Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

Gordon S

Think he would like to play with Pogba and Martial. They all seem to share the same laid back, to cool for school swagger. I think they could create some magic here.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Liverpool would bethe perfect fit. Chelsea not so much, don't thinkbthey could use him. He would look shit at United. The problems you have can't be solved simply by adding players.

Bwuk

Liverpool would bethe perfect fit. Chelsea not so much, don't thinkbthey could use him. He would look shit at United. The problems you have can't be solved simply by adding players.
He wouldn’t get a game at Liverpool.

KennyBurner

At the moment Liverpool look just as attractive if not more then utd.
I highly doubt that. Only thing attractive about Liverpool right now is their league position. Then again arsenal have finished ahead of us more times the past 8 years but are still not as attractive.

Our main competitions are Chelsea and city. Only those clubs can really compete with us financially. Let’s wait till January though to also view league positions.

TAA

Supports
liverpool
I highly doubt that. Only thing attractive about Liverpool right now is their league position. Then again arsenal have finished ahead of us more times the past 8 years but are still not as attractive.

Our main competitions are Chelsea and city. Only those clubs can really compete with us financially. Let’s wait till January though to also view league positions.
A better manager (at this present time) and a far better playing style would be rather attractive one would have thought. financially we might not be able to compete ( we are no pauper club by any means) but in all other aspect i believe we can.

KennyBurner

A better manager (at this present time) and a far better playing style would be rather attractive one would have thought. financially we might not be able to compete ( we are no pauper club by any means) but in all other aspect i believe we can.
What about first team football? There is a whole right wing waiting for him at United. Do you think he will bench mane or salah. He has the potential too but isn’t there yet. My point still stands that we are a better fit for him.

Are football could also change at any time given the personnel. 3 years klopp has been there and nothing. Playing style is nice when your winning things just ask Barcelona.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He wouldn’t get a game at Liverpool.
Don't know. He was brillant at Dortmund though I'd also rate Salah, Mane and Firmino ahead of him. But there are injuries and rotations.

But I'll guarantee you he wouldn't look too great at United. It is a systemic issue that your attackers won't function. Martial is also insanely talented (even more so than Dembele IMO) but struggled for long time.

Zoo

Ousmane Dembele continues to cause controversy at Barcelona and RAC1 have now revealed that after not attending training on Wednesday because he was suffering from gastroenteritis, the Frenchman took an hour and a half to inform the club of his absence.

Barcelona tried to contact the player when he didn't turn up to the session, but were unable to get hold of him.

90 minutes later Dembele called to explain that he was struggling with stomach pain and was then allowed to stay at home.

On Friday, the 21-year-old underwent 'specific work' according to the club.

It is still unknown whether he is doing so because of the illness or a niggle, or for another reason.

The discomfort that exists within the club with the player is evident. Thursday's incident is not an isolated one.

It has become a relatively frequent occurrence that Dembele arrives late for training.

That has been too commonplace since his arrival at the club in the summer of 2017.
Until now, the club had covered for these lapses in discipline from the player, but now they are beginning to get tired of his antics.

We will have to wait and see what Ernesto Valverde says in the press conference prior to Sunday's match against Real Betis.

Dembele is having a hard time adapting to life at Barcelona and what the highest level of professional football means.

It isn't just about the constant time-keeping problems, he also hasn't followed the diet that is required for an elite footballer, has made inopportune trips and hasn't fully integrated with the group.

On purely sporting terms on the field, he also fails to understand the mechanisms of the team.

He has great speed, is a devastating dribbler with an eye for goal but tactically, he continues making many mistakes.
https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2018/11/09/5be5790322601db5028b4661.html

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Gastroenteritis + work at the gym the day after= He went out until late and didn´t pick up the phone

Nedu

Supports
Barcelona
Any truth to the rumours linking him with Liverpool?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So sad to see Barca having disciplinary problems with a player who they had go on strike to force a move.

A real tragedy :(

So ,what exactly is going on with Dembele ?
Every month we seem to be getting news that he's finding it hard to adapt to life in Spain and that he's continually linked with every major club overseas.

Was Barca's move from merely just reactionary,purely based on the club losing one of its 3 shining lights in Neymar ?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Was Barca's move from merely just reactionary,purely based on the club losing one of its 3 shining lights in Neymar ?
Pretty much. Youl'll struggle to find a player as good as Dembele who is as incompatible with Barca's playing style. They simply don't match. I believe Juventus or Liverpool exemplarily would be a much better fit.

