Our Rivals Squad next year - Chelsea

TheMuffer

Muffer, relax. You can't count Kalas and Bertrand as success's. Kalas May go on to do well for us but he has about 2 first team starts. I wouldn't count that as being near the first team (as in being a near regular starter)
I am not counting them at all....but when plonkers come out and say that None have been anywhere near the first team...then it is infact an incorrect statement.

REJE

All the hype around Costa is insane, one good goal scoring season out of 7-8 and people talk about him like he's the dogs bollocks.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Kalas did well against the scousers, your team really should use its youth more often.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I am not counting then at all....but when plonkers come out and say that None have been anywhere near the first team...then it is infact an incorrect statement.
Depends on your meaning of first team. If just playing once a season is your definition then yes, we have brought through some youth players. Many view first team as actually being a regular member of the squad, something we have failed to do over the past few years. Despite obviously having a talented bunch, no-one gets close.

I do however think that will change, given just how talented some of our youngsters are now.

TheMuffer

Depends on your meaning of first team. If just playing once a season is your definition then yes, we have brought through some youth players. Many view first team as actually being a regular member of the squad, something we have failed to do over the past few years. Despite obviously having a talented bunch, no-one gets close.

I do however think that will change, given just how talented some of our youngsters are now.
I understand that...but when posters question the clubs youth policy they should phrase their wording a bit more carefully instead of using words like NONE...its not that difficult to say just a few..or sporadic appearances.
Josh, bertie, plus a few others from the youth have all had sporadic appearances or cameos.
Posters also refuse to believe that the club and Mourinho have a commitment to the academy and that it is changing

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I understand that...but when posters question the clubs youth policy they should phrase their wording a bit more carefully instead of using words like NONE...its not that difficult to say just a few..or sporadic appearances.
Josh, bertie, plus a few others from the youth have all had sporadic appearances or cameos.
Posters also refuse to believe that the club and Mourinho have a commitment to the academy and that it is changing
Or you could just stop being pedantic when it was obvious what the other posters meant.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
That Fab lad is a bit good isnt he? He looks hungry, and hes coming to eat your team!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
All the hype around Costa is insane, one good goal scoring season out of 7-8 and people talk about him like he's the dogs bollocks.
That'd be the Costa who just produced 2 delicious assists tonight, after scoring in his first game right? ;)

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
RVP only had 1 really good goalscoring season before he joined United too though ( one decent one as well but only one worth mentioning.)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
RVP only had 1 really good goalscoring season before he joined United too though ( one decent one as well but only one worth mentioning.)
What?

RVP scored more than 20 goals in a season three times in his last four seasons for Arsenal.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
We've made a massive profit on him, though I am concerned we'll be in another Sturridge situation. On the plus side, we didn't let him go for peanuts.

So, Luiz, Ba and Lukaku out for £80m, Lamps, Eto'o and Cole off the wage bill too.

Costa, Fabregas and Luis in for £75m. Not bad eh?

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
What?

RVP scored more than 20 goals in a season three times in his last four seasons for Arsenal.
Thats not a great goal scoring record when you consider only 11 of those 20 were in the league one season and the other 18 out of 22 which I class as a decent season.

Otherwise by that logic you would class Torres 12/13 season where he scored 22 for us a great season.

Plus the season before Costa scored 20 goals, and hes also younger. In fact somehow you;ve managed to disprove your own argument.!

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
that is some profit..cost 12m..got 5m in loans
Indeed, £33m including loans last season, cost us between £10m-£12m, didn't play enough to bring the add ons into play.

That's £20m profit (at the very least). Incredible actually.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thats not a great goal scoring record when you consider only 11 of those 20 were in the league one season and the other 18 out of 22 which I class as a decent season.

Otherwise by that logic you would class Torres 12/13 season where he scored 22 for us a great season.
You're a bit weird. You mentioned that RVP only had one good season before joining United, I countered that by saying that he scored 20 goals in 3 season and then suddenly now you're saying that's not a great record.

That wasn't the argument in the first place, oh and btw context is everything. Torres played 64 matches and 22 goals in that season, that's obviously not good considering it's a 1 in 3 record.

TheMuffer

Indeed, £33m including loans last season, cost us between £10m-£12m, didn't play enough to bring the add ons into play.

That's £20m profit (at the very least). Incredible actually.
not actually sure about 'play enough'..do loan games not count?

TheMuffer

last 2 and half season from the age of 22/23 he has done ok 52 matches 36 goals, 44 matches 20 goals (playing out wide supporting Falcao) and 16 games 10 goals on loan ...not too shabby

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
last 2 and half season from the age of 22/23 he has done ok 52 matches 36 goals, 44 matches 20 goals (playing out wide supporting Falcao) and 16 games 10 goals on loan ...not too shabby
He played centrally when Falcao was there, drifted out wide at times (and still does when playing right up top) but never really played as a winger.

I think he'll do well though, he's been in really good form for about one and a half seasons now, so I think people are being harsh by calling him a one season wonder.

TheMuffer

He played centrally when Falcao was there, drifted out wide at times (and still does when playing right up top) but never really played as a winger.

