Our Defence

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The area that needs most work done on.

Young and Valencia are close to being done. And they are wingers converted to full backs. Young is still pretty good but he cannot play two matches in a week. Shaw has come good since his leg break and being messed about by Mourinho. Dalot needs at least a season to bed in. Its a pity Darmain may be off. he has looked good when he has been given the chance.
We are very shallow in the middle. Jones has looked good since Ole came back...I mean no howlers.
Smalling is really not up to the standards we have had before.I like Lindeloff but he is more a sweeper than a CB. We need a quality CB to take charge.

jem

One great thing about this new phase with Ole is that it allows us to cast a more critical eye on the squad, without the nagging feeling that Mourinho is holding the player back. Thus, we can see that Pogba truly is United quality (that is not to completely absolve him of blame, of course.) And we can see that some errors clearly need strengthening. Hopefully we can take the sort of clear, straightforward approach that Liverpool did in upgrading these areas.

Skills

Snitch
I'm keen on us keeping on playing Dalot through this season. For me, playing Young and Valencia does nothing for us because we know what they're all about and it's not good enough (going into next season). Dalot might be, and giving him the next 6 months might pay off.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
3 goals in 3 games isnt bad at all. Our attack and defence was shit pre-OGS. Both have actually improved since he came in.

GF pre-OGS - 29 in 17
GA pre-OGS - 29 in 17

GF during OGS - 12 in 3
GA during OGS - 3 in 3

DCP

Can we rewind the transfer window 12 months and buy VVD please.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm keen on us keeping on playing Dalot through this season. For me, playing Young and Valencia does nothing for us because we know what they're all about and it's not good enough (going into next season). Dalot might be, and giving him the next 6 months might pay off.
That would be putting Dalot’s development as more important than the good of the team. Young is currently better, and we still have things to play for. We need to continue to play Dalot here and there, pick his games and minutes.

Josh 76

Maguire is gettable in January. I reckon 55m will do it.
He is young, commanding, great in the air, good on the ball. Has premier league experience. He lacks a little pace, but playing a Bailey next to him will work.
Then I think we should go for another CB in the summer and get rid of a couple.

As Liverpool proved, one class defender is all it needs.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
3 goals in 3 games isnt bad at all. Our attack and defence was shit pre-OGS. Both have actually improved since he came in.

GF pre-OGS - 29 in 17
GA pre-OGS - 29 in 17

GF during OGS - 12 in 3
GA during OGS - 3 in 3
Who have we played against during OGS' reign again?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think that would be a big mistake.

He isn't ready yet and the pressure on him if he made mistakes would be too much. Young is obviously better player at the moment. If you are old enough, you are good enough.

Ekeke

Smalling is easily our best CB, Lindelof best at playing from the back. Jones is good against mid table and below sides so can be good in rotation.

Shaw is a solid leftback, Dalot is a good rightback prospect but needs to play some games. Young is still useful because of set pieces but we can replace that.

Rojo should already have been sold, Bailly a smaller club than United should take a chance on him, Young and Valencia should be replaced with an experienced fullback

edgar allan

Maguire is gettable in January. I reckon 55m will do it.
He is young, commanding, great in the air, good on the ball. Has premier league experience. He lacks a little pace, but playing a Bailey next to him will work.
Then I think we should go for another CB in the summer and get rid of a couple.

As Liverpool proved, one class defender is all it needs.
Not sure if Maguire is the one but I agree with the sentiment

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Who have we played against during OGS' reign again?
Irrelevant.

We conceded 3 at West Ham, 3 at Brighton, 2 at Southampton, 2 at home to Derby, as well as 3 at home to spuds.

Some of the aforementioned are on par with some of the dross we've faced since Ole took over.

Woodzy

The goals have come as a result of poor defending which in a weird way is a promising sign, since they aren’t a direct result of our more attacking football.

We do just need better players in those four positions though if we want to stop conceding them.

Canagel

I think we need new pair of speedy fullbacks that will go on the overlap consistently and cross at pace. Honestly believe will transform our team.
Dalot will be an option but we can't keep relying on Young and Valencia.
Shaw is decent but he needs competition.

Lindelof is good enough next to the right partner.
Bailly has the talent but needs an experienced and calm head next to him or it will never work.
Shaw is ok and Dalot is young.

Valencia and Young are getting old and past it now.
Rojo, Jones and Smalling need replacing. Either never fit or not good enough.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Irrelevant.

We conceded 3 at West Ham, 3 at Brighton, 2 at Southampton, 2 at home to Derby, as well as 3 at home to spuds.

Some of the aforementioned are on par with some of the dross we've faced since Ole took over.
Ok well if one goal per game conceded against relegation fodder is the record you aspire to then fair enough.

Liverpool have conceded 8 in 20 this season, that's what I aspire to.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm happy enough with Smalling and Shaw, whilst I do think Shaw could be upgraded he's not an issue, if someone better came on the market then we could think about bringing them in for competition, at the very least. I think we'll cope the rest of the season with Smalling and Lindelof at CB (providing we don't sign one in January) but without Smalling we've looked a lot weaker, especially in aerial situations. RB is looking a bit more questionable with Dalot still being very young and our alternatives being Darmian, Valencia and Young who all come with their own sets of issues.

simplyared

Well we can't say the 4-1 win today and the fact we conceded only one goal was due to a solid performance by our defence. In fact if there was ever a game where we were a shambles in that department, it was today. Our midfield and attacking players were fecking brilliant today. The combo of Herrera-Pogba-Matic and the movement of Rashford and Lingard was ourstanding. Ask yourself the questions:
With that defending, how many we'd have let in against Liverpool, City etc?
If we had at least one CB who instinctively could play the ball forward so we could gain momentum from deeper positions. Or if we had at least one top attacking full back who, apart from having defensive qualities, could get a decent cross in now and then. How good would we be then?
Smalling imv has the defensive qualities but we are screeming for a Maguire. Shaw is decent but we haven't got a Kyle Walker.
So not much needed before we're up there with the best!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We are basically where the Scousers were a year ago before they got Van Dijk. We have some really talented attackers, if we can take the game to the opposition and keep them pegged back we look great. However, if you can get through our press and expose our soft centre we look vulnerable. If the board brings in a world class centre back to bolster our back line I believe it'll help Ole as much as it's helped Klopp.

