking FB on the left wing.

Gullit has a right-sided free role, roaming between RW, AM, and CF positions, as it should be. Neville provides either offensive width or cover as needed.

Fernando Torres was one of the best strikers in the world at Liverpool, which is his three year peak for this game.

Gascoigne's style is in some ways different from Modric's, but he offers the creative/attacking box-to-box element needed in CM, in combination with his exceptional workrate.

Buchan and Nesta are pretty much a perfect match as a CB duo, with prime Mascherano (i.e. 2014 WC form) protecting the space in front of them. Buchans wide-ranging interceptor style will help securing the left side when Gemmell is in an attacking mood.

Defense

All attacking players are disciplined workers against the ball (second difference to the original), making this side a tough nut to crack. The team will defend in a 4-4-2, not too deep, with Di Maria and Gullit occupying the wide positions.

This team is a transition side, so the opposition is granted a bit of space in their own half. Then they will encounter a tight formation with aggressive pressure from the top. Once the ball is won, the front five (and possibly Gemmell) will try to overwhelm the opposition with pace, power, and skill.

Tactical battle

If harms sticks to his 4-4-2 and Rashford at LW, I see a potentially match-deciding advantage for me on that side, and by extension in the middle as well. But let's see what he's up to first.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's a great team by @Synco – I really like the use of Di Maria (it shouldn't be surprising as I've pretty much mirrored it with Zé Roberto). I think the teams are quite close in terms of the personnel as well, if not for the elephant in the room – Darius Vassel trying to overwhelm my defense with pace, power and skill is not something that I'm really worried about. And Pat Jennings vs Carlo Cudicini is a "battle" that certainly tilts it my way, since Jennings is a genuine match-winner that can single-handedly win a game for you and I don't rate Cudicini as high as that.

I've made a compilation on Paul Reaney by the way, but it got blocked by a copyright strike. Hopefully the appeal will come through at some point and I'll be able to highlight him a bit more – but for the context, this is the toughest opponent that George Best had ever faced (by his own admission) & a player with 3rd most appearances for Leeds United (748) – all during the club's best ever era as well. He was really safe at the back and quite decent going forward – I won't pretend that he was Carlos Alberto, but he was making good overlapping runs, crosses, wasn't scared of dribbling past players or playing quick one-twos and, to my surprise, he also had a great long pass on him.

John Greig is also something that's worth highlighting more – after all, this is the greatest ever Ranger and he barely ever features in draft. Hopefully @Gio won't be again me posting his summary on him and his career here:
Gio said:
STATURE
  • Voted Rangers' Greatest Ever Player. 768 appearances and our most consistent player whilst Celtic romped to 9 in a row and the European Cup. Was part of the great Rangers team of the early 1960s, going close to winning the 1967 ECWC - losing to Bayern in Germany in the final - winning it in 1972, then finally knocking Celtic off their perch and winning 2 more trebles in the second half of the 1970s. Not out best player - Baxter, Laudrup and Gascoigne just had more class - but our greatest club man and stalwart for so long.
  • Greig was the figurehead for Rangers when the Ibrox disaster took place in 1971, when 66 lost their lives at the end of the New Year Old Firm derby. Like Dalglish with Hillsborough, he became the club's reference point in responding to the disaster and the emotional ballast for the support.
  • Worth highlighting the 1971/72 European Cup Winners Cup win included dispatching Bayern in the semi-final, who were pretty much in peak form by that point as we saw at Euro 72 and about to dominate the European Cup. IIRC Greig played the away leg in CM but was injured for the home leg.
  • First choice for Scotland in 43 of 46 internationals between 1964-1971. Bear in mind the competition - Billy Bremner, Dave Mackay, Jim Baxter, Bobby Muroch, Bertie Auld, Pat Crerand, Pat Stanton -- yet Greig outcapped them all by some distance. Fairly safe to say he was the finest right-half / defensive midfielder of the second half of the 1960s in Britain.
  • Scottish Player of the Year in 1965-66 (right-half) and 1975-76 (left-back).

