Our window isn’t the great success many claim

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We need to decide if ETH is actually the one we are going forward with. Our transfer policy of backing the players ETH wants/wanted will be a costly mistake.
Feck off :lol: :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me, the most unbelievable thing is buying injured and unproven striker while having zero fit strikers in a team.

Roboc7

We need to decide if ETH is actually the one we are going forward with. Our transfer policy of backing the players ETH wants/wanted will be a costly mistake.
There is no other plan or no one else to make the decisions, if ETH goes it’s just rinse and repeat. There’s also no money, FFP issues and we won’t have a wealth of young talent.

GMoore23

Who claimed the success. One our most underwhelming windows in modern memory so far.

Lee565

Mason mount, the English mctominay, so we brought this guy for 60-65 million and he only had a year left on his contract, this is worse than the sancho transfer at least sancho looked like a potential world beater when we signed him, most people knew mount was bang average

el3mel

It's actually an awful window. Only Onana can be classified as a good business and it was to replace De Gea. Otherwise we signed a bang average English midfielder/winger/who knows what his actual position is for +60m and an injured unproven striker.

Couldn't even manage to move on Maguire.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
There is no other plan or no one else to make the decisions, if ETH goes it’s just rinse and repeat. There’s also no money, FFP issues and we won’t have a wealth of young talent.
I think we assess where we are come December. If we are doing poorly, sack ETH and we get a campaign to get Qatar or Ratcliffe to buy the club. Then start a new rebuild project with De Zerbi (or a manager of similar quality) at the helm. Get a DoF and better recruitment team. That is how our plan should be. If we are not challenging for the title this season, ETH needs to be Sacked, so we don't repeat the mistake we made under Ole.

Roboc7

I think we assess where we are come December. If we are doing poorly, sack ETH and we get a campaign to get Qatar or Ratcliffe to buy the club. Then start a new rebuild project with De Zerbi (or a manager of similar quality) at the helm. Get a DoF and better recruitment team. That is how our plan should be. If we are not challenging for the title this season, ETH needs to be Sacked, so we don't repeat the mistake we made under Ole.
New owners will dismantle everything behind the scenes and start again I’ve no doubt but we might not have new owners for years.

It’s very early days, ETH may well not be here next season as this team could easily finish outside a Champions League spot but we could improve as we did last season.

oreon

Mason Mount was a massive blunder. We should have spent the money on a world class holding midfielder. It's such a massive hold in midfield, I can't believe ETH didn't see it. I am not in favour of firing ETH anytime soon. At minimum he needs 3 seasons. But a lot of fans called out that this midfield would not work, I can't believe he thought it would.

TheLord

Anyone who claimed the window was a success doesn't understand football. The most glaring issues were never fixed, other than the GK.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This club is incredible at spending lots of money and barely improving the first XI. I don't get it.

twitter thread suggester
Even though he is clearly a moron, he has a point. EtH should not have a say in our signings going forward if Mount (As a CM) and Antony are anything to go by.

Champ

Even though he is clearly a moron, he has a point. EtH should not have a say in our signings going forward if Mount (As a CM) and Antony are anything to go by.
The manager always has a say in transfers.

In any club, any structure the manager always works to find targets, whether that's with a director of football, or with the scouting team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

In any club, any structure the manager always works to find targets, whether that's with a director of football, or with the scouting team.
Only in England. In other leagues manager is the coach and Dof builds a squad. Of course, manager has a say in some things but this travesty what United do, you will not see anywhere.
That is why other clubs don't have transition phase, rebuilding phase and other phases.

FromTheBench

Onana and Hoijlund are good signings.

Mount was pointless signing for a role he is not best at.

Lee565

Honestly buying amrabat for 30 million instead mount for 65 million whilst using the other 35 mil towards a proven striker with no dodgy back would have been a drastic improvement instead of the English mctominay who doesn’t have a defined position and a inexperienced striker that we knew was injured and was going to miss the start of the season before signing him and could kill any title hopes within a month

Champ

Only in England. In other leagues manager is the coach and Dof builds a squad. Of course, manager has a say in some things but this travesty what United do, you will not see anywhere.
That is why other clubs don't have transition phase, rebuilding phase and other phases.
Apart from near enough every other club you mean?
Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs all have had 'transitional' phases in the last few years due to change of managers.

Arsenal tried to allow the director of football to have the absolute say in transfers which fell flat in its face, they finally got it right when they got Arteta involved in the process.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Barely addressed the main issues this window - Poor finishing and losing the ball carelessly.Really hope Hojlund is the real deal because if he isn’t, we’re not doing better than last season

ForeverRed1

It’s a poor window in all honesty. No sales worth any value made, nowhere near enough players signed.. we got less than 2 weeks to sort it but we won’t because of the owners.

Kopral Jono

For me, the most unbelievable thing is buying injured and unproven striker while having zero fit strikers in a team.
This, twenty times over. Hojlund could very well be a major success for us in the future but it's just not what we need right now.

