Our weak attack

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With the talk of CBs, fullbacks and DM as a must, I think there's a more glaring need to upgrade our attack.

A quick look of the Top 2 we need to overcome:

Liverpool: Salah, Firminho, Mane, Origi, Sturridge, Shaqiri.
Man City: Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Sane.

Then compare them to ours: Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard.

On paper, our attack has bigger names in Lukaku, Sanchez, and Mata. But in reality, those three are pretty useless (with Sanchez frequently injured and god knows if he'll be any good). Which left Rashford, Martial, and Lingard; two young players and a world class hardworker; for the long season.

So, are you confident our attack could carry us to the League Title next season?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We'd definitely need an upgrade on the RW - assuming Sanchez is finished. I think we can aim for the title with Rashford and Martial - plus another. Assuming they both keep developing - & especially if Rashford maintains this ridiculous level he's currently at.

Lingard will be a good squad option, along with Lukaku, who could offer something off the bench (not sure if his transfer fee or hunger to start will allow him to be a sub though). We need to upgrade on Mata most probably as well - maybe an opportunity to bring in some youth?

I think if Sanchez is done, we'd probably be looking on getting rid of him too. Not sure that's possible with his wages.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We need a bloody winger. Just look at our heatmaps. Barely anything on our right side. Fecking ridiculous.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We'd definitely need an upgrade on the RW - assuming Sanchez is finished. I think we can aim for the title with Rashford and Martial - plus another. Assuming they both keep developing - & especially if Rashford maintains this ridiculous level he's currently at.

Lingard will be a good squad option, along with Lukaku, who could offer something off the bench (not sure if his transfer fee or hunger to start will allow him to be a sub though). We need to upgrade on Mata most probably as well - maybe an opportunity to bring in some youth?

I think if Sanchez is done, we'd probably be looking on getting rid of him too. Not sure that's possible with his wages.
Under SAF, the team never rely on only young player to lead the attack. There was Rooney or Ronaldo, but we had RVN as the main man. Now we have Rashford and Martial, who both still need at least a couple years to be ready, imho. Btw, don't tell me Lukaku as our main striker.

sugar_kane

We’re only six goals behind Liverpool this season and only two behind Spurs, and that’s with negative Jose in charge for three quarters of the season.

Yes we need an upgrade on Lingard (Sanchez if he can get his shit together) and/or someone who can play out right but no teams are perfect. Our attack is very high quality, with a bit more coaching they’ll be unplayable.

As deputies we have Mata, Lukaku and Fellaini, followed by Chong, Greenwood and Gomes.

Defence is the priority, with no stand out quality there, and a replacement for Matic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Under SAF, the team never rely on only young player to lead the attack. There was Rooney or Ronaldo, but we had RVN as the main man. Now we have Rashford and Martial, who both still need at least a couple years to be ready, imho. Btw, don't tell me Lukaku as our main striker.
On the bolded bit - where'd you get that from my post? I thought I was pretty clear in saying Lukaku can have an impact as a squad player - not sure he'll be happy with that role though.

There was that season in 2006/2007 though, where Rooney and Ronaldo just both seem to step it up another level. We were very exciting to watch. Here's hoping Rashford and Martial can have a similar impact next season (but yeah, Rooney and Ronaldo were special, of course).

I think if we get that RW sorted - that could be the experienced player up top you're referring to. An in form Sanchez would obviously have been ideal - he can interchange with the other 2 to make the attack more fluid etc., but the longer time goes by, the less likely it is that he'll rediscover his form.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We need a bloody winger. Just look at our heatmaps. Barely anything on our right side. Fecking ridiculous.
Does it have to be RW? City and Liverpool don't really have RW.

Patrick08

I think a diamond or a 4312 is a good option once defense is strengthened and that can be done without a right sided winger who will block Some one's chances, either its lukaku or Sanchez or Martial. There is lot more versatility that way as well.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Our attack is not weak. So tiring to hear nonsense like these while at the same people seeing posts over rating other teams attacks.

As shown since Ole took over we have one of the best attack in the league and that's a fact, we're scoring at an incredible rate as well. Saying our attack is weak is a myth by now. Sure we can always upgrade and bring in a RW but by no mean is our attack weak.

We have a usually 25 goals a season striker as a sub, as well as Sanchez on the bench. How on earth is out attack weak?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On the bolded bit - where'd you get that from my post? I thought I was pretty clear in saying Lukaku can have an impact as a squad player - not sure he'll be happy with that role though.

