Our attack...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
3 goals in each of our last 3 games. Early days, but looks like it’s really starting to take shape. With the scope for improvement from each forward we have - I like what I’m seeing in this area.

That middle 3 is obviously the biggest problem, but that said, we have barely been able to put our best 3 out at the same time all season, so hopefully we can see an upturn here too, at least enough to get us to the summer.

Raw

It's definitely looking better, and it such improve further with a proper central midfield behind them.

Problem is the depth is shocking but it does look like we're aiming to improve on that front, as there's clear interest in Haaland.

Judas

Open to offers
The movement still needs a lot of work. Andreas for all his fault was showing the same signs of frustration that Pogba often has, looking at the front players and wondering why the hell they're not moving.

There are positives though for sure, and I hope things continue to improve.

Really hope we bring in a striker, but with that, we also need more creation from midfield obviously.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
3 goals in each of our last 3 games. Early days, but looks like it’s really starting to take shape. With the scope for improvement from each forward we have - I like what I’m seeing in this area.
In the last 6 games, we have scored 3 goals in 4 games, scoring 14 goals.

In the last 4 PL games, we scored 3 goals in 3 games, scoring 9 goals.

Just have to see whether it's a purple patch or finally playing same attacking 3 consistently is producing results.

Against Brighton, Partizan, Norwich we should have scored at least 5 goals.

Eric's Seagull

Happy that we are starting to score a few goals. Hopefully with Pogba back we should score a few more. Hopefully we can get some quality signings in January as I'm concerned about our depth in attack and feel that we will struggle if we get injury to Martial.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Imagine them playing with a decent midfield?

If we had Chelsea's, Citys, liverpools or Leicesters midfield we'd probably be top 2/3 in the table right now.

Our depth is just awful. Take away Pogba/Mctominay and we're left with bang average Matic and Pereira. It's not enough.

Paul_Scholes18

It is doing better, but we normally struggle against compact teams. Movement is not great. When we ges space then we can play some good football.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is doing better, but we normally struggle against compact teams. Movement is not great. When we ges space then we can play some good football.
Brighton and Sheffield United are both what I’d call ‘compact teams’ tbh.

dev1l

Brighton and Sheffield United are both what I’d call ‘compact teams’ tbh.
Scoring 3 goals vs Sheffield U is not easy. Apparently it hasn't happened for some time until yesterday.

Irwin99

It's been a big positive although the defence looks much worse so finding the balance is key. I think we've learnt what should have been obvious where Rashford's best position is this season. Looks far better there.

A possible problem maybe that if we get a first choice striker coming in and we play with just the one centre forward then that could mean that Martial gets shifted to the wing again, which some would argue is his best position but others would disagree.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It's shaping up nicely but it's still very one dimensional. It's "go direct or go bust" in the sense that we are becoming very good at exploiting spaces but we still have trouble generating them on our own. I'm not going to pretend that the midfield doesn't need to be fixed but when we're constantly asking them to regain possession and play the ball vertically, all in three touches maximum, all the time, we're not making it easy for ourselves.

Firstly, the positives. Martial seems to be growing into his role. He's more willing to come deep and when he receives the ball in those areas he looks more aware of his surroundings than ever before in his United career. Rashford's runs have become more intelligent too. With an overlapping FB, he would look absolutely lethal because he would get better opportunities to play nearer the opposition box. James attacking the spaces in wide areas (taking advantage of the spaces modern FBs leave behind) creates balance because it provides us with width and it allows both Martial and Rashford to attack the opposition box. The #10 role sticks out like a sore thumb, obviously but, then again, it's one of the roles we wanted to get an improvement in. So, there's still hope that we will get it right eventually.

As for the negatives, the first one is that we are one injury away from having to readjust every role in the attacking plan. The other thing is that when plan A goes out of the window, we're left with very few good ideas. Martial isn't a forward that will give the opposition centre-halves plenty to worry about either with his intensity and aggression or his movement. This makes it more difficult to unbalance compact defences. Which leads the ball wide. And Rashford getting on the ball in stationary positions and away from goal with no room to exploit isn't exactly what we want because he's not the Hazard-type of left-winger. And if these two are out of the equation, we generally struggle in front of goal.

I believe a striker with the ability to harass the opposition CBs should be in the squad as an option. We thought that we could put Rashford there but it doesn't work because Rashy has pace and he works hard but he's not the Vardy-type who will chase down every ball and will always make something out of nothing. He won his place under LvG because he showed that he can pick his moments inside the box.

