Our Midfield

AJ Bullet

Our midfield lacks creativity and goals, other than Pogba nobody is chipping in with 5-10 goals that are needed to make a difference. Maybe McTominay can up his tally this season but Matic is never going to get more than one a season and Fred looks unlikely to get more than a couple, Andreas the same. And as for passing to split open the defense Pogba is way ahead of the rest, they just dont have the vision or deft of touch to do it on reliable basis. I guess thats why the Fernandez links are so heavy (if true).

Foxbatt

You change Matic and get a sold DM and then the whole equation will change.

Seij

Still only leaves Pogba as the only midfielder outlet to the forwards though. Not like our current defenders can help much there either.

eltigreFalcao

From what I've seen in pre season, Ole's gona play a double 5 with a line of 3 futher up the pitch and an out and out striker, which to me, as I've been saying, makes a lot of sense to Ole's approach and brings back a little bit of balance which we were lacking a lot.
As per today PP and McT are going to play together with Pogba being allowed (and tasked to) to come up forward more often than not when in possesion. The line of three should be the ones who perform the high pressing style we've been said Ole is implementing, there must be dynamism and hardwork, a lot, thats why I dont see Pogba or Martial playing in that zone. If Ole where to be coherent with the approach we could see Rashford playing on the wing more often than not and Martial lurking arround as a mobile nº 9.
CAM and RW are concerns to me but atm Lingard and Pereira have shown they can press and release the ball (not much more than that tho). I fully expect one addition in one of those positions, being Fernandes the most mentioned one (whom from my point of view suits very well that system).
That said, definitely we lack a proper CM/CDM to play that McT role, either to cover or to upgrade. Milinkovic-Savic is a proper player able to fit that role.

Expected midfield:

M-Savic -- Pogba
Lingard/Pereira -- Fernandes -- Rashford​

Pavl3n

Don't think its near as bad as is being made in the thread. McTominay is really stepping into his own and it seems like Pogba is going to be utilized deeper, so in the centre midfield position its not bad. Where we have a problem are the attacking midfield and right wing area. Even at centre back i feel over the course of the season Tuanzebe can step up to that role if given a chance. But in attacking midfield, we clearly cannot trust lingard or Mata, and Gomes should be a squad option at this point to ease him in. Maybe Andreas can prove something, but we really should be after this position moreso than any other.
I'm totally with you.

McTomminay is growing on me and he looks like he has some bite in him and he won't let go easy. I believe this season he'll prove himself as a starter and why not? Especially if you have mentor like Carrick.
Fred - I think last season was too turbulent for him and he still showed glimpses of a very good footballer. With atmosphere being calmer I think he'll be more consistent and will bed in nicely.
Matic is the one with question mark, but I believe he could deliver 6.5/7 performance over the course of 40 games (I don't think he should play more than that).

Looking forward to Andreas getting more game time as I still believe he has creativity in him. Another one I hope gets a good 20 games is Gomes - if 19 yo Felix can play so much, then Gomes could too.

Going by current rumors Lukaku for Dybala/D Costa, Maguire, Bruno and SMS in - that would bring great balance to the team. Still... I am not sure we'll bring all if not any. Or we could be spending Pogba's money.

Ideally we would need one solid midfielder. Being an extreme optimist - give Garner game time in cups and EL and rest what we have.
I guess time will tell.

In Rainbows

Our midfield lacks creativity and goals, other than Pogba nobody is chipping in with 5-10 goals that are needed to make a difference. Maybe McTominay can up his tally this season but Matic is never going to get more than one a season and Fred looks unlikely to get more than a couple, Andreas the same. And as for passing to split open the defense Pogba is way ahead of the rest, they just dont have the vision or deft of touch to do it on reliable basis. I guess thats why the Fernandez links are so heavy (if true).
Actually feel our midfield lacks a consistent maestro and also a midfielder specializing in breaking up attacks. If you look at the midfield as a whole, we want our midfield to help in attack, to set the tempo, be the best passing option to maintain possession, and also helps sheild the defense. The sum of its parts needs to add up to that entire function. McTominay is more of a box to box type midfielder. It's a needed component because Pogba is a type that is more conservative in his movement and only really sprints when he sees an attacking opportunity.

