Our strongest XI

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
De Gea

AWB Lindelof Maguire Williams

McTominay Fred

Bruno

New Signing Martial Rashford​

Think we'll see this from the summer, maybe another few upgrades especially with Pogba money.
6th.

dutchred

..DDG

AWB Maguire - Shaw Williams

Bruno - McTominay - Fred - Pogba

..............Martial - Rashford
Subs
James
Lindelof
Tuanzebe
Garner
Gomes
Chong
Romero

Irwin99

I posted this in the Ole thread but I think that we still don't have a clear idea of our best 11 despite people saying injuries have prevented us (in some respects they have, in others no).

There are too many places in this team that aren't nailed down in terms of starters to say that we've been unable to field a consistent quality 11 and I've seen worse injury periods at United by far. Rashford and Martial have undeniably been the biggest misses and that has been a factor but I really think Pogba brings as many problems as he solves in a midfield two. For a good 4 or 5 positions you can take one player out of this team and the replacement can perform at the same consistency (good/average to poor). I don't see an established 11 that would definitely play if everyone was fit and would add another ten points to the league table, although hopefully the Bruno transfer helps with this.

The number 10 position (in theory) should be greatly improved. The midfield is anyone's guess but Fred plus 1 is probably the most popular. In a 3-5-2 I'd go with this (but i'm somewhat sceptical);

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw
Williams

Fred
Matic
Bruno or Pogba

Martial
Rashford

The RW spot is no longer a big problem in this system, and Pogba/Bruno should add more creativity. It doesn't look super exciting though as most of that team is pure function over attacking intent. I guess we'll see if Pogba and Bruno can play in the same team effectively.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Right now

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Lindelof
Dalot Fred Matic Williams
Fernandes
Greenwood Martial
With everyone fit

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
Fred
Fernandes Pogba
Greenwood Martial Rashford
Next Season (if we are going to challenge for the title)

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka New CB Maguire New LB
New CM Fred
New RW Fernandes Rashford
New CF
5 new starters still needed (assuming Pogba leaves)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Gea- AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw- Pogba, Fred, Bruno - new Rw, Martial, Rashford. And for me, it looks great.

How things are going on so far it will be next season:
Henderson- AWB( Laird), Tuanzebe( Jones), Maguire( Smalling) Williams( Shaw) -McT( Garner), Bruno( Lingard), Longstaff( Rice)- James, Greenwood( King), Rashford( Gomes).

De gea- to Juve
Martial- to Bayern
Pogba- to Real
Lindelof- to Barca
Fred- to Inter

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Our strongest XI isnt that bad actually imo

something like:
.............................................De Gea.........................................
AWB............Lindeloff..............................Maguire..........Shaw
...........................................Mctominy......................................
........................Fernandes.......................Pogba......................
......James..........................Rashford........................Martial...

But our back ups look frankly awful compared to a lot of the other top clubs:

...........................................Romero.........................................
..............Jones...................Bailly............Tuanzebe................
Dalot..................Fred...................Periera....................Williams
..............Mata....................Greenwood...........Lingaard...........

Canagel

Romero
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Bruno Matic Fred Pogba
Rashford Martial

James Ward

Our strongest XI isnt that bad actually imo

something like:
.............................................De Gea.........................................
AWB............Lindeloff..............................Maguire..........Shaw
...........................................Mctominy......................................
........................Fernandes.......................Pogba......................
......James..........................Rashford........................Martial...

But our back ups look frankly awful compared to a lot of the other top clubs:

...........................................Romero.........................................
..............Jones...................Bailly............Tuanzebe................
Dalot..................Fred...................Periera....................Williams
..............Mata....................Greenwood...........Lingaard...........
Still won't battle for the title with that team with Shaw, Scott, Martial, Victor,James and AWB. Definitely get top four though.