There was that season in 2006/2007 though, where Rooney and Ronaldo just both seem to step it up another level. We were very exciting to watch. Here's hoping Rashford and Martial can have a similar impact next season (but yeah, Rooney and Ronaldo were special, of course).

I think if we get that RW sorted - that could be the experienced player up top you're referring to. An in form Sanchez would obviously have been ideal - he can interchange with the other 2 to make the attack more fluid etc., but the longer time goes by, the less likely it is that he'll rediscover his form.
2007/08 season? :D I seriously doubt Martial and Rashford could even close to Rooney-Ronaldo next season. But I like your optimism. Finger crossed, man.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
2007/08 season? :D I seriously doubt Martial and Rashford could even close to Rooney-Ronaldo next season. But I like your optimism. Finger crossed, man.
Think it was 06/06 when we wrestled the title back? :drool: 07/08 we obviously went on to achieve even greater things!

Yeah, I doubt it as well - that's just how good Roon-Ron was. But I was referring more in terms of "breakout seasons" almost. Onwards and upwards I say!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We’re only six goals behind Liverpool this season and only two behind Spurs, and that’s with negative Jose in charge for three quarters of the season.

Yes we need an upgrade on Lingard (Sanchez if he can get his shit together) and/or someone who can play out right but no teams are perfect. Our attack is very high quality, with a bit more coaching they’ll be unplayable.

As deputies we have Mata, Lukaku and Fellaini, followed by Chong, Greenwood and Gomes.

Defence is the priority, with no stand out quality there, and a replacement for Matic.

Mata and Fellaini might leave this summer. Lukaku is not a "very high quality" attack. So we can only hope a frequently injured Sanchez to be any good?

Nr.7

There was that season in 2006/2007 though, where Rooney and Ronaldo just both seem to step it up another level. We were very exciting to watch. Here's hoping Rashford and Martial can have a similar impact next season (but yeah, Rooney and Ronaldo were special, of course.

We had Roonaldo, next up is Rashtial. :)

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
With the talk of CBs, fullbacks and DM as a must, I think there's a more glaring need to upgrade our attack.

On paper, our attack has bigger names in Lukaku, Sanchez, and Mata. But in reality, those three are pretty useless (with Sanchez frequently injured and god knows if he'll be any good). Which left Rashford, Martial, and Lingard; two young players and a world class hardworker; for the long season.

So, are you confident our attack could carry us to the League Title next season?
Our defence is what stops us from competing. Not our attack.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It's not weak at all, it's just not as good as City's or Pool's, but I wouldn't say it's far off.

You also left Pogba out, who basically plays as a 10 now and has arguably been the best attacking player in the league since Ole took over.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think we only need a right winger

Martial, Rashford, Lingard are good choice up front

Lukaku is a good backup option

Sanchez, I have no idea whether he can perform under Solskjaer or not

Mata is Mata, decent and reliable, but nothing exciting

But remember we also have Greenwood, who I think will feature alot in future.

And of course, we also have Pogba behind the forwards, who has scored 5 goals and 5 assists in past 6 games?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I know this has been repeated for many times and good chance it might not even happen but if Sanchez regains his form then he will take his attack to completely different level.

Trizy

We need a CT to replace Lukaku and a new RW (only for 8 years now). Let Martial and Rashford fight over the wing spots.

Neither Martial or Rashford are good enough to be a CT that can create and hold up play. Sure they can score goals but look what Firminio offers Pool. He's arguably their best attacker because of the way he plays.

NoPace

I think a diamond or a 4312 is a good option once defense is strengthened and that can be done without a right sided winger who will block Some one's chances, either its lukaku or Sanchez or Martial. There is lot more versatility that way as well.
Yeah, it's boring to say, but what we need is another quality attacker, whether it's a 10 and we play a diamond, or a RW and we play a 4-3-3. I don't think we really know whether our midfield trio, fullbacks and center backs would do better in one or the other yet, or what will suit the Prem (Leicester and Chelsea won the title counterattacking, now it's all attacking and pressing).

A worldclass creative player at the level of De Gea or Pogba who can create chances for Rashford, Martial and even Lukaku to score goals would be massive.

