Our Progress

Green_Red

We're on course to be only 8 points better off than last season. We're in a final, but we haven't won anything yet. The team does play a much better brand of football, more in line with the clubs identity, and We're a lot more resilient as we can see by the number of points we picked up from losing positions and the number of late goals We're scoring. So progress is there but We're further away from competing than a lot of fans realise.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It’s the lack of depth beyond our first team that worries me most. In my opinion, it would be criminal to start next season with just one quality central defender in Maguire.

City could literally field 2 top title-chasing sides from their entire squad of players. We are mid-table quality beyond the first 11.

Canagel

Won't even get to Maureen's 81 points.

Spent 250m to end up 10 points worse but progress apparently. Make it make sense

Godfather

So are city. I have huge concerns now but points total isn't a good measure always.
Major difference from where you start.

And to be honest there's not a better way to measure improvement is there? And it's actually in favour of Ole. If we look at our games and how we've performed I don't see any improvement from last year at all.

acnumber9

Lot of progress.

Taking of foot from the gas pedal when we have 2nd / 3rd place in hand is normal. What we are seeing is us preparing for the final.
As far as preparation goes it’s fecking shit.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
But we didn’t. And we still wouldn’t have been challenging for the title. This isn’t a knee jerk reaction. I’ve been asking questions about how much progress we’re actually making for a while.
Everything you say challenging the current situation which even remotely hints at questioning the management is considered knee jerk here. You should know this by now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm still unsure where we are, as mad as it sounds.
Either this is the best it'll get under Ole or the best it yet to come.

dove

you two should marry, you've clearly on the same wave length
I mean your argument that we would have had more points had we won the last 3 games we didn't is quite idiotic. Did you use this to defend our previous managers or just Ole?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
There are two European competitions mate. We're in the minor one and got kicked out of the major one. Lowest points total for a second place team in about 20 years. This is after a low point total to get top 4 last year. Major European cup :lol:
It was a minor trophy when Mourinho won it. And so was the 82 point finish. Now the arguments are tailored to suit the apologetic narrative.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There are two European competitions mate. We're in the minor one and got kicked out of the major one. Lowest points total for a second place team in about 20 years. This is after a low point total to get top 4 last year. Major European cup :lol:
It's a major cup. It's a European Cup. It's a major european cup. English is hard. :lol:

Dobba

Everything you say challenging the current situation which even remotely hints at questioning the management is considered knee jerk here. You should know this by now.
We'd just like some consistency, rather than the same faces who are telling us the manager needs to go because he's not being getting enough out of the players then moving to the transfer forum to say we need 5-6 starting XI players in the summer.

SER19

Major difference from where you start.

And to be honest there's not a better way to measure improvement is there? And it's actually in favour of Ole. If we look at our games and how we've performed I don't see any improvement from last year at all.
There is though. Treble winning team got 78 points. Each season is different and let's say city weren't so far ahead, there's no way we'd have only got 5 in 15 in last games. We'll probably drop points v wolves by playing weak team which might not happen another year. The mentality is the biggest concern. Top players and top teams don't pack it in after top 4 is confirmed

Abhinav

Lot of progress.

Taking of foot from the gas pedal when we have 2nd / 3rd place in hand is normal. What we are seeing is us preparing for the final.
The best way to prepare for the final is to keep the winning momentum. Not sure how not winning any of the last 4 games is a good preparation.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
But we didn’t. And we still wouldn’t have been challenging for the title. This isn’t a knee jerk reaction. I’ve been asking questions about how much progress we’re actually making for a while.
why not bump one of your other threads then as I'm sure if this isn't knee jerk and you've been asking for a while they'll surely be one no and not just tonight after a draw

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
What, the guy who brought Andy Cole off with 9 minutes to go of a Champions League final we were losing? The issue you appear to be missing is us not having an Ole level striker sitting on our bench.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean your argument that we would have had more points had we won the last 3 games we didn't is quite idiotic. Did you use this to defend our previous managers or just Ole?
do you have to be abusive when someone disagrees with you?