The Irish Connection

That was joyful again today. I’ve gone from being desperate in matches to get a goal or a late winner against relegation fodder to being desperate for us to get the third, fourth or fifth!

Anyway, I think we should just do a Van Dijk on it and pay the money for Koulibaly. Maguire is good too of course.

The defensive chaos kinda just ads to the excitement at the moment but will get found out against better teams.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Like someone else said, what is encouraging is that goals against us are coming from mistakes and set pieces. If our new style was constantly getting countered on it would be a worry.

Nanotron

Our defence has been solid these past three games.
The big Swede is a mainstay based on these performances as he complements the way we play while he can actually defend.
Has the look of a guy who will improve ten fold as well.

Bailly has potential but his brain is a worry. If Jones wasn't injury prone Id still keep him. Both fine for cover along with Tuanzebe next season.
FB's (young decent cover on both sides) will be grand next season so from a first 11 perspective were short a CH.
Would shift Smalling, Darmian and Rojo.

izec

We need a CB or two, thats for sure. A new fullback too (LB for me to challenge Shaw), Darmian will be gone and Young/Valencia are not getting younger. Our CBs are a mess though and should get a lot of focus on in the summer with a RW and fullback.

Kapardin

If we get someone like Koulibaly in Jan, we will be unstoppable with this system. Might even fancy a deep run in the CL. But unfortunately, deals like Liverpool and VvD are the exception and not the norm, and we don't have a B team like Southampton who will bend over to our demands.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need a commanding centre half. And more quality at full-back too. Shaw is good, but still lacks some quality at both ends I think. He’s a solid full back, neither being an Azpilicueta nor a Mendy. Dalot is still a work in progress so I’m not sure what he will be. He has quality going forward, but my first impressions are that he is a bit on a slow side.

wolvored

I said on another thread I think a CB like Vidic as we have Lindelof to carry the ball forward. Its the RB position that needs looking at more than LB. Young isnt good enough for this fast press play and neither is Valencia. Darmian will be gone in Jan I think, and we should be moving on Valencia Young Jones Rojo and Bailly in the summer. We ought to see if we can get a mid aged CD and RB in, around 24-26 with experience, in Jan so they got half a season to bed in. Dalot can be the RB deputy as he has time on his side, Smalling as cover for CD and Tuanzebe will be back in the summer, but unsure if he is good enough for CD although he had good reports from Villa fans.. TFM isnt from reports I have read.

Last edited:

tjb

One great thing about this new phase with Ole is that it allows us to cast a more critical eye on the squad, without the nagging feeling that Mourinho is holding the player back. Thus, we can see that Pogba truly is United quality (that is not to completely absolve him of blame, of course.) And we can see that some errors clearly need strengthening. Hopefully we can take the sort of clear, straightforward approach that Liverpool did in upgrading these areas.
I agree. TBH some of the areas which needed fixing were clear during the Jose days. Our biggest issue is at the centre of defence. We have a lot of capable understudies, but we need a leader that is comfortable on the ball and is good in heading situations, as well as capable in other areas of defence. We need to spend big here and make sure this guy is proven and has experience. We can afford to wait patiently for the guy who takes the second slot whether he be from the club or outside, but the first choice leader in defence needs addressing.

Secondly, we need a slight bit more experienced quality in our attack, particularly if Rashford is leading the line. A guy who can rectify potential inconsistencies in the attacking phase of play, as both Martial and Rashford are not yet consistently dependable entities. Pogba will always bring quality, but he needs support for the days the other two may not just have it. Hopefully Sanchez can fill that right wing slot.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If I was going to purchase anything for the back, it would be a senior leader as much as anything. As mucn as the ability to defend, we seem to lack leadership at the back.

el3mel

If we get someone like Koulibaly in Jan, we will be unstoppable with this system. Might even fancy a deep run in the CL. But unfortunately, deals like Liverpool and VvD are the exception and not the norm, and we don't have a B team like Southampton who will bend over to our demands.
Didn't Kouilbaly extend his contract ?

We should try to get Skinriar if that's the case.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ok well if one goal per game conceded against relegation fodder is the record you aspire to then fair enough.

Liverpool have conceded 8 in 20 this season, that's what I aspire to.
The point is that there is progress being made.

We're still conceding unbelievably stupid goals, but we're cutting out volumes of mistakes, and that's the progress we need to see.

OGS isn't going to walk in and fix every problem in 2 weeks. So I'm very happy to see us concede just 3, whilst scoring 12.

ravi2

Can we rewind the transfer window 12 months and buy VVD please.
Hindsight is always 20/20, I thought £75 million was a crazy price for VVD but it looks like a steal now, he has transformed the way Livers play and build from the back.

We need to pay whatever price is quoted for a Kouilbaly/Skinriar type and buy a top full back like Telles as well.
Valencia, Rojo and Jones need to be sold and Young kept for depth for another season.

There is a lot of work to be done in the defense but the good news is I believe everyone is now on the same page regarding the direction that we need to go in.

Trophy Room

I would go as far as to say that our defence is a whole lot better, primarily because we have significantly more attacking possession.

Varun

Staff
We need a leader at the back, not just a good defender. Throw the kitchen sink at Koulibaly.