Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think the attitude thing is overblown. He has had a massive issue with professionalism when it comes to time management and showing up to training on time, but I don't think he has a bad attitude and Xavi's actually been very complimentary of him and his work ethic in training. He has a suspect past, the way he forced his way out of Dortmund was definitely a case of bad attitude, but I think he's grown since then and Tuchel is a massive fan of his, considers him one of the best talents he's ever managed so I have no doubts he'll go for him. People grow up and become more mature, let's hope that's what's happening with him.

It's just a massive gamble because of his health, and he is a player that can frustrate by doing the impossible in one sequence but then messing up the simple pass in the end. He hasn't really shown much progress but he was so devastating already at 19 years old that even if he stayed at that level his whole career, he'd still be a great player for any side but the most important thing is to be available, and he simply isn't enough.
Agreed with all those. Don’t know enough about his “attitude” but simply going on what I’ve read on here and in the papers (the Dortmund training, the racial controversy re Asians with him & Griezmann, late for training etc). Tbh, it’s just not a great look for someone as young as him but as you rightly pointed out, sometimes they grow up. Injuries (and his reported wage demands) are of great concern as well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently he's agreed to join Chelsea in the summer.
We would need to offload someone first though, possibly Werner and potentially one of Ziyech and Pulisic too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
At his best, he could do anything with the ball.
I really like watching him. He seems like he does a lot of things off the cuff and that kind of style speaks to me in an era of nerdy tactical coaches and robotic players executing tactical instructions to the tee.

NoPace

It's almost not worth discussing because he's obviously more than good enough on the pitch and the off field stuff or his medicals we don't have any idea.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It's almost not worth discussing because he's obviously more than good enough on the pitch and the off field stuff or his medicals we don't have any idea.
We do have an idea of his medicals though. In the 5 years he's been at Barca he's been out injured for over 700 days. Missing 2 years in 5 should be a very big marker on why not to sign him no matter how good he is.

NoPace

We do have an idea of his medicals though. In the 5 years he's been at Barca he's been out injured for over 700 days. Missing 2 years in 5 should be a very big marker on why not to sign him no matter how good he is.
Depends on the nature of the injuries. Also this logic would have seen us not ask for Robben in return for Cristiano when we sold him to Madrid, and that probably would have been a massive mistake.

He's a fantastic 24 year old player on a free at a position where we have no starter at the moment, it has to be taken seriously. Ideally it's a shorter deal in case of injury problems and we do have some young talent at the position.

Giggsy13

We should be going all in to sign both Dembele and Rudiger on a free. Greenwood is finished and Bailly/Jones likely will be off the books too. The free transfer market is an interesting one and we could really strengthen by adding players on a free and still having a substantial part of the budget left to strengthen the midfield.

Corridor of Uncertainty

We should be going all in to sign both Dembele and Rudiger on a free. Greenwood is finished and Bailly/Jones likely will be off the books too. The free transfer market is an interesting one and we could really strengthen by adding players on a free and still having a substantial part of the budget left to strengthen the midfield.
Rudiger, definitely. Dembele, no. We have enough players robbing a living on the treatment table as it is.

Mainoldo

On a free. I feel like it’s good business. We need the wing options.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Injured more than Pogba ey, OD needs to go elsewhere thanks.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Depends on the nature of the injuries. Also this logic would have seen us not ask for Robben in return for Cristiano when we sold him to Madrid, and that probably would have been a massive mistake.

He's a fantastic 24 year old player on a free at a position where we have no starter at the moment, it has to be taken seriously. Ideally it's a shorter deal in case of injury problems and we do have some young talent at the position.
The big difference between Robben and Dembele is attitude. Putting injuries aside (very hard to do) Dembeles attitude has been questionable at best. There's no denying his talent but the last thing we need right now is another coaster ala Di Maria.

A 24 year old Frenchman, on ludicrous wages, who has all the talent in the world but questionable desire, injury prone and an agent not afraid to put the boot in. What could possibly go wrong?

King29

We shouldn't be going anywhere near a player like Dembele with his injury record.

marktan

Another great performance - 2 brilliant assists in the first half alone. His ability to run past people at pace with both feet and pick a pass is unique.

I know the injury record is a concern but he'd easily be my top transfer target alongside a DM. A Matic like passer from deep and Dembele running at defenders.. we'd have something that resembles a top team again.

