Oscar Zambrano

tomaldinho1

I mostly watch Brazilian league + Argentinian league and the continental competitions which is where I've seen IDV play. They were in a group with Flamengo (who I follow) a few years ago. Caicedo played there at the time.

Assuming you mean current players in South America, Valentín Barco is the best one yet to move in my opinion. I really enjoy watching him play. Looks like he's ready-made for the Premier League, and have carried a Boca team with Rojo, Romero, Cavani in a lot games in the past year. Echeverri who just signed for City looks good too, he's staying at River on loan. I think Federico Redondo (son of Fernando) have been looking great, especially in the Libertadores. Exequiel Zeballos looked really good, but he's been ruined by injuries in the past two years, tore his ACL among other stuff. Oscar Medina is one that I feel is flying under the radar for the moment. Prestianni on the other hand is a little bit hyped up I think. Good player nonetheless, but I'm not feeling the hype that much. In Brazil a lot of the most exciting players have moved now and in the summer, like Beraldo, Gomes, Vitor Roque, França+++. I'm most excited about Lorran at the moment. Should get some more game time when the Carioca starts in a couple of weeks.

Among the lesser hyped ones to move already, João Gomes is one to keep an eye on. Starting to do well at Wolves now but he was such a good player for Flamengo. Protected the defence incredibly well. Pretty sure they'd win the league this year if he stayed, because their midfield fell apart without Gomes, was noticeable already from the 4-3 Supercopa v Palmeiras which was the first important game after he left.
I like the look of Gomes I must say, although the others I am less familiar with. Even Echeverri who has been in the media a lot recently with the links I didn't really know versus Alvarez I think most people were aware of. Probably a load of hidden gems across the smaller leagues in SA.

One who I remember thinking looked very good for his age was that Brugge guy, Ordonez who I think was also IDV? Especially as United need an RCB who is fast, aggressive and good on the ball.

CallyRed

About time we compete with the likes of Bournemouth for transfers

daba

If they want to hold on to 30% of his rights / get a 30% sell-on clause, I can see why the selling club would prefer a sale to Bournemouth / Brighton. If he comes straight to Utd the chances of them benefitting from that 30% in the next 2 years is far less likely. Would expect us to have to pay a chunk more to get this type of signing in.

Won’t happen but dream scenario would be to sign Zambrano and also K.Thuram from Nice. Send Mejbri on a permanent to Nice with a sell on clause of our own. Then loan Zambrano out to Nice (if they have a need for him) or Lausanne (if we see Swiss League as a good option), or a Sunderland/Preston in the Champ for a year.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I brought him up in July last year, and imo he would be a very good signing. The ITK for the Ecudorian club is also reporting United's interest. But the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton could prove to be the more logical next step for him.

19 year old Ecuadorian midfielder Oscar Zambrano looks a real talent from the games I've watched, which include games at u-20 national level. He's playing for LDU Quito in Ecuador but he's showing immense potential as a up and coming pivot with a good passing range and superb ability to evade pressure. Definitely one to watch out for in the coming years.

Castia

Why sign him for 5m when we can pay 80m in 2 years :drool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If they want to hold on to 30% of his rights / get a 30% sell-on clause, I can see why the selling club would prefer a sale to Bournemouth / Brighton. If he comes straight to Utd the chances of them benefitting from that 30% in the next 2 years is far less likely. Would expect us to have to pay a chunk more to get this type of signing in.
If we sign him and it’s for a chunkier fee (for the reasons you say): “we’re so shit in the market”

If a smaller club sign him with the sell-on clause/rights still held by the previous club: “we could never make deals like this. This club is so badly ran”

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Looks like he'd take a while to get to grips with the Premiership, a few years of loans in the offing should he be acquired, which I very much doubt will happen.

Roboc7

I think this is most likely another case of Utd being used to help a sale to another team, seems like Bournemouth are the front runners.

Given the price being quoted it’s exactly type of signing we should be making as even if didn’t work out you could probably still sell on for an FFP profit in couple of years or so.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think this is most likely another case of Utd being used to help a sale to another team, seems like Bournemouth are the front runners.

