OranjeCafe: The Netherlands at the World Cup

Gorefest

De Jong being out is very frustrating, even though he wasn't pulling up trees (only 8 tackles in 4 games?!), not sure if Blind can be as good.
Not a chance, with De Jong in the field Mexico wouldn't have scored that goal. Blind was just tracking, tracking, tracking, until Dos Santos found an angle to shoot. De Jong would have laid into him as soon as he picked up the ball. Blind is not a sweeper, he is no like-for-like replacement. Totally different player.

The Farmer

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Well, I have BMI there as a defensive midfielder, he will provide that extra security lock to Holland's defence.

Wijnaldum is more of an attacking midfielder which I think we don't need against Argentina's defence. Especially since we have Blind, Sneijder, DePay providing crosses and incisive passes.

But hey, whether BMI or Wijnaldum plays, it is up to LvG in the end, we are just guessing here.
Hmm I think we have to put pressure on the Argentina back line, hence Wijnaldum with a more attacking role.
Too bad we don't have many solid defensive midfielders though...Blind wasn't so strong vs the agile players of Chili and Mexico.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
European vs Latin teams in WC Final will be interesting. Although seems like France has better players, but would like to see Netherlands in the Final (for the obvious reason).

The loss of de Jong is a big blow for the Dutch, as the Mexicans seemed easily cut open their midfield in the last game.

VanUtd

Supports
Feyenoord
He played as CB, didn't he? And he looked slow against Mexico.
Everybody looked slow against Mexico. Hell, I'm slowing down when there is 3 hours of continuous sunlight in Holland. Can't imagine what my body would do if I'd have to play football in a jungle.

I meant that Vlaar is a rock, much like De Jong was in MF. At least we still have one rock left.

FromTheBench

Will be interesting what LVG does now in De Jong's absence.

Bring in De Guzman/Clasie as DM's with Blind LWB and Kuyt as RWB is what i would do probably assuming the same 3-5-2 formation.

Though against Costa Rica i think they should bring in Depay on the left with Robben on the right and go 4-3-3 from the start.

FromTheBench

Not a chance, with De Jong in the field Mexico wouldn't have scored that goal. Blind was just tracking, tracking, tracking, until Dos Santos found an angle to shoot. De Jong would have laid into him as soon as he picked up the ball. Blind is not a sweeper, he is no like-for-like replacement. Totally different player.
Can't De Guzman play that De Jong role ?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Can't De Guzman play that De Jong role ?
Nope. He's an attacking midfielder like Wijnaldum, and playing him in a more disciplined, defensive role will make their midfield defensively weak. Blind is alright in that role but can't do the defending by himself as capably as de Jong does (even though de Jong himself can't do it all as well but is still better than Blind), so Blind will need more defensive support than de Jong. Wijnaldum's a pure attacking midfielder and won't suit that role well, and since de Guzman's played in central midfield for Swansea already, he's a better partner for Blind.

That said, I'd take a punt and put Clasie in midfield with Blind to make up for the combativeness and aggression in midfield.

FromTheBench

Nope. He's an attacking midfielder like Wijnaldum, and playing him in a more disciplined, defensive role will make their midfield defensively weak. Blind is alright in that role but can't do the defending by himself as capably as de Jong does (even though de Jong himself can't do it all as well but is still better than Blind), so Blind will need more defensive support than de Jong. Wijnaldum's a pure attacking midfielder and won't suit that role well, and since de Guzman's played in central midfield for Swansea already, he's a better partner for Blind.

That said, I'd take a punt and put Clasie in midfield with Blind to make up for the combativeness and aggression in midfield.
Hmm.... Problem with Putting Blind in midfield as not the deepest would be though that it goes too defensive and then who plays as the LWB ? Kuyt has so far done alright defensively but he hasn't been up against anyone directly yet plus he does not give much attacking wise from the Left (while he could if played as RWB where Verhaegh wasn't great either.)

Also, How much has Clasie been used by LVG before ? Going by this WC so far does not seem he is that highly rated by him.

