OranjeCafe: The Netherlands at the World Cup

Tomassonl

Supports
AFC Ajax, Netherlands, Ireland
As far as I know they couldn't even book the hotel they're in that long because the FIFA wants to stay there after the semi finals, as it's at the beach, they're getting all good hotels near Ipanema and Copacabana as the final will be there in Rio. Same thing happened 4 years ago in South Africa.

Shouldn't be that big an issue though, as they had to leave for Sao Paolo anyway yesterday for the semis. They'll only need to get another hotel when they come back before the final.
You are correct. If The Netherlands wanted a hotel for the duration of the whole tournament, they would have had a location in the middle of nowhere. This was the best alternative.

Adebesi

That's completely perverse. One of the football teams actually contesting the Semi Finals having to make way for a load of sponsors and FIFA suits. These people should only be allowed anywhere near the hotel so they can clean Robben's boots, rub Sneijder's back, bring Van Persie cold drinks or - at a push - to admire Van Gaal's ballsack. If they arent doing one of those things they should piss off to another hotel.

Tomassonl

Supports
AFC Ajax, Netherlands, Ireland
That's completely perverse. One of the football teams actually contesting the Semi Finals having to make way for a load of sponsors and FIFA suits. These people should only be allowed anywhere near the hotel so they can clean Robben's boots, rub Sneijder's back, bring Van Persie cold drinks or - at a push - to admire Van Gaal's ballsack. If they arent doing one of those things they should piss off to another hotel.
I appreciate your way with words.

Yes, Blatter`s friends and sponsors are bigger than the tournament, but football has been sick for quite a long time now.

Adebesi

I appreciate your way with words.

Yes, Blatter`s friends and sponsors are bigger than the tournament, but football has been sick for quite a long time now.
Things Im looking forward to when this WC is over:

1) Having Van Gaal with the squad / the new season commencing
2) Ranting about FIFA / Qatar / Blatter
3) The missus not tutting and rolling her eyes constantly about me watching football most nights

And hopefully
4) Congratulating the Dutch on being World Champions.

Not too sure about 4 but we live in hope.

Bloedrood

Just saw a clip from closed training yesterday, Van Persie walked like an old man, seems injured or at least not fit at all. He trained by himself too.

Dutchjerry

RVP still isn't fully matchfit after his injury at the end of the season. Also he looks a little annoyed, but on the other hand, he always looks uninterested in his teammates.

There are reports claiming Nigel de Jong maybe will play after all tomorrow. This would be great!

If the Dutch win, and I hope they do, they killed all their traumas from the past beating Spain, Argentina and Germany (lost the previous finals to them) and also their fear for penalties.

Adebesi

RVP still isn't fully matchfit after his injury at the end of the season. Also he looks a little annoyed, but on the other hand, he always looks uninterested in his teammates.

There are reports claiming Nigel de Jong maybe will play after all tomorrow. This would be great!

If the Dutch win, and I hope they do, they killed all their traumas from the past beating Spain, Argentina and Germany (lost the previous finals to them) and also their fear for penalties.
I saw something about that but it was hard to find anything to corroborate it in English. Is this seriously on the cards? I heard not for tomorrow but for the final if you get there. That would be amazing.

Bloedrood

I saw something about that but it was hard to find anything to corroborate it in English. Is this seriously on the cards? I heard not for tomorrow but for the final if you get there. That would be amazing.
Nigel de Jong you mean? Yeah, he started training with the ball 2 days ago. They're clearly attempting to get him ready for tomorrow, Dutch media reporting that too. There's footage of Van Gaal telling the group of players that it's a miracle of Lourdes. And De Jong has confirmed he's ahead of schedule. So he might make it. I have a feeling that's also why for the first time this tournament Van Gaal has called for a closed training on the day before the game.

Last edited:

Adebesi

Nigel de Jong you mean? Yeah, he started training with the ball 2 days ago. They're clearly attempting to get him ready for tomorrow, Dutch media reporting that too. There's footage of Van Gaal telling the group of players that it's a miracle of Lourdes. And De Jong has confirmed he's ahead of schedule. So he might make it. I have a feeling that's also why for the first time this tournament Van Gaal has called for a closed training on the day before the game.
Sorry, yes I was asking about de Jong. Thanks for that, I was hunting for news on this yesterday and couldnt see anything.

Bloedrood

Van Persie missed today's training because he was sick. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't start tomorrow.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Super duper proud of this team. Almost nobody even really expected to make it out of the group but here we are losing to Argentina for no other reason than penalties. It truly could've gone either way. A goalie who had almost no experience playing first team football at Ajax.. A bunch of u-21s and Dutch league could be s or might be's a with one excelling player by the name of Robben, a workhorse by the name of Kuyt and solid but somewhat disappointing RvP and Sneijder. It truly was an in between Frankenstein team but Van Gaal made it work and for the first time in a long time I feel like I watched a real team play for the orange jersey. (how s that for a run on sentence). The fact the Dutch have made a name for themselves so many times while being as small of a country as it is truly is remarkable. The wait for that silly star continues...

Reactions: SteveJ

Winrar

Netherlands really cut above their weight in the World Cup. I expected them to struggle and edged out of the group stages by Chile but they proved me wrong.

LoiusVanGaal

credit to them for making the semi-finals, took Argentina (one of the pre-tournament favourites) to beat them on penalties (Holland were not fancied much to even make it out of their group remember)

Van Gaal proved his tactical nous to get them through the knock-out round and quarter finals and destroy Spain.

Van Persie scored arguably the goal of the tournament and easily the best headed goal of perhaps any world cup match.

Robben was one of the best, if not the best player at the tournament.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Georginio Wijnaldum was pretty decent as CM. Good ball control, good energy, good passing. And he's still young but captain of PSV already. Wouldn't mind him at United.