Opinion: Upcoming Season Is Going To Be Tough

Tyrion

As things stand, with the players and manager we have, we'll finish 4th behind Liverpool, City and Chelsea. Arsenal and Spurs I don't think are good enough to finish above us.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think 2020 Manchester united is where we are at with a full squad. Our problems begin when we run into a number of injuries.

The first XI closes the gap to Liverpool and Manchester City more or less, but the bench is our downfall. The dropoff is just SO big in some positions. The only great substitution we have off the bench is Fred for Matic, other than that its players that will do very well in scrappy games against middle to low tier teams.

Yes. And I am not even sure which are the scrappy games the likes of Dalot and Lingard can handle. We struggle with bottom of EPL tesms with them

Was you really expecting five players? Three of those for the first 11?

Your living in fantasy land.
Ha! Expect - no, but that is kindof what we need to actually challenge for a title?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We need to sign Sancho to at least keep up with Chelsea, and we need to sign a few more to challenge for title.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m not buying this ‘realistically, we aren’t going to catch Liverpool or City anyway’. It’s typical caf ‘I’d be surprised if we get anything on Saturday’ (with Saturday being a game against Crystal Palace or something).

Liverpool came from 4th to within one point of the title in one season. But more importantly than that - team progression isn’t some sort of formula that is calculated every August and after that, closed until the next summer. In 2020, we’ve been able to box with City and Liverpool in terms of form in the main. We’ve already closed the gap significantly over the course of the season.

Also, the notion that we won’t strengthen the squad is again, typical dramatics. We have repeatedly spoken of our intention to do so. And regardless, you would imagine that we won’t lose Pogba for the entire season this time, and hopefully not suffer long-term injuries to the forwards too. We also have Bruno from the start, and as it stands - Smalling back.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Do we really need these threads? Say we bought a couple of players which we have weeks to do we’ll have a few more “we’re the dark horses for the CL” or whatever threads. This place is so fickle and overreacts far too much in certain moments. We’ve got a good young team and if we get some reinforcements who knows where we can finish. Threads like this are pointless unless they’re at the end of the window and we haven’t signed anyone.

OleTheGreat

I feel so so bad for Ole.. The structure has been so bad at the club for so long. SAF was a sole driver at this club who take care of everything within the club including attracting players to identifying the best ones to suit his style of play but since he left, we've been struggling with the signings and management of the squad. Our football hasn't really been any great. We were so aggressive during those times and other clubs feared playing against us but now we're fighting amongst teams like Sevilla n Inter in the Europa league (no offense to both teams) but I expect us to be a club that guarantees top4 every season and at least a run till the semi finals in the CL every year and in order for that to happen, we need a structural change in the club. As mentioned so many times, we need a DoF. Secondly, our scout network is a scam. I can tell you at least 15-20 names from the top of my head without actually looking at the player in real. I also know what they're worth and they're perfectly suited for our style of football but no we have to go for the big names, push and push until nothing happens and then panic and buy crap by overpaying. United are scammed by every other club in the world and r overpaying for everyone except of course the most recent one (Bruno) who I feel is worth more than what we paid for him. Regardless of the signings we make, it is going to be really tough this up coming season. One and 2 injuries and we're doomed. Forget top 4 and we'll probably be back in the Europa from the CL in the same season. These are my nightmares and I really wish they don't happen to us ever.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I feel so so bad for Ole.. The structure has been so bad at the club for so long. SAF was a sole driver at this club who take care of everything within the club including attracting players to identifying the best ones to suit his style of play but since he left, we've been struggling with the signings and management of the squad. Our football hasn't really been any great. We were so aggressive during those times and other clubs feared playing against us but now we're fighting amongst teams like Sevilla n Inter in the Europa league (no offense to both teams) but I expect us to be a club that guarantees top4 every season and at least a run till the semi finals in the CL every year and in order for that to happen, we need a structural change in the club. As mentioned so many times, we need a DoF. Secondly, our scout network is a scam. I can tell you at least 15-20 names from the top of my head without actually looking at the player in real. I also know what they're worth and they're perfectly suited for our style of football but no we have to go for the big names, push and push until nothing happens and then panic and buy crap by overpaying. United are scammed by every other club in the world and r overpaying for everyone except of course the most recent one (Bruno) who I feel is worth more than what we paid for him. Regardless of the signings we make, it is going to be really tough this up coming season. One and 2 injuries and we're doomed. Forget top 4 and we'll probably be back in the Europa from the CL in the same season. These are my nightmares and I really wish they don't happen to us ever.
Go on then, hit us with the names and transfer fees required to purchase them.

rollingstoned1

I’m not buying this ‘realistically, we aren’t going to catch Liverpool or City anyway’. It’s typical caf ‘I’d be surprised if we get anything on Saturday’ (with Saturday being a game against Crystal Palace or something).