POSITION

First and foremost a central midfielder. His position was right-half. He was versatile - started his career at inside-right before moving to right-half, then filled in at central defence on occasion thereafter. He had the nous and understanding of the game to drop into roles without missing a beat. His move to left-back in the 1970s was mostly because he was our best player in that position and there wasn't a great deal of alternatives. Still played admirably there, using his engine to get up and down the park and his midfield instincts to give-and-go, underlapping into the inside-left channels.

That's at 36.

STYLE

Like the majority of defensively responsible midfielders, most of his strengths were off the ball - reading the game, intercepting the ball, winning it, passing and supporting. Some of the footage I've watched, and the 1972 final v Dynamo Moscow an obvious example, he's often responsible for 'taking out the opposition's best player' - you'll remember him binning their star man after about 5 seconds, which was an instruction from the manager and permitted within the laxer refereeing of the time. You couldn't play in that era without having that side to your game, especially in the heart of midfield. Just on that Moscow game he was carrying a stress fracture in his foot towards the end of the 1971/72 season and I think only played the final with an injection, so his movement was much more limited than normal. But like Keane he was hugely influential on his teammates through his attitude and leadership on the park.

All of that said, he was a tidy player. Firstly a heavy goalscorer given his defensive responsibilities - scoring 120 goals during his career - and impressively belted a few in from long range.

And secondly to make another Keane comparison, from what I've seen his passing was pretty good - he could punch it into a forward's feet through the lines from 25 yards away, and he could carry the ball, play an accurate one-two and take it into his stride. A couple of good examples of his passing range off either foot away to Bayern here.

That gave him that vertical threat as well as being defensively solid in deeper areas. Good example would be his late winner v Italy in 1965.

There are also a couple of his compilations on my channel and hopefully I'll be able to make more in the future, I'm really interested in researching him. Sadly, there aren't that many footage of him available.

Šjor Bepo

both great teams but im going with synco...just insane amount of physicality and athleticism in that midfield/forward line and defensively is well suited to stop harms. Great set of fullbacks, plenty of workrate up front and most importantly Mascherano in DM spot who im not usually a fan but sits perfectly in this game where he can keep tabs on Law.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Zé Roberto's role resembles one of Di Maria under Ancelotti – a ball-carrying semi-attacking midfielder in a hybrid wide/central role, for which he is basically tailor-made.
Key player Di Maria reenacts his LCM/LW dual role from Real's 2014 side, offering either wide or central presence in cooperation with Vassell and Gemmell.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good luck @harms, our first encounter!

Good decision to change formation and include Ze Roberto imo, I was already sharpening the knives in the OP :D

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Good luck @harms, our first encounter!

Good decision to change formation and include Ze Roberto imo, I was already sharpening the knives in the OP :D
Yeah. That 4-4-2 was a poor decision in retrospective – I wanted to hurt Enigma on the wings as much as possible (since I was in a clear disadvantage from the start of that encounter), but I didn't really like the look of that team. This one feels much more balanced, even though it's not what I was building originally.

harms

Staff
It's probably my favourite tactical move of the decade, Ancelotti did what he does best – found the best system to make the most out of all of his best players. A shame that Di Maria doesn't seem to like this role very much, he played his best football that season.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah. That 4-4-2 was a poor decision in retrospective – I wanted to hurt Enigma on the wings as much as possible (since I was in a clear disadvantage from the start of that encounter), but I didn't really like the look of that team. This one feels much more balanced, even though it's not what I was building originally.
Yeah, much more balanced, and I just love Ze Roberto. Don't know your original plans, but with Chislenko/Ze on the wings and Sheva/Law through the middle I might have been tempted to vote for you.

This way I at least have something to nitpick about. Rashford is a good sheep but a difficult tactical fit with your two star forwards, imo.

harms

Staff
both great teams but im going with synco...just insane amount of physicality and athleticism in that midfield/forward line and defensively is well suited to stop harms. Great set of fullbacks, plenty of workrate up front and most importantly Mascherano in DM spot who im not usually a fan but sits perfectly in this game where he can keep tabs on Law.
I'm not seeing an insane amount of physicality and athleticism to be honest – nothing game-deciding anyway, considering my personnel. Gullit is obviously on another level, Gascoigne is great... Mascherano was hard as nails, but he was quite small (similar to Stiles, I'd say), Di Maria is also pretty much the opposite of an athlete.