The thing is, when Dembele receives the ball his priority is attacking but at Barca he has to emphasize more on ball retention and that is not his strength. He'd do better in a system where he is asked to go full risk instead of controlling the ball until the right opportunity unfolds.

el3mel

He needs a move. It's simply not working for him there. Great and exception talent imo, but best for everyone, him and Barca, to part away. His star faded there while it was on the up at BVB.

Last edited:

marktan

Would love him for us. Don't care about attitude, his talent is there and I think he'd suit the PL more than he does La Liga. Martial and Dembele on the wings, supported by a ball playing link-up striker, and we'd be able to challenge City and Pool's attacking style of football.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Would love him for us. Don't care about attitude, his talent is there and I think he'd suit the PL more than he does La Liga. Martial and Dembele on the wings, supported by a ball playing link-up striker, and we'd be able to challenge City and Pool's attacking style of football.
Of course Dembele would be an upgrade but your individual quality is already great. Your problem is that simply fielding good players is not enough anymore. A good attacking team needs build up and attacking patterns, studied runs and so forth. I'm willing to bet that every single one of your players would look better when attacking than they do now in a real system. You already have the players for a similar approach to Klopp's, exemplarily.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our individual quality is not great.

marktan

Of course Dembele would be an upgrade but your individual quality is already great. Your problem is that simply fielding good players is not enough anymore. A good attacking team needs build up and attacking patterns, studied runs and so forth. I'm willing to bet that every single one of your players would look better when attacking than they do now in a real system. You already have the players for a similar approach to Klopp's, exemplarily.
Your point on attacking philosophy is true, but on players it is not. I know it's common to shit on Mourinho's style of play, but I'd criticise him more for his recruitment with us, which sadly was one of his strong points at most of his previous jobs but has faltered with us.

Take our players for example - our wide attacking options are Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez. Not one of them are currently good enough for a top side, and barring Martial who himself is very inconsistent none of them can dribble past a player. Compare that to City, Liverpool and Chelsea who have Sane/Sterling/Mahrez + Silva, Salah/Mane, and Hazard/Willian.

Really our only genuine top quality attacker is Pogba, which is a shame because we know he can thrive surrounded by quality attackers. Swap our attack with any one of City, Liverpools and Chelseas and you'd see a world of difference in our play.

yfoFC

Your point on attacking philosophy is true, but on players it is not. I know it's common to shit on Mourinho's style of play, but I'd criticise him more for his recruitment with us, which sadly was one of his strong points at most of his previous jobs but has faltered with us.

Take our players for example - our wide attacking options are Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez. Not one of them are currently good enough for a top side, and barring Martial who himself is very inconsistent none of them can dribble past a player. Compare that to City, Liverpool and Chelsea who have Sane/Sterling/Mahrez + Silva, Salah/Mane, and Hazard/Willian.

Really our only genuine top quality attacker is Pogba, which is a shame because we know can thrive surrounded by quality attackers. Swap our attack with any one of City, Liverpools and Chelseas and you'd see a world of difference in our play.
Pogba is better than martial at attacking?.. wow

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Really our only genuine top quality attacker is Pogba, which is a shame because we know he can thrive surrounded by quality attackers. Swap our attack with any one of City, Liverpools and Chelseas and you'd see a world of difference in our play.
This post is embarrassing.
Pogba is better than Martial at attacking?.. wow
Not uncommon to come across trainwreck and embarrassing posts like that one on the Caf sadly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There are some suggestions Barcelona are the ones leaking stuff and the disciplinary issues are exaggerated.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There are some suggestions Barcelona are the ones leaking stuff and the disciplinary issues are exaggerated.
The episode of him missing to report his "illness" was 100% Barcelona leaking it to the press. They're sending a message to the player to shape up. I doubt, however, that they will let him go. They'd be stupid to on both a financial and sporting sense. Dembele may not fit their style, but he has been productive and has won them important points/games with his presence through his goals/assists. They will also never get their money back, they might get 3/4 of it at best.

It's still worth keeping an eye on, the most damning evidence of him not integrating is his important equalizing goal against Rayo and not one teammate came to celebrate with him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The episode of him missing to report his "illness" was 100% Barcelona leaking it to the press. They're sending a message to the player to shape up. I doubt, however, that they will let him go. They'd be stupid to on both a financial and sporting sense. Dembele may not fit their style, but he has been productive and has won them important points/games with his presence through his goals/assists. They will also never get their money back, they might get 3/4 of it at best.