The #10 role will be crucial. People may hate the 4231 but with an attacking that consists of Martial, Rashford and James the need for a player with the ability to operate in the spaces between the lines, find little pockets of space and get on the ball while facing the goal is quite telling. I don't think that Martial will be as pivotal as Firmino or even Benzema for us to sustain a 433. He may end up being a greater goal scorer than both, he may improve his overall game but he will not become the one who will generate plays and open up spaces for the others. So, we'll need that player. Dybala would have been great because he's very clever and much more unselfish on the pitch than most people realize. I don't think Pogba can be that player but when you have Lingard and Pereira there, i guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try at some point.

andycolegangstainnit

A front three of Rashford, Martial & James is promising and with Greenwood as backup. Obviously, we all know the midfield is the problem. We've lost Felly and Herrera, Matic is about had it so it leaves Pogba, SMT, Fred & Pereira. The latter two ok but sqad players with Lingard. Mata and Matic need to be replaced with real quality ASAP. If Pogba goes we need another to replace him. Jones needs shipping out but we've got plenty of CBs..

LingiBW

Granted we have been scoring goals recently but the truth is most haven't been what i'd call team goals. When we have a purple-ish patch like we seem to, the individual goals are fine but if it happens that we get to lose confidence - something that happens frequently with us - due to never seeming to have the ability to hold on to clean sheets or the unending injuries at crucial times, we could find ourselves back to square one where we needed penalties every game.

Jonno

That middle 3 is obviously the biggest problem, but that said, we have barely been able to put our best 3 out at the same time all season, so hopefully we can see an upturn here too, at least enough to get us to the summer.
We are scoring goals, but that lack of movement and lack of nouse to make things happen for such a large period of the game was quite frankly shocking. Their confidence is built out of glass, it took a great finish from a rookie left back to spark confidence in the team. It's not good enough. You cant just turn up when you're playing in front of the Stretford end, you need to have the confidence to do it home and away.

Zen86

There’s a severe lack of creativity behind the front three, so they’ve done well to produce what they have. Imagine having that player who can play that defence splitting pass in the centre.

MetoTTT

I still wonder if our attacking players are coached and what they're working on during the training sesions. I can't see any team play, no on and off the ball movement. Our attack is down to individual play, exploits and improvisation.
There is no coherence at all.

baskinginthesun

We are scoring goals, but that lack of movement and lack of nouse to make things happen for such a large period of the game was quite frankly shocking. Their confidence is built out of glass, it took a great finish from a rookie left back to spark confidence in the team. It's not good enough. You cant just turn up when you're playing in front of the Stretford end, you need to have the confidence to do it home and away.
I dunno. I consistently see Rashford frustrated by the lack of a ball over the top or to his feet when he has made an exceptional run. I think Pogba is the link to that. Hopefully, when he is back we will see a lot more dangerous balls where good movement is finally rewarded. Fred and Pereira don't have it in them to play that ball in. See Maguire absolutely livid at a lack of a cross from either of them after they fannied about with a corner.

dev1l

I still wonder if our attacking players are coached and what they're working on during the training sesions. I can't see any team play, no on and off the ball movement. Our attack is down to individual play, exploits and improvisation.
There is no coherence at all.
So you attributed yesterday s 3 goals to improvisation?

MetoTTT

So you attributed yesterday s 3 goals to improvisation?
Not all of them but yes. More of individual play and improvisation than a good team attacking play. Why we struggle to create and score on a regular basis? Why our attack is toothless for 60+ minutes?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not all of them but yes. More of individual play and improvisation than a good team attacking play. Why we struggle to create and score on a regular basis? Why our attack is toothless for 60+ minutes?
We scored a very good team goal yesterday. The other two were well created too.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's been a big positive although the defence looks much worse so finding the balance is key. I think we've learnt what should have been obvious where Rashford's best position is this season. Looks far better there.

A possible problem maybe that if we get a first choice striker coming in and we play with just the one centre forward then that could mean that Martial gets shifted to the wing again, which some would argue is his best position but others would disagree.
Many of our defensive and offensive issues stem from having a largely ineffective midfield. Put Pogba in there alongside a couple of quality CM's and we will become an infinitely better team.

The majority of our goals this season have come from our striker's clever combination work rather than anything creative from he midfield.

MasterObiwan

Martial(becomes 24 next month) is our oldest player scored in this season so far.
(Other players who scored: Rashford, James, Greenwood, McT, Pereira, Williams)
It's a positive sign for future our young players especially from youth system give us attacking power.
But we need supports from veteran players to manage whole season. Young players are usually lose their pace and get into the rhythm.

MetoTTT

We scored a very good team goal yesterday. The other two were well created too.
Except the 3rd goal I don't see how the 1st and the 2nd goal are due to a team play of high quality and a well functioning attacking line. Why we can't do this on a regular basis? The 1st goal...James runs down the line, put in a good cross, cleared by SU defense then Williams blasted it...