This is why I'm in favor of developing Gomes to be our maestro. Kid has a consistently great first touch, has great timing to slip in a pass, a great clock in his head to set the tempo, actually has great vision to help out Pogba's creativity, and can also dribble when the situation arises. He's even started to add a bit of physicality when defending. When he's played as a 10 he doesn't consistently help out the defense, or stay in deeper central areas to help out the defense bring the ball out. However, whenever he's been an 8 or a 6 for the youth teams he consistently shows that discipline because he understands what is needed from that role.

AJ Bullet

Yeah, I feel Jose was a little short sighted in Matic, for France Pogba has Kante beside him who runs all day long to break up the opponents and it works perfectly. Matic does less running than Pogba so it was never going to be a good combo. We needed somebody more in the Kante mould than the Matic one, granted there may not be many around of qood quality but Matic has been no better than Schneiderlin.

edgar allan

I'm totally with you.

McTomminay is growing on me and he looks like he has some bite in him and he won't let go easy. I believe this season he'll prove himself as a starter and why not? Especially if you have mentor like Carrick.
Fred - I think last season was too turbulent for him and he still showed glimpses of a very good footballer. With atmosphere being calmer I think he'll be more consistent and will bed in nicely.
Matic is the one with question mark, but I believe he could deliver 6.5/7 performance over the course of 40 games (I don't think he should play more than that).

Looking forward to Andreas getting more game time as I still believe he has creativity in him. Another one I hope gets a good 20 games is Gomes - if 19 yo Felix can play so much, then Gomes could too.

Going by current rumors Lukaku for Dybala/D Costa, Maguire, Bruno and SMS in - that would bring great balance to the team. Still... I am not sure we'll bring all if not any. Or we could be spending Pogba's money.

Ideally we would need one solid midfielder. Being an extreme optimist - give Garner game time in cups and EL and rest what we have.
I guess time will tell.
We have lost our only consistent player in a midfield last year that was regularly outplayed and outfought, this is going to be a car-crash this season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's kind of mental after all these years we still lack a top CB, a quality midfielder and we don't have a striker who is a great goalscorer.

Mugiwarared71

Matic is done, Fred is still in Ukraine, McT is a Kid, AP is not a midfielder and then we have Pogba.

Our options are quite bad probably worse in all of top 8. We really need couple of solid 6/10 midfielders . Not world beaters not young kids but who can actually do a job .

Season is 2 weeks away and I don't think we will sign any mids ( even if we sign longstaff ,he is for future).

Not a transfer names thread but discuss how are we going to cope the season esp when we are aspiring for a top 4.
one of the worst midfields in the league. take out Pogba and with that team good luck finishing 10th we are a joke

Last edited by a moderator:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We have lost our only consistent player in a midfield last year that was regularly outplayed and outfought, this is going to be a car-crash this season.
Fact that Herrera was our consistent player is a myth. While it was sad to see him go , he is not irreplaceable. We were right not to give him the money he was looking for. However club shouldn't have let his contract run down though

edgar allan

Fact that Herrera was our consistent player is a myth. While it was sad to see him go , he is not irreplaceable. We were right not to give him the money he was looking for. However club shouldn't have let his contract run down though
Would you consider Pogba, Fred, Matic as more consistent??

Eric's Seagull

It's kind of mental after all these years we still lack a top CB, a quality midfielder and we don't have a striker who is a great goalscorer.
It seems as if we can all see where the squad needs reinforcing besides Woody. Seems like Woody has such a high opinion of his knowledge of football that he thinks we are fine in these positions. He needs to start listening to people who have more knowledge that him, like our manager.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It seems as if we can all see where the squad needs reinforcing besides Woody. Seems like Woody has such a high opinion of his knowledge of football that he thinks we are fine in these positions. He needs to start listening to people who have more knowledge that him, like our manager.
Woody is focused only on the money.

