Our youngsters in the first team 2019-2020

Crashoutcassius

Hopefully greenwood gomes and tuanzebe are rotating along with signed players like awb, dalot, longstaff and jadon sancho in the future... so much talent there

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I hope that some of these youngsters that go on tour will really show Ole that the club do not have to spend millions of pounds on new signings, but realistically, I think they will show that they certainly have ability, but perhaps not the expertise needed at the highest level. I'm sure that a lot of these lads will get games in the EFL trophy, EFL cup, and Europa League, and by the end of the season we will see who has progressed and who has not. I'm hopeful that Greenwood, Garner and Gomes will have established themselves as first team players, with Levitt, Laird and Henderson coming through in 2020/21.

captain666

Hope the youngsters have a good tour with plenty of game time,then hopefully we can blood some more next season,one at a time in the EPL.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Hope the youngsters have a good tour with plenty of game time,then hopefully we can blood some more next season,one at a time in the EPL.
I think that is the way to go. All the acadamy lads that go will mature at different rates, and it could be a surprise who shows up on the tour to be ready for a first team call up in the EPL. As I've said before, I think most of the academy lads will get plenty of playing time in the EFL cup and Trophy matches and two or three may play in Europa League, but I agree that playing too many youngsters in the EPL at the same time could be detrimental to the team, and to those players. We really need a stable team of about 7 or 8 regulars, so the younger lads can be integrated into a solid unit. People talk about having a solid spine in the team, and this is true, that is the first thing that Ole needs to establish.

Bestietom

The most exciting part about next season. Ole has underlined this many times - blooding youngsters and bringing them to the fore - the most positive aspect of his appointment IMV.

Laird and O'Conner have possibly a lesser chance to get games here next season, what with 6 centre backs (including Tuanzebe) on our books and the club rumoured to be after a new centre back and a right back.

Henderson might go on loan again, getting games in the Prem as first choice, but we don't know what's gonna happen with de Gea.

But the quartet I'm most interested in is Garner, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong. Will these boys all get decent amount of games next season? I'd prefer to see them get all the Europa League group games (leaving key first team players at Carrington for Thursday away games, refreshed for league games).

Do people think they'll all get a fair chance this season with Ole in charge? Who will go out on loan? Will anyone do a "Sancho"?
O' Connor won't make it at CB he will be a very good RB.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think we could see some loans again for the likes of Tuanzebe, Henderson, and J.Pereira.

The goalkeeping situation is a bit up in the air, but I expect de Gea to at least run down his contract if not sign a new one (and be first choice this season). Romero will stay and Grant has a year left, he'll be released after that. J.Pereira and Henderson will get another years experience and if de Gea is to go, I'd think Henderson could come back and be our no.1 if he has a second successful season at Sheffield United. J.Pereira would either be third choice, or if Romero finally goes he could be our no.2 and we roll with that for a while.

Tuanzebe I would like to get one more year at Aston Villa, let's see what he can do in the Premier League for a full season and let him develop. We're going to sign a big-money or experienced CB and we'll do well to sell one of our own it seems. It'll just be a bit difficult for him to get in the squad IMO, it's a year too early and a second year at Aston Villa is just very appealing to everyone I would expect. If he is successful, I'd expect us to maybe sell a CB for the second season in a row and he is part of the first-team squad on his return.

As for the other players, I wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood not go on loan, but it depends on how seriously Ole is going to take the Europa League. I personally think we have quite a good run at 4th Place if we decide to rotate in the Europa (unless our reserves/youngsters get us to a last 16/8 then I'd want us to take it more seriously). Garner I think will have to go on loan or stay in the youth set-up considering we're looking at strengthening the position with one or two signings. Chong and Gomes are in a similar boat, but I can see them and Greenwood making some Europa League squads. Unfortunately despite Ole likely to promote youth, I think most of the time these guys will be starting on the bench even in the lesser games. I'm OK with it though, but I'd hope some of them make it once we start letting players such as Young, Matic, Mata, Jones, and Sanchez move on instead of signing replacements.

Forgot about Fosu-Mensah, but I think he is actually not going to cut it unfortunately. Probably another season on loan but I expect him to be sold or eventually released. I really liked him but I just think he isn't quite as good as we hoped.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably an unpopular opinion, but from the youngsters who made cameo's last year, i don't think any of them are ready to properly play a role in the first team and all could do with a proper loan spell at a decent club - especially Gomes and Chong.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They play without fear, with plenty of intensity and swagger. I really hope they'll all get plenty of games this season. Long-term, given their talents, it is better than fielding average players. Short-term, it might even produce better results too.

In a 4231 my preference would be for Gomes to play on the left, Chong fighting for that position. Martial and Rashford to slug it out for the centre forward spot. James and Greenwood fighting for the right side. Tuanzebe third choice after Maguire and Lindelof. Lingard will hopefully be backup to Dybala at #10.

Pereira is not a wide player, nor a central midfielder. If he hits form, he could be fighting for the #10 spot if there's no Dybala. Then it would be him and Mata competing with Lingard (who is easily most suited to the pressing game).

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's shaping up like Gomes and Greenwood, at the very least, will be relied upon. Whether or not Garner is ready might be a moot point as he might have to be if there's even one injury in midfield.

I hope to see at least 2 of them in the matchday squad against Chelsea. Wouldn't be surprised if Gomes or Greenwood bag a starting place.

Thankfully Tuanzebe did not go anywhere on loan..

diarm

They play without fear, with plenty of intensity and swagger. I really hope they'll all get plenty of games this season. Long-term, given their talents, it is better than fielding average players. Short-term, it might even produce better results too.

In a 4231 my preference would be for Gomes to play on the left, Chong fighting for that position. Martial and Rashford to slug it out for the centre forward spot. James and Greenwood fighting for the right side. Tuanzebe third choice after Maguire and Lindelof. Lingard will hopefully be backup to Dybala at #10.

Pereira is not a wide player, nor a central midfielder. If he hits form, he could be fighting for the #10 spot if there's no Dybala. Then it would be him and Mata competing with Lingard (who is easily most suited to the pressing game).
Wait. You want our (potentially) best CAM to fight it out with our only natural right winger for the left wing position. Then our new left wing signing to fight it out with a natural centre forward for the right wing and only field one of Martial and Rashford at a time?

It's certainly thinking outside the box. I'll give you that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
With no replacement for Lukaku & the signing of attacking mid mean I expect Ole to give both Greenwood & Gomes a lot of chance. And if this what he thinks right now, I’m with him.

We aren’t challenging the league this season, there is no better time than now if we want to give those two chances. They might not be consistent but those two are the future and we should start thinking about giving them proper development & chances in first team. Really excited.

Dazzmondo

People are going to be mad when they see Mata and Lingard starting against Chelsea

GJNJ

People are going to be mad when they see Mata and Lingard starting against Chelsea
Not really, I don't expect them to be thrown in straight away against Chelsea, but over the cause of the next few weeks I would expect them to get minutes/starts. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood start against Chelsea.