If we replaced James, Martial and Scott might have a chance.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I absolutely hate a 5-3-2 formation. And don't kid yourself. It is a 5-3-2 NOT a 3-5-2. The formation is way too defensive and our FB's don't offer the proper play in attack to make it work. The only way it is a 3-5-2 and not a 5-3-2 is if we play with one centre half and 2 FB's and that would be suicide. All this 5-3-2 crap is just Ole trying to get 2 strikers on the pitch. Well if that's the case, then why not play a 4-4-2? I'm not asking for a 4-4-2 against every team, but definitely against most of the teams in the league. Our biggest problem against the crap teams is we can't break them down despits having 70% possession. If we went to a 4-4-2 we would have less possession which would open up space to counter attack. Either way, assuming everyone is fit and without counting on Pogba, this is our best formation

-----------------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------------
AWB--------------Lindeloff------------------Maguire--------------Shaw
------------------------McTominay---------Fred-------------------------------
James----------------------------Bruno-------------------------Rashford
-------------------------------------Martial---------------------------------------

I know that many are calling for Williams over Shaw, but I just don't like a right footed player at LB. It worked with Irwin, but for the most part a right footer should be at RB, overlapping his winger and whipping in crosses. With that being said, if we insist on playing a 5-3-2 and with the players we have available, I would line up like so:

---------------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------------
Williams------AWB-------------Maguire----------Lindeloff----------Shaw
--------------------------Fred---------------------Matic---------------------------------
--------------------------------------Bruno-------------------------------------------
--------------------James---------------------Martial-------------------------------

Sea-Cow

:lol:

You're not wrong.

I think with a different manager that line-up could potentially crack the top four, depending on the quality of that X player new-signing, but no chance with the current managers at the wheel.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I posted this in the Ole thread but I think that we still don't have a clear idea of our best 11 despite people saying injuries have prevented us (in some respects they have, in others no).
Yeah you're going to have to explain that one

Dve

4-3-3

.....................DDG

Bissaka - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Williams

........................Matic

.......Fernandes ....... Pogba

....James - Martial - Rashford

Irwin99

Yeah you're going to have to explain that one
I just did. Read below:

For a good 4 or 5 positions you can take one player out of this team and the replacement can perform at the same consistency (good/average to poor). I don't see an established 11 that would definitely play if everyone was fit and would add another ten points to the league table, although hopefully now the Bruno transfer helps with one of those positions.

People now argue (with some good reason) that Matic complements the team better than McTominay, others that Fred and Mctominay are a better midfield than McT and Pogba, and so on. Can you really name a first choice midfield that you'd say for certain are the best combination. Injuries to Mctominay and Matic have not been as significant as some make out because there simply isn't the quality there that will make a massive difference.

People said we had our best team available at the start of the season and guess what, we got 5 points from 4 games with Pogba, Martial and Rashford on the pitch. Our strongest 11 in terms of quality and balance is still a mystery at this point IMO. Injuries don't detract from the fact that we probably don't know our best team still.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I just did. Read below:

For a good 4 or 5 positions you can take one player out of this team and the replacement can perform at the same consistency (good/average to poor). I don't see an established 11 that would definitely play if everyone was fit and would add another ten points to the league table, although hopefully now the Bruno transfer helps with one of those positions.

People now argue (with some good reason) that Matic complements the team better than McTominay, others that Fred and Mctominay are a better midfield than McT and Pogba, and so on. Can you really name a first choice midfield that you'd say for certain are the best combination. Injuries to Mctominay and Matic have not been as significant as some make out because there simply isn't the quality there that will make a massive difference.

People said we had our best team available at the start of the season and guess what, we got 5 points from 4 games with Pogba, Martial and Rashford on the pitch. Our strongest 11 in terms of quality and balance is still a mystery at this point IMO. Injuries don't detract from the fact that we probably don't know our best team still.
Not sure who these people are that you keep referring to but we've got 90 minutes out of our strongest XI once this season

You also seem to use the fact that others have stepped up as a criticism which is just mental. I guess you'd of preferred the likes of Matic to have stayed shite?

Lee565

With everyone fit what would stop us playing the 3241 formation man city use with mahrez and sterling as their wide men rather than actual fullbacks and playing de bruyne and Silva behind aguero.

I would say we would have harder working players using such a formation and a better back 3. We could use James on the right and rashford on the left wing and pogba and Fernandes as the attacking midfielders with mctominay and fred sitting behind them and martial up top.