Bobby "The Chopper" Murdoch was fecking huge, I can't see anyone outmuscling him. Zé Roberto wasn't yet a complete physical freak that he is today (he went a bit overboard with strength training), but he was always quite physical, much more so than Di Maria, for example. Sheva was an absolute unit, which was why he excelled in Serie A – he had combined his insane pace with strength of a proper target man, Law was no joke as well, although not quite as impressive physically. Don't forget Greig who absolutely relished in physical battles – if you count Gullit, you should definitely count him as well.

harms

Staff
This way I at least have something to nitpick about. Rashford is a good sheep but a difficult tactical fit with your two star forwards, imo.
Personally, I don't have any issues. There's no real problem with width on the left because of Zé/Greig unique partnership; Law is going to drop deeper quite a lot, he's fantastic and bringing others into the game and he often peeled out wide (more on the right than on the left IIRC); Sheva absolutely loved those wide channels where he could use his pace more. I've specifically picked an earlier version of him – closer to his second (Ballon d'Or) peak he began to spend a lot more time centrally, but this is the late Dynamo/early AC Milan menace that fits that front trio perfectly.

If you will elaborate more on your criticism, maybe I'll be able to answer those points directly.

Šjor Bepo

I'm not seeing an insane amount of physicality and athleticism to be honest – nothing game-deciding anyway, considering my personnel. Gullit is obviously on another level, Gascoigne is great... Mascherano was hard as nails, but he was quite small (similar to Stiles, I'd say), Di Maria is also pretty much the opposite of an athlete.

Bobby "The Chopper" Murdoch was fecking huge, I can't see anyone outmuscling him. Zé Roberto wasn't yet a complete physical freak that he is today (he went a bit overboard with strength training), but he was always quite physical, much more so than Di Maria, for example. Sheva was an absolute unit, which was why he excelled in Serie A – he had combined his insane pace with strength of a proper target man, Law was no joke as well, although not quite as impressive physically. Don't forget Greig who absolutely relished in physical battles – if you count Gullit, you should definitely count him as well.
meant the combination of athleticism(which is where Di Maria and Torres shine) and physicality, your isnt bad either tbf but Gullit and Gazza elevate sync to another level compared to yours(which is maybe unfair as we know feck all about Murdoch but is what it is). Being huge isnt really an advantage in a duel, if i had to pick 10 strongest players in a duel its probably only Yaya who would be in it from the big boys and maybe Van Dijk.
Just look at the PL currently, the most physical and strong player in the league is most likely Salah.

harms

Staff
meant the combination of athleticism(which is where Di Maria and Torres shine) and physicality, your isnt bad either tbf but Gullit and Gazza elevate sync to another level compared to yours(which is maybe unfair as we know feck all about Murdoch but is what it is). Being huge isnt really an advantage in a duel, if i had to pick 10 strongest players in a duel its probably only Yaya who would be in it from the big boys and maybe Van Dijk.
Just look at the PL currently, the most physical and strong player in the league is most likely Salah.
Well, if you look at athleticism in your definition, Rashford, Sheva and Zé are at absolute top level. Stiles is the definition of a gritty player that won't give you any room to breathe, very similar to Mascherano in that regard. Murdoch was outstanding in duels, I'd probably compare him to someone like van Hanegem (slightly less talented) in terms of his both physical appearance and playing style – and an absolutely intimidating presence on the pitch (ask Fergie if you don't believe me).

I just struggle to see where you see the game-winning difference here. I don't have a single weak player and most of them are close to the top on either one of your physicality/athleticism chart. Ruud Gullit stands out due to his, well, Gullit-ness (until you look at Shesternyov), but that's about it. There are many other areas on the pitch with a way clearer advantages.

Šjor Bepo

Well, if you look at athleticism in your definition, Rashford, Sheva and Zé are at absolute top level. Stiles is the definition of a gritty player that won't give you any room to breathe, very similar to Mascherano in that regard. Murdoch was outstanding in duels, I'd probably compare him to someone like van Hanegem (slightly less talented) in terms of his both physical appearance and playing style – and an absolutely intimidating presence on the pitch (ask Fergie if you don't believe me).