Liverpool came from 4th to within one point of the title in one season. But more importantly than that - team progression isn’t some sort of formula that is calculated every August and after that, closed until the next summer. In 2020, we’ve been able to box with City and Liverpool in terms of form in the main. We’ve already closed the gap significantly over the course of the season.

Also, the notion that we won’t strengthen the squad is again, typical dramatics. We have repeatedly spoken of our intention to do so. And regardless, you would imagine that we won’t lose Pogba for the entire season this time, and hopefully not suffer long-term injuries to the forwards too. We also have Bruno from the start, and as it stands - Smalling back.
agreed with that. you'd think after years of watching the game people would realize that just like player progression, team progression isn't linear. This is also why it's meaningless to read too much into absolute statistics without context like the total points in a season. Improvement is as much subjective as objective, if not more imo.

buckooo1978

It's going to be tough for sure and there will be huge pressure on Ole to coach more out of some players

Improvements in Maguire, Lindelof, Williams and Wan Bissaka could make a huge difference to our side and if Bailly can stay fit (he won't)

not sure if we can squeeze any more out of our attackers.

I'm not sure if any of the youth players are ready to step up either

Our saving grace is that Arsenal are Arsenal and Spurs have Mourinho. Can Leicester replicate what they did last year.

All very disappointing and it feels like the momentum Ole has built has faded away.

Lentwood

On the plus side, our form since lockdown proves that our best XI is capable of finishing top 3 fairly comfortably

On the negative side, our form prior to lockdown proves that our squad depth is non-existent and a few injuries in key positions will see us returned to scrapping for top 6

What we really need (and is also achievable) is one superstar signing (Sancho), one bargain buy (which we are notoriously rubbish at) and one/two young players to make the step up and push for starting positions like Brandon Williams did this season.

meamth

I'm a firm believer in youth and their potential.

Based on their upwards growth last season, they will significantly be better as individuals and a unit.

Since Fergie retired, this is the only United team that will improve.

Agreed, next season might be tougher, but rest assured our kids will be better players.

buckooo1978

The most disappointing thing is that Ole pushed our first team into the red because he didn't trust players like James, Dalot, Ighalo, Pereira, Lingard, Mata

We'll need to rely on these players next year as fatigue is going to kick in early based on the strange season and break we've ahead of us

You can't rotate in the CL like you can in the Europa

Siorac

Well, sort of. Our post-lockdown form of 6-3-0 (of a generally very forgiving fixture list) would translate to an 88 points season. Which would have been nowhere near enough to compete in the last three seasons. With injuries, tougher games mixed in, and our general tendency under Ole to go on long runs of poor form once we lose momentum, 80 points look a more realistic scenario (and still a very optimistic one, I might add).

That means that for us to actually compete, the top two have to significantly regress. There is always a chance of that, of course, but the point is that if either team gets 95+ points again, we'll be nowhere near with the current squad. With the Sancho transfer looking increasingly unlikely, it's hard to see what signings we could make that would significantly change our prospects. So I think it's better to just expect another fight for top 4, something we've become accustomed to anyway.

cyberman

Well, sort of. Our post-lockdown form of 6-3-0 (of a generally very forgiving fixture list) would translate to an 88 points season. Which would have been nowhere near enough to compete in the last three seasons. With injuries, tougher games mixed in, and our general tendency under Ole to go on long runs of poor form once we lose momentum, 80 points look a more realistic scenario (and still a very optimistic one, I might add).

That means that for us to actually compete, the top two have to significantly regress. There is always a chance of that, of course, but the point is that if either team gets 95+ points again, we'll be nowhere near with the current squad. With the Sancho transfer looking increasingly unlikely, it's hard to see what signings we could make that would significantly change our prospects. So I think it's better to just expect another fight for top 4, something we've become accustomed to anyway.
City got a lot less than 88 points last season.
With next years schedule, nobody is getting 90 plus points imo

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
On the plus side, our form since lockdown proves that our best XI is capable of finishing top 3 fairly comfortably

On the negative side, our form prior to lockdown proves that our squad depth is non-existent and a few injuries in key positions will see us returned to scrapping for top 6

What we really need (and is also achievable) is one superstar signing (Sancho), one bargain buy (which we are notoriously rubbish at) and one/two young players to make the step up and push for starting positions like Brandon Williams did this season.
Things like this always assume that we are going to be the ones with tests while it is guaranteed that rivals will always be the best version of themselves every week. The serious injuries that affected us last season could well be suffered by rivals too.