Jacob

DDG

AWB - - - - MAGUIRE - - - - - AXEL - - - - WILLIAMS

FRED - - - - - - SCOTT

JAMES - - - - - - - - - - BRUNO - - - - - - - - MARTIAL

IGHALO

TRUERED89

—Awb——Lindelof——-Maguire——-Williams

——————-————-Matic————————

————-———-Bruno——Fred——————-

——Greenwood— -Ighalo——Martial———

Last edited:

NoPace

With everyone healthy, I think it might be:

Rashford--------Martial---------------------
-----------------------------Bruno-----------------
Williams----Pogba---Fred------James
---------Lindelof-Maguire--AWB----------

We'd have wide players eager to get forward, 3 proper defenders and Fred to give Pogba the support needed to play him in a 2 man midfield. If the game is going poorly or we need a goal you just shift James to LW and Bruno tucked in on the right and we're playing a 4-4-2.

I could be talked into starting Shaw in the back 3 over AWB.

hubbuh

With everyone healthy, I think it might be:

Rashford--------Martial---------------------
-----------------------------Bruno-----------------
Williams----Pogba---Fred------James
---------Lindelof-Maguire--AWB----------

We'd have wide players eager to get forward, 3 proper defenders and Fred to give Pogba the support needed to play him in a 2 man midfield. If the game is going poorly or we need a goal you just shift James to LW and Bruno tucked in on the right and we're playing a 4-4-2.

I could be talked into starting Shaw in the back 3 over AWB.
Why on earth would that happen?

NoPace

Why on earth would that happen?
Shaw's done well at LCB I think (particularly against Salah). I think the actual solution is playing Wan-Bissaka an hour and then throwing Shaw in and just switching Lindelof from LCB to RCB, since Wan-Bissaka has done well but then looked noticeably gassed near the end of games.

Also, while we all like the idea of Wan-Bissaka playing in a back 3 because he's a great tackler and poor going forward, we have little evidence it will actually work.

sp_107

DDG

AWB - - - - MAGUIRE - - - - - LINDELOF - - - - WILLIAMS

- - - - - - - - - SCOTT- - - - - - - -

--------FRED - - - - - - POGBA----

- - - - - - - - - - BRUNO - - - - - - - -

---------IGHALO ----GREENWOOD---------

James and martial as backup until Rashford is back​

arthurka

Ddg
Awb - Bailly - Maguire - Williams

Pogba - McT

Bruno

Rashford - Ighalo - Martial

Subs
Romero
James
Greenwood
Tuanzebe
Matic
Fred
Shaw

Renegade

Ddg
Awb - Bailly - Maguire - Williams

Pogba - McT

Bruno

Rashford - Ighalo - Martial

Subs
Romero
James
Greenwood
Tuanzebe
Matic
Fred
Shaw
This for next season?
Ighalo? Rashford on the right? Bailey? whats the reasoning behind these choices if you don’t mind me asking? When has Rashford ever looked good on the right side?

arthurka

This for next season?
Ighalo? Rashford on the right? Bailey? whats the reasoning behind these choices if you don’t mind me asking? When has Rashford ever looked good on the right side?
We won't sign anyone this summer so just preparing for what it's to come. Anyone but Lindelöf will do in defense.

Schmeichel=God

This is my strongest 11 once Pogba is back imo. Where there's player 1/player 2 this is my first choice/rotation. Rashford gone for a while. Leaving out players I would now be looking to get rid of (Martial/Shaw/Lingard) and those that are absolute backups or down the pecking order (Matic/Lindelof/Pereira/Jones/Bailly)

Greenwood slightly dropped. Both strikers running channels to support Williams and James/Dalot up the pitch. Pogba & Fernandes to get forward with runs. Outer centre backs encouraged to come forward and wide.

Edit: oh shii Smalling somehow got in there. Well pretend it was possible to have brought him back from Roma! As I rate Smalling better than Maguire for agility and aggression. Otherwise it's Lindelof in his place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ødegaard

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d stick with the 3-4-1-2 but play AWB in Cb with Maguire and Lindelöf so we can have a better attacking RWB in Dalot

DDG
AWB HM VL
DD Fred NM BW
BF
AM MG

Web of Bissaka

3 out of our best 11 are out injured.

DDG
Wall Lind Mag Will
Fred
McT Pogba
Bruno
Martial Rashford
RW issue is a meme at this point... funny how many years we've wasted not getting one.

Alemar

—————-————de Gea—————————-
Bissaka——Lindelof—Maguire—Williams
——————————-Fred——————————
————-McTominay——-Pogba——————
——————————Bruno—————————-
—————Greenwood—-Rashford—————

Sparky Rhiwabon

Next season we should be aiming for:
De Gea
AWB Maguire *New CB* *New LB*
McTominay Fred Bruno
*New RF* *New Striker* Rashford

4 decent new signings and that should be a good team. I assume Pogba will be off to help fund this.

