Our 4 best transfers post Fergie and what we can learn from them

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Bruno is the main one. Remember losing to Burnley I think it was. We signed Bruno then went unbeaten all season I think. Or for a long period of time. Martinez seems a decent signing but been hit by injuries so yet to see him for a longer period of time. Casemiro I’m gonna say purely on last seasons form, when he came in he completely transformed our midfield and you could just see how important it is to have a solid DM. Shaws probably the other one for me… although he gets injured a lot when he’s inform he’s one of the best LB in the league.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I assume its a weak ass wum attempt
I mean...it's not though. Pogba was shite. Herrera was shite. I'm amazed people are clinging to other opinions on them! With Herrera at least he put a shift in so I can understand people defending him I suppose. Pogba was an overpriced, overrated geebag though

The Firestarter

I mean...it's not though. Pogba was shite. Herrera was shite. I'm amazed people are clinging to other opinions on them! With Herrera at least he put a shift in so I can understand people defending him I suppose. Pogba was an overpriced, overrated geebag though
Pogba was shite. Herrera really was not. He wasn't prime Casemiro but he was one of our better players.

el3mel

He was our POTY in 2016/2017, shit indeed.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That’s a depressing top 4. Even Luke Shaw has had issues with Van Gaal, Mourinho and an extensive injury history.

I’d argue Mata, Blind, Bruno and Lindelof were all good and sensible transfers for players who delivered value. If you include the freebies, then add Zlatan, Eriksen and Romero.

Lux Thunder

Sorry, but in terms of fee, player’s salary, years of service and role in the squad, I think nobody did a better job post SAF than Sergio Romero. :wenger:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Crazy Mata is getting so many mentions, absolutely appalling signing.

el3mel

He was a a very good servant for the club and a stable players for several years. The only issue is that he overstayed his welcome. He was done by 2018. His 2017/2018 season was bad, and post it he became mostly irrelevant but we persisted with keeping him at the club. Ignoring this period and just focusing on the 2014-2017 period, he did really well. Not magnificent but very good.

Side note I think Fred also is worth a mention here. Was a very good signing everything considered.

Mainoonited

I would say that they are given the circumstances. They would probably have been more appreciated with a proper manager in charge leading us to titles.

It's too early to make any conclusions about Mount. AWB is neither a success nor a failure. Something in between.
We abused Mata. Signed in when we had Rooney as a 10.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
80m for Bruno? Wasn't he 45m with add ons going to 55m or 60m?

Ibra and cavani were both good signings too.

Spaghetti

Mom's
His work off the ball was something of a revelation!

I think it was clear from early on that he wasn’t good enough, but having a player that was like him but better on the ball would have been really useful. Instead we sold him for Ronaldo…
Bowen

Lost bear

As other's have said, Mata, AWB, Antony, Mount, Sancho and so many others, there is no special argument.

The place we are failing is to identi fy a team and a style and recruiting that position rather than just signing a "Good player", we need to recruit a mold of player and then do more extensive work on their background.
Yeah, that's the key point. Most of our incomings have been basically good to decent players, but there has been no properly thought out plan in place to guide recruitment. Consequently we've had a bunch of disparate managers and their individual preferences, buying who they fancy without any structural shape to put them into. Its been, rather obviously, a disaster.

On the positive side, hopefully it should not be too difficult to fix in the future, if a director of football and an agreed pattern for the club and its style is put in place by competent management, which INEOS could potentially drive. We need a scouting department that will look into the character of possible recruits and ensure they fit into the shape of the team in social and psychological terms, too, so that players feel part of something larger.

It may sound complex but it should be simple enough to do, just so long as it is managed coherently and on a sustained basis.

Here's hoping.

Cloud7

I never understood what happened with Mata. At Chelsea he looked like one of the most dangerous players in the league but when we signed him he never even remotely looked as dangerous as he did for them.

iHicksy

Some of the mentions here show how the standards have dropped and how the acceptance level of mediocrity has become the norm. The only players that would have gotten into the great United sides that Fergie built are in my opinion: - based on their performances for us are: Shaw, Martinez, Bruno, Casemiro, Zlatan. That's it.

The_Midfielder

He was a a very good servant for the club and a stable players for several years. The only issue is that he overstayed his welcome. He was done by 2018. His 2017/2018 season was bad, and post it he became mostly irrelevant but we persisted with keeping him at the club. Ignoring this period and just focusing on the 2014-2017 period, he did really well. Not magnificent but very good.

