Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

That makes perfect sense for them to not allow it without the added year. If the loan is off the table, we might be able to get a cut price permanent deal now, if Dembele tries to force his way out some more.
Find it hard to believe the club are willing to trust his fitness over a longer term

Judas

Open to offers
A fit Dembele is a fantastic player. Calm down.
Aye, bit bored of people saying that though, everyone and their parrot knows that, he just never is fit, so what's the point of going on about him being fit? The main story with him is his injury woes, its the headline when anyone think of him these days.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Aye, bit bored of people saying that though, everyone and their parrot knows that, he just never is fit, so what's the point of going on about him being fit? The main story with him is his injury woes, its the headline when anyone think of him these days.
The way we’re managed and coached Sancho won’t be nearly as effective for us as he is for Dortmund.

Chairman Steve

I guess as a positive example, I'd have loved to seen this place when RVN ruptured his ACL with PSV. ACL is arguably the worst of the worst injuries a pro athlete can suffer... that one miniscule muscle tissue in the knee being so crucial to your legs.

And RVN averaged 50 appearances in all competitions for us in his first three seasons, when we went back to PSV and bought him and him spending an entire season out.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's a terrible deal for Barcelona, they need cash and they won't have it. And no I don't think that it's worth it to spend 60m on a player that could be damaged good, a loan is ideal for United in particular if Dembélé doesn't extend with Barcelona.
I agree a loan with an option to buy at the end would be ideal. Apparently we're trying for a loan with no buy option though. If he was to come here and rediscover his form, Barca would then ask for 100m+ most likely.

Chief123

A permanent deal makes absolutely no sense for anyone except Barca. Not when the price being quoted is 50-60m euro which is ridiculous based on his circumstances over the last 3 years.

It’s pretty clear Utd only want a loan as they have intention to return for Sancho.

If the Dembele deal is any kind of permanent deal like a loan with obligation to buy or outright purchase, that’s essentially the end of any future pursuit for Sancho. There is no way they would go for Sancho with Dembele signed permenantly when we have major issues in the rest of the team that would need fixing next summer.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I guess as a positive example, I'd have loved to seen this place when RVN ruptured his ACL with PSV. ACL is arguably the worst of the worst injuries a pro athlete can suffer... that one miniscule muscle tissue in the knee being so crucial to your legs.

And RVN averaged 50 appearances in all competitions for us in his first three seasons, when we went back to PSV and bought him and him spending an entire season out.
But did he tear it like 5 times in a year..

ManchesterYoda

Dembele doesn't have to be automatic starter and play every game of the season.
Instead of having only Greenwood that is effective playing from the right, we hopefully will add Dembele and Traore.
It's important for the squad to have 3 options and not only 1.

Chief123

But that was one major injury which he suffered and medical checks showed he fully recovered.

Dembele has had many injuries of similar nature over the last 3 years. There’s no comparison to RVN’s one injury.

croadyman

A permanent deal makes absolutely no sense for anyone except Barca. Not when the price being quoted is 50-60m euro which is ridiculous based on his circumstances over the last 3 years.

It’s pretty clear Utd only want a loan as they have intention to return for Sancho.

If the Dembele deal is any kind of permanent deal like a loan with obligation to buy or outright purchase, that’s essentially the end of any future pursuit for Sancho. There is no way they would go for Sancho with Dembele signed permenantly when we have major issues in the rest of the team that would need fixing next summer.
How do you think this is going to pan out over the next few hours then

bdspeedy

So... Ole insists on only bringing in players with the right mindset at reasonable cost and we will end up with Cavani and Dembele, who NOBODY ELSE WANTED, instead of Sancho who was absolutely buzzing to join us and is only beginning the asscent to the height of his powers. Vavani and Dembele are both are cracking players WHEN FIT but are both coming strictly because of the money. We've somehow forgotten Di Maria and Sanchez. We are proper f-ed as a club.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Think Utd still harbor hopes of getting Sancho in the summer hence why they are only interested in loan deal
I doubt we've got much chance of him now though. If we couldn't get him with no-one else interested, what chance will we have with more competition and bridges burnt with Dortmund?

Chief123

How do you think this is going to pan out over the next few hours then
Personally, I don’t see him coming. A loan with no option to buy would be too good to be true.

Unfortunately, due to our history of shit shows it would not surprise me at all if we sign him on a permanent basis for 50m euro. We have history of craziness.

ManchesterYoda

Common sense says it should be a loan because of injury record. Then if he has a very good season, we can sign permanently.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the point in moaning endlessly about it though? We all know about his past injuries, there is no point going on and on about it and as mentioned in this thread players like Robben and Van Persie have had similar issues and they still managed to have pretty good careers with proper support. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to look forward and try to not be negative for the sake of it.

Chief123

Dembele, Cavani and Telles were clearly not Ole’s first choices. I’m not even sure if Cavani or Dembele was on the list at all.

What was pretty clear from Ole’s interview yesterday when he was asked a question about transfers, he clearly looked peed off. He answered the question bluntly and just bit his tongue.

SATA

Is there even enough time left to do a deal now? I suspect not. Player will have to do medical and then fly to Carrington to sign a contract. Memphis himself too to Barca

croadyman

Personally, I don’t see him coming. A loan with no option to buy would be too good to be true.

Unfortunately, due to our history of shit shows it would not surprise me at all if we sign him on a permanent basis for 50m euro. We have history of craziness.
I would take a permanent deal or even a loan with obligation to buy over nothing at all even if it means we don't go back for Sancho again, however my preference would definitely be a loan with option to buy of course as that would help to keep things open for now.