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Except the 3rd goal I don't see how the 1st and the 2nd goal are due to a team play of high quality and a well functioning attacking line. Why we can't do this on a regular basis? The 1st goal...James runs down the line, put in a good cross, cleared by SU defense then Williams blasted it...
This is football. Not every goal will be the same. James put a good cross into the box, the defender didn’t clear it, he got a touch on it. And of course, the second was well created.

mu4c_20le

All 3 goals were the result of good team play, even the first one, when James put in the cross we had alot of people in position ready to attack it, and Fred was unmarked outside the box. I'd say the goal was coming sooner or later. The bolded part is the question you should be asking, why can't we regularly produce attacking displays like that? I'd say part of the reason we were able to attack like that was because Sheffield sat back a little and did not press the midfield as hard as the first half, and after the goal the game opened up a bit. So maybe with better players and support from midfield, we can do that more often.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because the midfield wasn’t good enough and barely you will see our midfield get their passing right to our attackers.

ash_86

This is the thread that should be moving. How long long have we have to go to see witness a very functional front 3 for United? There is a very good rapport amongst our front 3 in-spite of such a poor midfield. Rashford is on ridiculously great form and will beat his best by almost two folds if he stays fit. This is all happening while we our most effective creator hasn't played a game for months. Is Improving the attack not contribute to progression? Does our manager not get credited for this improvement at all?

MetoTTT

I wanted to say especially since the beginning of the season. It's not like our team scores a lot or creates a lot of opportunities.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We’ve continued in this vein now and have been creating and scoring bs everyone in the league. Loving what I’m seeing from the front line.

We still need to improve in midfield though. It is naturally easier to score goals if your are attacking 4 players instead of 8, and soon enough, we will earn enough respect that even the big teams are worried about leaving space in behind. The next phase in our evolution needs to be to move the opposition about with the ball and create chances against a ‘low block’. But I couldn’t be happier with our front men at the moment. They will only get better too. Daniel James hasn’t scored a goal for about 3 months, and I’m sure he’ll start doing that more soon. That will happen when creativity increases from midfield, as right now, he’s the one busy setting up all the goals, and isn’t in the position to get on the end of things.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm hoping Pogba picks up a lot of the midfield creativity slack, I still think we need to sign someone in January not just for depth but to be developed for eventually replacing Pogba if he were to leave, it'd also give us a nice option off the bench because currently Pereira's our only real attacking option to bring on.

baskinginthesun

We’ve continued in this vein now and have been creating and scoring bs everyone in the league. Loving what I’m seeing from the front line.

We still need to improve in midfield though. It is naturally easier to score goals if your are attacking 4 players instead of 8, and soon enough, we will earn enough respect that even the big teams are worried about leaving space in behind. The next phase in our evolution needs to be to move the opposition about with the ball and create chances against a ‘low block’. But I couldn’t be happier with our front men at the moment. They will only get better too. Daniel James hasn’t scored a goal for about 3 months, and I’m sure he’ll start doing that more soon. That will happen when creativity increases from midfield, as right now, he’s the one busy setting up all the goals, and isn’t in the position to get on the end of things.
Hopefully with the addition of Pogba in the next month or so we will really see that creativity come about. However, the fact that our front 3 or 4 are now creating on their own is excellent to see.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm hoping Pogba picks up a lot of the midfield creativity slack, I still think we need to sign someone in January not just for depth but to be developed for eventually replacing Pogba if he were to leave, it'd also give us a nice option off the bench because currently Pereira's our only real attacking option to bring on.
I think we need another creative midfielder regardless of what happens with Pogba, and if he goes, we need two. I am not a believer in putting one player in the team and saying ‘create’. I think you need to be a creative unit, and in midfield, you need two. Leicester at the moment have Tielemans and Maddison in their 3. They need to work but they need to pass too. I think you will reduce the impact of your one 10 if you expect him to be the sole creator. The only way he could do it would be to dribble and produce solo magic, which is an unfair expectation. For a team to move the ball quickly around the midfield, the midfielders need to move it quickly amongst themselves.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think we need another creative midfielder regardless of what happens with Pogba, and if he goes, we need two. I am not a believer in putting one player in the team and saying ‘create’. I think you need to be a creative unit, and in midfield, you need two. Leicester at the moment have Tielemans and Maddison in their 3. They need to work but they need to pass too. I think you will reduce the impact of your one 10 if you expect him to be the sole creator. The only way he could do it would be to dribble and produce solo magic, which is an unfair expectation. For a team to move the ball quickly around the midfield, the midfielders need to move it quickly amongst themselves.
While he doesn't do it loads I actually think Fred has it in his locker to add some more creativity, a few times recently noticed how adventurous he's been getting with his passing, I'm hoping as he grows with confidence he'll attempt these sorts of passes more often, against an extremely defensive team adventurous, expansive passing is such a key component to breaking them down. What sort of midfielders would you be looking at personally? I quite like the look of Dani Olmo.