I just struggle to see where you see the game-winning difference here. I don't have a single weak player and most of them are close to the top on either one of your physicality/athleticism chart. Ruud Gullit stands out due to his, well, Gullit-ness (until you look at Shesternyov), but that's about it. There are many other areas on the pitch with a way clearer advantages.
as i said, its Gazza and Gullit that make the difference as the rest are fairly similar.
Regarding the game winning difference, i see syncs team in a better position to stop yours and can see three midfield runners(Gazza, Di Maria, Gullit) causing you enough problems to make something happen for sync.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Time for some posts on my key players' three-year peaks. In Gazza's case it's the 88/89 to 90/91 seasons at Tottenham, with the 1990 World Cup in between. This video from Sjor really opened my eyes on him as the complete package:

It's long, but the off-the-ball scenes make it especially worthwile. To me, Gazza's sheer athleticism, attitude, and his enormous physical presence against the ball stand out, in addition to him being a menace in attack. And skilled on top. Fabulous all-action midfielder, and the midfield three of him, Mascherano & Di Maria should blend together well in all phases of the game.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Next up Fernando Torres. Just a 10 minute reminder how good he was during his career peak at Liverpool, which is of course the version of him I play here.

Should be excellent with Gullit, Di Maria, Gazza, Gemmell providing quality service or joining the attack from behind.

Last edited:

harms

Staff

A good compilation that highlights Law's completeness. And of course there are @Joga Bonito 's works like this one against the World Cup winning England in 1967 – when you look at that performance you don't wonder why Best put Law on the wing (with Charlton centrally) in his best ever XI. This man is absolutely perfect for 2 wing forwards either side of him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Personally, I don't have any issues. There's no real problem with width on the left because of Zé/Greig unique partnership; Law is going to drop deeper quite a lot, he's fantastic and bringing others into the game and he often peeled out wide (more on the right than on the left IIRC); Sheva absolutely loved those wide channels where he could use his pace more. I've specifically picked an earlier version of him – closer to his second (Ballon d'Or) peak he began to spend a lot more time centrally, but this is the late Dynamo/early AC Milan menace that fits that front trio perfectly.

If you will elaborate more on your criticism, maybe I'll be able to answer those points directly.
It's not really strong criticism, just nitpicking at details, as I said.

Let me put it like this: When I think of role players to put your forward duo in an optimal position, "Rashford" wouldn't be the first name that came to my mind. Or a more established player with similar attributes. Accommodating all three requires some sort compromise, imo.

So in this case, Sheva is moved to RW. But the Ancelotti setup (with Ze Roberto in the hybrid role) is primarily designed to free up the LW. As I remember, Bale had to do more grafting out wide than he liked, and certainly more than Ronaldo. Gullit is still in his element there, because he relished in the traditional winger stuff as well. May not be the same for Sheva.

Second question is on the right back. Imo, Sheva's freedom to cut inside increases the more the RB can play like a modern attacking fullback. Like Carvajal behind Bale, offering winger attributes to free up the Welshman. I know zilch about Reany, is that one of his strengths? Since your comp has been blocked, I'll just go by your word on that.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Fantastic player. Pity how little he's known outside British football, I only really learned about him here on the Caf.

I also find it remarkable how some of the greatest 60s forwards (Law, Seeler, Greaves) played in a way that would make them seem modern even today.

Enigma_87

You know who
Tough to separate this.

I think @harms fixed a lot of the issues from the first game with these changes.

Rashford position and role seems a lot cleaner here and to me is much better in terms of synergy (the front three).

Sheva's position might look a bit odd on paper, but have no issues with him pulling that one and IMO he would do quite well there. Pity that Reaney compilation was taken down as I hoped to see what his attacking input would be like in a full game.

The inclusion of Ze Roberto and the dynamics with Greig seem to tick another box for me on that left channel.

As for @Synco - seems very similar approach and lots to like especially in defence - good to see Buchan having an outing, haven't seen him being picked before.

Midfield looks good and it's playing to their strengths.