I honestly think we are being set up to be sold. He seems to be keeping costs down.

EDIT: If we have not already been sold.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Almost all our signings have failed. I don't think he has any confidence in his own or our managers skill in the transfer market.

Eric's Seagull

Woody is focused only on the money.

I honestly think we are being set up to be sold. He seems to be keeping costs down.
I agree that Woody only cares about money. I hope the club gets sold. But I hope that if we do get sold, that the new owners care about results on the pitch as they do about making money for themselves.

AJ Bullet

To think our spine has had the likes of Rio, Vidic, Staam, Keane, Sholes, Cantona, Van Nistelrooy, RVP in their prime we now seem to want to plug the gaps with youth and players past their best and wonder why it doesnt work.

NoLogo

2018/19 - Pogba, Fellaini, Matic, Herrera, Fred, McTominay, Pereira.

2019/20 - Pogba, Matic, Fred, McTominay, Pereira, Garner.

Our midfield, which was shite last year, is EVEN WORSE going into the new season.

Welcome to the world's biggest football club.
It's a complete travesty. We probably have the worst midfield out of Europe's top 15 Teams. Add to that the fact that our right wing is a complete joke with jLingz and Mata and our midfield looks even worse if you factor the wide options in.

edgar allan

It's a complete travesty. We probably have the worst midfield out of Europe's top 15 Teams. Add to that the fact that our right wing is a complete joke with jLingz and Mata and our midfield looks even worse if you factor the wide options in.
Add in two average CB's and no-one to hold the ball up front and you could drive a coach and horses through the centre of our team.

King Andow

The depth is horrendous, I can't believe we're heading into the season with this bunch, will cost us big time. Take Pogba out of the team and we're at West Ham level.

Varun

Staff
The depth is horrendous, I can't believe we're heading into the season with this bunch, will cost us big time. Take Pogba out of the team and we're at West Ham level.
Depth? That's being generous. We just have Pogba and a bunch of kids, dross and past it oldies. We need at least 1 quality CM.

rooney2009

Our Midfield is not very good, if we don’t get a couple of midfielder in, we are in big trouble
Can’t believe how bad we are being managed?

PTSTSL

Taking Matic out for nobody will probably improve our MF in this game.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We can't keep the ball. Don't know what are we doing in training. Milan with a worse team looks better coached with not being 100% fit.

If something doesn't change, we are in for a rude awakening. Looks like Ole doesn't know anything other than counter attacking.

Our best midfield is Fred, McT and Pogba. They complement each other. Fred and McT work well together pressing and moving the ball quickly and they free Pogba up to play his game. Nobody else fits that style and worse they screw up the dynamic of those three when they play.

redom

Considering we lost Herrera it's very surprising that midfield wasn't our priority in terms of signings, if we want to dictate games then we need some pretty serious reinforcements, which seems unlikely.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are we still buying Savic?
Our midfield look so poor, without Pogba, its disaster.

Untd55

Matic still has his passing, but he is done in every other way.

McTominay is a squad player. I don't think he is good enough to have as a first team player.

Pereira is a nothing player

We need to sign a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder for the first team alongside keeping Pogba. We are going to struggle badly no matter what we do, otherwise.

Mr PG

Fred is way better than Matic or Perreira fact.. this game worries me about Ole playing counter attack against an average team. Yes we’re badly coached.

Classical Mechanic

We don’t have the players to play out from the back. It starts with De Gea but then there’s no one you’d trust to receive the ball centrally facing goal under pressure. Matic and McT are just too robotic and don’t have tight enough technique, Pogba is too lackadaisical, Fred is rubbish and Pereira is wildly inconsistent on the ball.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That's why anyone advocating for Pogba's departure is crazy. He aint perfect (far from it) but he's far better than anything we have currently.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Not looking good at all.

Mr PG

Shaw, martial, Matic, mata, Perreira don’t belong anywhere near the first team.