I haven't seen a ton of Bayern this year, but I though James looked brilliant at the World Cup and really showed clever movement off the ball once it was clear that Quintero also had to play for Colombia and he's only useful as a 10. I can think of worse ideas than having Pogba create from the center-left and James from the center-right and us having a proper passer on both sides of the field for once.

crossy1686

career ending
Martial needs to improve and score more goals, his decision making is suspect sometimes. Sanchez either needs to deliver 20 goals or assists a season or we feck him off in the summer. Lukaku also needs to decide what he wants or be shipped out with him.

We should be looking to bring in more pace and dynamism to our attack instead of chasing big names. I know it's probably controversial but I wouldn't mind seeing what Solskjaer could do with a forward line of Martial, Rashford and Zaha. I reckon Zaha would give us a better return than Sanchez currently is, he wouldn't break the bank either. Along with him, we should see what decent wingers or forwards are knocking around the German, Dutch or Portuguese leagues we can mould into United players.

Rafeeq RSA

Looking at our amount of goals scored vs those above us it’s not a concern especially now that we scoring more since Ole. Infact the amount of conceded now has also improved but still a huge gap with united conceding over 50% more goals , certainly an area we need to improve rapidly.

JohnnyLaw

This. All of our options apart from Chong are basically strikers anyways which leaves us with plenty of options for the front.
Allows us to rebuild defence whilst we rely on the depth in midfield we have in Pogba, Pereira, Herrera, Matic, Fred and eventually Gomes and maybe Garner.

Revan

Assumptionman
We either need Sanchez going back to his best, or to sign someone. Rash and Martial are probably good enough to start, but Lingard is IMO more a rotation type of player rather than a starter.

settembrini

We are a right winger away from having a great attack. Someone fast and left footed like Nicolas Pepe would improve us significantly.

Camilo

We're fine, we've loads of quality. It's about how the team play, not the players. Mane and Firminho aren't all that, they're just very effective in a system. City, sure, they're a world away in terms of on paper quality, but as Liverpool are showing, that doesn't necessarily matter.

We'll strengthen in the summer I'm sure, but Ole's job has to be to get Sanchez and Lukaku playing effective football for the rest of the season. With Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Lukaku and Sanchez all firing... feck me that's a enviable attack.

AshleyDevil

I'd sell Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata to be honest (along with a load of other deadwood). I think Sanchez and Mata are getting past it and Lukaku just isn't good enough, even as a sub! Would he get in to Liverpool or Citys starting 11? Absolutely not! so why should he get in ours. I keep saying it but if we want to get back challenging for titles with City & Liverpool we have to be strict and ruthless. I'd like Hirving Lozano as a RW he's very good. Martial, Rashford, Lozano as our front three is a very fast, skillful, talented and young scary front three there which is good enough to compete with City and Liverpools front three. Look to our youth such as Chong, Greenwood etc to be subs brought in or go get others in the market. But as a starting front three? Martial Rashford Lozano.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The issue is the classification of Mata and Jesse as forwards. They stick out as very different to the others in that list, from all clubs. It’s no different to including Eriksen in the list of Spurs forwards.

They should be, somewhere, in the row behind for me.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

That's what this second half of the season will tell us. If come May we can look back at Martial, Rashford and Pogba and they've got 60 goals between them then why not

Mr Smith

Does it have to be RW? City and Liverpool don't really have RW.
Eh? City have Sterling and Marhez, Liverpool played Salah there last season and both Mane and Shaquiri can play there as well.

If you're making the point that those players aren't traditional right wingers (ie that they drift inside rather than stay wide) then I'll allow it. The thing is though if you have a player on the right that drifts inside then you need a top class RB, which we don't really have.

Slik

It’s very clear we need a right winger. Apart from that, the other areas of our attack are as good as any other team’s. As others have suggested , a Douglas Costa or Lozano will be good options. We could also try for a loan for Malcom of Barcelona.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

What is this? We've conceded 34 goals but apparently weak attack is aproblem!? We can upgrade on Mata/Lingard but our attack is far from weak. Infact it's almost complete with potential 15-20 goal a season right sides forward to fit the system.
. In last 6 matches we've outscored all the premier league teams(or level with liverpool) first time we've had an attacking manager and that's without Sanchez playing much even. If we continue at this rate the potential of the attack is scary.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think we're that far off to be fair. If Sturridge or Origi were part of our squad they would literally never play. Shaqiri wouldn't be any more use than someone like Mata.

The difference is Liverpool's first choice three are quality and have enough experience to make the right decisions in games...but that's what we're trying to develop Rashford and Martial in to. Then we have good quality players in addition to that. We score enough goals when we attack.

