Our Champions League campaign (20/21)

Matriac

We had 2 other typical round of 16 teams in our group. Across 2 matches we beat one of them and in pretty much any other group would have made the playoffs.
We stumbled in one winnable match, but those results will always happen even to the best teams, it's what makes cups so interesting.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Got too complacent against Basaksehir. Leipzig game was lost due a negative set up designed to get us a draw and when we conceded so early on there was no way back from it.

I think Ole has learned since then. He's still a young manager.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think having Pogba fit and in form would’ve made the difference. When you look at the effect he had in the minutes he played. Had he been fitter and not in abysmal form, it would’ve seen us through.

ROFLUTION

Rashford should've simply passed to Greenwood for a clearcut chance and scored on one of his chances.

Yes he did really well against PSG, and Leipzig first game, but his last game really cost us in decisive moments. Somehow he just shoot straight at the goalkeeper on "easy" chances. (Also did it for a potential 4-2 goal against Pool yesterday from a brilliant AWB cross)

Not saying he solely cost us though, but that final game against Leipzig was fatal.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was a very difficult group. Going into it you would expect to have lost 2 games.

So it really was that game in Turkey. Win that and we could have still lost the games and qualified

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Poor finishing in the PSG game at that level you can't miss the chances we did against a team like PSG and not get punished for it

MoskvaRed

The game in Turkey. An utterly abysmal performance and no “hostile crowd” excuse either. Leipzig away was also poor but it should have been a dead rubber for us by then.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We had enough ability to compete with those teams on that level, but mentally we weren't ready to see our way through that group. Great sides simply don't go from the high ceiling of a 5-0 Leipzig mauling to the basement of losing to a poor Turkish team.

Our form since those games though suggest that we have responded in exactly the right way, and I'm convinced that we'd get through that group if it was played again now. That's how much we have grown since then, and those defeats played a large part in that, so in that respect we should look upon it as a positive an important part of our evolution

Longshanks

The awful defeat in Turkey, missing some very good chances against psg at home and the dreadful first 20 minutes against lepzig away.

wolvored

Naivety in tactics. The last game setup for a draw when Ole spouts we always go for a win. Maybe just not good enough on the day. The 5 we scored against Leipzig was because of their gung ho naivety.

eire-red

The first game against Istanbul is the obvious one for me. Even if we only take a point from that game even, we go through.

PSG game I have no qualms with. We missed a couple chances, so did they. It was two top teams going at it, getting beat can easily happen at that level.

The final match against Leipzig we were too negative, and I can understand why. In perfect hindsight, we should have gone for it like they did. If both teams attacked, you'd have fancied our attack to score more goals.

Ole has learnt a lot from those games, and that's the most important thing. We haven't seen five at the back since, and we have been way less timid in big games since then. If we go on to have a really strong finish to the season, that CL group could be looked back at as a big learning curve for this team.

RedDevilRoshi

Shocking 1st half defending against Istanbul in Turkey and poor finishing against PSG at OT.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bad defending unfortunately. Lets not forget our early season form was pretty shaky too.

rotherham_red

Should probably have kept at least one man back when taking a corner against the worst team in the group
This.

Other than the game above and the Leipzig away game, our performances in the other games in the group were of a consistently high standard and we really should have gone through ahead of Leipzig.

As it is, we didn't but the I'm sure going forwards lessons will have been learned by Ole, the players and the staff around them.

While I'm sure I'm verging into Arsenal style can a loss be a win territory here, I think that in the long run, it was probably for the best that we missed out, as well as potentially the loss in the Carabao to City. Games like that show us how far we have come but more importantly, how far we still have to go.