Roboc7

At the end of Jose’s second season we finished 18 points off City and was fair reflection of gulf in quality in terms of manager and players. 15 points this season is also a fair reflection, if there isn’t huge investment and Ole doesn’t have a lot more to offer we’re more likely to go backward next season than close that gap.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The best way to prepare for the final is to keep the winning momentum. Not sure how not winning any of the last 4 games is a good preparation.
According to one poster here, we are in. "cruise control".:lol::lol:

ivaldo

This is kind of my point though. Given we’ve a better team should results not be better?
It is though, right? We've been able to disregard the last 5 games of the season, knowing we are comfortably qualifying and in all probability finishing in second place.

Godfather

There is though. Treble winning team got 78 points. Each season is different and let's say city weren't so far ahead, there's no way we'd have only got 5 in 15 in last games.
We don't know that. We've looked shit since the Roma first leg.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
How much progress are we actually making? As things stand we’re sitting 15 points behind the league leaders. We were dumped out of the Champions League at the first stage. We’ve made no domestic finals.

Most would agree our squad is better than it was three years ago and Solskjaer deserves credit for that. With that being said, should results not be better? Is limping to second in possibly the worst Premier League season really a sign of progress? Are we actually any closer to a proper title challenge?
What are you talking about, we beat Roma 6-2 and that showed all the ridiculous posters on here that we are great, play great football and they are to be ridiculed and shamed for suggesting that we aren't.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Alright let's all overreact to us dropping points in games that have 0 beating on our final standing at the end of the season...

We're 2nd, in the europa league final with a hugely improved general performance throughout the season. Good chance we finish 2nd and with a trophy. Not sure why anyone would claim that isn't progress. Mentality we need to do a bit more at finding consistency, as right now we vary way too much through a game, either sloppy when it means nothing or amazing when we are up against it and everyone is fully focused. We got a lot better with it but take out any pressure in the league and well, yeah, you'll see some very mediocre performances. Happens always at the end of the season though.

Dobba

Is the gotcha here that Ole isn't as good a manager as the greatest to ever do it? Hands up, you've got me there sergeant.

I'm just checking and it still looks like Andy Cole got brought off with 9 minutes to go in a European Cup Final we were losing. But bringing off a striker in a meaningless PL game is where you draw the line.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We don't know that. We've looked shit since the Roma first leg.
Because every game has been entirely meaningless since that first leg? Take the pressure off and every game becomes somewhat unpredictable (City Newcastle finishing 4-3 the other day is a perfect example).

Godfather

What, the guy who brought Andy Cole off with 9 minutes to go of a Champions League final we were losing?
He wouldn't have brought on a midfielder instead. Especially not one that hasn't looked a proper footballer since joining us.

acnumber9

why not bump one of your other threads then as I'm sure if this isn't knee jerk and you've been asking for a while they'll surely be one no and not just tonight after a draw
Because I haven’t posted a thread in about ten years. Here’s some recent posts comparing to 2018.
The point I am making was shown in my earlier posts. There are parallels to when we last finished second. That post I quoted was from 2018. It could just as easily apply now.

It all comes down to an opinion on what qualifies as poor performances. Results don’t mean performances aren’t poor. United have shown they can play poorly and win. I would say most of the footballing world would agree that United’s performances aren’t great. Eventually results catch up unless the performances improve.
None of that changes the similarities in performances and results. C in particular points to the fact we should be doing better now. We’re at a similar point to where we were 6 months before Solskjaer took the job. Provided we get better again next season then all is well. In order for that to happen he needs to start getting better performances out of the players we have and our board need to get their finger out and strengthen the squad. I’m not sure it will happen.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'm trying to remain optimistic as we all should - but things like AWB simply not being coached or not listening is really concerning.

A few times earlier in the season he got caught looking towards the ball on the opposite flank, and forgetting that he's supposed to be marking somone. Fine, he's young.

But it's now a year later and he's doing the exact same thing. Either the coaches aren't telling him or he's not listening.

Similarly, we've conceded 14 goals from set pieces. That's unforgiveable how much posession we have and how few we should be condeding.

ivaldo

It's back pedal . English is clearly too difficult for you
:lol: feck sake. There's a thread in the general this type of abdomination belongs. In fairness are am pretty drunk. Honest!

hobbers

We're 2nd, in the europa league final with a hugely improved general performance throughout the season. Good chance we finish 2nd and with a trophy. Not sure why anyone would claim that isn't progress.
And if we don't win that trophy could you still in all conscience call this season progress?

Because points wise it isn't (well, barely). In terms of performances and results in the big games we've gone backwards alarmingly. And we haven't been able to string together two solid halves of good football all season.