It's still worth keeping an eye on, the most damning evidence of him not integrating is his important equalizing goal against Rayo and not one teammate came to celebrate with him.
It's not just the transfer fee though. According to Football Leaks he's earning a base wage of €12m p.a. that can go up as high as €20m with bonus payments. They also have to worry about squad morale: if someone doesn't show any respect for the rules (while not even being the standout player) that can easily create issues with other players.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I'll guarantee you that Klopp would turn this squad into a real force attacking-wise. I also would've bought different players since I think the Sanchez signing wasn't very future oriented but the guy is a great footballer and showed it at Arsenal. All of your players looked/look much better when playing for different managers. That's no coincidence. Yes, Liverpool, City and probably also Chelsea have better squads but yours is more than good enough for fast transition football.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Klopp acolytes are the most delusional on here, Liverpool have scored less goals than City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Liverpool were sub-par last season as well until the second half of the season.

Liverpool being an attacking force is literally based on a cup run, when you ignore 75% of his time at Liverpool you can say that he has made them an attacking force. They are certainly not an attacking force this season, it's basically 3-4 months last season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Klopp acolytes are the most delusional on here, Liverpool have scored less goals than City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Liverpool were sub-par last season as well until the second half of the season.

Liverpool being an attacking force is literally based on a cup run, when you ignore 75% of his time at Liverpool you can say that he has made them an attacking force. They are certainly not an attacking force this season, it's basically 3-4 months last season.
I'm more in the Guardiola/Sarri/Tuchel camp, actually. But your midfield doesn't fit their playing style bar probably Fred and maybe Mata if you play him there. But Pogba is probably the most Klopp-midfielder I've seen.

Besides that discrediting Liverpool's attacking prowess is boased. They may have a dry spell currently but they are immense.

el3mel

The quality is definitely not great on the right side. We are having number 10s and strikers shoehorned there. Dembele will be great addition if he covers this flank.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm more in the Guardiola/Sarri/Tuchel camp, actually. But your midfield doesn't fit their playing style bar probably Fred and maybe Mata if you play him there. But Pogba is probably the most Klopp-midfielder I've seen.

Besides that discrediting Liverpool's attacking prowess is boased. They may have a dry spell currently but they are immense.
Apparently stating facts about 3 teams being better going forward than Liverpool this season is biased. Liverpool were not an attacking force in 15/16, 16/17, half of 17/18 and 18/19 so far. They are so immense that they have been outscored considerably in 3 out of 4 seasons under Klopp.

Being underwhelming in attack for 2 months is not an accident it is by design. This is Klopp's doing, it is not an unintended consequence. Some Liverpool fans have been saying it for quite a while actually, he can't fix one tactical problem without making another. He only makes attacking teams by sacrificing at the back and vice versa, an incomplete system.

Saccharine

It's not just about adapting to life in Spain.
Deschamps has also clearly pointed to his arriving late habit in a conference ahead of the international games.

I don't watch Barcelona very often so I don't know how he has played over there but I was disappointed by his contribution to the French team last summer. The team was better off with him on the bench than on the pitch.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Apparently he has a video game addiction which is affecting his sleep and constant late nights on the PlayStation

Saccharine

I also remember a story when he was at Rennes.
Mickael Sylvestre was working there at that time. And he told the press that Dembele had threatened the club to leave everything and get back to live with his grandmother in Senegal because they were in disagreement over his first professional contract.

Adisa

Apparently he has a video game addiction which is affecting his sleep and constant late nights on the PlayStation
Does he live alone? Being homesick can explain that kind of behaviour. I'm not excusing it though.

el3mel

Attiude os something you can improve or make it more mature with a coach that can deal with it with some restrictions and definitely improves too as you grow up. I'm not fussed about it. He just needs to leave to reignite his career imo. Wrong move for everyone involved.

Cheekiey

Forget style of play, where would Dembele settle in? it seems to be his main problem. A club with a few French players? Barca seemed to of had that when he joined? United have a Case with a lot of French speaking players, but would that be enough?

steakpie

I would love for us to sign him, he would be perfect for the right wing, but I'm not sure of his attitude. I saw a picture of him wearing some crazy glasses. But then I suppose Pogba is the same and his attitude on the pitch is fine.

wythyred

Not convinced by this guy. Quiet clearly is technically excellent and has potential but for what he would cost and the fact we can't afford for another young inconsistent winger with a questionable attitude at the club makes me think there is no chance we would be interested if he was available.

Adisa

Not convinced by this guy. Quiet clearly is technically excellent and has potential but for what he would cost and the fact we can't afford for another young inconsistent winger with a questionable attitude at the club makes me think there is no chance we would be interested if he was available.
There's no winger in the world that's consistent. His output throughout his career is brilliant and looking what he brings. The upside far outweighs the downside.
Pretty sure we won't sign a better right winger than him.

wythyred

There's no winger in the world that's consistent. His output throughout his career is brilliant and looking what he brings. The upside far outweighs the downside.
Pretty sure we won't sign a better right winger than him.
Of course there is..

Hazard says hi.