Our defence 22/23 vs 07/08

Revan

Assumptionman
Vidic and Evra were considerably better than Martinez and Shaw. Brown a bit better than Dalot and quite better than AWB. Rio tie with Varane, De Gea tie with VDS (different strengths and weaknesses).

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I mean, we've conceded 26 goals in 21 league games so far this season.

In 07/08, we conceded 22 goals. In total, over 38 games.

Sure, stats don't always tell the full story and there's context and nuance and whatnot but in this case I think the numbers alone are quite conclusive. I won't bring up conceding just two goals in the CL knockout stages because there's no basis for comparison there. But, yeah, okay, I'll bring it up anyway: we conceded TWO goals in SEVEN knockout games in the Champions League back then. One of which was a long-range shot that got deflected twice AND our keeper slipped.
There's no debate to be had. I hate these 1v1 comparisons in team sports, it's such an Americanized way to try to explain the one sport that couldn't be further away from the American culture. More so, when we compare players from different eras.

Between 2007-08 & 2008-09, United had arguably the most complete team the Premier League ever saw (or at least until City bought two starting line-ups). That defence was the backbone of a side that won back-to-back PL titles and reached two CL finals unbeaten. That's where they set the bar for future generations.

Which, of course, doesn't mean that we don't have a good defence this season. One that is basically carrying the whole team.

Eddy_JukeZ

This might be my most controversial opinion ever but I think Shaw at his best is better than Evra.
I don't think it is. He's a very underrated footballer by loads of people.

His top level is better than Evra's.

His bottom level though is much worse than Evra's. He's got a higher ceiling, but a lower floor.

JB7

Vidic and Evra were considerably better than Martinez and Shaw. Brown a bit better than Dalot and quite better than AWB. Rio tie with Varane, De Gea tie with VDS (different strengths and weaknesses).
Disgree. De Gea isn't even in the same league as VDS and as much as I love Varane, and am buzzing that he plays for us, Rio was the best centre back I've ever seen in a United shirt.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This might be my most controversial opinion ever but I think Shaw at his best is better than Evra.
What are we saying? Is Shaw at his best better than Evra in say 11/12? Yes. But if we’re comparing them both at their best, which is only fair, it’s not even close in Evra’s favour.

KeanoMagicHat

Vidic and Ferdinand is one of the best defensive partnerships of all time for any team. Varane is comparable to Ferdinand but Vidic is steps ahead of Martinez at the moment, although Martinez could get better or eventually be regarded somewhere similar.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think any of the back 4 + GK would be starting for 2007-08 team. Rio and Vida, both individually and collectively better than Varane and Martinez. Brown is the only arguable position but that season he was class.

Evra was a monster, he was up and down the wing all game, owned up entire LW and like Shaw, he was exceptional in build up play.

Dion

What are we saying? Is Shaw at his best better than Evra in say 11/12? Yes. But if we’re comparing them both at their best, which is only fair, it’s not even close in Evra’s favour.
Yeah this is a baffling take, Evra for 3-4 years was at worst a gnat's pube behind Cole as the best leftback in the league (and probably the world). Shaw has never gotten to that level.

I could understand maybe if you wanted a modern fullback who tucked in and formed the extra man in the midfield you would punt for Shaw, but that's about it. Evra is comfortably better at everything else.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why do people always refer to Shaw 'at his best' - as though no other players are affected by form? I only see this phrase used regularly for him. Seems a tad unfair

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think people forget how good Rio was in my opinion.
Some do, I don't, individually Varane has won more on the big stage but as a CB partnership Rio & Vidic win that hands down, though give it time Varana & Licha could approach that level

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Evra and Shaw is close ? OMG ! Evra has been one of our best players consistently for 5 years.

Oranges038

Player for player and as a unit 07/08 were far superior.

When this team wins 3 titles on the bounce and gets to 3 CL finals. There'll be an argument to be had.

PSV

Current back 4 is overall better on the ball, and DDG has better reflexes than 37 year old VDS.

That's about it. Outside of that the 07/08 crushes our current team in every other aspect.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
After some not so long deliberation, I’ve decided:

GK: Van de Sar
RB: Brown
RCB: Ferdinand
LCB: Vidic
LB: Evra
This.

Varane is the only one who gets close. Martinez has been great but I want to see him sustain it and win before comparing to either Rio or Vidic.

Full backs are nowhere near. Brown's career was blighted by injury, but he was immense that year, particularly defensively.

I'd want De Gea in goal for stopping close range shots but Van Der Sar in goal for literally everything else.

Chief123

Very interesting to see we have the best defence in the premier league at home this season. Was very surprised to see we’ve only conceded 8 goals at home.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Very interesting to see we have the best defence in the premier league at home this season. Was very surprised to see we’ve only conceded 8 goals at home.
So much for our crap goalkeeper, FB's and CB's!

MegadrivePerson

It's so strange how strong we look at home compared to away games.

8 conceded at home yet 31 away! We are in the bottom six in the league for away goals conceded. Even the likes of Southampton and Everton are ahead of us.

We need to become much stronger on the road next season if we're hoping to push on.

lex talionis

Across the board our back line and keeper in 07/08 are clearly superior to 22/23.

The one player in the 22/23 who walks in to the 07/08 side is Casemiro.

But if the point is to heap praise on our defenders this season, the point is well taken. De Gea has been excellent this season, we know all about Martinez and Varane, and Shaw has improved his consistency. Dalot and Wan-Bissaka have turned in solid performances, though with quite a few wobbles.