Someone

Something

Managers have input but in most top clubs it's never their decision. Liverpool started struggling when Klopp had more of a say, and I'm pretty sure that clubs like Real Madrid plan all their signings regardless to who the manager is. ETH obviously goes for familiarity, and there's a clear lack of planning that was so apparent last summer. Ole was sacked midway through the season, and we were told that a lot of planning is taking place, just so we spend the summer going FDJ, Martinez, Antony, and Malacia. So pretty much we've thrown any plan we had in place and replaced it with EHT asked for. This summer we were a desperate need for a striker, but instead we priotorized signing a midfielder who isn't exactly what we're missing, then a GK (after failing to make a decision on De Gea till the last possible minute), and ended up going into the season with only a 20 years old player who turned out to have a medical issue that we had no time to address because we signed him too late in the window. The whole thing reeks of poor planning and going for what the manager wants.

Someone

Something
Absolutely. I think he'll be a good signing for us, but I can't believe that a club of our size thought that it's ok to start the season with just one 20 years old striker.

MDFC Manager

It's an awful window so far, with no indications it will get better over the remaining days

C'est Moi Cantona

Mount will be the worst signing ever eclipsing Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez and Maguire.
Just rubbish, he is been asked to play in an impossible midfield right now, just look at the state of Casemiro and Bruno in the first two games, like them Mount has been given no chance so far.

Roboc7

Managers have input but in most top clubs it's never their decision. Liverpool started struggling when Klopp had more of a say, and I'm pretty sure that clubs like Real Madrid plan all their signings regardless to who the manager is. ETH obviously goes for familiarity, and there's a clear lack of planning that was so apparent last summer. Ole was sacked midway through the season, and we were told that a lot of planning is taking place, just so we spend the summer going FDJ, Martinez, Antony, and Malacia. So pretty much we've thrown any plan we had in place and replaced it with EHT asked for. This summer we were a desperate need for a striker, but instead we priotorized signing a midfielder who isn't exactly what we're missing, then a GK (after failing to make a decision on De Gea till the last possible minute), and ended up going into the season with only a 20 years old player who turned out to have a medical issue that we had no time to address because we signed him too late in the window. The whole thing reeks of poor planning and going for what the manager wants.
When the recruitment department isn’t fit for purpose then the manager is going to dominate. The club haven’t appointed someone or built a structure to allow anything other than manager to be in charge.

The manager should be involved but there has to be a plan beyond the manager, ETH could be gone this season and then that’s the whole plan out the window again.

Anthony was never worth that money, the club couldn’t even afford to really spend that but it happened anyway. When you look at our FFP issues why are we spending huge fees on people like Casemiro. There’s just no plan, and it’s all a big mess.

Superunknown

Part of the problem is that we keep mediocre players around for too often or that we give players too many chances or too much time to come good without too much to show for it. So, not only do we get fleeced when we buy new players, we also allow potentially valuable players to depreciate in value before we move them on. We decided to move Di Maria and Lukaku on fairly quickly and, although they both didn't work out for us, it wasn't too much of a hit to the club. We gave them both a chance, it didn't work out, we moved on from them quickly.

We've gone from that to Martial now having his 9th year at the club. We feck around too much hoping and praying for players to come good, and time just passes us by. The onus should be on the players to prove that they deserve to start and play for Manchester United. Not just showing it in glimpses, but actually proving it on a consistent basis. Other top sides would have shifted Martial on by now. Sancho can call himself fortunate to be going into his third season. McTominay and Maguire are fortunate to still be here. There's too many cases of this. There's no challenge for places here. Garnacho is getting into the side much sooner and more regularly than he should be because he's surrounded by utter dross. Martial is still on the bench because we are very poor at identifying candidates for those forward positions. We've done very little to rectify that this window.

tompo18

Kane was the one that got away, it's almost certain he would have been a success story at United (from our perspective).

Champ

Continue to back mediocrity like you backed Ole a few seasons ago. We are united, our standards should be much better than this
Again, feck off :lol:

Come back when you have something intelligent or interesting to say, until then you are a stain on the already grubby bedsheet of this forum.

Champ

Evidence says we had talks for Kane but couldn't afford him, hence the reason we went for Hojlund, who hasn't even kicked a ball yet so can't be written off.
Mount is a good player and obviously someone the club and manager wanted onboard.
The keeper situation is a strange one but pretty sure Onana was always the first choice for EtH,
Not sure there was a lack of planning as such, just more a lack of funds.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Mason mount, the English mctominay, so we brought this guy for 60-65 million and he only had a year left on his contract, this is worse than the sancho transfer at least sancho looked like a potential world beater when we signed him, most people knew mount was bang average
McTominay is actually English but chooses to play for Scotland :lol: .

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Again, feck off :lol:

Come back when you have something intelligent or interesting to say, until then you are a stain on the already grubby bedsheet of this forum.
At least I didnt back a failed manager even though I told you ole wasn’t the right manager to take us forward. You can try 1000 times, you will never prove me wrong my personal stalker.:)

Loon

:lol:
Neville basically said, "sod the outgoing players, buy a midfielder now."

Amrabat is there for the taking.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
At least I didnt back a failed manager even though I told you ole wasn’t the right manager to take us forward. You can try 1000 times, you will never prove me wrong my personal stalker.:)
Poch wouldn't either if his last year with spuds and PSG is anything to go by.