Film Oscars 2023

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
So the main take home from the Oscars for me was that the editing Oscar, the annual pinnacle of the craft was edited from a living room with a 2017 iMac, using premiere pro.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So was it just a terrible year for cinema or have the academy lost their mind? Hard to think of a worse film ever dominating the awards.

The only thing that stops me thinking there was group hysteria involved is the lack of any other really good films. That I watched anyway. Banshee was decent but not amazing. Although still miles better than EEAAO.

flameinthesun

Bit surprised by the response here to EEAAO winning. For me it quite easily was the best movie of the year, quite emotional, cleverly structured, great acting and delivered a beautifully simple story at the end of the day in a fun, emotional and exciting package. Totally deserved.

lsd

The Oracle
Jimmy Kimmel is always useless at these things. I honestly think he has no brain the dumb thinks he comes out with.

There was the laying down on the floor at the Emmys when Quinta won for Abbott Elementary.

He is just terrible

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So was it just a terrible year for cinema or have the academy lost their mind? Hard to think of a worse film ever dominating the awards.

The only thing that stops me thinking there was group hysteria involved is the lack of any other really good films. That I watched anyway. Banshee was decent but not amazing. Although still miles better than EEAAO.
I agree with everything you’ve said. I thought EEAAO was a hot mess of ADD and the humour fell completely flat. One of the worst best picture winners I can remember, and that’s saying a lot. For it to dominate the awards as it did, is some kind of mass delusion/hysteria. Of all the best pictures nominees I only really thought Banshees was a decent flick, and I have to stop there with the praise because I thought it was a much weaker entry than previous Martin McDonagh features. I was actually pretty disappointed in it. Yet it was still miles better than EEAAO.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Bit surprised by the response here to EEAAO winning. For me it quite easily was the best movie of the year, quite emotional, cleverly structured, great acting and delivered a beautifully simple story at the end of the day in a fun, emotional and exciting package. Totally deserved.
It's the caf and this is a film that's arguably popular in the mainstream. It's actually completely on brand.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don't mind EEAAO winning. For me, there were a lot worse movies in the last 25 years that won Best Picture, Best Director, etc. Was it my personal best movie of 2022? Nah, Decision to Leave and Broker were. But I don't think any of the nominees were overall more deserving than EEAAO.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

For me, EEAAO was a very good and enjoyable film. I can understand why some people don't agree with all the artistic choices in it, and it's true that the comedic effect the creators were going for fell flat occasionally. But it's also a film that drew great performances from its cast, and it managed to drive its main point home without hurtling towards the finish line. A simple point, but in today's industry, even this seems to be difficult. I believe it swept the board because they wanted to give a nod to A24, whose people have been quite open about how difficult it is nowadays to budget films that aren't brain-dead action flicks.

I also liked the Banshees of Inisherin. It's not McDonagh's finest work, as mentioned above. The symbolisms mostly work well, but there are times they feel forced. And its message about the fragility of friendships and the inescapable cost of leaving someone/something behind whenever we decide to move on made it an interesting watch for me.

All Quiet on the Western Front was a nice remake of an absolute classic that had won the double back in the day. "Nice remake of a classic film" describes it rather well, i wasn't surprised it didn't win any of the big prizes.

The Fablemans is a testament to the respect Spielberg deservedly receives in the industry. Had it been for anybody else, no one would have given a flying rat's arse about it. Still, it serves you with a couple of good Spielberg moments: The kid using his palms to see what he had filmed, Michelle Williams' dance and the scenes with Judd Hirsch. If you compare it to Iñárritu's two-hour plus fest of self-indulgence, it looks even better.

Elvis, Avatar and Top Gun, i don't get what the fuss was all about.

Women Talking was more pretentious than good.

I haven't watched Triangle of Sadness yet. So, while i didn't mind EEAAO winning at all, my personal choice would be Tar. For once, it would have been nice for Todd Field, whose previous films (In The Bedroom and Little Children) fall under the "great movies no one's watched" category. Two and a half hours of sheer realism, demanding and taking the best out of one of the greatest performers of our time and a wonderful supporting cast. A film that, as is cleverly put in the scene which preludes the main character's downfall, cares more about raising questions than giving answers. And it treats its main themes (which are quite touchy in our days) with a subtlety and a nuance that a lot of film-makers lack recently.

And after the debacle with Moonlight/La La Land and Will Smith's antics last year, the embrace between Harrison Ford and Ke Huy Quan - almost after a quarter of a century - was pure gold. They needed something like that.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I also was a bit meh on Everything Everywhere - thought it would be right up my street, but found it a bit too... wanky? yeah I'll go with wanky.

Agree with the sentiment that it's not a great list of best picture films though