Compare that to our defence where we barely have a reliable player and are constantly on the verge of a fullback injury crisis, and concede chances for fun whether we attack or not

Raw

I got the PL stats for the top 5 forwards for each of the top 6 below. I used Transfermarkt to classify who classifies as a forward, so players like Pogba, De Bruyne, Alli, Ozil, etc aren't counted as they are regarded as attacking midfielders. Hence why players like Nketiah and Llorente are counted (unless someone can convince me that the likes of Ozil and Alli are actually forwards).

There is an issue with City in that they have 6 forwards with good stats. It seems unfair to omit one of them but for comparisons sake I removed the player with the fewest minutes, which was Jesus.

United: 29 goals, 13 assists - 63.0% of total goals
Rashford: 8 goals, 6 assists
Lukaku: 8 goals, 1 assist
Martial: 8 goals, 1 assist
Lingard: 4 goals, 2 assists
Sanchez: 1 goal, 3 assists

City: 38 goals, 31 assists (43 goals, 33 assists) - 61.3% of total goals (69.4%)
Sterling: 10 goals, 8 assists
Aguero: 10 goals, 5 assists
Sane: 8 goals, 10 assists
B. Silva: 5 goals, 6 assists
Mahrez: 5 goals, 2 assists
(Jesus: 5 goals, 2 assists)

Liverpool: 42 goals, 15 assists - 79.6% of total goals
Salah: 16 goals, 8 assists
Firmino: 9 goals, 4 assists
Mane: 9 goals, 1 assist
Shaqiri: 6 goals, 2 assists
Sturridge: 2 goals, 0 assists

Spurs: 32 goals, 13 assists - 66.7% of total goals
Kane: 14 goals, 4 assists
Son: 8 goals, 6 assists
Moura: 6 goals, 1 assist
Lamela: 4 goals, 2 assists
Llorente: 0 goals, 0 assists

Chelsea: 26 goals, 19 assists - 65.0% of total goals
Hazard: 10 goals, 10 assists
Willian: 3 goals, 4 assists
Pedro: 7 goals, 1 assist
Morata: 5 goals, 0 assists
Giroud: 1 goal, 4 assists

Arsenal: 25 goals, 15 assists - 52.1% of total goals
Aubameyang: 14 goals, 3 assists
Lacazette: 8 goals, 6 assists
Iwobi: 2 goals, 5 assists
Welbeck: 1 goal, 1 assist
Nketiah: 0 goals, 0 assists

Firstly it's obvious that we lack a talismanic forward like Salah, Kane, Hazard and Aubameyang. Someone who would be right up there with the top scorers and have a clear goals+assists lead over the other forwards in their respective clubs. Obviously our poor start wouldn't help things, but for now it seems like Rashford could be that forward. City are an exception in that their forwards are ridiculously productive so there isn't one standout threat, if we were to emulate that we'd need a boost in attacking stats from all our forwards.

There's a difference in tactics that plays a part in the reliance of forwards too. Arsenal especially only has just over 50% of their goals from forwards, relying on midfielders to also bring in goals. Then you have Liverpool who have a huge portion of their goals coming from forwards. The rest have a slight reliance on the forwards (which is completely understandable) with ours slightly lower than Spurs and Chelsea, mainly due to Pogba.

But our attack doesn't seem that weak when you compare it with the teams we're competing for top 4 with, largely due to Ole's influence bringing our attacking performances to a better standard. There's still room for improvement for our attack (such as Sanchez and Lingard), but our sights should be set on our horrible defence. It's our defence that's letting us down.

kundalini

Over recent years, we have kept upgrading our attack, yet managed to make it worse.

Let's see how Martial, Rashford and Lingard perform between now and the end of the season.

I'm utterly bewildered by the idea that Sanchez could be an effective replacement for Lingard. He simply doesn't cover enough distance. Might get away with a few times until opponents noticed.

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Pogba is ridiculously productive for a midfielder, 10 goals 8 assists. He's currently both top goalscorer and top assists delivery guy for Utd

SSSSnake

For me I still want to see Sanchez get a run of games under this new look team. I still have my doubts but if Martial/Rashford can rediscover their form there must be still hope for him.

Otherwise lets free up his wages!

Foxbatt

Sanchez needs to play a couple of games without a break. He is not match sharp at all. Instead of Lukaku Ole should give him a few games to get his form back.