Given the price being quoted it’s exactly type of signing we should be making as even if didn’t work out you could probably still sell on for an FFP profit in couple of years or so.
Exactly. Buy him for £5-6m. DON'T put him on a ridiculous wage and, if it doesn't work out, you can sell him on at a minor profit in a year or two.

United either wait while players are under the radar and only come in when clubs want £100m, go in and stick these unknowns on £100k a week and wonder why they can't shift them later, or worse some combo of both. Crazy.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I brought him up in July last year, and imo he would be a very good signing. The ITK for the Ecudorian club is also reporting United's interest. But the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton could prove to be the more logical next step for him.
Good spot. How did you see/ hear about him? I barely watch any football these days apart from United and the odd PL game. Not even our youth team games.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good spot. How did you see/ hear about him? I barely watch any football these days apart from United and the odd PL game. Not even our youth team games.
I saw him play in a youth world cup and his quality on the ball was obvious, hence I brought up him as a under the radar type signing last year.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I saw him play in a youth world cup and his quality on the ball was obvious, hence I brought up him as a under the radar type signing last year.
He does look good, though the difference in pace and quality is clear between that league and the PL. I don't think it would be safe to assume he'd be a signing for now, a move to Brighton or the likes might even be more beneficial right now. United isn't a good environment for a young player these days.

bosskeano

Ffs. Instead of just talking about spend the fecking cash and bring him over

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not gonna get invested in this one, got burnt by the Caicedo links last time.

SparkedIntoLife

Oscar Medina is one that I feel is flying under the radar for the moment.
Nice write up, thanks. But who is Oscar Medina as he’s not showing up on Google searches besides a 19 year old free agent Spanish goalkeeper? Do you mean the Lens defender Facundo Medina?

If you don’t mind, could I ask you for your thoughts on the following players? Valentin Gomez, Marcos Leonardo (I don’t rate him from what I’ve seen), Estevao Willian and Luis Guilherme?

Good shout on Joao Gomes. Wolves fans seem to love him and I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten more hype here in England yet. I also really like Danilo at Forest (and apparently Murillo has been a revelation) - maybe not top tier as a passer but has phenomenal potential as a ball winner, in my opinion.

I suspect Luis Campos has pulled off another master stroke in bringing Beraldo and Moscardo (assuming that deal goes through in spite of his injury) to PSG. Very promising from what I’ve seen and heard.

Bojan Djordjic

Caciedo looked even better if I’m being picky
He looks a lot more adventurous on the ball than Caicedo though.

One mild concern I'd have with this signing is that he's another short king. We definitely need some height in that midfield or we'll be stuck looking at McTominay for eternity. That being said, we need some depth and this guy looks really talented and gritty.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He does look good, though the difference in pace and quality is clear between that league and the PL. I don't think it would be safe to assume he'd be a signing for now, a move to Brighton or the likes might even be more beneficial right now. United isn't a good environment for a young player these days.
I think it would he safe to assume that he wouldn't necessarily be a signing for now, but for the mid to long-term. He's a midfielder with a high technical level that needs developing and that can only develop with consistent game time. But these are the type of signing that we need to make imo, because the reported price is low but the potential impact in the long run could be significant.

And if we can add a couple of midfielders and a CB with the pace, power and athleticism to compliment players like Mainoo, Martinez and potentially Zambrano, then I feel that would see us move in the right direction.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He looks a lot more adventurous on the ball than Caicedo though.

One mild concern I'd have with this signing is that he's another short king. We definitely need some height in that midfield or we'll be stuck looking at McTominay for eternity. That being said, we need some depth and this guy looks really talented and gritty.
Cacideo looked a really good box to box. I think they are different players. This guy seems a playmaking DM with a high ceiling. I was just commenting that I personally thought Caciedo looked more of a sure thing to be a top PL player at another bargain price.

This guy also looks potentially class though and standing out for a smaller club. Great engine. Great long passes. He would be a smart signing where we hope he develops into a top player but at the very least we can sell him for actual profit if it doesn’t fully work out. He looks exciting!