So it probably won't happen. Probably chase after Rice or Bellingham for £100m a pop (both are okay but wildly overpriced), a £100m striker or the next Wan Bissaka or VDB equivalent in a position we don't need as badly. God I hate our scouting department.

ReallyUSA

He’s shining bright just in time right? Unless he comes on 150 for 2 or 3, I think it’s insane to trust him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He’s shining bright just in time right? Unless he comes on 150 for 2 or 3, I think it’s insane to trust him.
Dembélé has been prolific and generally good whenever he was fit. The issue has been with his hamstring.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would genuinely have been the perfecf player for Ole. Not sure now

Idxomer

I know people said that about Sancho for him to come play primarily on the left but Dembele might be the only winger in the world now who's equally effective from both sides.

jesperjaap

Injury record and wages not good, attitude we only know what we read in the press. I remember people slating Grealish and his attitude as a signing because of some of the off field nonsense he had been involved in.

But for a free transfer and all of his ability it kid of evens things up and he is the right age.

The trouble for me with a right wing signing this summer, is nearly all the best wide players are left sided. Outside of Doku I cant think of many others where as on the left there are loads.

ti vu

If he could stay fit would be a no brainer
When you put it this way, this is a big no to sign Dembele.

Dembele is the type you can class as made of glass, and will likely get all kind of niggling injuries for the rest of his career, even under the best care. I don't think our medical team is that good.

IMO, he is now a luxury player due to the injury proneness factor, which in turn means that he should only be signed if he's paid at best as 2nd tier highest earner.

Dembele is currently on ridiculous wage and he turned down Barcelona offer to extend. I don't see it is a good idea to get him for his demand of improved wage. Compromising to this type of deal may potentially end up worse than Alexis, and Real Madrid Bale contract renewal, since Dembele hasn't really earned his Barcelona current wage to begin with.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder if he is still going to Chelsea this summer. Not many clubs out there can afford his wages and sign on fee. Man United and PSG are definitely capable. Sancho on the left and Dembele on the right is a no brainer given he comes for "free".

RoyH1

When you put it this way, this is a big no to sign Dembele.

Dembele is the type you can class as made of glass, and will likely get all kind of niggling injuries for the rest of his career, even under the best care. I don't think our medical team is that good.

IMO, he is now a luxury player due to the injury proneness factor, which in turn means that he should only be signed if he's paid at best as 2nd tier highest earner.

Dembele is currently on ridiculous wage and he turned down Barcelona offer to extend. I don't see it is a good idea to get him for his demand of improved wage. Compromising to this type of deal may potentially end up worse than Alexis, and Real Madrid Bale contract renewal, since Dembele hasn't really earned his Barcelona current wage to begin with.
Agree. He's the kind of guy that would completely flop for us.

Give him a clean re-start in a place with a top manager/medical team like Bayern and he'll be world class again.

Irrational.

Another assist today in El Clasico.

He makes beating a man on the wing look so effortless. If he has his mojo back he would be a boon for any team on a free.

marktan

He's been racking up assists lately.

I genuinely think he would change our team, he's one of the best wide forwards out there. The ability to beat players with both feet and assist with both feet at speed is unique.

I didn't think Pogba, Lukaku, Sancho or Maguire would change our team, but I think he would. Were it up to me I'd pay the 350k or whatever it is that he wants and call it a bargain. His injury record isn't as bad as thought either, will get 30+ appearances this season and had 40+ in last 2 / 3. Looking forward to whatever it is the jokers running our club have in store this summer though

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's always been impactful, the biggest difference now is he's cutting way down on the boneheaded moves and focusing much more on what makes him one of the best in the world. Xavi has been a godsend for him, it's crazy how just a little support (and keeping away from the physio table) can do for a talented player.

Irrational.

He's been racking up assists lately.

I genuinely think he would change our team, he's one of the best wide forwards out there. The ability to beat players with both feet and assist with both feet at speed is unique.

I didn't think Pogba, Lukaku, Sancho or Maguire would change our team, but I think he would. Were it up to me I'd pay the 350k or whatever it is that he wants and call it a bargain. His injury record isn't as bad as thought either, will get 30+ appearances this season and had 40+ in last 2 / 3. Looking forward to whatever it is the jokers running our club have in store this summer though
On a free we shouldn’t even think twice.

Funny when there was talk of us being in for him everyone was turning their nose up at him, he’s a quality player.

Rutan

If there is a chance we have to get him. Fixes our right wing, and gets us a match-winner on his day.

Status
Not open for further replies.