Side note I think Fred also is worth a mention here. Was a very good signing everything considered.
Nah.. he was not that good ..
Would Chelsea let him go if he was good ?
He had too many flaws in his flaws to his game ..
W

iHicksy

I'm always surprised how much stick Herrera gets when he was one of our better signings. Not world class by any means but better than most of the shite we've signed, our POTY in 16/17, MOTM in the Europa League final, a couple of brilliant performances at Anfield, a pretty legendary man marking job on Hazard, some good FA cup semi final performances with goals and assists in both, and part of our best midfield combination post SAF in the trio of Matic, Pogba and himself. Jose ditched him because he wanted a more traditional DM in Matic to partner Pogba but overall a good signing in a bad period for the club.
Agreed. I think he's a player Fergie would have loved. He was a great box to box midfielder but he suffered from being played in DM at times and wasn't suited to LvG's robotic system (being told off for scoring a goal that won the game). Reasons why I personally liked him - his passing was progressive - he was a workhorse on the pitch. People seem to love Fred, but for me Herrera did everything fred did but better and didn't have the extreme lows that fred did, or the huge flaws to his game. Also, he actually got what it meant to be a United player and you can tell he actually did love playing for us.

el3mel

Nah.. he was not that good ..
Would Chelsea let him go if he was good ?
He had too many flaws in his flaws to his game ..
W
Chelsea let KDB and Salah go.. It's not a big deal.

He wasn't world class but he was definitely one of the few key good players we had in this awful period, and one of the most consistent at least.

SAFMUTD

Herrera wasn't even a nailed starter in 3 of his 4 seasons here but somehow he is one of the best 4 transfers of the last 10 years.

Mainoonited

Herrera wasn't even a nailed starter in 3 of his 4 seasons here but somehow he is one of the best 4 transfers of the last 10 years.
It says more about the transfers than it does Herrera. In a SAF squad he'd have played the role of a Butt/Fletcher/Alan Smith - useful squad player. Instead we was wasted in a midfield 2 alongside Pogba.

Grande

Even if you expect to win the league every year (stupid, huh?), you would be able to recognize the team coming in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, while not being perfect to your high standard, wiould have a few players every year who played really well.

Some United fans just can’t recognize that about their own players. They love the club so much, yes, but they’ve become blinkered. I’ve had nights like that, sure. But I think I can recognize that even in the teams that Van Gaal came third with, Mourinho second with, Solskjær second with and Ten Hag third with, there where some players in there doing a very good job.

Even with league winners, you have players having a good season, a bad season, a medium season. I think we have a tendency to sort out players by their worst patch and compare them to the best players in the world. But even Fergie didn’t use to have 22 world beaters every year.

Players like Paul Pogba was disappointing, frustrating and a good riddance in the end. Still, many of his performances here, Fergie would have taken them in a heart beat, placed him between Keane and Scholes and won a league, a few years later he’d be sold like a Jaap Stam eithout fanfare, still being remembered like an all time great.

Bruno under Fergie would rate as a classic Fergie coup.

foolsgold

It's a pretty damming list. I'd agree wth Shaw as a long term success, I know he's had injuries but we've had a nearly a decade from him and he's still one of our best players. The other 3 all have question marks against them for me but best of a bad bunch of longer term signings.

Tyrion

This is of course just my opinion but I think that our 4 best transfers since Fergie retired have been: Shaw, Herrera, Bruno and Martinez.

So what can we learn from these transfers? Is there any pattern?

Luke Shaw
- 19 years old
- 39 million pounds (roughly adjusted for inflation)
- Well-settled in the Premier League (60 apps for Southampton)

Ander Herrera
- 25 years old
- 38 million pounds (roughly adjusted for inflation)
- Well-settled in La Liga (94 apps for Athletic Bilbao)

Bruno Fernandes
- 25 years old
- 83 million pounds (roughly adjusted for inflation)
- Well-settled in Primeira Liga (83 apps for Sporting CP)
- Captain for Sporting CP
- Already called up by a strong national team

Lisandro Martinez
- 24 years old
- 53 million pounds (roughly adjusted for inflation)
- Well-settled in Eredivisie (74 apps for Ajax).
- Already called up by a strong national team

---

There seems to be a clear pattern to me. Typically: mid-twenties or younger, 40-50* million price tag and well-settled in a top 6 league**.