I think he'll do well though, he's been in really good form for about one and a half seasons now, so I think people are being harsh by calling him a one season wonder.
I think you will find that he supported Falcao who was the main man upfront and he often came in from out wide...not at all times but quite a lot. never suggested he was a winger

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I think you will find that he supported Falcao who was the main man upfront and he often came in from out wide...not at all times but quite a lot. never suggested he was a winger
Yeah he played as a supporting strker, from a deeper central position, not out wide. Not that it makes much difference.

TheMuffer

Yeah he played as a supporting strker, from a deeper central position, not out wide. Not that it makes much difference.
he was tried today in the 2nd half playing out wide supporting Torres. Must say that he looked OK on the touchline as well....though prefer him down the middle

John_Jensen

Plus the season before Costa scored 20 goals, and hes also younger. In fact somehow you;ve managed to disprove your own argument.!
Van Persie played 3 seasons as Arsenal's starting centre forward, with a record of 9 in 16, 18 in 25 and 30 in 38 in the league.

SambaBoy

no this is what you said

no need to backtrack
Clearly states 10 year plan beforehand?

Either way, you stating this "10 year plan" is falling into place is laughable. Since that 10 year plan introduction, no-one has broke through and made a notable impact for Chelsea.

TheMuffer

Clearly states 10 year plan beforehand?

Either way, you stating this "10 year plan" is falling into place is laughable. Since that 10 year plan introduction, no-one has broke through and made a notable impact for Chelsea.
do you not understand..the 10 year plan was to have academy players breaking through into the 1st team squad and hopefully playing after 10 years.
They had to start from scratch, with the building of a new academy and structure the way forward. The first thing after getting facilities forward was to start producing youth teams of good quality throughout all the age groups.
I think it is fair to say that Chelsea have one of the strongest academies worldwide in regards to success in competitions for differing age groups.
The next stage and probably the most difficult for any club at the top level is to bring some of the best prospects through into the first team squad and start playing them. Sometimes they have had to go on loan or sometime like this season 3 or 4 them get promoted into 1st team squad.
It has started to happen over last few years but not on a regular basis...the club and Mourinho intend to right this and Mourinho has even stated this past week that if at least 3 or 4 of these lads are not picked by England in the future then he will have failed.
whats so wrong with that

Lane

I have been impressed with Chelsea's selling power to be honest. While City and PSG decided to make a bogus financial data with inflated revenues and failed, Chelsea found quite an interesting way to make do with new FFP regime, a page from Porto's playbook in a way. They bought o lot of talent and now they are selling them off with a profit and can rest easy knowing that these huge sales will offset any operating loss they are likely to make.
Did not think they have it in them, but hats off to them.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I have been impressed with Chelsea's selling power to be honest. While City and PSG decided to make a bogus financial data with inflated revenues and failed, Chelsea found quite an interesting way to make do with new FFP regime, a page from Porto's playbook in a way. They bought o lot of talent and now they are selling them off with a profit and can rest easy knowing that these huge sales will offset any operating loss they are likely to make.
Did not think they have it in them, but hats off to them.
They became sneakily good at doing business after that first phase. Look for them to sell Piazon and others for a great price. But unlike Porto they loan to market their youngsters

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So, Luiz, Ba and Lukaku out for £80m, Lamps, Eto'o and Cole off the wage bill too.

Costa, Fabregas and Luis in for £75m. Not bad eh?
Now that's what I call great business, sold all the unwanted 2nd rated players and replaced by world/top class players with profit.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Papers report we're in for Atleticos Miranda.

Firstly we might as well just switched teams with them and secondly, is he better than the TV show of the same name?

Do Caffers rate him?

NMF

Firstly we might as well just switched teams with them and secondly, is he better than the TV show of the same name?

Do Caffers rate him?
His been one of the best defenders in La Liga the past two seasons.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, he's a CB.
Nice, apparently for a fee of around 20m, so the Lukaku money could be used. Team pretty much complete then, although I would like to see another striker, so maybe Cavani too.

Malva

Do Caffers rate him?
the best centreback in the league full stop, comfortably too in my opinion. the only slight is that he's not extremely physical for a centreback, which could be a slight disadvantage.. but the likes of evans and koscielny aren't stronger then him and do just fine.

it would be a crying shame if atletico lost him though. i'd rather not see that team be so picked apart after being 1 minute from winning the champions league and league double. Miranda is one of the most important parts of that team, with the team so successful because of their unrivaled defence.

Malva

even if he doesn't score he's worth the praise.. he's an extremely tenacious physical beast of a player, strong as a bull, one of the faster players of la liga, and extremely clever in his movement and runs that he makes. Even when he was second fiddle to falcao he was super influential in atletico's success, when falcao left and villa came, alot of atletico fans i talked to thought it was very possible that the new costa-villa partnership could be even deadlier then with falcao, and they were almost right.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nice, apparently for a fee of around 20m, so the Lukaku money could be used. Team pretty much complete then, although I would like to see another striker, so maybe Cavani too.
You can't have two strikers like Costa and Cavani in a 4231 and keep them both happy. You might buy a cheap alternative to Costa at a knockdown price though.

I think you won't buy in this window anymore.