Drifter

American
From the Beeb:

Manchester United's hopes of signing Ousmane Dembele from Barcelona are receding.

United want Dembele on loan - and are prepared to pay a fee for that - but Dembele wants a permanent transfer.

Unless one of those parties has a significant change of mind, the France international will stay where he is.

ReallyUSA

Is there even enough time left to do a deal now? I suspect not. Player will have to do medical and then fly to Carrington to sign a contract. Memphis himself too to Barca
The update right now says it's off because Barca want to add an extra year to his existing contract.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Common sense says it should be a loan because of injury record. Then if he has a very good season, we can sign permanently.
Not with no buy option we won't. If he has a very good season they will ask for €100m+ again.

He only has 2 years left on his contract anyway so Barca aren't willing to loan him for nothing, unless he renews his contract beforehand.

ArjenIsM3

Believe you can sign players pending medical on deadline day if all the paperwork is done and they'll let you do the medical tomorrow. Not sure though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is the point in moaning endlessly about it though? We all know about his past injuries, there is no point going on and on about it and as mentioned in this thread players like Robben and Van Persie have had similar issues and they still managed to have pretty good careers with proper support. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to look forward and try to not be negative for the sake of it.
RvP joined us off the back of a stellar season with Arsenal proving fitness over an enduring campaign. To what extent would that be comparable to the situation we have with Dembele, who managed to make just 5 league appearances in the entire season?

I do appreciate that it's a broken record at times, but often we feel it needs to be repeated, when we read posts about a potential impact Dembele can make, it sort of brings back the urge to remind that the man is absolutely broken.

Redcy

rvp, robben and giggs injuries bear no semblance. Both those players played over 30 games in their injury hit seasons.

however let’s hope if he does come all his injuries are behind him.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Take the permanent deal and stop just presuming that we will have another free run at Sancho next summer because otherwise we are very likely to end up with neither player
Utd are a mess and Ed is a joke, but still you cannot expect the club to splash out on a player with a real question mark over form and fitness.

SATA

Take the permanent deal and stop just presuming that we will have another free run at Sancho next summer because otherwise we are very likely to end up with neither player
Yeah pay up and get him and hope for the best. Sancho ain’t a guarantee next summer

Chief123

I’m all for being positive. But there’s a fine line between being positive and just blind hope.

None of the players you mentioned had similar injury record to Dembele. This is a 23 year old who’s barely played since he was 20.

The negativity around this potential transfer is not unwarranted. The risk heavily outweighs the reward for this transfer. I don’t believe it’s being negative for the sake of it. Especially when signing this player on a permanent would have a huge bearing on any other potential forwards we sign in the near future.

kps88

Don't think it's anything to do with Sancho really; it's all about his injury record. If he turns out to be amazing, we won't even have room for Sancho next summer.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Calling him a class player when he's fit is a bit like saying I'm a rich man on payday. It doesn't last long. Within days bills and Direct Debits start going out and you realise you're not so flush.

Demebele will get injured. A lot. He's made of glass.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Don't think it's anything to do with Sancho really; it's all about his injury record. If he turns out to be amazing, we won't even have room for Sancho next summer.
Which would be perfectly fine.

Mercurial

Did some reading up from links in this thread, complete proximal hamstring tear on one side, surgery less than 1 year ago. Incomplete tear on the other side. Before that severe mental adjustment issues, disciplinary problems where his agent and uncle has to move in to babysit eating and sleeping schedule private chef to prevent him eating junk. Seem a nice homely fella but seem like he was grossly mismanaged and in need of some surrogate parenting, the premium Barca paid you would think Dortmund would work on that side too being specialized in young adult talents. Sounds like Pato injury plagued of the career ending types but with unlimited ceiling. Getting back from those types of injuries require a lot mental attitude, does he have that when he can't manage himself? Tricky situation with high reward and abyamal low.
Guess on a smart deal protecting us it would be worth a punt but has strings attached. The only way this makes sense if if the risk is shared by Barca and us fairly.

Here be dragons.

seegoblu

If United doesn't get Sancho in this window, I think we can forget about getting him in the future. Without Champions League next year (and let's be honest, this team, as constructed is not finishing in the top 4), Sancho's interest will be marginalized AND other clubs with Champions League next year will seek him out. So, if we don't get Sancho who is the best, attainable RW prospect we can secure? I think that is Dembele.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
RvP joined us off the back of a stellar season with Arsenal proving fitness over an enduring campaign. To what extent would that be comparable to the situation we have with Dembele, who managed to make just 5 league appearances in the entire season?

I do appreciate that it's a broken record at times, but often we feel it needs to be repeated, when we read posts about a potential impact Dembele can make, it sort of brings back the urge to remind that the man is absolutely broken.
I'm talking about RVP's career not his time at United, RVP barely played during his first years at Arsenal due to recurring injuries. And my point is that at the time no one could imagine that he could finally catch a break and put decent seasons together. There is a difference between acknowledge a clear issue with a player and continuously engaging in the doom and gloom while not even accepting a bit of positivity of hope, I mean you guys are having a problem with hypotheticals, not even posters claiming that everything will be alright for Dembélé.

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Fully agree. I believe we've got no chance of Sancho (likely no CL anyway) ever now, considering what we've pulled with Dortmund this year, so Dembele is the next best thing.

If loan plus option to buy is not going to happen, we should just get it done. Not being proactive is how we end up desperately searching for players on the last day every year to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.