You've got a good point about reducing a 10s impact, I will say however, in our current system our number 10 seems to be more of a build up play participant than the sole creator, which I think Pogba could excel in, his passing to a front 3 as pacy as ours would lead to a lot of opportunities. Then again, that might simply be because our current number 10s aren't quite up to scratch. A lot of our best moves seem to start with good link up play between the attackers, Martial's hold up play or individual skill from our wingers to beat their men. I'd like to think that with how many threats we now possess teams won't be able to double up on our players anymore, if they tried to double up on Pogba that would mean one of James, Rashford or Martial would suddenly have a lot more space, having the 10 be able to find space regularly is a very important part of any system that employs a 10.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
While he doesn't do it loads I actually think Fred has it in his locker to add some more creativity, a few times recently noticed how adventurous he's been getting with his passing, I'm hoping as he grows with confidence he'll attempt these sorts of passes more often, against an extremely defensive team adventurous, expansive passing is such a key component to breaking them down. What sort of midfielders would you be looking at personally? I quite like the look of Dani Olmo.

You've got a good point about reducing a 10s impact, I will say however, in our current system our number 10 seems to be more of a build up play participant than the sole creator, which I think Pogba could excel in, his passing to a front 3 as pacy as ours would lead to a lot of opportunities. Then again, that might simply be because our current number 10s aren't quite up to scratch. A lot of our best moves seem to start with good link up play between the attackers, Martial's hold up play or individual skill from our wingers to beat their men. I'd like to think that with how many threats we now possess teams won't be able to double up on our players anymore, if they tried to double up on Pogba that would mean one of James, Rashford or Martial would suddenly have a lot more space, having the 10 be able to find space regularly is a very important part of any system that employs a 10.
I mean, if Pogba stays, I don’t think we need another 10 to start with him per se, but an 8 who can both scrap but dribble and pass well too. Atletico have two I’d love in Koke and Saul. I wanted Barella in the summer too as I think he’s a great prospect in that type. Even someone like a Lewis Cook, for example, could be that type. He doesn’t have enough genius to be a 10 for a top club, but he’s very good on the ball and will bounce off the 10 and help the team in possession.

You are right on Fred too, but he seems to do most of his work a bit deeper in midfield these days I feel.

Crashoutcassius

We are making chances and our defence has been excellent on average but we struggle to control games when ahead... think that still falls on the midfield

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good chance we might end up with 3rd best attack in the league. We are on 63 goals, Chelsea 64 and they play Liverpool and Wolves next. Leicester have scored 4 more goals than us and they play Spurs next. We play West Ham, so we might close the gap.

We played 24 league games with players like Lingard, Pereira, Mctominay, Fred, James who played regularly, Pogba missed more than half a season, Martial and Rashford and Martial missed 7 and 6 games. Biggest problem was when Martial was injured, Rashford was the lone threat, when Rashford was injured Martial was the lone threat in the team.

Dividing our season into 3 phases.
First 24 games, that was before Bruno was signed.
TeamsGamesGoals ScoredGoals per game
Man City
24​
65​
2.71​
Liverpool
24​
56​
2.33​
Leicester
24​
52​
2.17​
Chelsea
24​
41​
1.71​
Spurs
24​
38​
1.58​
ManUtd
24​
36​
1.50​
Wolves
24​
35​
1.46​
Arsenal
24​
32​
1.33​

Next 12 games, after Bruno was signed.
Man City
12​
28​
2.33​
ManUtd
12​
27​
2.25​
Chelsea
12​
23​
1.92​
Arsenal
12​
21​
1.75​
Liverpool
12​
21​
1.75​
Spurs
12​
19​
1.58​
West Ham
11​
17​
1.55​
Southampton
12​
15​
1.25​

Since the restart when we had Pogba back, with Rashford and Pogba playing alongside Bruno for the first time.
Man City
8​
25​
3.13​
ManUtd
7​
19​
2.71​
Chelsea
7​
13​
1.86​
Arsenal
8​
13​
1.63​
Newcastle
7​
12​
1.71​
Southampton
7​
11​
1.57​
Liverpool
7​
11​
1.57​
Spurs
7​
10​
1.43​

We played one game with James as starter, if we just go by Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba attack then our goals per game is 3 goals per game.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
With Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno and Pogba on pitch, I feel confident that even during bad days we can create good enough number of chances to score 2 (,whether 2-3 very high percentage chances or more no. of decent ones against tight defences). If we get Sancho, even better. If we get more control in our play when defending, it will reduce the unnecessary dropped points greatly and we can start to think about title challenge.