And out form prior lockdown was good anyway and we were already the best team in the land before the break, and that’s without Pogba and Rashford, and Greenwood on the bench. And Smalling, who is also back now.

Siorac

And they didn't compete for the title. They didn't stand a chance. Recent history and simply looking at the respective squads suggest they're also far more likely to get back above 90 points than we are.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If we can't get Sancho, we should just spend some quid on squad depth this season and ship out more deadwood.

Seemingly everyone agrees our first XI is good enough to maintain top 3 - form proves it. Injuries aside.

So clear more deadwood (Mata, Lingard, Rojo, Jones, Pereira), sign some options that will improve competition (I'm sure there are reasonable options available around Europe) and we can at least maintain the top 3 push - and maybe even sign a starting DM like Partey (who has a release clause that is "reasonable" iirc).

Sign Sancho and a CB next year when there's more clarity on financials in the post COVID world (and Sancho has only 1 year left).

Banana Republic

Apart from the lack of quality in the squad depth, we’re too much of a physically weak team to make the grade.
When you have players in a likely starting 11, like Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Mata and Lingard (god help us), who can’t and won’t aggressively press, challenge or even closely mark or close down opposition players, then we won’t scare anybody and mid table and weaker teams will continue to fancy their chances against us.
Once again, I can see too many draws and occasional losses to the lower ranked teams, preventing us being a nailed on certainty for top 4.
It’s going to be a frustrating season unless this serious deficiency is addressed pronto, irrespective of who we bring in this transfer window.

p.s. Arsenal are being dismissed too easily IMHO. They‘re strengthening and improving and it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re in the frame for a top 5 finish.

Last edited:

cyberman

And they didn't compete for the title. They didn't stand a chance. Recent history and simply looking at the respective squads suggest they're also far more likely to get back above 90 points than we are.
But City got 99 odd points the year before, it shows how hard it is to sustain.
Both Manchester sides are highly unlikely to get 90 points plus next year to be honest. Pep has a job on his hands.

Infra-red

We'll obviously be nowhere near City/Liverpool. The question is, can we keep pace with Chelsea?

We have to wait until the transfer window shuts, before making firm predictions, but judging by the the way it has been conducted so far, 4th place is the limit of our aspirations for next year.

RkkMan

But you somehow think Utd will miraculously get 80+ points next season or LFC/City will suddenly have this meltdown and everything will fall into place for us? Extremely wishful thinking considering Chelsea are already miles ahead of us on paper and even if the top 2 regress they will still likely get 80+ points something which will take the God of Footballs working in our favor in form of a perfect storm in terms of fitness and key players taking their game to the next level for it to happen. We won`t just jump from 66 points to a top 2 team without investment or sustainability and our form since the Southampton game has been dodgy at best I fail so see how it all just turns around with the snap of a finger

cyberman

But you somehow think Utd will miraculously get 80+ points next season or LFC/City will suddenly have this meltdown and everything will fall into place for us? Extremely wishful thinking considering Chelsea are already miles ahead of us on paper and even if the top 2 regress they will still likely get 80+ points something which will take the God of Footballs working in our favor in form of a perfect storm in terms of fitness and key players taking their game to the next level for it to happen. We won`t just jump from 66 points to a top 2 team without investment or sustainability and our form since the Southampton game has been dodgy at best I fail so see how it all just turns around with the snap of a finger
It wont take a City meltdown for us to get closer to them.
City arent in the level where you can group them with Liverpool anymore. Its a side who now loses a shit tonne of matches.
A full season of Bruno, Mason continues to improve, Pogba and Marcus doesnt get long term injueis and we will simply pick up more points than last year.

CG1010

If we don't get anyone then we are definitely in for a very difficult season, likely out of top 4. But even if we get 1-2 players, we don't know what the impact will be. In 2006, we just got Carrick and the whole team transformed. We certainly have good potential and talent across the first XI.