Tomassonl

Supports
AFC Ajax, Netherlands, Ireland
I think Blind with BMI is the best option, Blind playing a bit more attacking role. I think Clasie simply doesn`t have what it takes at this level and he never will. I noticed BMI also tried to play some balls forward instead of sideways and back, which he didnt do all that bad in the last game. Probably has to do with instructions they got from LVG to stop messing around with the ball at the back.

FromTheBench

I think Blind with BMI is the best option, Blind playing a bit more attacking role. I think Clasie simply doesn`t have what it takes at this level and he never will. I noticed BMI also tried to play some balls forward instead of sideways and back, which he didnt do all that bad in the last game. Probably has to do with instructions they got from LVG to stop messing around with the ball at the back.
Martins Indi seems pretty technically limited though to play in midfield. Blind and him together becomes too defensive no and who comes in for him in defence ?

Tomassonl

Supports
It is defensive, but that wasn`t much different with De Jong. He doesnt give any great attacking impulses either. I think he can put Veltman on in the defence. Would be a good game for him to gain experience in this world cup ambiance.

Otherwise we should go for the attack and put Memphis on from the start. We could possibly see some very nice combinations then.

Stadjer

Kongolo is young and very inexperienced but he's technically quite good. I believe he played at the DM position in the youth teams too. A big risk though.

I don't like the footballer Daley Blind but after losing Nigel de Jong i think he's the best option to play at de Jong his position.

Tomassonl

Supports
Blind is the best option in the team even if De Jong wasnt injured, when it comes to attacking impulses.

Didn`t think of Kongolo yet, but I like the idea of trying him there, with your knowledge in mind that he played DM before.

Tomassonl

Supports
Im convinced on paper it will be a 5-3-2 again and quite certain it will be the same defensive approach as all the other games. LVG and the team (not to mention; all us cloggies) can smell blood and realize they can get much more than what they had expected from the start. It does mean they will stay very vigilante in not making mistakes such as underestimating Costa Rica and run into the knife, by starting off with a much more attacking approach to this game. If we all fall off our couches of boredom, that would be the last care in the world for LVG.

Tomassonl

Supports
Possible, but they certainly wont start with this 4-3-3, however what you propose could certainly happen in the course of the game, as it has already before (without Clasie).

Essaux

-------------Cilessen------------
Janmaat--DeVrij--Vlaar--Kuyt-
----------BMI-------Blind-------
-------------Sneijder------------
Robben------RVP-------DePay-

VanUtd why did you leave Janmaat out and put De Vrij there?

MUFC-Groningen

Hoping for a 4-3-3 with Sneijder, Blind and Wijnaldum/de Guzman at midfield. Blind didn't perform well against Mexico, but I'm not keen on Clasie either. De Jong is such a loss. Hopefully Fer will be back soon.

Peit

This happened the last and only time we actually won something.

FromTheBench

Go Netherlands totally now.

Fully supporting the dutch from now onwards. Don't like any of the 3 teams through to the Semi's.

Dutchjerry

This video is taken at the Gay Parade and not in 2010. Van Gaal (& Kluivert & R de Boer) were asked by the Dutch FA to represent them.

Adebesi

So the Netherlands had to decamp to a new hotel because they only booked up till yesterday, and FIFA sponsors and commercial partners have moved into their rooms ahead of the final. Seems like the Dutch FA werent expecting to make it to the Semis.

coolredwine

lameredboots
So the Netherlands had to decamp to a new hotel because they only booked up till yesterday, and FIFA sponsors and commercial partners have moved into their rooms ahead of the final. Seems like the Dutch FA werent expecting to make it to the Semis.
I think no one was. They have done remarkably in this World Cup!

Bloedrood

As far as I know they couldn't even book the hotel they're in that long because the FIFA wants to stay there after the semi finals, as it's at the beach, they're getting all good hotels near Ipanema and Copacabana as the final will be there in Rio. Same thing happened 4 years ago in South Africa.

Shouldn't be that big an issue though, as they had to leave for Sao Paolo anyway yesterday for the semis. They'll only need to get another hotel when they come back before the final.