Bestietom

-----------------------De Gea-----------------

AWB--------New CB-------Maguire------Williams

------------------- New DM --------------------------

----------Fred/McTominay-------------Fernandes

New RW---------------New CF-----------------Rashford

Hopefully next season, and assuming Pogba goes. 4 new players in.

Bestietom

If we do only have Matic, Fred, and Fernandes as the midfield 3 against Chelsea I would think it's good enough.

RedDevilRoshi

-----------------------De Gea-----------------

AWB--------New CB-------Maguire------Williams

------------------- New DM --------------------------

----------Fred/McTominay-------------Fernandes

New RW---------------New CF-----------------Rashford

Hopefully next season, and assuming Pogba goes. 4 new players in.
If Pogba was to go, we’d need another creative midfielder in. Especially if Fernandes was to get injured.

Other than that, I agree with the other 4 additions that you have highlighted above.

Ander herrera the warrior

Next season we should be aiming for:
De Gea
AWB Maguire *New CB* *New LB*
McTominay Fred Bruno
*New RF* *New Striker* Rashford

4 decent new signings and that should be a good team. I assume Pogba will be off to help fund this.
That's not 4 new signings, because once Pogba leaves we will need a new midfielder, it doesn't have to directly replace him, but we need depth.

Our transfer priority should be this imo

1. New striker
2. New right forward
3. New deep lying playmaker
4. New left back
5. New centreback

Realistically under Ed would make about 3 signings. So I don't think we will sign a new left back or centreback. We would have to do with Shaw/Williams and Lindelof/Tuanzebe for a while at least.

paulscholes18

Everyone fit
DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Williams
McTominay

Bruno Pogba
Greenwood Martial Rashford

2nd 11
Romero
Dalot Tuanzebe bailly Shaw
Fred Matic
Mata Periera
James
Lingard

For a top 4 Squad
Bold 1st 11 Need upgrading
bold 2nd 11 not good enough

Doracle

If everyone was fit I’d probably go with:

De Gea

AWB
Maguire
Jones
Shaw

McT
Fred
Pogba

Bruno

Martial
Rashford

Essentially, that’s playing Bruno as a false 9, with Rashford and Martial splitting left and right to provide width. It’s not ideal but I don’t currently think we have a RW who I’d consider worth a starting role.

Adamsk7

I just wish players would pass and move. I wish our fullbacks would overlap like real fullbacks.

Watching Spurs v City and it’s like a different game. We are the only team in the league that plays in this slow, static way. I just don’t understand it

eire-red

If everyone is fit, the back four picks itself - AWB, Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw.

Midfield, one of Fred and McTominay, alongside Pogba and Bruno. May leave us open defensively but we desperately need some creativity and guile. A midfield of McTominay and Fred is too functional for my liking, feel like they both do the same job essentially.

Up top - Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. Our biggest goal threats and the best attackers to utilise the ability of Bruno and Pogba in midfield.

Still feel like we're 4 players away, and I mean 4 top, top players. Another CB, another CM, RW and a top CF. This is assuming Pogba doesn't leave either. I have no idea who those 4 players should be, however.

In midfield, maybe Zakaria? RW would obviously be Sancho in an ideal world. CF and CB are the two positions where I don't really know. Summer is so important for us. At times this season you really feel like with some of our performances we're nearly there, just a few missing links. The real question now is can we go and get them.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I'd like to see the 4-4-2 diamond and Rashford with Ighalo/Martial on top. Ighalo mixing with Rash would be this classical mix of styles of strikers, as I feel that he might be even more efficient than Tony is. I'd just cut out the wingers - team is too unbalanced.

Defence would be the usual one - Shaw, Maguire, Lindelöf and AWB. But midfield would have McTominay as DM, Pogba and Fred CM and Bruno AM. I feel that the midfield wouldn't be unbalanced as McTom and Fred are energetic, Pogba and Bruno would add creativity and create chances for strikers. They can swap positions easily if needed and both are superb long range shooters, too.

3-5-2 would be another option, but Shaw's attacking mentality is abysmal and I don't know whether Bailly or Tuanzebe would be a good addition in the 3. Midfield would sit out one of the creative ones or using a 3-5-1-1, then Pogba and Bruno can swap places between AM and CM.