RkkMan

City arent in the level where you can group them with Liverpool anymore. Its a side who now loses a shit tonne of matches.
A full season of Bruno, Mason continues to improve, Pogba and Marcus doesnt get long term injueis and we will simply pick up more points than last year.
15 points is still a very big gap to cover especially when this City team will make 4 additions minimum including reinforcing their defence with Koulibaly whilst we are banking on our youngsters to improve without a proper support system of depth. You can`t expect them to maintain the same form week in week out when we don`t have ample back ups to rotate them with and with us getting CL football we`ll rotate less than next season and fatigue/injuries will kick in again. After summer 2018 we were all saying these same things of a perfect storm happening for us to be okay and we went from 2nd to 6th if we even finish in the top 4 it will be a massive shock

cyberman

15 points is still a very big gap to cover especially when this City team will make 4 additions minimum including reinforcing their defence with Koulibaly whilst we are banking on our youngsters to improve without a proper support system of depth. You can`t expect them to maintain the same form week in week out when we don`t have ample back ups to rotate them with and with us getting CL football we`ll rotate less than next season and fatigue/injuries will kick in again. After summer 2018 we were all saying these same things of a perfect storm happening for us to be okay and we went from 2nd to 6th if we even finish in the top 4 it will be a massive shock
Thats you putting your pessimism on the club though. I cant answer for that

RkkMan

Thats you putting your pessimism on the club though. I cant answer for that
Its not pessimism its being realistic. I don`t do blind faith unless there is something to show for it. We aren`t like Liverpool who despite losing the CL in 2018 you could see how formidable they looked, how good their form was and their philosophy with them even Stevie Wonder could see they are a force. I`m not seeing anything bar flashes from this Utd team to think we will follow the same suit this coming season and go on an incredible run without investment and at some point a better manager. More similarities to 18/19 Utd than 17/18 Liverpool

Lentwood

Things like this always assume that we are going to be the ones with tests while it is guaranteed that rivals will always be the best version of themselves every week. The serious injuries that affected us last season could well be suffered by rivals too.

And out form prior lockdown was good anyway and we were already the best team in the land before the break, and that’s without Pogba and Rashford, and Greenwood on the bench. And Smalling, who is also back now.
My post doesn't assume our rivals will be the best version(s) of themselves - the opposite really.

My point is Chelsea and City have two good players in every position so are better positioned to handle an injury crisis. I don't think Liverpool would cope well with an injury crisis but since they seem to HAVE HAD a far superior scouting and analyst team/structure to us, they have managed to identify players who rarely get injured.

Nikelesh Reddy

Arsenal and Spurs sucked unusually bad last season and Chelsea was in a lot of trouble due to the transfer ban. We should expect that they will all try to fix their problems. Sure, the whole COVID situation is a problem and nobody has enough money, anymore, but we can't expect them to not do much better. Mourinho, Arteta, and Lampard all need to prove themselves at their new clubs. They will give up a fight.

We have clear problems at a whole bunch of positions that will quickly catch up with us if we don't make 3+ major signings and get some bench players in addition.

Chances are we won't do enough, though. And I don't think we can get lucky twice in a row. We did get lucky this year to make it to top 4.

What do you think are the chances that Woodward will actually get Ole the players we need so we can stop being so fragile and inconsistent?
I expect us to finish 3rd or 4th again...I don’t think we”ll able to compete with the top 2,but we certainly should be good enough to finish 3rd or 4th.Since SAF retired we haven’t finished in the top 4 consecutively,so in sone ways finishing in the top 4 again would represent steady progress,but we obviously have to claw down the gap to the big 2...

Zed 101

Unless we make some decent signings throughout then yes it is going to be tough we will aim for 4th because Chelsea have taken strides ahead of us, Liverpool signing Thiago is going to make them stronger, Man city who knows but cannot see them being threatened by us

always_hoping

Our starting 11 is pretty good with some holes, our depth is non-existent for the most part. Add CL football to a busy league schedule this season, and you have a recipe for a really poor year unless we do something in the transfer market. Can't even blame Ole for it if it doesn't go well. As it stands I don't think we'll get top 4, unless we make some reinforcements.
The way I see it also.

Last two United managers complained about the lack of transfer activity yet 26 players was signed under Van Gaal, Mourinho. Ole in December 2018 was given a squad full of dead wood yet the board has only given him 5 signings thus far and one was a 30 year old on loan from the China league.

shaky

Not sure why there's so much pessimism. We finished 3rd last season despite fielding a fairly poor XI for a significant part of it. Even with no signings, I'd be confident of repeating that, but with a higher points total. With decent signings, we can challenge the top 2. Chelsea will be better, but still have glaring holes. Liverpool will probably suffer more than most with the lack of home supporters.

soralapio

Yes it will, because they already had their meltdown this season and United were still 25 points away from them. If they return to anything approaching normalcy next season, we'll be left in the dust.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If we sign Sancho alone I think we’ll be fine & comfortable securing top 4.
This is a seductive thought that I'd really like to believe but I find it hard to. On bad days (of which there will be quite a few) you have to grind out victories. I'm not convinced a fancy winger will help us do that. We need a mean central defence and a dynamo midfielder screening everything.