Only downside is Vassell. Don't like him as a player, don't rate him either. Is he a sheep in this setup? And wasn't there an other choice in the roster?

harms

Staff
So in this case, Sheva is moved to RW. But the Ancelotti setup (with Ze Roberto in the hybrid role) is primarily designed to free up the LW. As I remember, Bale had to do more grafting out wide than he liked, and certainly more than Ronaldo. Gullit is still in his element there, because he relished in the traditional winger stuff as well. May not be the same for Sheva.

Then there's question of the right back. Imo, Sheva's freedom to cut inside increases the more the RB can play like a modern attacking fullback. Like Carvajal behind Bale, offering winger attributes to free up the Welshman. I know zilch about Reany, is that one of his strengths? Since your comp has been blocked, I'll just go by your word on that.
Rashford works a lot more off the ball than Ronaldo did. And Sheva of that time-period is a brilliant fit for that role and this is a role that I wanted to play him in for a while. Playing off another, more central number 9 like Protasov or Weah, dropping deep and peeling out wide – before inevitably finding himself in or around the box and scoring. Of course, first and foremost Sheva is associated with AC Milan and Italian football, but don't forget that he was formed as a player under Lobanovsky, his last great creation and a modern interpretation of Blokhin – stronger, more efficient and prolific version that fits better into the 90's (Blokhin was more elegant and artistic, but they share all of main qualities that were so important for Lobanovsky – including work-rate, versatility, high mobility and willingness to move out wide to exploit free space).

Paul Reaney is quite similar to Carvajal in terms of his attributes, I'd say. Slightly more defensive, of course, but overall – a strong and all-rounded full back who did participate in the attacking phase quite often (and with some success). It's not only my word (and my blocked compilation) – in a rare and hardly readable profile on him by Leeds United fans you can see this description:
He was remembered fondly by Leeds fans for his pinpoint crosses, goal-line clearances, overlapping runs and just for being there as the player whose profile was possibly the lowest of all Revie's great players, yet who ended up third in the club's all-time appearance list, with only Jack Charlton and Billy Bremner having played more games for United than Reaney. Football remembers him as the strong, silent, untroublesome one in a great and controversial team
Virtually ever-present at Leeds, he was dubbed "Speedy" for his quickness to overlap into attack and knock in teasing centres for his forwards. He was rated as one of the top markers of his day, as George Best would have to admit, being constantly subdued by the impressive right-back
http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/players_profiles/R/ReaneyP.php

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Two excellent teams.

Harms central defence and midfield looks fantastic. Ze Roberto is a good addition but I think he could do better on both flanks, on full backs and on wide players.

On first thoughts Synco's midfield looks a bit weak defensively as ball winning falls exclusively on Masch. But with AdM and Gullit's workrate and all the bodies out there they should be able to cope up.

Have gone with Synco since I believe he has that extra bit of creativity in the middle to shade this. Tough call this.

harms

Staff
Is he a sheep in this setup? And wasn't there an other choice in the roster?
He was given as a sheep in the English squad round and Synco has to play him – otherwise I'd imagine that he'd started Keizer.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
lots to like especially in defence - good to see Buchan having an outing, haven't seen him being picked before.
Cheers, Buchan was the revelation for me in this drafting effort.
Only downside is Vassell. Don't like him as a player, don't rate him either. Is he a sheep in this setup? And wasn't there an other choice in the roster?
Yep :D
And wasn't there an other choice in the roster?
Nope. My whole setup is actually designed to diminish his importance. Dark side Ancelotti. All basic functions are settled without him*, he can just roam around and work his magic.

* in possession

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That Ze Roberto inclusion was nice. He adds a spark of creativity, and also unpredictability to Harms midfield. His attackers are more creative also.

Vasell and Torres are just too similar, unfortunately. Although Synco's midfield plus Gullit are more creative.

