Our ability to make every poor or average side look like Brazil 1970

SER19

We desperately need 2 new midfielders. Even with a budget of 20m each id sooner have 2 that meet whatever criteria he wants from midfielders

spiriticon

They come to Old Trafford all energised and brave because they know our players won't give a feck

Someone

Something
We need a consistent core and we haven't had that for a long long time. I think if we can 100% identify our best 11 and formation, we'll start seeing the consistency we're missing at the moment.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm old enough to remember the first 30 minutes against Palace. It was a simpler time, but there was a sense of hope in the air. It really seemed as though things could be different. :(

::sonny::

At this level of nullity

At this point

Bring in Hannibal, Elanga, Shortire and the others and look what will happen

You have nothing to lose, maybe a conference league place

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Our midfield is generally worse or around the same level at best to every team we play. And that's just one of the reasons, but very important tbf.
Lots of things mentioned in this thread, but as an outsider this looks to be the most crucial. You currently play a version of 4-4-2. I grew up watching you put out one of the best four man midfields I’ve ever seen. It’s baffling.

Ceeps

It’s not passion, or lack thereoff, as players seem to grumble enough to show “they care”. It’s patently a lack of direction, communication and ability on the pitch. Probably not helped by the formation which suits none of our front 6, not to mention it doesn’t suit the full backs lack of positional awareness which is vital in a 4-2-2-2. I’m all for Ralf ball, shame he doesn’t pick/have a team capable of implementing it.

buckooo1978

theres a lot of things you could point to....

think its too simplistic to blame the midfield

unfamiliar formation which isnt working
average players in key positions
relatively poor passing
the heaviness of the united shirt
etc....

we look dysfunctional and i think this will be the case largely until next season

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
One question I have is where is the upside in McFred / Matic? Taking Arsenal for example, each of our core midfielders have drawbacks. Xhaka has low agility and is rash. Partey has been slow to adapt to the pace of our league. And Odegaard (to start with) lacked end product for a 10.

But when they click, you can see what we’re working towards (plus - I’m hoping this is the last season of Xhaka as a starter). But what is the United midfield even supposed to be? Matic was a great player and McFred never will be. But we’re in to what, their third or fourth seasons as linchpins? Of Manchester United?

I don’t get it.

L1nk

Someone told me on this forum once that "McSauce" was the future of our midfield and was an essential building block back on our way to winning the league

flameinthesun

The quality of the midfielders are definitely part of the problem, but the main issue is we have been persisting with formations with only 2 midfielders. We went from Oles 4 2 4 with bruno next to ronaldo, to a variation of that under Ralf. which results in us not dominating midfield and the game, givinfg the opposition more possesion and more opportunities to implement their gameplans.

Just cos we are united doesnt mean we have to play with 2 strikers or 2 wingers. We won the double in 08 playing 4 3 3..

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
The quality of the midfielders are definitely part of the problem, but the main issue is we have been persisting with formations with only 2 midfielders. We went from Oles 4 2 4 with bruno next to ronaldo, to a variation of that under Ralf. which results in us not dominating midfield and the game, givinfg the opposition more possesion and more opportunities to implement their gameplans.

Just cos we are united doesnt mean we have to play with 2 strikers or 2 wingers. We won the double in 08 playing 4 3 3..
It is a strange one. When teams play 2 in midfield it’s usually because they are extremely confident in that pairing.

Arsenal need a midfielder and are being linked with Douglas Luiz from Villa. I was checking him out - I’d like him, but he’d probably be overpriced buying from within the league.

Then it struck me. I’d take a Villa midfielder over a United one, given the choice. Villa are 13th. The same is true for the entire top half of the table (Rodri / Kante / Thiago / Rice / Ndombele / Neves / Bissouma / Ndidi).

How has this happened?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We had people first half wanting to bring Mbeumo and Toney back into their FPL sides. I am baffled at how we make everyone in the bottom half look brilliant for at least half a match.

hungrywing

I've explained all the negative effects that happens to one's own players (employees) if you severely overpay.

There's something else that happens as well.

CloneMC16

In fairness, Brentford gave Liverpool and Chelsea really tough games earlier on in the season. Chelsea were hanging on in the second half to get their win. Mendy made so many saves to save them. They also got a draw against Liverpool in their first game against them. They could have won it as well. This team are no joke.