I’m all about these kinds of signings. Amad looks like he’s about to finally get a chance to step up this season and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t add a few more top young players to the squad. It’s not like the established players are pulling up any trees.

CallyRed

You're no lucky scout. He finds these gems when they are playing in champions league finals

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
FFS Luton been trying to sign him and the hold up was that his club want him to waive the 15% he is owed from the sale. Now it looks like more clubs are getting ahead of us in the queue.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
FFS Luton been trying to sign him and the hold up was that his club want him to waive the 15% he is owed from the sale. Now it looks like more clubs are getting ahead of us in the queue.
He would be better off at Luton or Bournemouth for a season unless we have a plan to start him. I’m sure at a price that low he could set some kind of release agreement at a major profit to any club that kicks in after 2 seasons or something. The way Brighton developed Caciedo was pretty perfect. Got a debut and then out on loan and then back and starting from the next window on. No messing around. I doubt Utd or whoever would mind paying 60 million for him if he really develops. It’s obviously a lot cheaper to just get him and start rotating him in once he’s settled but I do wonder if we are going to start loaning talented young players more aggressively under the INEOS umbrella.

Last edited:

mav_9me

I mostly watch Brazilian league + Argentinian league and the continental competitions which is where I've seen IDV play. They were in a group with Flamengo (who I follow) a few years ago. Caicedo played there at the time.

Assuming you mean current players in South America, Valentín Barco is the best one yet to move in my opinion. I really enjoy watching him play. Looks like he's ready-made for the Premier League, and have carried a Boca team with Rojo, Romero, Cavani in a lot games in the past year. Echeverri who just signed for City looks good too, he's staying at River on loan. I think Federico Redondo (son of Fernando) have been looking great, especially in the Libertadores. Exequiel Zeballos looked really good, but he's been ruined by injuries in the past two years, tore his ACL among other stuff. Oscar Medina is one that I feel is flying under the radar for the moment. Prestianni on the other hand is a little bit hyped up I think. Good player nonetheless, but I'm not feeling the hype that much. In Brazil a lot of the most exciting players have moved now and in the summer, like Beraldo, Gomes, Vitor Roque, França+++. I'm most excited about Lorran at the moment. Should get some more game time when the Carioca starts in a couple of weeks.

Among the lesser hyped ones to move already, João Gomes is one to keep an eye on. Starting to do well at Wolves now but he was such a good player for Flamengo. Protected the defence incredibly well. Pretty sure they'd win the league this year if he stayed, because their midfield fell apart without Gomes, was noticeable already from the 4-3 Supercopa v Palmeiras which was the first important game after he left.
Is there any reason he has still not been signed up by Europe?

I don't get why we are not in for him. I mean plays LB and CM....I don't get it.

mav_9me

We obviously dont have the FFP to sign Caicedo and Enzo. Which is fine. But if we cant buy these type of signings for 5 to 10 to 20m (like Diallo) and we cant buy the top end like Enzo/Caicedo then we will be stuck with VdB/Fred/Herrera etc.

AneRu

We obviously dont have the FFP to sign Caicedo and Enzo. Which is fine. But if we cant buy these type of signings for 5 to 10 to 20m (like Diallo) and we cant buy the top end like Enzo/Caicedo then we will be stuck with VdB/Fred/Herrera etc.
Prime Herrera would be a key player in this team right now playing the 8 that Eriksen looks incapable of completing 90 doing. I do get your point but I think Herrera was one of our semi successful signings in the post Fergie era and would have been handy if we had kept him around over the last few seasons.

We absolutely have to do two or three deals of this nature per summer window (ie the Caicedo/Amad/Pellistiri) but just make sure the targets are well scouted and have a reasonable chance of making it. In my view these deals beat paying over the odds for average PL talent like Mount, I wouldn't mind someone like Olise, he is young and is on the up, but the Mount deal still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Socratic

All aboard the *checks notes* Oscar Zambrano hype train.
I've watched many seconds of video and don't want to go back to a world in which the next Michael Carrick doesn't play for Utd.

Rojofiam

I wonder if we'll start signing more talents this early into their careers now that we can send them on loan to Lausanne and/or Nice?