Ornstein: UEFA demands £275m to postpone the Euros

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Or what!? Money money money. Don't UEFA and FIFA have huge reservation of funds.

90 + 5min

Not to bad, if true. No problem getting that from clubs. Although UEFA just shows how greedy they are in this situation.

Devil may care

fecking mercenaries, the big leagues should all stand together and tell them to get fecked. .

LInkash

How would the payments be divided?

Maybe the Premier League could buy more Champions League spots for English clubs.

spiriticon

Yeah alright feck the league, lets play the Euros :lol:

I knew that somehow money would be the decisive factor in sorting the season out. Typical football mercenaries.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Huge category error by UEFA and probably on purpose if true. Taxing football clubs as if pandemic was caused or is somehow related to football which clearly isn't.

Greed at it's finest.

redshaw

Doubt fininsing the leagues during the summer instead of the Euros can happen anyway.

Small change when you divide that by the number of leagues, and then by the no. Of clubs.

however, this is a serious miscalculation from UEFA - do they never learn. PR disaster.

the reality is that the Euros are not likely to go ahead irrespective of what any club wants to do. The UK have the semi finals and final at Wembley, and the UK government are highly likely to insist that it’s cancelled in any case.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Shameless by UEFA. Given the disruption to the pro game the World Cup in Dubai is going to cause they really are pushing the top clubs into splitting away.

That said, they'll probably dress it up as them needing the money to reinvest in the lower leagues and grass roots football across Europe. The way their voting system works, they'll probably get away with it as well.

Hopefully the clubs and the press (and the tax offices) will keep an eye on where the money actually goes.

AlwaysRed66

I can see a realignment of leagues ditching UEFA & FIFA to the dustbin where they belong.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Shameless by UEFA. Given the disruption to the pro game the World Cup in Dubai is going to cause they really are pushing the top clubs into splitting away.

That said, they'll probably dress it up as them needing the money to reinvest in the lower leagues and grass roots football across Europe. The way their voting system works, they'll probably get away with it as well.

Hopefully the clubs and the press (and the tax offices) will keep an eye on where the money actually goes.
I think UEFA are ignoring the fact that the host countries might not even allow the event to be hosted. It's not like UEFA will have a goddamn choice in the matter. I havent read the article but if the headline is accurate this is bottom of the barrel vile.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
And some Dippers think they will cancel the CL and EL next season so they can let them finish the 19/20 domestic season.....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think UEFA are ignoring the fact that the host countries might not even allow the event to be hosted. It's not like UEFA will have a goddamn choice in the matter. I havent read the article but if the headline is accurate this is bottom of the barrel vile.
I think that will be the case if UEFA don't move/cancel it themselves. But UEFA/FIFAs ability to disrupt any possible resumption of domestic football is built into some of those "protected dates" for national team matches.

They can cause problems for the club game, and I'm sure they'll find a way to get their money. It's just nice to see Ornstein broadcast their demand - they need to pay a PR and financial scrutiny penalty for their money.

hobbers

Well, that could be City's ticket back in to the good books right there.

Scriblerus

Pure greed. call their bluff. Tell them to keep the schedule. They have a tournament stretched across a dozen European countries. There will be enough travel bans to make it a fiasco. It won't happen. They can carry the loss - and have to refund TV rights money.

RUCK4444

European Super League! Get it done.

Fecking get rid of these leaches.

They don’t own football, nobody ‘owns’ it. Just create another competition.

Gasolin

Let’s not suspend then. Get both the league and the Euro, either cancel the league or the best players will have to go to the Euro and the league carries on with players who are not selected!

No way the federations are paying that much.

Listar

Sorry, but why would clubs pay Uefa for Euro 2020?
So that they could finish their league season and crown Liverpool as champions.

On that thought, maybe Liverpool can pay 99% of that since I doubt man city would care if this EPL season is finished or not.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So that they could finish their league season and crown Liverpool as champions.

On that thought, maybe Liverpool can pay 99% of that since I doubt man city would care if this EPL season is finished or not.
PL clubs can just tell Uefa to feck off and hold their competition whenever they want to, and we'll have ours (new/continued) around it. The euros are barely a month long aren't they?

ti vu

This is why

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile...uropeanUnion/02/53/98/34/2539834_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Agreement expires December 31st 2020.

UEFA wouldn’t receive as much favor from the governments (new priority) in new agreement after world economy took hit by this global pandemic. The end of Brexit transition phase also add more work.

Moving the EURO to next summer would involve money. National FAs want to keep their cake, UEFA also has cake they want to keep, especially when their CL EL look like being canceled.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

Not to bad, if true. No problem getting that from clubs. Although UEFA just shows how greedy they are in this situation.
Why should clubs pay for an international tournament exactly? Uefa are cnuts. Clubs will need the money and so will leagues to help prop up clubs I'd imagine.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Maybe, just maybe, it’s our chance to tell these leeches - every single football association, organisation and governing body - to feck off, and when they get there, to feck off even more.

My love for the game has been dwindling for the past number of years anyway as it’s impossible to relate to multi-millionaire mercenaries, however, the behaviour of the footballing decision-makers during this crisis has been nothing short of disgraceful. Money and greed are the order of the day and to hell with everyone else appears to be their mantra.

Disgraceful.

Havak

Pokemon master
What would be their response if everyone just says "no, feck off?"

The players refuse to play, people refuse to travel and buy tickets.

Feel free to host your tournament that no staff, players, or fans turn up to. :)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What would be their response if everyone just says "no, feck off?"

The players refuse to play, people refuse to travel and buy tickets.

Feel free to host your tournament that no staff, players, or fans turn up to. :)
They could also tell European leagues to feck off and host the tournament this summer...

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
That really doesn't seem like a particularly sensible approach considering the clubs, leagues and players have the way better bargaining position if they were to stick together.

And I really hope they will. UEFA needs to fall flat on their face

redshaw

Sorry, but why would clubs pay Uefa for Euro 2020?
Under this slim hope the leagues can finish in the summer instead of playing the Euros.

Summer will come and go and it would seem the best we can hope for is in the autumn the leagues can start a new season when they normally do and possibly void this current season.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What does competition of national teams have to do with clubs? Makes zero sense, setting aside that it's completly unclear how total sum would be divided. PSG and Real should pay the same as Astana? :)

Besides - what bargaining power does UEFA have? Host cities are in lockdown. Large gatherings are banned by governments. It's not up to UEFA to cancel - it is effectively canceled. And UEFA cant even sue the cities because the situation is the definition of force majeure - all commitments are null and void.

Ridiculous plan if there ever was one

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Under this slim hope the leagues can finish in the summer instead of playing the Euros.
Looking at how things are escalating in London, to just name one location - do you think any large gatherings will be allowed in the next couple months (or even longer)?