Never thought before about di Maria and Ze Roberto being similar. That's an excellent comparison.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
On first thoughts Synco's midfield looks a bit weak defensively as ball winning falls exclusively on Masch. But with AdM and Gullit's workrate and all the bodies out there they should be able to cope up.
I'd recommend watching Gascoigne's match comp on this. (Or at least parts, as it's 25 minutes long :lol:) Tireless runner, hard-tackling bastard, strong and fast, workhorse mentality. Really something I'd love to become more known around here, regardless of this particular match.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Paul Reaney is quite similar to Carvajal in terms of his attributes, I'd say.
Cheers for the detailed reply on Sheva & Reaney - if that's the case, there's really no issue with the setup as a whole.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Vasell and Torres are just too similar, unfortunately.
As little as I want to praise Vassell, he was actually deployed as a winger throughout stretches of his career. So he has that side to him, which comes in handy next to semi-wingers like Gullit and Di Maria who want to enjoy time in the center as well.

Himannv

I think Vassell was a bad sheep to end up with and I feel like it's a drop of quality in a key area. I mean, he's literally stepping in for Cristiano Ronaldo in this setup. Not overly enamored by Cudicini in goal either - I mean @harms is fielding Pat Jennings there.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think Vassell was a bad sheep to end up with and I feel like it's a drop of quality in a key area. I mean, he's literally stepping in for Cristiano Ronaldo in this setup.
Absolutely.

But despite the little quip at the beginning of my OP, he's not actually the Ronaldo replacement. He mainly has a supporting/balancing function. Key parts here:
Obvious difference to the original is the main scorer being the CF, with the left-sided FW in a supporting role.
My whole setup is actually designed to diminish his importance. Dark side Ancelotti. All basic functions are settled without him*, he can just roam around and work his magic.

* in possession
So if Di Maria goes inside, he might move out to provide width. If Gemmell is already there, he might attack the box. And so on.

Not overly enamored by Cudicini in goal either - I mean @harms is fielding Pat Jennings there.
All complaints to @Šjor Bepo. I had Buffon until late in the draft.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
To get on with the lesser known players a bit: here's an all touch compilation of Martin Buchan in United's FA cup win at Wembley in 1977. Some will have already seen it in the match compilation thread, but I think it's good to post it once more. Imo, he is among the players (like Greig, as it seems) who could well feature more in future drafts.

Some remarks on Buchan and this final:
Buchan was the leading figure for the first half of United's twilight years pre-Fergie. From what I can conceive, he does belong in the line of great post-Trinity captains - continuing with Robson, Cantona, Keane -, even though the team itself was far from remarkable during his prime years. This game seems like a great overall showcase for his abilities as a defender and his leadership as a captain. He even displays a wee bit of "that" attitude when he demonstratively refuses to help up Keegan at 1:00 :D

Buchan plays through a knee injury here, as mentioned several times by the commentators. In the first half he doesn't seem impeded. He marks Liverpool's superstar Keegan closely, in alternation with Brian Greenhoff, who has a great game as well. Most of the time the pacy Liverpool forward is either subdued or can only pass the ball on. (But he also manages to win a few duels and emanate some danger.)

Here, Buchan's capabilities are clearly visible: wide-ranging movement, good pace and agility, great anticipation, forceful and well-timed interventions, and an impressive aerial game despite his average height. (Keegan is even less tall, but has quite some aerial presence himself.) Buchan also shows good passing range with both feet, although he isn't really successful with his long balls that day.

During the course of the second half, his mobility seems to decline, and he even slumps in pain after coming down from a jump (at 11:17). During the latter stages of the game he often retreats to a defensive sweeper position. (Although it has to be said that the game is changing as a whole by then, as Liverpool is ramping up the pressure.) He still throws himself into duels, clears balls and wins headers, but rarely shows the aggressive outward runs from earlier parts of the game. He's also a step behind at times compared to the first half, where he was mostly a step ahead.

All in all a magnificent performance against the English & European champions. Buchan lifts the only big title of his United career, spoiling Liverpool's treble that year. The full game footage also highlights beautifully what a massive event a Wembley final was in those days.

Finally, a gem from the smashing "Play Better Soccer with Kevin Keegan" card game that says it all:

--------------------
@harms and everyone else: what would be a good full game to watch Shesternyov at his best?