Steve 007

I’m going start with the positives.
let’s start with Fernandez, since he signed we’ve been in top two form. Where would we have been if we had him since the beginning of the season? Pogba is back and although I personally don’t find him likeable he makes a difference to the team, in a huge positive way, that’s two top players that our midfield didn’t have for the first half of the season.

Next our front 3, Greenwood is very young, he scored 17 goals and potentially he is as good in a few years as anyone in world football, Martial had a great second half to the season and will only get better, Rashford was one of the few glowing lights until his injury.
The defence with AWB and Maguire had on paper a great season only being bettered by Liverpool and City with competition for the goalkeeper spot we should improve again. Hopefully we will get a good centre back to add some competition and raise the level again.
On paper and when not tired our first 11 can compete with anyone and we have.

I do think Chelsea have made great signings and I don’t see this as a bad thing for us because it means we need to do some business to compete. I have faith in Ole that he makes the right signings, not so much faith in woody though.
I also fear that burn out and lack of squad depth could absolutely kill us so I’d like more, I feel a great centre back a right winger and another creative quality midfielder is what we need. I don’t think we need 5/6 players.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is a seductive thought that I'd really like to believe but I find it hard to. On bad days (of which there will be quite a few) you have to grind out victories. I'm not convinced a fancy winger will help us do that. We need a mean central defence and a dynamo midfielder screening everything.
The thought is based on our form ever since Bruno came.
14 games: 9W, 5D, 0L
14 games: 30 goals scored, 9 clean sheets & 7 goals conceded.

Defensively we are 3rd best in the league. Not saying it’s good enough for title challenger but it’s good enough for top 4 challenger level. Based on how we performed ever since we signed Bruno, we are still more favourite candidate to achieve top 4 than Arsenal & Spurs.

With Bruno playing half season only while Pogba (not injury prone) being injured for more than half season, we still managed to collect 66 points. Imagine if both of them play full season and we add Sancho into our squad, I think we can easily get 10 to 15 extra points easily which is around 76-81 points. Anything closed or around 80 points means it‘s comfortable in securing top 4 nowadays.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
With Bruno playing half season only while Pogba (not injury prone) being injured for more than half season, we still managed to collect 66 points. Imagine if both of them play full season and we add Sancho into our squad
Well it's not impossible that this is how it plays out. You might be right.

My own feeling is that the Bruno effect faded as clubs wised up to his play and he also ran out of gas. We need both him and Pogba on song together and in sync in the final third to scoop up points like that, so they need a really good holding midfielder to break up the play behind them. Matic is too slow. Scottie is too green and Fred isn't really that kind of player - he's more a rotation for Pogba. So we need an Owen Hargreaves or a Kanté type of signing to make this work.

If not Pogba and Bruno will be pulled deeper and the front three will be twiddling their thumbs.

Tiber

We don't have a hope in hell of being competitive. Even signing Sancho wouldn't be enough to close the existing gap and Chelsea are surging past us.

Even beyond Liverpool, City and Chelsea no doubt all getting better, Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to start as badly as they did last year - Jose won't faceplant for another year or two

We need significant investment, both in terms of starters and depth - but it just won't happen.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well it's not impossible that this is how it plays out. You might be right.

My own feeling is that the Bruno effect faded as clubs wised up to his play and he also ran out of gas. We need both him and Pogba on song together and in sync in the final third to scoop up points like that, so they need a really good holding midfielder to break up the play behind them. Matic is too slow. Scottie is too green and Fred isn't really that kind of player - he's more a rotation for Pogba. So we need an Owen Hargreaves or a Kanté type of signing to make this work.

If not Pogba and Bruno will be pulled deeper and the front three will be twiddling their thumbs.
That’s why I said we need to sign Sancho for it not just Bruno & Pogba to also improve our final third to ‘’scoop up points like that’‘. Sancho is providing the creativity on the width that we are currently lacking and don’t have. He’ll not just be our winger and provide competition in the front three but can also help Pogba & Bruno to take the burden off from their shoulder so we don’t need to rely on them only to create chances.

We‘ve been doing fine with McT, Fred & Matic. You are making it sounds like we need to upgrade the holding midfielder to the level of challenging the league when those three are fine for top 4 challenger spot.