* Bruno cost significantly more than the other 3, but he was also signed mid-season when we panicked, which definitely drove up the price. Inflation has also been wild in the meantime.
** Martinez did not play in a top 6 league, but the manager knew him well and he had already been called up by the national team. And if we're being fair the Eredivisie is probably the 7th best league so it's not too far off.
Did Bruno not cost much less than that? I thought it was around £50 million. Inflation has been worse than I thought if its 80 now.

But I'd agree. Signings over 100 million rarely ever work out and most have been definite failures. City's approach of very good players around 30-70 million is way better than aiming for >80 million superstars and its better to aim for players in the mid to early 20s than past-it superstars as we do.

Martial

Even if you expect to win the league every year (stupid, huh?), you would be able to recognize the team coming in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, while not being perfect to your high standard, wiould have a few players every year who played really well.

Some United fans just can’t recognize that about their own players. They love the club so much, yes, but they’ve become blinkered. I’ve had nights like that, sure. But I think I can recognize that even in the teams that Van Gaal came third with, Mourinho second with, Solskjær second with and Ten Hag third with, there where some players in there doing a very good job.

Even with league winners, you have players having a good season, a bad season, a medium season. I think we have a tendency to sort out players by their worst patch and compare them to the best players in the world. But even Fergie didn’t use to have 22 world beaters every year.

Players like Paul Pogba was disappointing, frustrating and a good riddance in the end. Still, many of his performances here, Fergie would have taken them in a heart beat, placed him between Keane and Scholes and won a league, a few years later he’d be sold like a Jaap Stam eithout fanfare, still being remembered like an all time great.

I agree with you 100%.

The same player's under Fergie would have struggled at this United too.

AshRK

Barring Bruno, none of them have been a true game changer for us. Shaw is half of the time injured. Herrera is massively overhyped. Martinez is going towards the direction of Shaw.

And people mentioning the likes of Mata and Felliani are just wum.

Trequarista10

I liked Herrera. He'd make my list for top 4 signings, ahead of Mata. Could make a case for Zlatan or Martinez, but it depends what significance you give to length of service. I think he'd have been more appreciated if he'd played under a manager who had us pressing high up the pitch. He wasn't individually brilliant, but he was good technically for a ball winner, and a very useful cog in the right machine. Van Gaal changed approach virtually every game but I seem to remember the great run we went on around Juanfield was with Herrera RCM in a 433, and Ole's brief purple patch Herrera stood out in the same role. He never looked as good in a 4231, or under Jose in general. Bar that mental performance against Chelsea where he man marked Hazard and got a goal and assist.

Bondi77

Ibra would have to be one of the best with the contribution he had when he played.
I think some have gone over the top on Lisandro but that is common on here.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Sancho also fits into this criteria.

The matter at hand is we can’t trust our recruitment team with its current structure.
Pretty sure the Sancho deal was just the media running the stories until the club convinced themselves it was their idea all along. We had no real links to him until Ole started his pro-english players bullshit and the media started linking us to every young English player that wasn't at any of the big clubs.

GazTheLegend

opens the thread

If Ander Herrera isn't here I'm going to go completely ballistic

sees Ander Herrera named

Ok you and me are gonna get along nicely @Scandi Red .

Bruno Fernandes is the obvious other option, but I'd make a case for Zlatan Ibrahimovic being my third, and Juan Mata my fourth, particularly given the context of his signing. He gave us everything, and was utterly wasted by a great many of our managers, think he only ever played 10 a handful of times and whenever he did looked world class only to never play there again.

I don't think I'm particularly happy with any of our other signings.. and I do mean ANY of our other signings. The juries still out on Lisandro Martinez. I am secretly hopeful that Onana has just had a Vidic/Evra esque start to his career and one day we will look back and say what a good signing he was with hindsight.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.

Good post.

I think people can be so extreme in their views. Of course we haven't signed 40-50 players for the amount that we have with NONE of them being United quality. That would be insane.

Yes, we have been poor in the transfer market. There's no way around that. But at the same time, there is good reason to believe that some of the players (also some that I didn't mention) would have been highly successful under Fergie, Ancelotti, Klopp and Pep. The circumstances matter.