Last edited:

harms

Staff
@harms and everyone else: what would be a good full game to watch Shesternyov at his best?
Tbf any big tournament game from 1966 to 1970 would do. A game against Italy from 1968, for example? But make sure to turn it off before the final coin-toss* :lol:

I've just done a compilation of his game against Paul van Himst's Belgium where he didn't put a foot wrong. He usually played in 4-men defenses, but in this tournament he was more often used as a pure sweeper behind 4 players.

Looks like FIFA decided only to take all the profit from this video instead of blocking it, hopefully this doesn't change in a few hours!

* it obviously was not televised

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
As little as I want to praise Vassell, he was actually deployed as a winger throughout stretches of his career. So he has that side to him, which comes in handy next to semi-wingers like Gullit and Di Maria who want to enjoy time in the center as well.
His goalscoring record is so bad, and i don't really associate him as creative player either. Sjor really screwed you with that sheep. Just keep that in mind forever.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
His goalscoring record is so bad, and i don't really associate him as creative player either. Sjor really screwed you with that sheep. Just keep that in mind forever.
Nah.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'd recommend watching Gascoigne's match comp on this. (Or at least parts, as it's 25 minutes long :lol:) Tireless runner, hard-tackling bastard, strong and fast, workhorse mentality. Really something I'd love to become more known around here, regardless of this particular match.
Just watched Sjor's Arsenal match compilation of Gazza. You were right, I somehow didn't remember him playing that deep. He certainly would fit in well in that midfield. Can appreciate it a bit more now.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
To get on with the lesser known players a bit: here's an all touch compilation of Martin Buchan in United's FA cup win at Wembley in 1977. Some will have already seen it in the match compilation thread, but I think it's good to post it once more. Imo, he is among the players (like Greig, as it seems) who could well feature more in future drafts.

Some remarks on Buchan and this final:
Buchan was the leading figure for the first half of United's twilight years pre-Fergie. From what I can conceive, he does belong in the line of great post-Trinity captains - continuing with Robson, Cantona, Keane -, even though the team itself was far from remarkable during his prime years. This game seems like a great overall showcase for his abilities as a defender and his leadership as a captain. He even displays a wee bit of "that" attitude when he demonstratively refuses to help up Keegan at 1:00 :D

Buchan plays through a knee injury here, as mentioned several times by the commentators. In the first half he doesn't seem impeded. He marks Liverpool's superstar Keegan closely, in alternation with Brian Greenhoff, who has a great game as well. Most of the time the pacy Liverpool forward is either subdued or can only pass the ball on. (But he also manages to win a few duels and emanate some danger.)

Here, Buchan's capabilities are clearly visible: wide-ranging movement, good pace and agility, great anticipation, forceful and well-timed interventions, and an impressive aerial game despite his average height. (Keegan is even less tall, but has quite some aerial presence himself.) Buchan also shows good passing range with both feet, although he isn't really successful with his long balls that day.

During the course of the second half, his mobility seems to decline, and he even slumps in pain after coming down from a jump (at 11:17). During the latter stages of the game he often retreats to a defensive sweeper position. (Although it has to be said that the game is changing as a whole by then, as Liverpool is ramping up the pressure.) He still throws himself into duels, clears balls and wins headers, but rarely shows the aggressive outward runs from earlier parts of the game. He's also a step behind at times compared to the first half, where he was mostly a step ahead.

All in all a magnificent performance against the English & European champions. Buchan lifts the only big title of his United career, spoiling Liverpool's treble that year. The full game footage also highlights beautifully what a massive event a Wembley final was in those days.

Finally, a gem from the smashing "Play Better Soccer with Kevin Keegan" card game that says it all:

--------------------
Great post.

harms

Staff
Good game @Synco. It's really a testament to your drafting abilities to be able to make a likeable and workable team with Darius fecking Vassel in it!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good game @Synco. It's really a testament to your drafting abilities to be able to make a likeable and workable team with Darius fecking Vassel in it!
Thanks, I really thought hard how to nullify his importance :lol:

Tough draft, essentially had to play two sheep and couldn't get any of my scrapped star players back.

Good luck going forward, your team is excellent already, despite starting out with the shittiest draft pool of all. But I fear there are fresh shenanigans waiting for you guys...